• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Beats

The only stages I don't like playing on are the ones that pull the camera back really far or have a fixed camera (even if you're only two players on the stage) and the retro stages. I can handle the other types. :x

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The only stages I don't like playing on are the ones that pull the camera back really far or have a fixed camera (even if you're only two players on the stage) and the retro stages. I can handle the other types. :x

For my friendly matches with friends, we generally only turn off the completely fucked stages like 75m and Flat Zone X. edit: Pac-Land.. that stage..

What frustrates me about a bunch of stages is Sakurai's insistence that they won't put in a toggle for hazards.. while stages like Pyrosphere in All-Star mode clearly have such a toggle with Ridley never appearing.

Another wish list item for an update would be a toggle to turn any stage into a Battlefield clone. It would have been a much better choice than the Omega / FD stages in the first place. Like Omega stages, there could be some variety with the platforms and stage design, but keeping with the Battlefield theme.

DooD1234

For my friendly matches with friends, we generally only turn off the completely fucked stages like 75m and Flat Zone X. edit: Pac-Land.. that stage..

What frustrates me about a bunch of stages is Sakurai's insistence that they won't put in a toggle for hazards.. while stages like Pyrosphere in All-Star mode clearly have such a toggle with Ridley never appearing.

Another wish list item for an update would be a toggle to turn any stage into a Battlefield clone. It would have been a much better choice than the Omega / FD stages in the first place. Like Omega stages, there could be some variety with the platforms and stage design, but keeping with the Battlefield theme.
Rather than a battlefield only stages toggle, how would you feel about smashville only toggle? Smashville seems more loved to me by tournament goers than battlefield.

I kind of wish they would change the fire emblem coliseum stage to remove the walk offs. I like to fight there more on 1v1.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rather than a battlefield only stages toggle, how would you feel about smashville only toggle? Smashville seems more loved to me by tournament goers than battlefield.

I kind of wish they would change the fire emblem coliseum stage to remove the walk offs. I like to fight there more on 1v1.

Smashville would work fine as well, but I think Battlefield is probably a more realistic goal given Nintendo's vantage point.

Cronox

Banned
So guys, I just had the most satisfying set of matches in for glory in all my time playing this game so far. I'm playing Bowser against a guy who's actually pretty alright, but he changes character each match, so I have to basically relearn the matchup every round. Usually goes, he gets in some hits, then I figure out whatever his current shtick is and bring it around. Anyway, he took off my first life really quickly as DK, and I was a little miffed, so I decided to basically spend the rest of the match side-b'ing him. Thing about Bowser's side-b (grab to body slam for those who don't know) is, it's satisfying as hell to land, and I think it's Bowser's best mind-game sort of move - it rattles opponents to be manhandled like that, and for high damage too...

I literally could not believe that I got so many side-b's on him. I still have old habits from previous smash games where I want to aerial right before I hit the ground to cover my landing, I whiff and give myself extra landing lag all the time. But this guy was the opposite end, he was so afraid of landing lag he basically came like a baby to my waiting arms. I was barely able to see through the match after it cause I was still tearing up laughing. He got all salty and mirrored my Bowser shortly after, and got the same side-b treatment for it before he left in shame.

Maybe a "you had to be there" moment, but you can decide for yourselves when I upload it tomorrow...

Ok, I promised it so here it is. First 40 seconds are me playing terribly. Then I turn it around...

Bonus: that player got salty and mirror matched me.

On rewatching I notice that a) I keep getting beaten up in the first 40 seconds of matches, and b) of course I've got plenty more fine-tuning to do. But damn, this was amazing while it was happening. Kills me that I know I missed a few due to flubbed inputs - rolls when I meant to drop shield and side-b, etc.

Fuck halberd, I hate that stages hazards and janky ass edges and platforms.

Also why is this the 4th Smash Bros. game and the grab button is still only a macro instead of a specific grab input.

Yeah, I sure love trying to tether the ledge but my thumb is on the stick a bit too much so the game decides to make me do a FAir.

E: Windy Hill Zone isn't legal is it? The fucks up with that?
In the ranbats, you mean? I gave a list and asked what should be added to it. No one brought it up. /shrug

Man, fuck the methods for getting the custom moves/Mii outfits and hats. Fuck them so hard. Is there any simpler, sure fire way of getting loads? Or do I just have to keep playing Classic like a shmuck?

I didn't care until I found out there is a totally bitching Wizard's hat...
Smash Tour AFK.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Man, fuck the methods for getting the custom moves/Mii outfits and hats. Fuck them so hard. Is there any simpler, sure fire way of getting loads? Or do I just have to keep playing Classic like a shmuck?

I didn't care until I found out there is a totally bitching Wizard's hat...

I know them feels, bro. I have three challenges remaining.. one being the hats. I still have a massive eight to go and I haven't seen a single hat in the last 15 hours now. I've been changing it up between Master Orders, Crazy Orders, Target Blast resets, Trophy Rush, Smash Tour and just 99 stock Mii grinding. I've apparently wasted all my good RNG on Pokemon, because Smash is just fucking with me. Below is my usual haul from Crazy Orders. mrgrgr..

oNTFhMK.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ok, I promised it so here it is. First 40 seconds are me playing terribly. Then I turn it around...

On rewatching I notice that a) I keep getting beaten up in the first 40 seconds of matches, and b) of course I've got plenty more fine-tuning to do. But damn, this was amazing while it was happening. Kills me that I know I missed a few due to flubbed inputs - rolls when I meant to drop shield and side-b, etc.

I dunno what hurts more. Watching Bowser play like that or how bad your opponent was. If he fought me or Karst he would be crying.

Cronox

Banned
I dunno what hurts more. Watching Bowser play like that or how bad your opponent was. If he fought me or Karst he would be crying.

Ha I don't pretend to that I wouldn't get destroyed by half of the GAF players in this thread myself (as I have been in the ranbats)... but he was alright, honestly. Better than most for glory players. But when you're getting side-b'd repeatedly you look pretty bad.

Say, is anyone game for a more casual set of matches tonight? I really worked my hands out the past few days and I don't want to continue playing my best characters, but I don't wanna stop Smashing either lol. I don't mind changing the rules and having fun, so if anyone else is up for it hit me up. :)

Puruzi

Banned
Say, is anyone game for a more casual set of matches tonight? I really worked my hands out the past few days and I don't want to continue playing my best characters, but I don't wanna stop Smashing either lol. I don't mind changing the rules and having fun, so if anyone else is up for it hit me up. :)
I can play you in around 10-20 mins if nobody else plays you first.

Feedback on the first link:
1) Too much rolling (0:13).
2) Never Fair unless it is right after the hop, or you have big landing lag (0:23).
3) Shield grab more (0:13).
4) Flamethrower can be good for landing (0:30).
5) Don't fair while landing (0:37).
6) Grabs > side B unless you are KOing (0:44).
7) Maybe you fell asleep, but DK should not recover that easily (0:59).
8) Running grab has more range than side B; you would have grabbed him here (1:17).
9) Easy whiff punish missed (1:52).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I've been asking people why Windy Hill isn't legal, or at least being tested. Did any tournaments bother testing it? I know the wheel on the right and short blastline on the left are probably the reasons, but I think it's a fairly fair stage.

I hear Skyloft brought up a lot as well. I guess transformations having walk offs being too common is the main reason why it's not used. But yet Delfino, Castle Siege, etc..

E: Windy Hill Zone isn't legal is it? The fucks up with that?

For Windy Hill Zone and Skyloft, I think it's the main reason why they were not legal is that the stages were huge enough to allow Circle Camping.

Circle camping, a form of camping that can be unbeatable when it can be utilised by the right character, is when a player constantly flees from their opponent, by going around a certain stage section that prevents the opponent from intercepting them, thus running away around a "circle". Every character can utilise circle camping if the stage allows it, though how effective it is dependent on how fast they and their opponent can traverse the stage. Depending on the stage design, and if the fleeing character is fast enough, the opponent may never be able to reach the fleeing character, as the opponent's character is not fast enough to catch them in a straight chase, and the stage design prevents the opponent from intercepting the fleeing character. Because of this, stages whose design enable possible circle camping are nearly always universally banned. Otherwise, very fast moving characters, such as Fox and Sonic, would be able to utilise game breaking camping on these stages, and be nearly unbeatable by the majority of the cast.
A prominent example of a stage that enables circle camping is Spear Pillar, where a player can run away from the opponent into the underground area, and if the opponent tries to chase them in the underground area, the player can run out the other side and onto the top area of the stage, which can repeat until time runs out if the fleeing player does not make a mistake.

Cronox

Banned
Feedback on the first link:
1) Too much rolling (0:13).
2) Never Fair unless it is right after the hop, or you have big landing lag (0:23).
3) Shield grab more (0:13).
4) Flamethrower can be good for landing (0:30).
5) Don't fair while landing (0:37).
6) Grabs > side B unless you are KOing (0:44).
7) Maybe you fell asleep, but DK should not recover that easily (0:59).
8) Running grab has more range than side B; you would have grabbed him here (1:17).
9) Easy whiff punish missed (1:52).

1) Yeah I still have a roll habit, and a habit of forgetting to take my finger off shield until a moment after my thumb moves and I'm already rolling.

4) yeah there was a time where I'd integrated flamethrower more, I've kind of let it fall to the side lately.

2, 5) but then how would I set the opponent up for a punish?

6-8 go against my strategy to side-b him as much as possible. I've never attempted a below-stage side-b edgeguard though, could be fun. Have done it offstage to an opponent above me before.

9) yeah total finger slip

I like this, if I ever have a great battle that isn't me going for a gimmick of some kind I'll see about uploading it for more feedback. What do you go for as Bowser if the opponent is coming back to the edge low? I've attempted some Bowser bombs to ledge sweetspots but rarely get the spacing correct in the heat of battle. Wish he had a spike that didn't kill him offstage.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
What do you go for as Bowser if the opponent is coming back to the edge low? I've attempted some Bowser bombs to ledge sweetspots but rarely get the spacing correct in the heat of battle. Wish he had a spike that didn't kill him offstage.

If you know it will land you do a ballsy runoff Dair. If you want to be safe depending on position you can run off Fair or Bair. Or just edge guard with Dtilt.

1) Yeah I still have a roll habit, and a habit of forgetting to take my finger off shield until a moment after my thumb moves and I'm already rolling.

4) yeah there was a time where I'd integrated flamethrower more, I've kind of let it fall to the side lately.

2, 5) but then how would I set the opponent up for a punish?

6-8 go against my strategy to side-b him as much as possible. I've never attempted a below-stage side-b edgeguard though, could be fun. Have done it offstage to an opponent above me before.

9) yeah total finger slip

I like this, if I ever have a great battle that isn't me going for a gimmick of some kind I'll see about uploading it for more feedback. What do you go for as Bowser if the opponent is coming back to the edge low? I've attempted some Bowser bombs to ledge sweetspots but rarely get the spacing correct in the heat of battle. Wish he had a spike that didn't kill him offstage.
1) Rolling instead of side B happens - it is irritating.
2) Land with side B instead of fair. The range isn't that much worse, but it has 0 landing lag if you mess up.
6-8) "Side B as much as possible" isn't a strategy - it's just suboptimal play. Grabs are better. Side B spam, even if you land it, just causes knockback reduction and delays your KO. Unless you mean that you were intentionally screwing around in this match to try and land side B a lot. If so, then by all means proceed!

I typically choose one of three things to edgeguard:
1) Flamethrower before they get to the ledge.
2) Shield into Fortress beats everything but jump recovery.
3) Fair predictions beat jump recovery.

If they always recover in one way (some people just don't know the options) then I have stronger options. Downsmash against roll recoveries, Bowser Bomb to beat people up just get up, side smash to punish attack recoveries, and Bair to beat jump recoveries. Dair is also good, and beats everything but roll recoveries.

Cronox

Banned
If you know it will land you do a ballsy runoff Dair. If you want to be safe depending on position you can run off Fair or Bair. Or just edge guard with Dtilt.

The runoff dair would be some kind of Bizzarro Flame style move... my body isn't ready for that kind of commitment yet.

1) Rolling instead of side B happens - it is irritating.
2) Land with side B instead of fair. The range isn't that much worse, but it has 0 landing lag if you mess up.
6-8) "Side B as much as possible" isn't a strategy - it's just suboptimal play. Grabs are better. Side B spam, even if you land it, just causes knockback reduction and delays your KO. Unless you mean that you were intentionally screwing around in this match to try and land side B a lot. If so, then by all means proceed!

I typically choose one of three things to edgeguard:
1) Flamethrower before they get to the ledge.
2) Shield into Fortress beats everything but jump recovery.
3) Fair predictions beat jump recovery.

If they always recover in one way (some people just don't know the options) then I have stronger options. Downsmash against roll recoveries, Bowser Bomb to beat people up just get up, side smash to punish attack recoveries, and Bair to beat jump recoveries. Dair is also good, and beats everything but roll recoveries.

Ha I think you missed the point of that video, after I died to DK I intentionally decided to side-b him as much as possible, regardless of move staling. Like I said in an earlier post, there's something to be said for the humiliation and temporary loss of player control rattling an opponent. Part of why I say the guy was an alright player, but it not looking like that, is that he obviously got pretty flustered by this.

Actually I've had some problems attacking people who linger on the edge (ex: Villager trolling). Assuming they've sweetspotted the ledge, even when their invincibility is over dtilt won't hit them. Flamethrower won't hit them either unless I'm standing right on top of them. I've seen the end of fsmash hit ledge hangers-on, but the beginning of that animation is the universal "get up off the ledge to punish me" signal.

Also, from Bowser to Bowser, can I just complain about how every once in a while, people just get out of fortress after getting caught in it for no apparent reason? Wonder if they're smash DI'ing out, or just lucky...

TWILT

Banned
Guess you're done, Cyberman? I have a bit of a fever right, so I guess I should quit too. GGs! You have a good Falco and Sonic. I don't get to fight the former much especially, let alone good ones lol. You were really good with your pivot grabs too.

Also, Kirby with Monado Arts is so much fun. Buster Kirby's damage racking is crazy. :p

Guess you're done, Cyberman? I have a bit of a fever right, so I guess I should quit too. GGs! You have a good Falco and Sonic. I don't get to fight the former much especially, let alone good ones lol. You were really good with your pivot grabs too.

Also, Kirby with Monado Arts is so much fun. Buster Kirby's damage racking is crazy. :p
Yeah, I have to eat dinner and such. But, GGs, was fun! And, thanks. I never get to play against Link players and when I do, I have so much trouble.

I never knew how scary Kirby can be with the Monados. You must love that matchup, haha.

Top Bottom