• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

You better believe he's a heavy guy. Check his falling speed and compare it to the rest, and how he gets launched compared to, say, Rosa. He's a robot, bro.

True, but he's a fairly small, kid-sized robot! I'm still a little surprised by how heavy he is. Regardless, that's good info. :)

Weight's more about how far you get launched. Samus and Bowser Jr. also move around somewhat floaty/quickly respectively. Living longer is a nice bonus!

Gotcha, I wasn't completely aware of the difference. Thanks!

Hmm. I was going by this weight chart:
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Weight

Now I am not sure what is real. -_-

Haha, sorry! Just forget you saw my Smashboards link. Yours is probably right!

Right? ;)

Jesus, even Sakurai can't get them? How he doesn't have a full complimentary set of Smash amiibo is beyond me.

Listening to his rants on YouTube, and he's clearly got issues. Wow.

Jesus. Right now I'm really regretting being curious and listening to one myself. I'd say he's an idiot, and he is, but more than him just being another dumb Internet troll/good-for-nothing armchair critic, I think he's got some serious, scary, fucked up shit going on in his head. Yikes.

Masked Man

I said wow
Jesus. Right now I'm really regretting being curious and listening to one myself. I'd say he's an idiot, and he is, but more than him just being another dumb Internet troll/good-for-nothing armchair critic, I think he's got some serious, scary, fucked up shit going on in his head. Yikes.

Yeah, there's clearly a lot of unpleasant stuff going on inside that twisted little mind of his--and I have no desire to discover the specifics.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone recommend good sites for Smash 4 media? Replays, Character Guides, General Guides etc?

Forkball

In a random four player For Fun match, every one was Captain Falcon on Mute City. When the match started, we all did the "Show me your moves" taunt.

I think I found my soulmates.

Smashboards user wants Smash Gaf to take this character poll.

http://kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=iuvhlymd0qbajo6478591&refer=neogaf

Remember if it aint Ridley it aint didley...

Man I'm good!

I can play this morning!
Ok looks like it worked. Wish I could see the results.

If you're looking for a solid Falco, me and Cyberman would probably do you well. :) I personally believe Falco has a lot of potential that's untapped, and while he may not be high-tier he can definitely go toe-to-toe with a lot of characters.
Neat. I haven't played Falco much in this game but maybe we can do some mirror matches and you can show me a thing or two.

Bowser was so hyped up by everyone too, dude dropped off hard.
I think that, as competitive metagames evolve, it kind of goes like this:
1) Easy, cheap stuff. I think Bowser counts for this at early play just because he punishes and KOs well, and is hard to kill.

2) Fast, advanced stuff. High APM, lots of execution requirements, and speed > all. This is where we are right now, with Diddy and Sheik being very strong and other characters are fading.

3) Character mastery. All viable characters start to see more play as the slow-cookers are mastered by a dedicated few.

daripad

So I'm back again and I'll be available to play ranbats for the weekend at any time (hopefully). I still need to play with the next Bracket 1 guys:

beta_fuse
Cronox
Cyberman 65

Just tell me when you are available, be it through this thread or by PM

So, break 50,000 blocks in trophy rush eh? Supposing you break an average of 500 blocks per game, that would be 100 games. But on average you're going to get fewer than 500, so really you have to play it over 100 times. With 48 characters, that's at least twice with each. Well, better get crackin'!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, break 50,000 blocks in trophy rush eh? Supposing you break an average of 500 blocks per game, that would be 100 games. But on average you're going to get fewer than 500, so really you have to play it over 100 times. With 48 characters, that's at least twice with each. Well, better get crackin'!

I prefer DK with the ground pound, or Palu with Heavenly Light. Custom them to be high attack, so you can break everything in a single hit. I used DK a lot after first, but I prefer Palu now because she can Heavenly Light, then jump, then Heavenly Light, then jump.. and continue doing that, never triggering the lightning ball because she's moving. Trophy Rush can be used for grinding hats and stuff too, so if you still have that, might as well grind.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wish Smashboards were useful. The Bowser forum hasn't had a post in almost a week.

Since he's low on the tier list he doesn't get as much discussion. When tourney mode comes out and allows the use of custom moves maybe it will pick up mainly discussing Dash Slash strategies.

As it stands if you don't use ZSS, Diddy, Sheik and maybe Meta Knight you'll have a rough time learning anything new.

Since he's low on the tier list he doesn't get as much discussion. When tourney mode comes out and allows the use of custom moves maybe it will pick up mainly discussing Dash Slash strategies.

As it stands if you don't use ZSS, Diddy, Sheik and maybe Meta Knight you'll have a rough time learning anything new.
does tourney mode unlock all customs too?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's crazy how little I've played this game since it came out. I really think I just blew my wad on the 3DS one. I just have no interest in doing any of the single player content whatsoever. Will play it with friends when they come over and whatnot, but I might just be... done, beyond that.

I had high hopes at first, but I think my SSB days may truly be behind me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Huh, did I miss this stream last night or was it later than I thought? Odd.

I'm not sure it was well known. It started pretty late (10, or 11pm EST, I think?) and for a long while there were only 70-80 people watching and around 200 by the end. Pretty quality stuff though, first time I've watched. Seems weekly, so I'll tune back in. More high quality tourny streams for me to take in, the better.

It's crazy how little I've played this game since it came out. I really think I just blew my wad on the 3DS one. I just have no interest in doing any of the single player content whatsoever. Will play it with friends when they come over and whatnot, but I might just be... done, beyond that.

I had high hopes at first, but I think my SSB days may truly be behind me.
Don't say that! Surely there's still some Smash goodness you want to experience. What about Mewtwo and Tourneys? D:
Ok looks like it worked. Wish I could see the results.

Neat. I haven't played Falco much in this game but maybe we can do some mirror matches and you can show me a thing or two.
Haha, I'm not the best player but I can gladly show you a thing or two regarding my self-learned Falco. :)
I wish Smashboards were useful. The Bowser forum hasn't had a post in almost a week.
You should start a discussion and see who bites. Or maybe you can teach us Bowser, teacher Karsticles.

RomanceDawn

Anyone wanna play? I need to blow off some steam.

If you are around I can play. My ID is Romancedawn.

Yeah as a DK and Bowser main sometimes it's hard to get good info consistently. Though as a member I should be contributing more, I just never accidentally run into exploits that can become advanced techniques or anything.

I've barely messed with single player at all since unlocking all the characters and stages. I might have to start the Smash Tour idle trick if custom moves become more prominent in stuff like Ranbats here or in tournament mode or whatever. But I have no desire to play any single player content either.

However, an online mode that isn't a bag of shit like Brawl was (most of the time) keeps me around. If I have the time, just a half hour or so a night of For Glory is enough to keep me playing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Honestly doing challenges and single player modes that isn't training is pointless for me. Since they pretty much hand you the characters for free in both versions.

Vena

I'm not sure it was well known. It started pretty late (10, or 11pm EST, I think?) and for a long while there were only 70-80 people watching and around 200 by the end. Pretty quality stuff though, first time I've watched. Seems weekly, so I'll tune back in. More high quality tourny streams for me to take in, the better.

Watched it now, and ya, this is more evidence to me to believe that DDD is one of the better heavies and a good character in general in the game. He has such good control with the Gordos, his aerials are fast and strong, and that d-smash is crazy strong and sends people out laterally not vertically. Top off his incredible recovery and ability to go off-stage too.

Honestly doing challenges and single player modes that isn't training is pointless for me. Since they pretty much hand you the characters for free in both versions.

9.0 SP I think is great for practice since the AI if frame perfect on avoidance. FG is great for learning how to read and punish rolling lol.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Don't say that! Surely there's still some Smash goodness you want to experience. What about Mewtwo and Tourneys? D:

I'm sure I'll get back into it for a little bit once all that DLC finally drops. Mewtwo was always one of my favorites, and it'll be neat messin around with some fresh custom stages and the tournaments. I doubt it'll last, though.

I've barely messed with single player at all since unlocking all the characters and stages. I might have to start the Smash Tour idle trick if custom moves become more prominent in stuff like Ranbats here or in tournament mode or whatever. But I have no desire to play any single player content either.

However, an online mode that isn't a bag of shit like Brawl was (most of the time) keeps me around. If I have the time, just a half hour or so a night of For Glory is enough to keep me playing.

Every once in a while I'll throw eight Amiibos into a 99 stock fight just to see if they can earn me some custom moves. There are SO many I just don't have. My 3DS collection was getting pretty alright, but the Wii U one is barren. I'm sure I could start building it up if I actually played more of the single player but... I don't wanna. D:

It's a shame you can't earn custom moves steadily just by playing multi/online modes.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
9.0 SP I think is great for practice since the AI if frame perfect on avoidance. FG is great for learning how to read and punish rolling lol.

Lvl9 CPU unfortunately only helps with fundamentals. Against a human they will never be frame perfect and humans react differently then the CPU who can read your inputs.

Tripon

There's 3 big weeklies for Smash 4 I'm watching on a regular basis.

Showdown Smash which hosts Smash 4 on Thursdays in San Francisco.
Xanadu on VGBootcamp which hosts Smash 4 on Tuesday in Maryland.
And TourneyLocator which hosts Smash 4 on Friday in the DFW area.

Vena

Lvl9 CPU unfortunately only helps with fundamentals. Against a human they will never be frame perfect and humans react differently then the CPU who can read your inputs.

Well, yes, but they help with input control and reaction on your part. AI is terrible for using to practice as playing against others but I think of it more as great practice for your own input and input control.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
9.0 CPU are ridiculously frustrating sometimes if you try to fight them like you would a human, but then they are easily cheesed by some stuff. Not sure how great they are for practice in all honesty.

There's 3 big weeklies for Smash 4 I'm watching on a regular basis.

Showdown Smash which hosts Smash 4 on Thursdays in San Francisco.
Xanadu on VGBootcamp which hosts Smash 4 on Tuesday in Maryland.
And TourneyLocator which hosts Smash 4 on Friday in the DFW area.

Yep, the later two I'm familiar with. Just found out about the San Francisco tournament, so I'll be tuning in regularly for that. They had a wider variety of characters than I've seen at the others, so it was pretty entertaining. Pac-Man, Dedede, Mac, Yoshi, all going deep.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
9.0 CPU are ridiculously frustrating sometimes if you try to fight them like you would a human, but then they are easily cheesed by some stuff. Not sure how great they are for practice in all honesty.

If I had a CPU Shamrock I would fight against that all the time.

Yeah as a DK and Bowser main sometimes it's hard to get good info consistently. Though as a member I should be contributing more, I just never accidentally run into exploits that can become advanced techniques or anything.
I'm a mod of one of the character sections there.

It's hard when you're using characters that are difficult to use or are just outright obscure. You can only do so much to help develop a character's metagame when there's only a few that could contribute. I can't do much myself since I'm pretty much limited to For Glory which isn't an ideal environment. The best I could is make the section more attractive to get new faces but that's difficult too depending on the character. In my case it's Wario, so yeah. I'm new at this so I'm still trying.

And there's also the lack of tournament footage, which are just as if not more important to gather information. DK has Will, but who else? There has to be multiple representation for more sufficient data.

Anyone wanna 1v1, anyway?

I mod one of the character sections there.

It's hard when you're using characters that are difficult to use or are just outright obscure. You can only do so much to help develop a character's metagame when there's only a few that could contribute. I can't do much myself since I'm pretty much limited to For Glory which isn't an ideal environment. The best I could is make the section more attractive to get new faces but that's difficult too depending on the character. In my case it's Wario, so yeah.

And there's also the lack of tournament footage, which are just as if not more important to gather information. DK has Will, but who else? There has to be multiple representation for sufficient data.

Anyone wanna 1v1, anyway?

Aye, this I agree with. Back when the Falco board was just getting started, it was basically me and two other guys getting discussion done. Nowadays though it seems plenty of people are offering assistance, which is good. I still worry about more obscure characters, most of all those lacking representation in tourneys. :(

I would play you Spin, but I won't be free until after 3. :(

I think that, as competitive metagames evolve, it kind of goes like this:
1) Easy, cheap stuff. I think Bowser counts for this at early play just because he punishes and KOs well, and is hard to kill.

2) Fast, advanced stuff. High APM, lots of execution requirements, and speed > all. This is where we are right now, with Diddy and Sheik being very strong and other characters are fading.

3) Character mastery. All viable characters start to see more play as the slow-cookers are mastered by a dedicated few.
Hey karst what do you think are palutena's best customs?

One quirk of them I noticed is the sheer desperation to avoid attacks when they're in the air, you chase the CPU into the air and they'll be like air dodging machines outside of some of the swiftest aerials, it's annoying yet it can lead to cheese since this extends to the point that they'll happily bugger up their own recovery with a poorly timed air dodge.
Most notably I had a Jigglypuff use up all its mid air jumps right next to the stage edge because the prospect of getting hit by Falcon's up tilt at the edge was that terrifying that it just kept dodging until it dropped.

Tripon

Honestly, the only way people will be interested in picking up a low teir character to play competitively is when somebody takes that character deep. I guarantee you that more people are taking another look at King DeDeDe after his performance last night.

That gordo play was amazing.

Top Bottom