• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Read all my praise in the previous page my man xD

Haha, sorry! You must've posted while I was playing Shamrock!

Thanks for the compliments though! I've got a long ways to go myself. I have to agree though, I think the Little Mac match up must be in Mega Man's favor. I imagine it is a nightmare to try to approach while being bombarded and also constantly have to watch for a grab.

I think you did really well! And bored? No way man, like I said before, if I wasn't fully focused you'd have smashed my face in.

Little Mac is still a tense match up because the margin of error is small, so I'm happy to play any time man!

Well crap. I play Xenoblade all day and miss my chance to play with Shamrock. Oh well. :(

Wanna go at it? I'm a bit tired, but I'll put up a fight!
Sure! I'll make a room!

jorgejjvr

Thanks for the compliments though! I've got a long ways to go myself. I have to agree though, I think the Little Mac match up must be in Mega Man's favor. I imagine it is a nightmare to try to approach while being bombarded and also constantly have to watch for a grab.

I think you did really well! And bored? No way man, like I said before, if I wasn't fully focused you'd have smashed my face in.

Little Mac is still a tense match up because the margin of error is small, so I'm happy to play any time man!

Sure! I'll make a room!
Haha glad you think so :) happy to play any time as well

Sure! I'll make a room!

I'm surprised. I would think little Mac would have a major advantage against your mega man, matchup wise

why? MM's projectiles would be hell for little mac.

Power shield + speed, essentially. If mega man is throwing non stop buzz saws, you have to be really good at power shielding and reacting immediately after. Mega mans best offensive and defensive weapon is that buzzsaw. You will see a ton of it, constantly, the entire match. It's used to maintain spacing, but worse, it's a setup to approach easily. Essentially, the best counter to it is to power shield and guess what mega man is going to do. If you can figure out your opponents approach pattern, you can land attacks after power shield. From what I've seen, mega man will absolutely not approach unless there is first a solid setup with that buzzsaw, so it's imperative to be able to power shield effectively. Speed characters have the best chance to counter mega man after a powershield. It's why my mii brawler can take matches off tipster but not some of my other slower secondaries. It's also why I think lil Mac can destroy this play style with power shield and immediete dash attack , or tilt, or other counters. Again, it's dependent on the players ability to power shield and react immediately after. I haven't played many mega mans, so I am strictly going off tipster's style. And tipster if any of this sounds insulting it isn't meant that way. This is just how I break down the opponent to formulate a strategy.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Romance. Really fun games as usual. Hope my taunting was more sufficient this time around. :p I need to get better at recovering, so I don't accidentally land into a forward smash. Especially with Shulk; bleh, my Air Slash recoveries were so bad. >_<

jorgejjvr

Power shield + speed, essentially. If mega man is throwing non stop buzz saws, you have to be really good at power shielding and reacting immediately after. Mega mans best offensive and defensive weapon is that buzzsaw. You will see a ton of it, constantly, the entire match. It's used to maintain spacing, but worse, it's a setup to approach easily. Essentially, the best counter to it is to power shield and guess what mega man is going to do. If you can figure out your opponents approach pattern, you can land attacks after power shield. From what I've seen, mega man will absolutely not approach unless there is first a solid setup with that buzzsaw, so it's imperative to be able to power shield effectively. Speed characters have the best chance to counter mega man after a powershield. It's why my mii brawler can take matches off tipster but not some of my other slower secondaries. It's also why I think lil Mac can destroy this play style with power shield and immediete dash attack , or tilt, or other counters. Again, it's dependent on the players ability to power shield and react immediately after. I haven't played many mega mans, so I am strictly going off tipster's style. And tipster if any of this sounds insulting it isn't meant that way. This is just how I break down the opponent to formulate a strategy.
Trust me. It IS hell for little Mac, I get what you are saying about power shield and speed. I used it to my advantage as much as I could. But little Mac only works on the ground. As soon as I'm grabbed, stuff happens lol. MM is also really fast and also has good dashes so it's never easy to approach him or hit him, one little mistakes leads to a grab which then could potentially send me off the stage and make it impossible for me to come back because of macs horrible recovery options. And at times when I do happen to come back it's to be hit or grabbed again. I managed to beat him a couple of times, it was definitely because of speed and finding some very small openings, which are very few in between. MM is certainly a horrible match up for Mac if I've ever seen one

And of course, I also do have to get better at playing against MM and making smarter decisions, but from what I can tell he's a horrible match up for Mac, specially Tipster play style, he's the only MM that had ever given me problems. I have to keep practicing and figuring him out

Definitely have to focus on my speed, shield, and do my best to not get hit by his projectiles or get grabbed, and all that while trying to land some hits myself which he dodges very easily (MM is pretty fast himself). Yikes lol

RomanceDawn

GGs Romance. Really fun games as usual. Hope my taunting was more sufficient this time around. :p I need to get better at recovering, so I don't accidentally land into a forward smash. Especially with Shulk; bleh, my Air Slash recoveries were so bad. >_<

Hey man great games, sorry I left after only one Kirby battle, had to take care of things.

I do manage to beat you from time to time but you definitely play on another level than me. You are much better at pivoting and spacing than I am. I feel like if I could pivot grab and pivot tilt/smash more our matches would be a little more even. Though then again it's your Link that wrecks me the most. Some days I feel like I power shield so well and days like today it's like why does EVERY boomerang hit me?! It doesn't feel like there is any lag but I guess I like to wait to the very last second for things but I generally wait too late.

Glad my Charizard is starting to keep up as well. All your characters are monsters!

Oh and thank you for taunting more and playing by my rules!

Beats

I guess custom WFT is the only character I really love to play. lol

Okay Beats! Its bed time for me!

Many GGs. =D Also I hate the blue ball and falling ball. :c

Good games. Sorry for all the character switching. I think I'm bored with ZSS, so I was trying out some other characters.

No offense taken at all, that's a very accurate assessment of my play style with Mega Man.

GGs Tipster, MK really struggles against Mega Man it seems. Either that or I just suck. :( But I had fun and that's what matters, right? :)

Great games Captain! I actually felt like I was having a tough time with your Metaknight, so I wouldn't say it's the later. His speed is brutal and was punishing me for well, pretty much any miss I made. It's also nice for you that his side-b doesn't cancel against a Metal Blade (and bad for me --;)

All in all, great games. Lots of side characters in this one, and the Ike vs Marth matches were especially intense.

Thanks for playing! Lots of fun as always!

Edit: Oh and sorry for my relative silence during the games. My computer is in the other room and it gets tough to type longer messages on my phone!

No offense taken at all, that's a very accurate assessment of my play style with Mega Man.

Great games Captain! I actually felt like I was having a tough time with your Metaknight, so I wouldn't say it's the later. His speed is brutal and was punishing me for well, pretty much any miss I made. It's also nice for you that his side-b doesn't cancel against a Metal Blade (and bad for me --;)

All in all, great games. Lots of side characters in this one, and the Ike vs Marth matches were especially intense.

Thanks for playing! Lots of fun as always!

Edit: Oh and sorry for my relative silence during the games. My computer is in the other room and it gets tough to type longer messages on my phone!

Meh, everyone says they have a tough time with MK, but until they give him a more realistic range it doesn't amount to much. ;__;

Dude, when you use Ike, Eruption=best edge guard. You let me come back to the ledge for free so many times I wondered if you even remembered Ike had a neutral B. Also, even if Doc is shitty in this game he's still my main man <3

Don't worry about the silence, I figured you were just really into it for some reason and wanted to entertain you (especially during those extremely lopsided Villager vs. Mac fights.)

Now you sound like me.

--------------------

So that Link Jab Lock tech works on these characters at these percents assuming you are frame perfect:

-Bowser: Works from 0%
-Diddy: Works from 40%
-Sheik: Works from 64%
-Ganon: Works from 5%
-ZSS: Works from 47%
-Palutena: Works from 11%
-MK: Works from 28%
-Fox: Works from 62%
-Falco: Works from 62%
-Charizard: Works from 2%
-Greninja: Works from 67%
-C Falcon: Works from 58%
-Mega Man: Works from 27%
-Brawler: Works from 11%

That said the Jab lock works on most of the cast. Unfortunately Link can now basically kill all the characters I use at basically any percent.

Courtesy of Smashboards.
Looks like it doesn't work against Link or Sonic though.

Should be banned.
Either ban Link or don't ban Link. Don't be like "Well you can play as Link but if you jab twice in a row then you're disqualified lolol"

Meh, everyone says they have a tough time with MK, but until they give him a more realistic range it doesn't amount to much. ;__;

Dude, when you use Ike, Eruption=best edge guard. You let me come back to the ledge for free so many times I wondered if you even remembered Ike had a neutral B. Also, even if Doc is shitty in this game he's still my main man <3

Don't worry about the silence, I figured you were just really into it for some reason and wanted to entertain you (especially during those extremely lopsided Villager vs. Mac fights.)

Thanks for the tip! Eruption was such garbage in Brawl that it doesn't occur to me to use it naturally. I mained Zelda in Brawl and I have the same problem with her new down+b.

To be honest, I was trying to remember the crazy stuff you did with Ike when we played before, but at the end of the day I had to rely on jab n' throw. That obviously did not work, haha.

I find it's better to grab the buzzsaw out of the air.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
But that also prevents you from using your standards...

Correct. But that leads to followups into a well placed Bowser Bomb.

With a Metal Blade you can go Air Klaw > Metal Blade > Bowser Bomb.

MB doesn't send people far so if the Air Klaw whiffs you whack him and if they shield and don't react fast enough they now have no shield. Push to edge and then Fsmash.

At 40% damage or higher a Fsmash at the edge will kill.

I made a comparison image for the ladies' heights:

2lQm2jS.jpg

Each pic was taken at the far left of Omega Battlefield, with the camera focused on Rosalina. If the background looks a little different, it's because it changes.

SoldnerKei

I made a comparison image for the ladies' heights:

Each pic was taken at the far left of Omega Battlefield, with the camera focused on Rosalina. If the background looks a little different, it's because it changes.

it's hilarious how Peach and Rosalina have gigiantic heads compared to the rest of the cast lol also Zelda taller than ZSS ON heels it's kinda unexpected, nice pic!

I don't think it makes sense to ban any combo. It is up to Nintendo to fix this.

Also, Link sees no competitive play currently. Infinites don't always change that. When Captain America's infinite was discovered in MvC3, it resulted in 0 more Cap players. Ditto for Skrull and Jill.

yup, I agree with Karts, sure this will help and it's hella easy to pull off, but Link still has other hards MU in which he cannot rely on this, first that comes to mind is Mario... and even so, other hard MUs like Sheik & Fox still have it safe up to 60% to mess him up. yeah it's kind of cheap for certain characters(like bowser :x), but not something that will blast him into top tier levels imo

emb

yup, I agree with Karts, sure this will help and it's hella easy to pull off, but Link still has other hards MU in which he cannot rely on this, first that comes to mind is Mario... and even so, other hard MUs like Sheik & Fox still have it safe up to 60% to mess him up. yeah it's kind of cheap for certain characters(like bowser :x), but not something that will blast him into top tier levels imo
I think this will cause him to ascend quite a bit. Link is good at playing keep away to rack up a bit of damage, and kills in this game are generally tough to secure below 100.

I think it's exciting to watch a match knowing that (now that you have a few percent), yes, if Link catches you with a certain thing you're dead. Link's movement and grab aren't too great, so other characters can still overwhelm him unless he can pull off the infinite, I think.

On the downside, having this ready from close to 0 on heavies makes Link a stupidly hard counter to them, I think. It's like characters with grab releases on Ness and Lucas. Another unfortunate aspect, it's just going to get patched in March/April whenever Mewtwo is released (or maybe even earlier). We won't get to see it play out much.

On the downside, having this ready from close to 0 on heavies makes Link a stupidly hard counter to them, I think. It's like characters with grab releases on Ness and Lucas. Another unfortunate aspect, it's just going to get patched in March/April whenever Mewtwo is released (or maybe even earlier). We won't get to see it play out much.

Source?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I have found a new fascination for the Aerial Version of Whirling Fortress for easy 22%-29% chunks of damage. On anything that isn't small or speedy or an expert in the law of the shield.

emb

Oh, no, sorry. I'm just saying that this game gets patches, and this is something I think will get patched. I actually know literally nothing. The time frame is just a guess based on the spring target (didn't they say the DLC was coming in spring?) and the expiration of the Club Nintendo promotion.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I will never be a fan of infinites, ever. Slows the game to a crawl, ruins the competitive nature imo.

Well on Link it basically makes him more of a cheesecake then he was before. Projectile cheese I can understand. That's one of his gimmicks. But doing Jab 1 over and over again is like a guy playing Soul Calibur 2 and doing Forward Weak attack over and over and over again. And not being able to do a thing until the opponent has so much momentum he can end the stock with just one attack.

Well on Link it basically makes him more of a cheesecake then he was before. Projectile cheese I can understand. That's one of his gimmicks. But doing Jab 1 over and over again is like a guy playing Soul Calibur 2 and doing Forward Weak attack over and over and over again. And not being able to do a thing until the opponent has so much momentum he can end the stock with just one attack.

Yea it's silly, and I can't find one bit of logic to have it be legal from a competitive standpoint.

Yea it's silly, and I can't find one bit of logic to have it be legal from a competitive standpoint.

... Because Smash 4 Link is still lower tier, even with the infinite, than Melee Fox or Brawl Snake, and they were legal?

From Brawl's tournament rules, here:

Banning of certain infinites: While tournament keep the usage of zero-deaths and infinites legal, some tournaments will ban certain infinites/zero-deaths deemed to be too powerful and easy to use, such as King Dedede's standing infinite chain throw and Marth's zero-death chain grab release on the PK kids. While more common in the past, such rules are rarely seen nowadays in tournaments outside some fringe locals, and tournaments generally make it clear that all infinites and zero-deaths are legal. The only rule against infinites that tournaments typically run is that a player can't continue one well beyond KO percentage (usually listed as 300%).

Top Bottom