• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

... Because Smash 4 Link is still lower tier, even with the infinite, than Melee Fox or Brawl Snake, and they were legal?

From Brawl's tournament rules, here:

I know all about brawl's tournament rules. I completely disagree with their philosophy behind infinites. Again, it has nothing to do with tiers. There are a few main reasons that I am against infinites.

1. Most of them slow the game to a crawl. Marths infinite grab release from brawl, ice climbers, and seemingly this jab remove any flow to the game.

2. A grab or a jab is not difficult to achieve. Most infinites that I've seen, minus ice climbers, are extremely easy to pull off.

3. Infinites take away the opponents ability to counter in any sort of capacity. It is up to the player doing the infinite to mess up. All competitive equality is taken out of the equation in this scenario. The Setups for an infinite arent even that situational, like a stage gimp, or jigglys downb. They are extremely safe to attempt.

jorgejjvr

I know all about brawl's tournament rules. I completely disagree with their philosophy behind infinites. Again, it has nothing to do with tiers. There are a few main reasons that I am against infinites.

1. Most of them slow the game to a crawl. Marths infinite grab release from brawl, ice climbers, and seemingly this jab remove any flow to the game.

2. A grab or a jab is not difficult to achieve. Most infinites that I've seen, minus ice climbers, are extremely easy to pull off.

3. Infinites take away the opponents ability to counter in any sort of capacity. It is up to the player doing the infinite to mess up. All competitive equality is taken out of the equation in this scenario. The Setups for an infinite arent even that situational, like a stage gimp, or jigglys downb. They are extremely safe to attempt.
Agreed again. Who cares about tiers. The worst character, whoever you think that might be, if they can do an infinite that it's rather easy to do, that gets from 0 to death is simply not fair. And I'm sure it's just a design flaw, no one wanted it to be there, it was just found and exploited. Not to mention people might just pick the character just because of the infinite. This needs to get patched and be fixed or be banned. Tournament rules that say you are allowed to get your opponent from 0 to death with the opponent not being able to do anything about it, it's just plain wrong

... Because Smash 4 Link is still lower tier, even with the infinite, than Melee Fox or Brawl Snake, and they were legal?

From Brawl's tournament rules, here:

At the highest levels of play, I can sort of understand the notion of "play the game as is and deal." But beyond that? I'm not saying that an infinite is something that Karst should explicitly ban in Ranbats (as a for instance), but I know that I'm sure as hell not continuing on with a game/set if someone is playing to win that badly.Shit's just lame.

Trey

The Ice Climbers' grab infinite in Melee is cool because it's rather difficult to pull off and is situational. Its payoff is equivalent to the work/good fortune necessary to execute it.

The same is not true of a potential jab infinite. And it's not like Link is straight trash in Smash 4 besides.

RomanceDawn

TWILT kept tying to lock me into that all night with Link. Luckily he couldn't pull it off but I sure as heck hope it gets patched out.

I remember playing friendly 1on1 games at an anime convention and I was on a roll with DK, I had a pretty good winning streak and had the crowd going. Little goon comes up and chooses DDD and I ask politely "can we agree to no infinits?" He says nothing and first chance he gets he locks me in place and continues to grab throw until I'm at like a billion %. Not a chain grab mind you but and infinite throw stuck in place. I put the controller down and just rest my head on my fist.

I did almost beat him though but he had such a bad attitude I was ready to pop him across the eyes. Never saw him again but you can bet I was looking out for him.

I agree with everything that you say. I was about to say why it shouldn't be banned but you've CMV'd. The aspect that CVD'd the best was how this infinite is easier to pull off than the other infinites that were not banned in Brawl, and how even an excellent Bowser basically can't do anything against a good Link.

Vena

it's hilarious how Peach and Rosalina have gigiantic heads compared to the rest of the cast lol also Zelda taller than ZSS ON heels it's kinda unexpected, nice pic!

Samus and ZSS are all sorts of screwed up. Other M made her "short and womanly" when she's actually very tall. Can't have her towering over the men in Other M.

There's a lot of these. Mac, MM, and others all have footstool infinites but they don't actually work on people.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Link matchup for Bowser is already difficult with projectile hell. Made worse if there are platforms. Last thing Bowser needs is a unbreakable Jab lock.

A battle against Sham's Link was super intense to the point I only won due to a Yolo Upsmash.

Samus and ZSS are all sorts of screwed up. Other M made her "short and womanly" when she's actually very tall. Can't have her towering over the men in Other M.

One of the many reasons I consider Other M in the same category as fanfiction.

Link matchup for Bowser is already difficult with projectile hell. Made worse if there are platforms. Last thing Bowser needs is a unbreakable Jab lock.

A battle against Sham's Link was super intense to the point I only won due to a Yolo Upsmash.

Yeah maybe I'd be a decent Link if I practiced more and settled on my mains sooner :\

SoldnerKei

no wonder why it surprised me, I always had in my mind that Samus was quite tall, never paid much attention to those details in Other M since all I can remember it's "the baby, the baby" lol

yup, against heavy characters that jab infinite it's pretty unfair, since they don't even have a safe % span to deal with Link

Another interesting thing to consider is that Smash 64 had Samus's height wrong. It was Melee that bumped her up to seemingly 6'3, then for some reason Other M ZSS is 5'5, which is way too short, but Smash 4 ZSS accurately seems to be only about 3 inches shorter than Varia Suit Samus. My only guess is that Varia Suit Samus and ZSS are supposed to be even taller, relative to WFT and Zelda at least. Who knows how tall Rosalina is supposed to be :/

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Samus is supposed to be like 7 feet tall. Because Chozo DNA and stuff.

Rosalina is probably around 7-9 feet tall and can cast an astral projection of herself to seem bigger.

This has probably been posted here already, but I just saw this on the cybernet

70bca020b562c5be0c4b9c73e7e292f9.png

Dat passion though

Vena

no wonder why it surprised me, I always had in my mind that Samus was quite tall, never paid much attention to those details in Other M since all I can remember it's "the baby, the baby" lol

She's supposed to be over 7' tall, possibly even bigger, depending how you scale the Prime Pirates/Marines, since she's comparatively as big as they are. She's a damned giant compared to normal humans since she's, well, not human.

Rosalina is a titan, I don't think she has a definitive height but she's like double the size of Mario.

DaBoss

Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Samus aren't standing straight, so it isn't clear cut that some of those characters are taller than others. Unless you're going to tell me Zelda becomes 2 inches shorter or something when she changes into Sheik.

Anyone want to play right now?

Puruzi

Banned
It's a true combo meaning the opponent can't air dodge or otherwise interrupt it, but can they DI out of it? As well, how much does stale moves affect it? This requires research!

Also I would play but I'm playing Xenoblade instead, sorry!

Some people on reddit tested it and said if you don't DI the throw properly you're basically fucked. You escape only if the Metaknight fucks up the combo.

Some people on reddit tested it and said if you don't DI the throw properly you're basically fucked. You escape only if the Metaknight fucks up the combo.

I remember seeing this done at some launch day tournament for the Wii U. I don't think this is a new discovery. I'm not saying this to diminish interest in this or the character, but just to note that I think this has been known to exist and still hasn't gotten people excited about the character. But godspeed if you're off to master it.

Puruzi

Banned
I remember seeing this done at some launch day tournament for the Wii U. I don't think this is a new discovery. I'm not saying this to diminish interest in this or the character, but just to note that I think this has been known to exist and still hasn't gotten people excited about the character. But godspeed if you're off to master it.

Pretty much just posted it for Rage quit as he's a MK player lol

Pretty much just posted it for Rage quit as he's a MK player lol

I see. But for reference, I dug up this post from early December:

Metaknight combo. Dash attack to a bunch of up-airs to Up-B. Killed at 58%. It doesn't look like they could have gotten out of it.

I can't find the video anymore. But I remember watching that match from the stream and the commentators being stopped in their tracks.

emb

Only thing with those car adapters, if the car gets turned off you lose power. I had one of those mini-screens for my Gamecube way back when. Took it on a road trip to the beach, got surprised every time we had to stop and get gas, lol.

OK, tried again on regular battlefield, turns out 20% is the sweetspot for Mario. Now, this doesn't take into consideration the effects of stale-move negation or rage so this isn't going to be some late-game bnb for sure.

All that's left is to see whether it can be done on others and at what percents, as well as how it's affected by normal match mechanics outside of a training mode environment.

Also, damn it Puruzi you took a 1v1 away from me! D: I was hoping to get in some ROB practice, but oh well. Anyone else wanna play before I decide to go back to Xenoblade or Persona?

Puruzi

Banned
OK, tried again on regular battlefield, turns out 20% is the sweetspot for Mario. Now, this doesn't take into consideration the effects of stale-move negation or rage so this isn't going to be some late-game bnb for sure.

All that's left is to see whether it can be done on others and at what percents, as well as how it's affected by normal match mechanics outside of a training mode environment.

Also, damn it Puruzi you took a 1v1 away from me! D: I was hoping to get in some ROB practice, but oh well. Anyone else wanna play before I decide to go back to Xenoblade or Persona?

See: http://www.gfycat.com/ThoughtfulEnormousAlbertosaurus

Top Bottom