• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Puruzi

Banned
I suck. I can't do it. I am much more fascinated by the greatness that is Aerial Fortress. Free 30% damage per UpB is just nasty.

How are you doing the up airs? I was just trying to jump but I realized you have to fastfall jump them, I can do it sometime and I'm utter garbage as Metaknight.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
How are you doing the up airs? I was just trying to jump but I realized you have to fastfall jump them, I can do it sometime and I'm utter garbage as Metaknight.

I think it's easier with Tap jump on but I always have it off. The fast falling has to be precise and I can't keep up with that.

I play the heavies too much.

I can get like 3 Uair's and then that's it.

I guess I should mention I'd appreciate critique of my play, Shamrock. You're a guy with solid fundamentals, so I'm sure you could provide sound advice if you wanted.

GGs Shamrock, guess I'm still not enough to beat you. :/ Oh well, I'll get there someday!

I guess I should mention I'd appreciate critique of my play, Shamrock. You're a guy with solid fundamentals, so I'm sure you could provide sound advice if you wanted.

GGs man. I'd say you know your characters pretty well. I think at times you have a set way of approaching. Often times I will read how you are going to approach and I will punish accordingly. Your MK has pretty good spacing. What I would focus on is the following:

- change up your approach, and don't be so stationary when you aren't approaching. What I will do is fake approach a lot of times, bust out some moves just out of range from you to see how you will react. For instance I will come in after you and jump back, and you will short hop. The next time I approach I run in with fair and and catch you in your short hop animation. If instead you had blocked, then I may run in for a grab. It's little reads like that, that will ultimately help you ascend from just knowing your character well, to knowing the opponent well too.

edit: a perfect example, if you remember, was the first Ness match when I predicted you would move behind me well after I began my Pk Thunder into PK2

GGs man. I'd say you know your characters pretty well. I think at times you have a set way of approaching. Often times I will read how you are going to approach and I will punish accordingly. Your MK has pretty good spacing. What I would focus on is the following:

- change up your approach, and don't be so stationary when you aren't approaching. What I will do is fake approach a lot of times, bust out some moves just out of range from you to see how you will react. For instance I will come in after you and jump back, and you will short hop. The next time I approach I run in with fair and and catch you in your short hop animation. If instead you had blocked, then I may run in for a grab. It's little reads like that, that will ultimately help you ascend from just knowing your character well, to knowing the opponent well too.

Ah, thanks a lot! Yep, I don't play a character unless I really know them inside and out. :)

Hmm, I guess the whole approaching thing is an issue. I guess it has to do with how movement out of neutral feels in this game. In Melee, I'd dash dance and wavedash to wherever I needed to be, throwing out pills or lasers and what not. Here, it's dash into grab, shield, dash attack, usmash or jump. Not a lot of followups for those, in my opinion. It's why, with Fox, I've been trying to retrain myself to start walking instead unless there's a real good punish opportunity. Considering he's the third fastest walker and there's a lot more you can do out of a walk, I figure this would fix things up a bit.

Telegraphing my reactions though is definitely not good. D: I need to fix that ASAP, because I must've been getting read like a book.

EDIT: Oh, and of course I need to learn how to read you as well, Shamrock. Sometimes I feel like the only way I can punish you is by taking advantage of your character's lag times wherever possible.

Ah, thanks a lot! Yep, I don't play a character unless I really know them inside and out. :)

Hmm, I guess the whole approaching thing is an issue. I guess it has to do with how movement out of neutral feels in this game. In Melee, I'd dash dance and wavedash to wherever I needed to be, throwing out pills or lasers and what not. Here, it's dash into grab, shield, dash attack, usmash or jump. Not a lot of followups for those, in my opinion. It's why, with Fox, I've been trying to retrain myself to start walking instead unless there's a real good punish opportunity. Considering he's the third fastest walker and there's a lot more you can do out of a walk, I figure this would fix things up a bit.

Telegraphing my reactions though is definitely not good. D: I need to fix that ASAP, because I must've been getting read like a book.

EDIT: Oh, and of course I need to learn how to read you as well, Shamrock. Sometimes I feel like the only way I can punish you is by taking advantage of your character's lag times wherever possible.

Often times players get caught up with the "I have to get better with the character" mindset. In reality, I believe that 70% of being successful in this game is the hidden game of speed chess you are playing vs the opponent. Absorbing information and dishing out solutions at a fast pace can get you far with any character regardless of your knowledge of them. Instead of watching what a really good player does with a character, combo or move wise, they should be asking the question, "how did that player put the opponent into a position to get hit with that move?" The answer to that is far more valuable then "How do I pull off that move?"

Great games so far TWILT! Super intense. I've got time for one more before I have to get ready for class!

Edit: Again, great stuff! Your Shulk was pressing me harder than I remember, and Link is always a brutal fight of spacing. Thanks for playing, we'll have to do more soon!

TWILT

Banned
Great games so far TWILT! Super intense. I've got time for one more before I have to get ready for class!

GGs! Great Mega Man as always. Definitely intense. I need to stop trying to punish your BAir with an unsafe FSmash; least I was getting better with just grabbing Mega Man as the set went on, haha.

I still need to stop SDing so much with Pikachu (my second stock loss that last match was embarrassing -_-). At least my Quick Attack movement's getting better.

Often times players get caught up with the "I have to get better with the character" mindset. In reality, I believe that 70% of being successful in this game is the hidden game of speed chess you are playing vs the opponent. Absorbing information and dishing out solutions at a fast pace can get you far with any character regardless of your knowledge of them. Instead of watching what a really good player does with a character, combo or move wise, they should be asking the question, "how did that player put the opponent into a position to get hit with that move?" The answer to that is far more valuable then "How do I pull off that move?"

Given the fact I have switched mains 4 times now, I guess I'm on the right path. Yeah, I agree with you in that victory is achieved through forcing scenarios onto your opponent in order to place them in a situation that is favorable to you and less favorable to them. Of course, that's the idea behind the neutral game. It would seem in this game that the ability to place your opponent in the air creates a situation where you now have more options available than they do, but my trouble comes in picking the right option to turn their return trip to the ground into a chance to deal more damage or even KO them.

I suppose what I mean is that my ability to sort out the proper solution is hampered by my lack of experience and, therefore, a lack of examples to compare to in order to make the correct decision given the current context. For the most part, if I'm not throwing things out to see what sticks I'm just using what worked before. I guess you already saw that though, with the "set approaches" thing. ><;;;

Top Bottom