• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Samus is supposed to be like 7 feet tall. Because Chozo DNA and stuff.

Rosalina is probably around 7-9 feet tall and can cast an astral projection of herself to seem bigger.

She's supposed to be over 7' tall, possibly even bigger, depending how you scale the Prime Pirates/Marines, since she's comparatively as big as they are. She's a damned giant compared to normal humans since she's, well, not human.

Rosalina is a titan, I don't think she has a definitive height but she's like double the size of Mario.

Samus is 6'3". She is human. She was on an Earth colony when her human parents were killed. Chozo blood runs in her suit.

samus-historical-depiction.jpeg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So Short Hop Fortress will hit everyone reliably that isn't Diddy Kong, Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, Pikachu, Greninja, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Meta Knight, Olimar, Pacman.

Everyone else is fair game though so on a confirmed hit that's a free 22%-29% damage.

You can hit Pacman and Diddy sometimes while you can't really get a hit on the other characters listed due to how they stand and where their hitboxes are.

Been holding off on getting Smash until I could find a GCN controller adapter at MSRP but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the game tomorrow; the gamepad is going to have to suffice until Nintendo gets their supply issues under control.

Boney

Banned
Been holding off on getting Smash until I could find a GCN controller adapter at MSRP but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the game tomorrow; the gamepad is going to have to suffice until Nintendo gets their supply issues under control.
At least use a classic controller. The Gamepad is just way to big for it.

Vena

Samus is 6'3". She is human. She was on an Earth colony when her human parents were killed. Chozo blood runs in her suit.

Nah, she's part-Chozo as of the most recent lore, and arguably part Metroid and/or X and/or those two canceled out. No way was a normal human (little kid no less) raised on Zebes.

SoldnerKei

the only Nintendo lore I care about is Zelda, I am still having trouble to accept the official timeline, it looks like a way to say all fan theories that actually made sense a big fat "screw you!"

thou I loved how Metroid Prime worked out it's lore with those scan logs
dunno if the subspace emissary counts as Smash lore xD

the only Nintendo lore I care about is Zelda, I am still having trouble to accept the official timeline, it looks like a way to say all fan theories that actually made sense a big fat "screw you!"

Best I can tell, each Smash has its own lore. There are common themes but no apparent continuity.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

The official timeline isn't really so different from the most popular fan theory. When I was posting on ZU back in the day, at the time of Spirit Tracks release firm fan consensus had, to a reasonable degree, swung behind:

SS --- tMC --- OoT --- tWW/PH --- ST --- FS/FSA --- aLttP/OoA/OoS/LA --- LoZ/AoL
........................\
......................MM --- TP

That's not really that bad at all, given that Nintendo had never hinted that one of the timelines was literally a "What If". If people had known that, I think it would have been fairly obvious that the aLttP/OoA/OoS/LA --- LoZ/AoL branch belonged to the What If, because the gap between FSA and aLttP was clearly the winkest link (hurr hurr) in this particular chronology, as Ganon mysteriously ends up resurrecting in between the end of FSA and start of aLttP. When you account for that, the most popular fan theory would probably have looked like this:

SS --- tMC --- OoT --- tWW/PH --- ST --- FS/FSA
........................\
......................MM --- TP

SS --- tMC --- OoT --- aLttP/OoA/OoS/LA --- LoZ/AoL

This is basically right. The only changes from this is that FS is shifted to being a tMC sequel, which is a retcon given that the manual of FSA places it as an FS sequel, and that FSA takes place some time after Twilight Princess which was... unexpected, but not inconsistent. These two are the ones that just feel a bit "meh, stick 'em in anywhere", but the FS games are not particularly significant in the grand scheme of things.

Nah, she's part-Chozo as of the most recent lore, and arguably part Metroid and/or X and/or those two canceled out. No way was a normal human (little kid no less) raised on Zebes.
Wasn't she infused with Chozo dna due to not being able to survive in the environment.

SoldnerKei

This is basically right. The only changes from this is that FS is shifted to being a tMC sequel, which is a retcon given that the manual of FSA places it as an FS sequel, and that FSA takes place some time after Twilight Princess which was... unexpected, but not inconsistent. These two are the ones that just feel a bit "meh, stick 'em in anywhere", but the FS games are not particularly significant in the grand scheme of things.

yeah, I agree xD
some games seems like they were just placed for the sake of place them somewhere lol

the "what if" scenario is my biggest complain since we actually have a "real" scenario that can lead to that timeline, Link came back on time to get the Lens of Truth after traveling 7 years into the future for the first time, that leaves us with a future where Link just vanished and Ganondorf never got defeated, and that can be said about everytime we went back on time for whatever reason we had... of course that logic only works because we are splitting timelines, one of the reasons why time travel plots are so inconsistence lol

I guess that's where they wanted to go, because whenever you die in the game also counts as "Link failed", but that's not exclusive to OoT, so it still feels like a random reason to split the timeline imo

Best I can tell, each Smash has its own lore. There are common themes but no apparent continuity.

yeah that's as much as I can get, mostly Master Hand, Final Destination, those kind themes

I'm mostly a Fire Emblem/Zelda/Pokemon fan when it comes to lore. There's always some fascinating stuff in Nintendo games.

Like I never realized how OP in canon Kirby is until I REALLY looked into it.

I liked pkm lore on first gen, reading those diary entries on The Pokémon Mansion, it felt like Resident Evil at some point lol, as for Fire Emblem, most games are stand alone entries, so I never really got into it, except for the Radiant series, I was interested in the previous war that the game talks about... I mean, that lady
Altina
with both
Ragnell and Alondite
dayum... lol kirby is just nuts

Any issues besides getting used to the button placement? I'm thinking I'll have to switch shield/grab from the default.

I mostly use a GC controller, but sometimes for off-TV I use the GamePad. It's mostly fine for me except if I forget to use one of my profiles, the default R-Trigger = grab R-Button = shield really, really throws me off.

Boney

Banned
Damn my internet is down this blows

I will when Nintendo prices them resonably or there is a sale. I'm not paying $50 for a controller; accessory prices have gotten out of hand in my opinion..
I meant the wii one, it's a decent enough substitute, but I guess you don't have one.

I use the wii u pro controller though, and switch the r trigger for grab as well and take tap jump.

I use the gamepad.
Insaaaaane
hello

Been getting into watching the competitive scene and turning off tap jump seems like a must; I didn't even know you could do that until a few weeks ago. Thinking about trying to main Mario since he seems like a good character for Smash rookies.

Been getting into watching the competitive scene and turning off tap jump seems like a must; I didn't even know you could do that until a few weeks ago. Thinking about trying to main Mario since he seems like a good character for Smash rookies.
Tap jump is all about preference, so see what you like.

As for who to main, pick random until it gives you someone you like. That's how I picked my mains at least. :) You should also focus on learning Smash fundamentals first, as in my opinion they're far more important than what character you use.

Puruzi

Banned

Mario is pretty fun, and he's easy to learn combos with, so he's pretty good for beginners.
Little Mac was the first character I used though because his trailer made me too hype and i wanted to play him as soon as the game came out :T
Insaaaaane

People keep saying this if I tell them I use the gamepad, but I don't get it, it's just a regular controller with a screen in the middle. I would use a GC controller if I could, but I wasn't lucky enough to get one before they were all gone :( The gamepad is perfectly acceptable to use for me at least.

Anyone wanna 1v1? ID is HarimeNui.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
After all these years I still can't consistently pull off ground side tilts :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You can always change the control setup so that the c-stick is tilt attacks instead of smashes.

Yeah, I have one profile set up like that, depending on what character I play. But it would be nice to do it "properly". I'm too thumb heavy on the l-stick :/ Can't seem to shake off the habit, lol

Yeah, I have one profile set up like that, depending on what character I play. But it would be nice to do it "properly". I'm too thumb heavy on the l-stick :/ Can't seem to shake off the habit, lol

I honestly feel like it's the way to go and the way I should have set up the Wii U version from the get-go. After all, I had to acclimate over the many many hours with the 3DS version to not having a c-stick for Smash attacks, so it's not like I really needed it for smashes anymore. But alas, too much time with the default controls and now whenever I switch to my tilt-stick profile I find myself throwing out tilts constantly when I want to do smashes.

FSLink

Banned
After all these years I still can't consistently pull off ground side tilts :(

Yeah it just takes practice, just delay the input. Press towards where you want to tilt, wait a split second, then press A. If you're getting a Smash attack you are pressing them too close to each other and for too long, if it's a dash attack you're probably inputting it way too fast.

Having attacks on C-Stick does make it tons easier, as well as makes perfect pivot attacks much more reliable but I haven't gotten used to it yet. As a Ness main I don't need to use my tilts as often as some other characters so I usually stick with Smashes on C-Stick.

...I also put L as Jump for easier Glide Tossing for Mega Man/Diddy Kong/etc.

Boney

Banned
Both the stage spike with the bomb (didn't know that was possible) and the knee were beautiful

I hate Link haha.
Yeah he's a douche I agree that's why I wasn't playing with him in the first place when he was one of my mains in brawl!

Top Bottom