• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Dabuz's tier list.
B8-ekBBIcAEtvmO.png

Link B (Not A)? Rosalina A (Not S)? lol

Boney

Banned
So uhm hadn't really tried Mario in this game. Wow he's amazing that air mobility is crazy!

Fun games ngower, sorry if I was a little too rough, figured that platino badly on purpose wouldn't be fun nor fair. Hope you enjoyed some, I know it must've been frustrating but you're gonna be learning the ropes.

Who do you feel the most comfortable using? I suppose it's ness? You should look a few videos online to see some tactics regarding the character, nothing like real pros but some tips and clever ideas to help pad out the game.

You should also be trying to learn how to use both aerials and shielding to move in and create space, it's gonna be hard but you're gonna learn how some aerials like for the most part neutral air are pretty safe on block so you can move in like that and pressure your opponent until he makes a mistake.

Maybe this might help
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3XK8YN-oxEY

Again sorry if I was too rough, don't get discouraged though! You'll get there!

Vena

So uhm hadn't really tried Mario in this game. Wow he's amazing that air mobility is crazy!

Mario is top tier stuff, same as Luigi. Once Diddy gets Hoo-Haa'd by Sakurai, we'll see a shake up as players find new characters to actually learn to play.

Of course, I also expect Sakurai to nerf shields to 1 HP, rolls to have no iframes, and air dodging to have a 10 minute activation and end lag.

Mario is top tier stuff, same as Luigi. Once Diddy gets Hoo-Haa'd by Sakurai, we'll see a shake up as players find new characters to actually learn to play.

Of course, I also expect Sakurai to nerf shields to 1 HP, rolls to have no iframes, and air dodging to have a 10 minute activation and end lag.

If you think he's going to nerf defensive options that heavily, I don't know if I'd wanna keep playing this game. Ignoring the hyperbole, imagine if all it took to break shields was a forward smash from Sheik (the first hit).

I'd rather have longer shieldstun and slower rolls, since certain characters (SONIC) have nigh-unpunishable rolls.

Boney

Banned
Yeah...Mario's alright...
tumblr_ni91f5be5C1u20mo7o1_1280.png
Haha sorry man, should've let you stay on the offensive instead of rushing in like that, but hey, by playing stronger players you're gonna learn a lot more so I hope it helps.

Fun games ngower, sorry if I was a little too rough, figured that platino badly on purpose wouldn't be fun nor fair. Hope you enjoyed some, I know it must've been frustrating but you're gonna be learning the ropes.

Who do you feel the most comfortable using? I suppose it's ness? You should look a few videos online to see some tactics regarding the character, nothing like real pros but some tips and clever ideas to help pad out the game.

You should also be trying to learn how to use both aerials and shielding to move in and create space, it's gonna be hard but you're gonna learn how some aerials like for the most part neutral air are pretty safe on block so you can move in like that and pressure your opponent until he makes a mistake.

Maybe this might help

I'm new to smash but air dodges seem broken; they're extremely hard to punish and give your opponent yet another defensive option which slows the game down. Anybody agree or am I off base here?

Ugh, gotta wait 20 minutes for For Glory because I rage quit when a Ganondorf wouldn't stop choking + dtilt. The tech timing for that seems impossible.

So... anyone want to 1v1?

ngower

Haha sorry man, should've let you stay on the offensive instead of rushing in like that, but hey, by playing stronger players you're gonna learn a lot more so I hope it helps.

Maybe this might help

Naw, I can only get better with practice, and especially against better players. When I'm punished repeatedly for a mistake, I tend to stop doing it.

I'm setting a Feb 19th tournament (local library, nothing TOO fancy) as a date to improve by. Maybe an hour a day of practice, while it's not fun to lose it's all part of the process.

It's frustrating, sure, but I try and keep perspective. There are times when I am landing my moves and really feeling the flow of a game and I realize this time is paying off. Then there are other times where I just look like a goon and it gets disheartening. But I'm reading about all the concepts and watching videos and at least trying to get a grasp on the mechanics.

Ness is who I most enjoy playing as, but Zero Suit Samus is probably who I'm best with.

I'm new to smash but air dodges seem broken; they're extremely hard to punish and give your opponent yet another defensive option which slows the game down. Anybody agree or am I off base here?
The trick to punishing air dodges is to try and bait them out, then hit your opponent during the endlag. What I like to do sometimes is to jump up, wait for them to air dodge out of fear of the attack, then double jump and up-air while they're recovering from the first air dodge.

Of course, once you teach them that, it becomes a game of who acts first: the dodger, or the attacker? I recommend moves that stay out a while. Ike's up-air is a perfect example when you time it right, as it's almost guaranteed to hit the enemy when their invincibility is up if your positioning is good enough.
Ugh, gotta wait 20 minutes for For Glory because I rage quit when a Ganondorf wouldn't stop choking + dtilt. The tech timing for that seems impossible.

So... anyone want to 1v1?

Hah, the tech timing is tough but once you get it down, you won't be missing it much. Just a warning, gotta mix it up otherwise they'll tech chase you with another choke usually.

Vena

If you think he's going to nerf defensive options that heavily, I don't know if I'd wanna keep playing this game. Ignoring the hyperbole, imagine if all it took to break shields was a forward smash from Sheik (the first hit).

I'd rather have longer shieldstun and slower rolls, since certain characters (SONIC) have nigh-unpunishable rolls.

Looking at this from the logical perspective and not the /r/smashbros perspective of Brawl 2.0, and looking at the frame data, Sakurai obviously did some things that were intended to punish being overly defensive and the first wave of balancing nerfed certain frame data inconsistencies like the 12/15 frame airdodge landing lag on certain characters. The removal of vertical vectoring as another example.

Shields are, on paper, worse with the added lag on shielding nothing but in practice aren't really that good. The health is fine, imo, as is the lag but it needs a bit more stun and lower regen. Shielding isn't THAT good as is due to the threat of empty hops and the various grab-breaking approaches. Shield grabbing which is both a strong offensive option and defensive OOS option, has been nerfed with the removal of iframes.

Removing hyperbole, I would expect dodging/spot dodging to get tweaked into slightly longer frames without iframes, particularly on characters like Sheik. That would be a more reasonable way of nerfing her without gutting her skillful capabilities but punishing just spamming her absurd iframe dodges.

Also as I am not insane, I do not actually believe that Sakurai has blanket contempt for the competitive gaming community, and I know that he built FG on the Japanese comp scene. It was a short sighted design choice in the grand scheme of things but he was actually paying attention to competitors... just not the ones who browse Smashboards.

The trick to punishing air dodges is to try and bait them out, then hit your opponent during the endlag. What I like to do sometimes is to jump up, wait for them to air dodge out of fear of the attack, then double jump and up-air while they're recovering from the first air dodge.

Of course, once you teach them that, it becomes a game of who acts first: the dodger, or the attacker? I recommend moves that stay out a while. Ike's up-air is a perfect example when you time it right, as it's almost guaranteed to hit the enemy when their invincibility is up if your positioning is good enough.

Hah, the tech timing is tough but once you get it down, you won't be missing it much. Just a warning, gotta mix it up otherwise they'll tech chase you with another choke usually.

Ah, that makes more sense now that you've explained it to me. Seems like the key to being successful in this game is being able to bait your opponent or make good reads.

I've never done it once, though. I can't really see when I actually hit the ground, so I am essentially just hitting the shield button randomly.

Still available for play, if anyone is interested.

Boney

Banned
Like holy shit Mario is crazy

I guess now I understand why all my mains are shit tier

I've never done it once, though. I can't really see when I actually hit the ground, so I am essentially just hitting the shield button randomly.

Still available for play, if anyone is interested.
I'll play you, NNID boney64 add me :)

Or not, play shamrock and fear his powers lol
Oh wait you're playing me then

Naw, I can only get better with practice, and especially against better players. When I'm punished repeatedly for a mistake, I tend to stop doing it.

I'm setting a Feb 19th tournament (local library, nothing TOO fancy) as a date to improve by. Maybe an hour a day of practice, while it's not fun to lose it's all part of the process.

It's frustrating, sure, but I try and keep perspective. There are times when I am landing my moves and really feeling the flow of a game and I realize this time is paying off. Then there are other times where I just look like a goon and it gets disheartening. But I'm reading about all the concepts and watching videos and at least trying to get a grasp on the mechanics.

Ness is who I most enjoy playing as, but Zero Suit Samus is probably who I'm best with.
Yeah I remember reading about the tourney. Good luck with that!
If it makes you feel better, like my second main is pit and that was the one fight which I struggled the most

Looking at this from the logical perspective and not the /r/smashbros perspective of Brawl 2.0, and looking at the frame data, Sakurai obviously did some things that were intended to punish being overly defensive and the first wave of balancing nerfed certain frame data inconsistencies like the 12/15 frame airdodge landing lag on certain characters. The removal of vertical vectoring as another example.

Shields are, on paper, worse with the added lag on shielding nothing but in practice aren't really that good. The health is fine, imo, as is the lag but it needs a bit more stun and lower regen. Shielding isn't THAT good as is due to the threat of empty hops and the various grab-breaking approaches. Shield grabbing which is both a strong offensive option and defensive OOS option, has been nerfed with the removal of iframes.

Removing hyperbole, I would expect dodging/spot dodging to get tweaked into slightly longer frames without iframes, particularly on characters like Sheik. That would be a more reasonable way of nerfing her without gutting her skillful capabilities but punishing just spamming her absurd iframe dodges.

Also as I am not insane, I do not actually believe that Sakurai has blanket content for the competitive gaming community, and I know that he built FG on the Japanese comp scene. It was a short sighted design choice in the grand scheme of things but he was actually paying attention to competitors... just not the ones who browse Smashboards.
I personally agree with your idea of what the shield needs. Do you feel that spot dodges need iframes removed on the end?

lol, it's clear For Glory wasn't exactly designed for everyone but not much to be done there. He actually gave us a standard for a ruleset in the form of 2-stock matches, though the time could use a lengthening. I understand the reasoning for it being 5 minutes given how matchmaking currently is.
Ah, that makes more sense now that you've explained it to me. Seems like the key to being successful in this game is being able to bait your opponent or make good reads.

Yes, the main thing about being successful in Smash 4 is having a strong mind. To win is to out-think your opponent, with baits, reads, and setting up traps and conditioning them as needed. Most importantly, though, is the ability to understand your opponent and learn how to react against it in the short time the game gives you. Understanding that will make you a strong opponent, no matter your character.

If you're still looking for a game, I'll play ya. NNID TheRealJims

Good games man. Your Yoshi is sick. I'm still trying to find what character to use, and you have been of great help(+ you are leagues better than me). Hopefully we can play again soon.

Jims

Good games man. Your Yoshi is sick. I'm still trying to find what character to use, and you have been of great help(+ you are leagues better than me). Hopefully we can play again soon.

Thanks! Good games, DanteGhost! You played a lot of different characters and some of them really tripped me up sometimes. I liked your Toon Link game, in particular. The only thing I would add is not to be afraid to stand your ground and shield when I'm coming in. I have a tendency myself to roll out of the way too much, and miss a lot of opportunities against good shielders. Hit me up if you want some more sparring.

(Let's just not mention that crazy Pikachu/Mario rollfest on Wii Fit Studio. Pikachu is so bad at chasing rolls.) :(

Vena

I personally agree with your idea of what the shield needs. Do you feel that spot dodges need iframes removed on the end?

lol, it's clear For Glory wasn't exactly designed for everyone but not much to be done there. He actually gave us a standard for a ruleset in the form of 2-stock matches, though the time could use a lengthening. I understand the reasoning for it being 5 minutes given how matchmaking currently is.

Spot dodges are too lenient, 20/22 is just too small for the faster characters. Should be 20/24 or 20/25 as the standardized minimum. Shield is pretty good as is, its just that if they gave it a bit more stun/lower regen, the number of options will increase on the approach as shield pressure would be more viable. Right now you can "shield pressure" in the sense that you can attack it rather safely since, as I said, the OOS are somewhat nerfed with the grab changes but you can't really push it unless you are Marth or Falcon.

FG is designed on the Brawl/Melee scene, or at least what it was around the time of when Sm4sh was being planned. There's a distinction between what is legal in the West vs. what is legal in the East.

Boney

Banned
Welp

Since it's topical (for me) what's the best way to get out of a grab? Move the stick in circles or in random direction? Mash the buttons?

Welp

Since it's topical (for me) what's the best way to get out of a grab? Move the stick in circles or in random direction? Mash the buttons?

Haha, I didn't know what happened there. I mash the buttons, but I also usually have a delayed reaction to getting grabbed xD I didn't know the stick did anything for grabs.

Top Bottom