• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Nobody in particular. I just assumed that the amiibo of the character you main would be a good challenge.
Some amiibos are better than others. I've heard to avoid Link and WFT.

I don't know... There are patriots fans on here ...
:/

To clarify why I think Halberd should be banned, any hazard that targets a player makes the match inherently unbalanced. If there were a hazard that just stuck to one localized part of the stage, that would be fine, but a hazard that flips a coin and goes after one player or another makes a match more "fun" and less competitive.

I will give options in the survey during sign-up for different match lengths and such.

I will specifically poll about Halberd and Skyloft.

I will include a "don't care" option for custom moves.

CaptainRQ, I actually like the conversation being here. It helps bring people together. Is there something especially great about this program?

I will make the survey this weekend. Then people have a few weeks to sign up.

Let me know if I missed anything that I need to address.

To clarify why I think Halberd should be banned, any hazard that targets a player makes the match inherently unbalanced. If there were a hazard that just stuck to one localized part of the stage, that would be fine, but a hazard that flips a coin and goes after one player or another makes a match more "fun" and less competitive.

But those hazards are so incredibly easy to avoid

I honestly don't think Halberd is THAT bad. And personally, I try to alleviate the annoyance by basically just trying as much as possible to have a pause during the laser cannon portion. I've seen some people try and take advantage of it on some tourney streams, but I'm content to wait for it to complete.

I'm not saying it's my favorite stage in the world or anything, but I'm just in favor of allowing for as much stage diversity as possible. Otherwise we're left with, what? Smashville, Town and City, Battlefield, and FD/Omega stages? And then I guess Delfino, Skyloft, and Castle Siege (though the latter two are controversial in and of itself in some circles).

My Fox amiibo is godlike in 1v1, wonder where he got that skill from. ;)

Also bruh Halberd's hazards are total non-issues, they're super telegraphed and very easy to avoid unless your opponent purposefully traps you in a situation where you can't avoid it, and I'm having a hard time thinking one up. The only issue with that stage IMO is the ledges, looking like Brawl FD with that lip catching everybody.
I will give options in the survey during sign-up for different match lengths and such.

I will specifically poll about Halberd and Skyloft.

I will include a "don't care" option for custom moves.

CaptainRQ, I actually like the conversation being here. It helps bring people together. Is there something especially great about this program?

I will make the survey this weekend. Then people have a few weeks to sign up.

Let me know if I missed anything that I need to address.

#FreeHalberd

Fuck Skyloft, I get more timeouts on that stage than actual stocks.

I didn't mean to sound like I didn't like the conversations here (I'm part of the problem, I can't complain.) Rather, I thought it would be interesting because of how Anther's Ladder (which you can visit here) handles stage counterpicks, where it presents them to the players and asks them to ban in turns on the first match, and onwards has the winner ban stages while the loser counterpicks like in actual sets. It's really simple and easy, but the issue is the system will only be active when doing a Bo3 or Bo5, which doesn't fit our current Bo9 sets.

On that note, if we are going to keep the B09 format we should considering lowering the stock count, as some of my sets tended to last nearly a whole hour to complete, especially when it was neck-and-neck (damn you Poltergust and your surprise Yoshi, I wasn't expecting that ><;;;) and of course we don't need to prolong the suffering of our weaker players who are still stuck in strong brackets like Bracket 2.

JCX

I honestly don't think Halberd is THAT bad. And personally, I try to alleviate the annoyance but basically just trying as much as possible by trying to have a pause during the laser cannon portion. I've seen some people try and take advantage of it on some tourney streams, but I'm content to wait for it to complete.

I'm not saying it's my favorite stage in the world or anything, but I'm just in favor of allowing for as much stage diversity as possible. Otherwise we're left with, what? Smashville, Town and City, Battlefield, and FD/Omega stages? And then I guess Delfino and Castle Siege (though the latter is controversial in and of itself in some circles).

Yeah, one reason I don't watch streams more often is the constant smashville. I enjoy moving stages most since the encourage constant movement and varying strategies.

Yeah, one reason I don't watch streams more often is the constant smashville. I enjoy moving stages most since the encourage constant movement and varying strategies.

Don't get me wrong, I like Smashville. I really do. It's what I generally pick as a first stage just because it's the super common thing to do. I just also like mixing it up.

Best FD stage is Palutena's temple. Not a single bad background track..

Shoutout to Magnus theme for being da bess

Holy fuck I'm playing the campiest Ness ever and it's so aggravating. EDIT: To elaborate, all he did was stand there and if you approached, he would spot dodge or roll. Then, if you used an attack he would rush in to take advantage of the endlag with a dash attack or a dthrow into fairs (which he always missed.) I was Wario, who I had no experience with beyond seeing how Spin played (and that was a fucklong time ago), so of course I had to be incredibly careful with my attacks. I eventually beat him after 4 minutes of painful baiting and punishing, and every time I threw him off the ledge I caught him with powershielding his obvious fair into a grab or ftilt because I dunno how to wah wah wah. He caught on and tried to get on the stage through constant air dodging which I beat through...well, waiting for the moment where he wasn't invincible. I read his rolls using dsmash, survived bthrow at 110% (wtf), and caught his ass with an usmash after he tried the airdodge shit again.

Match 2, I'm Samus because I was just using the random button at this point, and he starts doing the same shit again. Even worse, I know fuck all about Samus other than her jab is shit, so I floundered around trying to bait the motherfucker. I took a stock after my ass forgot tethers don't grab walls in this game and SD'd, and he's still pulling the stupid wait-and-punish game. Now you better fucking believe I was doing all I can to bait the fucker, but come on I don't even know if Samus has any moves without fuckhuge endlag. ><;;; He narrowly beats me after I fail to use the proper missile and leaves. I can not fucking believe there are people out there that play like that, and the very idea that I probably supported his playstyle working by sandbagging to hell and back only pisses me off even more. Fucking shit, if there was a movement technique with remotely as much utility as wavedashing I would feel so much better, but damn it was painful.

Puruzi

Banned
Via Reddit
step 1- play a quick regular smash game vs cpu as the character you want moves for
step 2- 1-player target smash (i go with stage1 because it's easy) again using character you want moves for
step 3- as soon as it starts, pause, see if there is a green wrench icon on screen. If not, hit lz/rz to reset stage until there is. Hit the green wrench with bomb.
repeat step3 until you have all customs or girlfriend flips out from listening to REAAADY???GOOOOOO on repeat for 45 minutes.
This will give you a custom, equipment, or cosmetic every time. You can easily get a few wrenches a minute. Nothing guaranteed, but it will HEAVILY favor specials for the character you're playing, even more so if you've "been playing" them (which is why you play a match with them before doing this). Also favors other characters you play often over those you don't, from my experience.

This actually does work, been doing it for a bit now, so if anyone was looking for an easy way to get customs, there it is.

Puruzi

Banned
Does it actually makes a difference playing a match beforehand

Yeah, I did it with Target Blast with Ness without playing a match first and the first custom I got was one for Charizard. Played a match with Mario and did Target blast with him and got a Mario custom every time I got a custom move from the wrenches.

Boney

Banned
Yeah, I did it with Target Blast with Ness without playing a match first and the first custom I got was one for Charizard. Played a match with Mario and did Target blast with him and got a Mario custom every time I got a custom move from the wrenches.
Coolsies

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
I just can't seem to understand how Ganon's super armor on his Warlock Punch works. I always get hit out of it, despite knowing exactly how to use Charizard's super armor on Rock Smash flawlessly.

Can anyone explain to me how it works and how to use it correctly?

I just can't seem to understand how Ganon's super armor on his Warlock Punch works. I always get hit out of it, despite knowing exactly how to use Charizard's super armor on Rock Smash flawlessly.

Can anyone explain to me how it works and how to use it correctly?

I don't think you can rely on super armor until Ganondorf has already started the punch.

I really need to learn Greninja's physics-defying Water Shuriken pivots.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
It only works grounded, and you can't reverse it.
Super armor is only on regular grounded warlock punch

Ahhhhhh, that explains a few things. OK, so: be on the ground and don't use the reversed one. Got it.

Does it work throughout the entirety of the attack, though, like Rock Smash?

Top Bottom