• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Like I said, beating me to a pulp was gonna happen lol. At least I won a few.

GG's nonetheless

edit: I got no confidence in my skills for the ranbats. Only gotten the game a couple weeks ago and have to unlearn all the stupid stuff from playing against my friends for years on past smash games.
That's where I am. Rolling, especially. Didn't stop me from entering. Losing can be productive.

I had a weird glitch just now. I was Ganondorf and got the Smash ball. However, I was trapped under the bowl on the Garden of Hope stage with Robin. I activated my final smash, broke the bowl, and KO'd him, but the Ganon beast was really small. It was like the size of Ganondorf. I thought it was pretty funny.

[edit]I tried it out again and it definitely makes him smaller.

zlCfzTAfqtgx_1ygWz

zlCfzTAfvs0dms-CcH
Hehe! MiniGanon!

Ryce

I'd kind of like for Mewtwo to get a new recovery, honestly. He was only able to learn Teleport as a TM move way back in generation 1, and it's not something anyone really associates with Mewtwo as a character. The only problem is that I don't know what would work better as a replacement.

I'd kind of like for Mewtwo to get a new recovery, honestly. He was only able to learn Teleport as a TM move way back in generation 1, and it's not something anyone really associates with Mewtwo as a character. The only problem is that I don't know what would work better as a replacement.
They could just give him a float that can be controlled. Cancelable into attacks to give him unique flavor, with 8-way directional control. He is the Pokemon that always floats about. It would be like a mix of Rob and Peach, but with a shorter duration.

I hope he gets Psystrike. We don't need two Aura Spheres.

Ryce

They could just give him a float that can be controlled. Cancelable into attacks to give him unique flavor, with 8-way directional control. He is the Pokemon that always floats about. It would be like a mix of Rob and Peach, but with a shorter duration.

I hope he gets Psystrike. We don't need two Aura Spheres.
I'm thinking his Final Smash will transform him into Mega Mewtwo Y, where he can float around for ~10 seconds and activate Psystrike by pressing an attack button (as a damaging bubble that expands outwards from him).

Ryce

Hate those flying final smashes. Charizard being like that was so disappointing
They make sense aesthetically for certain characters, though. Charizard's a flying type who doesn't really get the chance to fly in his regular moveset.

Beats

Just came back from my first Smash 4 tournament. There were around 65 entrants and it was round robin pools, so I got to play a lot of matches. I didn't do as well as I hoped, but I didn't get completely destroyed. I went 3-5 in my pool, but most of my losses were last game last stock and were generally fairly close games. Fought these Samus, Mario and Link players that gave me a lot of trouble. I definitely need more practice against those characters. > . < I mostly used ZSS, but I used Pikachu if my opponent was using ZSS. Despite not making it out of pools I was pretty happy about the whole experience.

Ally was there also, and I think one of the best Ness' in Canada too. I forgot his name though. Luckily they weren't in my pool lol.

lol, my TV basically got bodied. So long plasma, you served me well these past few years.

So until I become unlazy enough to unplug and replug everything, I gotta use the Gamepad to Smash. Anyone know about display lag on it, or would it actually be better than my plasma lol?

jnWake

lol, my TV basically got bodied. So long plasma, you served me well these past few years.

So until I become unlazy enough to unplug and replug everything, I gotta use the Gamepad to Smash. Anyone know about display lag on it, or would it actually be better than my plasma lol?

As far as I know it should be a lot better than most TVs.

GamePad has less than 0 lag.

Your plasma only lasted a few years? o_O

I've had mine for 4 without issues.

As far as I know it should be a lot better than most TVs.
Sweet, good to hear.
GamePad has less than 0 lag.

Your plasma only lasted a few years? o_O

I've had mine for 4 without issues.

Haha, I think I've had it since 08, so that would make it 6 years and some months. The only burn-in the thing got was from the Smash menus the past few months, so I think I'm lucky in that regard.

Thankfully I have an extra TV I can use for couch multiplayer, but it's damn tiny so I better start shopping around! '~'

Hi guys,

Just wanted to expand further on an issue Red Wizard brought up yesterday concerning connecting online, since I'm the person he is trying to connect with.

Really searched all over the web for a solution, but got nothing, so hoping we could get something from you guys if possible...

Basically, me and my friend (will call him RW) have never played against each other online before. We've never had any issue like this online before in Smash 4, and we connect perfectly fine to any other friends or randoms (can both do For Glory and friend lobbies with no issues).

If I host a room for RW to join, he will see it and try to join. However, the message that should pop up on my end to allow him into the room never pops up. The sound that plays when the message pops up does play, however. That 'ping' sound. Then, after a while, the other ping sound that indicates I've left responding to the message too long plays. The ping sounds play, but the messages never pop up.

This is exactly the same if RW hosts and I try to join him.

We tried another solution: get a mutual friend to host, and we both join him. We can both get into a lobby this way, but when it comes to playing the match, it will hang in the sandbag room, and eventually RW gets disconnected. He says his 'ping' goes nuts, jumping up to 6k or something (I'm sure he said that, but I forget the exact numbers now - could be way more, could be way less). Either way, it's a lot, and it causes his game to d/c, as well as kick him offline on his computer.

He's tried playing the game by d/cing other devices; both of us have tried messing in router/firewall settings; tried connecting through another router - but still no different. We are both in the UK, so it's not a distance issue.

Again, neither of us have had this issue with anyone before.

There is something stopping the both of us from ever connecting properly to each other. The game tries to, because we can hear that join sound, but it just won't let us in together.

We're doing an on-going tourney and we're opponents, so we really want to get this match done, but the fact we've never encountered this or can't find any answer online is a huge problem right now.

If anyone has any ideas, please do get in touch. Drop a PM if necessary, so I'll instantly get the message.

Many thanks for reading, and any possible help.

Sweet, good to hear.

Haha, I think I've had it since 08, so that would make it 6 years and some months. The only burn-in the thing got was from the Smash menus the past few months, so I think I'm lucky in that regard.

Thankfully I have an extra TV I can use for couch multiplayer, but it's damn tiny so I better start shopping around! '~'
At the age of 28, I got a beanbag chair. I will never game in a couch again.

Just wanna say that sounds majorly shitty. I'm assuming you guys already tried solutions including port forwarding, switching to wired connection, etc.?

The fact that it only affects you two connecting directly to each other makes me wonder what it could be. The problem sounds very specific, and may necessitate calling your ISP. Of course, I don't know how things work in the UK so I'm not sure how much mileage you'll get from that. Hope you guys get the help you need. :(
At the age of 28, I got a beanbag chair. I will never game in a couch again.

But you're old, you shouldn't be sitting in beanbag chairs like some hip youngster. D:

Seriously though, I want a beanbag chair now because they were always the shit when I was a toddler and damn were they comfy to sit in. They could probably do something to help me relax in tense Smash situations, too.

Just wanna say that sounds majorly shitty. I'm assuming you guys already tried solutions including port forwarding, switching to wired connection, etc.?

The fact that it only affects you two connecting directly to each other makes me wonder what it could be. The problem sounds very specific, and may necessitate calling your ISP. Of course, I don't know how things work in the UK so I'm not sure how much mileage you'll get from that. Hope you guys get the help you need. :(
The thing with port forwarding is that I can never find any official port numbers for Nintendo Network and Wii U. There are all sorts flying around when you look around, like for the Wii and other certain older games on that system, but can never find any solid official numbers. I've opened what I think are the right ones for previous Nintendo online issues, like 443 and something else. If there are any specific numbers I need to open, would love to know, just so I can add them.

Wired isn't really an option for me, I don't think, due to where the system and router is, but I will have to consider going out of my way to try it if possible. I want to say I can't see that being the issue, but I have no clue else what it could be, so would have to try it.

The thing with port forwarding is that I can never find any official port numbers for Nintendo Network and Wii U. There are all sorts flying around when you look around, like for the Wii and other certain older games on that system, but can never find any solid official numbers. I've opened what I think are the right ones for previous Nintendo online issues, like 443 and something else. If there are any specific numbers I need to open, would love to know, just so I can add them.

Wired isn't really an option for me, I don't think, due to where the system and router is, but I will have to consider going out of my way to try it if possible. I want to say I can't see that being the issue, but I have no clue else what it could be, so would have to try it.
Do you have one of those situations where your modem is a router? I had that with my current set up where it was a router hooked up to a router. So forward ports on one router did fuck all... But my fix was router specific..

Still looking Shamrock?
I'll play you if shamrock is busy/not up to it..

But you're old, you shouldn't be sitting in beanbag chairs like some hip youngster. D:

Seriously though, I want a beanbag chair now because they were always the shit when I was a toddler and damn were they comfy to sit in. They could probably do something to help me relax in tense Smash situations, too.
I'm 30, married, and my wife is pregnant. We both game in beanbag chairs. :-D

Do you have one of those situations where your modem is a router? I had that with my current set up where it was a router hooked up to a router. So forward ports on one router did fuck all... But my fix was router specific.

Supposedly, yeah, it's a router modem... BT Home Hub to be precise (although I read it's really just a router and switch). There could be an issue specific to it that's blocking us...

But with my friend actually getting a massive ping count on his end and his connection going dead on his computer when I try to connect with him, would that say it's an issue on my end or his? :/

I can actually stay in a room with another host, but he is the only one that gets d/c'd from it; whereas I don't.

I've said we should get a beanbag chair for a couple of years now and everytime I mention it my wife thinks I'm joking.
Oh man, it's so good. We got two that were each big enough for both of us. We call them "the boobs", and it's like laying on a gigantic pillow. They aren't actually filled with "beans", they are filled with this foam that makes them excruciatingly comfortable. The surfaces are suede, but we put bedsheets over them to keep them clean since they can't really be washed (pets, body stuff...). I'll also add that they can be quite enjoyable for intimate occasions...

They ran us $200 each, and I haven't regretted it for a moment.

Supposedly, yeah, it's a router modem... BT Home Hub to be precise (although I read it's really just a router and switch). There could be an issue specific to it that's blocking us...

But with my friend actually getting a massive ping count on his end and his connection going dead on his computer when I try to connect with him, would that say it's an issue on my end or his? :/

I can actually stay in a room with another host, but he is the only one that gets d/c'd from it; whereas I don't.
I'm not really an expert on routers(and it took me a while searching forums for a solution for me), but what I did was I have a speedstream modem/router hooked up to my linksys router (where all the connections and wireless goes to). I changed the NAT/NAPT configuration to "NAT Only Enabled Private (LAN) IP Address", bypassing the firewall of the modem and going directly to the router that all the other connections are on.. I don't know if that helps you at all...

edit: wait do you just have a router modem, or is your router modem hooked up to another router? The later (router modem --> router) is what I have..

I'm not really an expert on routers(and it took me a while searching forums for a solution for me), but what I did was I have a speedstream modem/router hooked up to my linksys router (where all the connections and wireless goes to). I changed the NAT/NAPT configuration to "NAT Only Enabled Private (LAN) IP Address", bypassing the firewall of the modem and going directly to the router that all the other connections are on.. I don't know if that helps you at all...

edit: wait do you just have a router modem, or is your router modem hooked up to another router?
Honestly, I have no idea, but I will have a look in my settings tomorrow to see if there's anything that sounds remotely close to that, and have a mess around.

Appreciate trying to help. Gotta head off in the meantime, but any further advice is welcomed. Thanks again.

Edit: Router modem is what I have (not a router hooked to another router). But supposedly it's not really acting as a modem, it's just a router and a switch, from what I've read. I'm not savvy enough to know the major differences.

It's this thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They make sense aesthetically for certain characters, though. Charizard's a flying type who doesn't really get the chance to fly in his regular moveset.

For Charizard X it makes no sense at all actually. Charizard X's stats are geared as a physical attacker.

It would have made more sense to have him transform into Charizard Y to fly around.

Ooh wee, I'm in the middle of an online tournament, and Villager's Tree Custom (I forget the number, but it's the one where the shrub makes you trip) is so infuriatingly good. Makes matches so much more satisfying when opponents WANT to stay away from you. :D

Yah I dunno then you could maybe try setting up a DMZ for the specific IP your Wii U is on.

But anyway anyone want to play some 1v1s? nnid: direct_quote

I'll play you for a little bit, DQ. :D I'll be using the gamepad, so pardon any sloppy play on my part.

If you're gone though, I guess I could play some custom-filled matches with others too. :)

FSLink

Banned
Ooh wee, I'm in the middle of an online tournament, and Villager's Tree Custom (I forget the number, but it's the one where the shrub makes you trip) is so infuriatingly good. Makes matches so much more satisfying when opponents WANT to stay away from you. :D
Counter Timber (custom 2)

Yeah, and when it's fully grown, it turns into a Wobbuffet Tree essentially. Hitting the tree with a physical attack means you get bounced back and damaged.
The sapling by itself is very effective too for how long it stays out.

Counter Timber (custom 2)

Yeah, and when it's fully grown, it turns into a Wobbuffet Tree essentially. Hitting the tree with a physical attack means you get bounced back and damaged.
The sapling by itself is very effective too for how long it stays out.

I'm 4-1 right now thanks to that Custom.

shrub you the real mvp
9jBmg.png

Top Bottom