• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thanks for this, just did it an hour or so ago. Gordo just bounces on them and hits so many times it's ridiculous! I was able to actually finish the whole fight without losing a stock (I lost one along the way though, so no stockless yet).

No problem, and good job. I'm glad that you got it over with! :D

SoldnerKei

Yeah, they're like long spikes. I also don't usually have lag playing against anyone here—though I have an adapter—so maybe it's the combination of distance and that we're not both playing with one. That last match was better, though.

yeah, but lag came back, I guess it's not a good night for wifi xD
nevertheless good games Flux, I recall you use Sonic, hopefully we will have a better chance to clash with mains next time, GGs

Thanks always fun to play, ggs. I kept getting griefed by that magnet though >_< . I need to try and gimp Ness more or something..

edit: if anyone wants to play some games, nnid: direct_quote..

Yea, essentially the thing with the PSI Vaccuum is, because of Ness's other moves, it's easy to lure them into it. Ness has great aerials, so if he comes up after you, chances are you are going to dodge, so as a change up I hit the vaccuum and it sucks you right in while you are dodging and I get a hit. It can keep you in PK Fire. If Ness hits it on the ground, it has the character land on the floor in a way where you can follow up with dash attack, or maybe even something better. Then it really screws with some people's recoveries because the pull in is so great.

Did you notice while we played I essentially figured out a 0-55 percent combo using it? Might have been more, but it was pkfire ->dthrow -> fair -> PSI Vacuum -> dash attack

That stupid leak made me buy Legends since it was $10 on PSN :p

I must say, I'm loving it so far (there's so much to do!) but my least favorite part by far is the characters. Every time I unlock a new character I get excited until I realize it's just that frog (which you'd think I'd love), that annoying girl, or one of the teensies (which much be the worst designs ever). I like Rayman the most, but even he's just the least annoying.

So I'm glad it was fake as of now. Maybe the stage would have been cool though.

FSLink

Banned
I love psi vacuum

Yeah it's like a ghetto shine, lol. It can throw people off for sure, but I don't think it's that great unfortunately, but has some uses for punishing rolls/air dodges. Definitely worth having over PSI Magnet against characters without projectiles though.

Did you notice while we played I essentially figured out a 0-55 percent combo using it? Might have been more, but it was pkfire ->dthrow -> fair -> PSI Vacuum -> dash attack
Yah that was pretty good, but I do wonder how punishable it was when you were using it in neutral. Is that his only worth while custom?

Yeah it's like a ghetto shine, lol. It can throw people off for sure, but I don't think it's that great unfortunately, but has some uses for punishing rolls/air dodges. Definitely worth having over PSI Magnet against characters without projectiles though.

It's not some magnificent game changer, but It gives you a ton of new options if used correctly. I'd encourage you to try it out some more. I know you can figure out some cool stuff with it

Yah that was pretty good, but I do wonder how punishable it was when you were using it in neutral. Is that his only worth while custom?

Most of Ness's customs are useless. A few are very very situational. Vacuum is the only one I can see using more often than the original, and it's still based on the matchup, because any character with easy magnet/healing opportunities, you are going to go with that. Lasting PK Thunder is ok, but the tradeoff in losing PK2 kill power (which is much easier to hit in this game), and the harassing with PKThunder in the air is too much to give up for a slight increase in recovery range. The other one is terrible and I can only see being useful in 2v2s maybe. Lucas Magnet may be alright, but it seems to have a little more lag at the end, and doesn't heal as much. Lucas PK fire I can only see being useful for 2 or 3 matchups (Jiggly Puff, Kirby, maybe one other), and the other one is terrible. Rising PK Flash is worthless, and so is PK Freeze. If Freeze covered the same distance as Lucas' in Brawl, it would be different, but it pretty much follows the same distance as Flash.

Forkball

Chrom and Ice Climbers HYPE
yzrgmjmrfmpwvxl3tsnx.jpg

GGs Vermillion. That Custom UpB is annoying to deal with.

Yeah, lol. It's really way better than Final Cutter. I was trying to get that Meteor Stone off trump, but can't do it. I think I'll stick with regular Stone, and maybe Hammer Flip.

Related: A friend joined me after our match, and we have a good connection. He is fucking me up. He won't stop pressing buttons.

Holy shit, so many customs kill Beef ;_; So many. Dude is dancing all over the place and killing me with... a Tornado custom? I don't know what's happening

Nibel

Nibel are you down for Marth dittos?

If you are talking about me (since your posts show up when I look for mine): the funny thing is that you are not playing against me but my little brother who uses my Wii U from time to time. Afaik he's on Smashboards, you can get in contact with him there; his name is LayingSnow :)

I have a question regarding competitive play. My friend and I are looking at entering a 2v2 tournament on Feb.28th in Houston and I was wondering who you guys think are some good pairs to play with. I'm alright with:

-Bowser
-Shulk
-Little Mac
-Pikachu
-Captain Falcon
-Megaman
-Lucina

So for a second person to be playing with one of the above who should it be? And it can be a pair that doesn't involve one of the above either just kind of narrowing it down a bit.
IMO the great thing about doubles is you can pull off moves that are way too punishable for 1v1, because your ally is keeping the closer opponent occupied. Things like Ganon's neutral B or Ike's F-smash. On the other hand, you can build up damage way quicker with moves with no knockback by teaming up on someone, e.g. Sheik neutral A combo mixed with Ness's PK Fire.

Tell us who your friend's mains are too, and we'll think about what teams you can make from those.

Okay, now I'm scared. Anything this good for Shamrock can't be good for the rest of us. D:
I'm not even worried about Shamrock. I gotta get up to mid-level before I even consider playing him :p

kitsuneyo

Can someone explain to me where to find Target Blast? Am I totally dumb or do you have to unlock this game?

Also, what's the best game mode for learning the game, for a total newcomer?

Thanks!

Can someone explain to me where to find Target Blast? Am I totally dumb or do you have to unlock this game?

Also, what's the best game mode for learning the game, for a total newcomer?

Thanks!

Games & More > Solo > Stadium > Target Blast

Watch the How to Play video, play the Stadium modes, check out Classic, try to beat all the events, play some matches online in "For Fun," play some people on here, go through the challenge board doing the things the challenge board says.

FSLink

Banned
It's not some magnificent game changer, but It gives you a ton of new options if used correctly. I'd encourage you to try it out some more. I know you can figure out some cool stuff with it
I've been messing around with customs with every character since the JPN 3DS release, I think it's like Kong Cyclone, it'll throw you off and it does add options but once people get used to it, it's not super crazy yeah (though DK's Kong Cyclone is a bit different in that it pushes him from mid tier to like a high tier character on a stage with platforms). I think it's pretty effective in mixing up with PK Fire to punish rolls since PK Fire can be punished pretty badly if the opponent is watching for it. It's probably Ness's most interesting custom for sure.

Speaking of Kong Cyclone, PSI Vaccuum can clash with it in some hilarious ways.

As a Lucas main in Brawl it's pretty disappointing the ported over PK Fire and PK Freeze aren't even as good for Ness. PK Fire is much more laggy. :( I agree it would be more useful against Kirby and Jigglypuff but those matchups are rather easy for Ness anyway.
Yeah, lol. It's really way better than Final Cutter. I was trying to get that Meteor Stone off trump, but can't do it. I think I'll stick with regular Stone, and maybe Hammer Flip.

Related: A friend joined me after our match, and we have a good connection. He is fucking me up. He won't stop pressing buttons.

Holy shit, so many customs kill Beef ;_; So many. Dude is dancing all over the place and killing me with... a Tornado custom? I don't know what's happening

Upper Cutter is fantastic. Meteor Stone is pretty bad due to the end lag. Regular stone is best just for the surprise bairs you can do out of it sometimes, and the occasional "get off me" move when people are juggling Kirby. I also think Jumping Inhale is one of the best customs for Kirby too.

Man I hope customs and the recent push for it after Apex gets more steam. It really changes a lot of the matchups in interesting ways.

hey Nabster, how did you do at Apex?

shouldn't you pick a teammate based on your synergy with them, even if it's not one of those characters?

also what tournament are you going to

Yep, Chemistry is the biggest deciding factor on who I'm going to choose. We are going to do TCG (Texas Gaming Championships) in Houston.

IMO the great thing about doubles is you can pull off moves that are way too punishable for 1v1, because your ally is keeping the closer opponent occupied. Things like Ganon's neutral B or Ike's F-smash. On the other hand, you can build up damage way quicker with moves with no knockback by teaming up on someone, e.g. Sheik neutral A combo mixed with Ness's PK Fire.

Tell us who your friend's mains are too, and we'll think about what teams you can make from those.

I'm not even worried about Shamrock. I gotta get up to mid-level before I even consider playing him :p

-Ness
-Olimar
-Marth
-Ike
-Link
-Luigi

FSLink

Banned
Yep, Chemistry is the biggest deciding factor on who I'm going to choose. We are going to do TCG (Texas Gaming Championships) in Houston.

-Ness
-Olimar
-Marth
-Ike
-Link
-Luigi

I really like the synergy of Little Mac + Ness in doubles. PK Thunder can save Little Mac sometimes, and they can cover each other's laggy moves like PK Thunder 2 or Little Mac's smashes. The craziness of 2v2 lets Little Mac get away with more too.

Luigi is a great character in doubles too just for the hitbox on back throw if you need to get people off of you (an opponent's partner trying to hit Luigi while he's grabbing for example).

I've been messing around with customs with every character since the JPN 3DS release, I think it's like Kong Cyclone, it'll throw you off and it does add options but once people get used to it, it's not super crazy yeah (though DK's Kong Cyclone is a bit different in that it pushes him from mid tier to like a high tier character on a stage with platforms). I think it's pretty effective in mixing up with PK Fire to punish rolls since PK Fire can be punished pretty badly if the opponent is watching for it. It's probably Ness's most interesting custom for sure.

Speaking of Kong Cyclone, PSI Vaccuum can clash with it in some hilarious ways.

As a Lucas main in Brawl it's pretty disappointing the ported over PK Fire and PK Freeze aren't even as good for Ness. PK Fire is much more laggy. :( I agree it would be more useful against Kirby and Jigglypuff but those matchups are rather easy for Ness anyway.

Yea, they totally missed the point with Lucas PK Fire and Magnet. What made them good in Brawl was the way they changed/supplemented Lucas's momentum in the air. Pk Fire shooting him backwards, and Magnet not stopping you dead in your tracks.

TWILT

Banned
Upper Cutter is fantastic. Meteor Stone is pretty bad due to the end lag. Regular stone is best just for the surprise bairs you can do out of it sometimes, and the occasional "get off me" move when people are juggling Kirby. I also think Jumping Inhale is one of the best customs for Kirby too.

Man I hope customs and the recent push for it after Apex gets more steam. It really changes a lot of the matchups in interesting ways.

Upper Cutter is so awesome. Gives Kirby a KO move, a much better recovery, a combo ender, a good "Shoryuken"-ish/OoS move (I remember reading it has a couple invincibility frames at the beginning)...I really wish it was his default up special. Mostly been rocking 3231 for Kirby and it's a lot of fun.

Wheres tipster :V

*is well aware tipster is way out of my league in skill since I barely play smash nowadays*

You should play me again sometime. :p

Top Bottom