• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Ah. Up B early to get back on the stage to counter a ledge chase. Bowser can't recover onto the stage safely when he is facing away from the ledge. It's a weakness unique to him. Yay.
If Palutena is facing away from the stage you can teleport and not snap to the ledge even if you are inches from it (as opposed to if she is facing the stage)...

If Palutena is facing away from the stage you can teleport and not snap to the ledge even if you are inches from it (as opposed to if she is facing the stage)...
Right, but you can go a bit lower and snap to it just fine.

Bowser NEVER, EVER snaps when facing away from the ledge. He has to complete all of the Fortress animation before he snaps. He's basically a sitting duck, a free kill.

I actually went through the entire cast and checked this, so I'm very confident of my claim. Yes, I picked all 50-something characters, hopped off the ledge, and B-reversed to snap to it again.

Right, but you can go a bit lower and snap to it just fine.

Bowser NEVER, EVER snaps when facing away from the ledge. He has to complete all of the Fortress animation before he snaps. He's basically a sitting duck, a free kill.

I actually went through the entire cast and checked this, so I'm very confident of my claim. Yes, I picked all 50-something characters, hopped off the ledge, and B-reversed to snap to it again.
true, but it still sucks... Yah that sucks for Bowser the most though..

Anyone down for a quick set? nnid:direct_quote

TWILT

Banned
GGs Kei! Really fun matches though I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get M.Bomb KO on you (and...I think I KOed myself using that on the first stock >_>). I'll take that dair stage spike though on the last stock lol

SoldnerKei

GGs Kei! Really fun matches though I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get M.Bomb KO on you (and...I think I KOed myself using that on the first stock >_>). I'll take that dair stage spike though on the last stock lol

yeah, that was a pretty smart move to go all out for the dair spike xD thou I got a few meteor bombs kills huehue

Good Games TWILT, I really enjoyed that Link Dittos set, all were pretty close and I'll get my revenge next time P:
also gg with your other characters, gonna do some Shulk dittos next time, prepare to really feel it!

also do you mind if I record those matches and upload them on youtube? those were pretty good games and deserve a spotlight huehue

Cronox

Banned
Thanks for the compliment, unlike FLUX, who is a doodie-head! >:-|

Also, one day someone will explain to me why 99% of the people who post here decide to cut my name off at the "s" for an abbreviation instead of the "t". :-O

:-D

Sonic is definitely a match-up where I just shrug my shoulders and wing it, but now that I reconfigured my controller for better OoS Fortresses, I think I might fare better. I wouldn't say my play has changed a ton, but Cronox might be better at handling the Sonic MU than me. Actually, if you saved any of the replays, I'd love to see them. If Cronox has good anti-Sonic tools, I want to steal them. :)

Ha, I ended up doing a lot of hanging on the ledge against his Sonic (getting tossed around as one does in the MU), so I tried to bait out an attack by continuing to hang on after invincibility was over and getting up before sonic's punish could connect. None of Sonic's punishes on a ledge hanger last for very long, so the get-up animation covers not getting hit. Then, a small window to punish. Kinda... situational.

I also remembered (from watching a very lengthy Sonic analysis yesterday... well, half-watching) that a pivot grab beats Sonic's spindash. Ideally, when they start the spindash at medium range, you dash away for the pivot grab when Sonic catches up.

Besides that I was also winging it... just trying not to get combo'd too much :/

I have a habit of never saving replays anymore, when I'm for glorying it seems like every night there are a few matches that were glorious enough to save, but if I did that I'd have an unmanageable list of them. And I'm afraid the Wii U patch will come out and make all the replays unwatchable soon anyway :/

What was he doing?

I never get to see other Bowsers play unless it's against me, and Bowser vs. Bowser is a really weird matchup. I should look up the guys Cronox listed, because I've never seen anyone play Bowser but me. :-/

Unfortunately it's rare to see a Bowser win on stream. Bowser is kind of like Greninja in that way. But Calmanimal and Oco Le Troof have at least a couple wins on streams, which is more than any other tourney Bowser player can say.

Edit:
Ah. Up B early to get back on the stage to counter a ledge chase. Bowser can't recover onto the stage safely when he is facing away from the ledge. It's a weakness unique to him. Yay.

I went pretty deep to kill Sonic a couple times. He doesn't have the greatest horizontal speed in the air, so I'm not sure if Bowser is really in danger there.

TWILT

Banned
yeah, that was a pretty smart move to go all out for the dair spike xD thou I got a few meteor bombs kills huehue

Good Games TWILT, I really enjoyed that Link Dittos set, all were pretty close and I'll get my revenge next time P:
also gg with your other characters, gonna do some Shulk dittos next time, prepare to really feel it!

also do you mind if I record those matches and upload them on youtube? those were pretty good games and deserve a spotlight huehue

Go ahead. I wanna look them over myself.

Hey guys, anyone here main Pikachu? I really want to play you sometime soon to get used to the matchup, just got beat by a Pika main in an online tourney! ><;;; At least I messed up some Yoshis...

TWILT

Banned
Hey guys, anyone here main Pikachu? I really want to play you sometime soon to get used to the matchup, just got beat by a Pika main in an online tourney! ><;;; At least I messed up some Yoshis...

Umm, is subbing Pikachu enough? I mostly pull him out for Shulk/Link's bad matchups (which...is more often than you'd think lol).

Umm, is subbing Pikachu enough? I mostly just pull him out for Shulk/Link's bad matchups (which...is more often than you'd think lol).

I don't know, but I think any Pikachu is good enough! Plus I haven't fought any of your guys with my mains, lol.

EDIT: Also Twilty pls Hitomi is best girl why do you disgrace yourself with that avatar? #Kappa

TWILT

Banned
I don't know, but I think any Pikachu is good enough! Plus I haven't fought any of your guys with my mains, lol.
Aight, just let me know when you wanna play (well, obviously not NOW since I gotta sleep, but y'know). I wanna give my Pikachu more of a proper workout sometime anyway. :p Oh and

EDIT: Also Twilty pls Hitomi is best girl why do you disgrace yourself with that avatar? #Kappa

Don't you dare talk shit about my waifu, bruh :mad:
Hitomi's like 3rd place for me though lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone around who's capable to help me out with a connection test before the ranbats s2 starts?

Don' expext much of a fight though, I'm rubbish

Cronox

Banned
Pint night. Can't sleep. Too drunk. Down to smash.

Id: HappySquid

Is this still the appropriate thread for match ups?

Yes it is. Though I'm not your guy tonight, I just got off a couple hours of for glory matches.

On a different note, guys, what the fuck? I've been playing Jigglypuff tonight and I'm fucking wrecking house over here. Like, people getting mad and leaving after a few games, wall of paining people all the way to the blast zone, generally I win the match before hitting 40% on my 2nd stock. And while I've gotten much better at the aerial spacing game, I don't have many rest setups I'm confident in so most of my matches are won without using it. I feel like Jiggs is the ultimate mindgame character in FG, I see people throwing out desperate shit all the time by their second stock, many times I've had people SD because they were so intent on killing me. I usually get past 130% on my first stock before dying, which speaks to my spacing game I suppose. Funnily enough, I had nearly 3 people in a row decide to use Samus after getting wrecked with their first character... turns out a slow, projectile oriented character isn't so great against a small puffball who's in your space all the time - I don't know what they were thinking.

Anyway, to get to my point, at some point I decided to switch to Bowser against a Shiek I was wrecking. 0-20% on second stock when I'd win. I switch to Bowser and suddenly I'm in a way worse position, ending matches somewhere around 100% on my last stock. Not quite "clutching it out" territory, but I felt much less safe in what I was doing. This sucks. I love Bowser, but after working on him all this time I'm getting better results (admittedly with a very small sample of matches) with a character I've probably played seriously for 10 hours. Why do I like mid-tier characters? What is wrong with me? Why are the most satisfying characters to play lingering in the "probably not tourney viable" category? Both these characters are terrible against Sonic, probably Rob and probably other high tier characters.

Ugh.

/livejournal

kitsuneyo

Games & More > Solo > Stadium > Target Blast

Watch the How to Play video, play the Stadium modes, check out Classic, try to beat all the events, play some matches online in "For Fun," play some people on here, go through the challenge board doing the things the challenge board says.

Wow I really am dumb not to be able to find that!

Yes it is. Though I'm not your guy tonight, I just got off a couple hours of for glory matches.

On a different note, guys, what the fuck? I've been playing Jigglypuff tonight and I'm fucking wrecking house over here. Like, people getting mad and leaving after a few games, wall of paining people all the way to the blast zone, generally I win the match before hitting 40% on my 2nd stock. And while I've gotten much better at the aerial spacing game, I don't have many rest setups I'm confident in so most of my matches are won without using it. I feel like Jiggs is the ultimate mindgame character in FG, I see people throwing out desperate shit all the time by their second stock, many times I've had people SD because they were so intent on killing me. I usually get past 130% on my first stock before dying, which speaks to my spacing game I suppose. Funnily enough, I had nearly 3 people in a row decide to use Samus after getting wrecked with their first character... turns out a slow, projectile oriented character isn't so great against a small puffball who's in your space all the time - I don't know what they were thinking.

Anyway, to get to my point, at some point I decided to switch to Bowser against a Shiek I was wrecking. 0-20% on second stock when I'd win. I switch to Bowser and suddenly I'm in a way worse position, ending matches somewhere around 100% on my last stock. Not quite "clutching it out" territory, but I felt much less safe in what I was doing. This sucks. I love Bowser, but after working on him all this time I'm getting better results (admittedly with a very small sample of matches) with a character I've probably played seriously for 10 hours. Why do I like mid-tier characters? What is wrong with me? Why are the most satisfying characters to play lingering in the "probably not tourney viable" category? Both these characters are terrible against Sonic, probably Rob and probably other high tier characters.

Ugh.

/livejournal
The game is as much about matchup knowledge as anything else. If your Shiek opponent knows the Bowser matchup better than Jiggs, then it isn't necessarily a reflection of your Jiggs vs. Bowser skills.

This Japanese DLC poll is interesting

Lucas is the most wanted DLC character, with Wolf right behind.
Nobody wants Squirtle or Ivysaur back or even mentioned them at all.
K Rool is the only new comer who beat a veteran. Even Pichu is wanted more than any other new comer except K Rool.
Roy and Snake (and Ice Climbers) are tied, which is what everyone has been saying, that Roy is a popular Smash character and should return, but nobody listens.
All these years later and Geno is still requested.

I think the results would be somewhat similar in the US, except switch Wolf and Lucas and move Ridley up way higher. And I think some of the Japenese only characters would be replaced with the likes of Dark Samus in the US.

Either way, I think either Wolf or Lucas (or both) will be DLC. Possibly even Roy.

I also think the right hand side has a lot of the characters we should expect next game. Waddle Dee, Paper Mario and Dixie especially.

K Rool is the only new comer who beat a veteran. Even Pichu is wanted more than any other new comer except K Rool.
Roy and Snake (and Ice Climbers) are tied, which is what everyone has been saying, that Roy is a popular Smash character and should return, but nobody listens.

I think the results would be somewhat similar in the US, except switch Wolf and Lucas and move Ridley up way higher. And I think some of the Japenese only characters would be replaced with the likes of Dark Samus in the US.

Either way, I think either Wolf or Lucas (or both) will be DLC. Possibly even Roy.

I also think the right hand side has a lot of the characters we should expect next game. Waddle Dee, Paper Mario and Dixie especially.
In Japan, Krystal > Ridley.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Huh, some stage hazards seem to have been removed from All-Star mode. It's like the stages act like their 8-player versions. Can't break Luigi's Mansion, lava doesn't rise in Norfair, etc.

I haven't been saddled with the Gamer stage at all yet since I started playing again either, but I might just be lucky.

-Bowser
-Shulk
-Little Mac
-Pikachu
-Captain Falcon
-Megaman
-Lucina

&

-Ness
-Olimar
-Marth
-Ike
-Link
-Luigi

Captain Falcon & Ness, Bowser & Luigi

Huh, some stage hazards seem to have been removed from All-Star mode. It's like the stages act like their 8-player versions. Can't break Luigi's Mansion, lava doesn't rise in Norfair, etc.

I haven't been saddled with the Gamer stage at all yet since I started playing again either, but I might just be lucky.

Yeah, they did that 3 weeks ago-ish. Gamer's still there last I checked.

This seriously makes me think a stage hazard toggle is being worked on. It's just too much of a coincidence that these stages start losing their hazards after this feature becomes highly requested. The 8 player Smash aspect may have just been an excuse to ship them early.
Pokemon Stadium 2 tipped me off to this, because if Temple can run 8 players, why can't Pokemon Stadium 2 transform. Cut the background Pokemon, but stage transformation wouldn't be any different than other 8 Man stages that do far more.

SoldnerKei

a toggle for Megaman stage would be awesome, I like the random platforms on the stage, but I hate that Yellow Devil always comes out, a toggle to remove YD would be great imo

same goes for ridley, not like the platforms on that stage change it that much, but it's something for some characters

on other note, here's a set between TWILT & me, Link dittos with customs ftw
expect a few online shenanigans lol

any feedback is appreciated!

a toggle for Megaman stage would be awesome, I like the random platforms on the stage, but I hate that Yellow Devil always comes out, a toggle to remove YD would be great imo

same goes for ridley, not like the platforms on that stage change it that much, but it's something for some characters

on other note, here's a set between TWILT & me, Link dittos with customs ftw
expect a few online shenanigans lol

any feedback is appreciated!

Wow, my Zora tunic Link has much to learn. Some nice down tilts, meteor bomb play and grab work there!

Tripon

lol, I remember seeing some reddit posts that said even the Japanese wants King K. Rool to be in Smash Bros, and using this poll to prove it.

The idea of (another) Roy coming back is laughable.

I don't really think it is. He was planned to return in Brawl and if they treat him like he was from Brawl, with several changes to his moves like Falco, Ganondorf and Young Link got, he would work great as a character.

He's moderately popular, a veteran and can easily share an animation skeleton with Marth, so it's not ridiculous to think he'd have a chance of returning. Roy Koopa can just be renamed to Roy Koopa, so that's not much of an issue.

Ryce

That Japanese "DLC poll" is just someone looking through Twitter for mentions of Smash Bros. DLC. It's completely impractical and unscientific.

So my roommate has a Wii U and Smash Wii U, where should I start if I want to start getting better at the game?

Play the game, simple. Just get a feel for how things work, and pick whoever you want until you find someone that you like using. Then get started on learning your character's tools inside and out, and feel free to play any single-player modes in the meantime as well.

Don't practice against lv. 9 CPU, you're better with 1, 3, or 7.

why is crash bandicoot on here

In Japan, Krystal > Ridley.

I don't even want ridley but just

why

Cedric

Oh, is that an official poll made by Nintendo? If so that's pretty cool that they're interested in knowing what the fans want for DLC.

Ryce

Oh, is that an official poll made by Nintendo? If so that's pretty cool that they're interested in knowing what the fans want for DLC.
Nah, someone just went on Twitter and searched "Smash Bros. DLC" in Japanese and made a note of individual character mentions... or something to that extent. You can't gauge anything useful out of that approach. It's like going through this thread, writing down all of the names mentioned as potential DLC, and presenting the findings as "Western DLC poll." It's meaningless.

Cedric

Nah, someone just went on Twitter and searched "Smash Bros. DLC" in Japanese and made a note of individual character mentions... or something to that extent. You can't gauge anything useful out of that approach.

I see, I thought it was like those polls they had in Japan before Melee and Brawl came out (don't remember if they did the same for Smash 4). Unless those weren't official polls either.

Village

Put me on the I want krystal in this game over ridley team. I don't want character who's inclusion kind of ruins the idea of the character

DooD1234

I don't really think it is. He was planned to return in Brawl and if they treat him like he was from Brawl, with several changes to his moves like Falco, Ganondorf and Young Link got, he would work great as a character.

He's moderately popular, a veteran and can easily share an animation skeleton with Marth, so it's not ridiculous to think he'd have a chance of returning. Roy Koopa can just be renamed to Roy Koopa, so that's not much of an issue.
Moderately popular? Last I check the Fire Emblem fan base hates him for being a weak ass Lord and a boring character.

Puflwiz

Banned
Guys... what just happened. I was doing crazy orders and Crazy Hand did that attack where he rips the stage and creates a black hole and I'm now stuck behind the stage.
tumblr_njzj8lYmnz1rd8x3eo4_1280.jpg

I can't do anything and I don't want to lose my stuff/waste that ticket I used. What the hell.

Teknoman

Btw, does GAF have Smash nights or something for online? I've been wanting to get some more 3-4p free for alls in or some 1 v 1 lately.

Also spectate gambling is addictive!

That's a really shitty glitch, Puffwhiz! I dunno if there's a fix for that. :(

Put me on the I want krystal in this game over ridley team. I don't want character who's inclusion kind of ruins the idea of the character

I'd normally agree about Ridley, but Krystal is such a lame character for me that I'd rather Sakurai figure out how to work out Ridley than put her in.

Top Bottom