• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Cronox

Banned
The game is as much about matchup knowledge as anything else. If your Shiek opponent knows the Bowser matchup better than Jiggs, then it isn't necessarily a reflection of your Jiggs vs. Bowser skills.

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't necessarily expect FG players to have much experience with either character, but Bowser fits into the archetype of "big and heavy" so people at least know that they can get combos in like any other heavy character. Jigglypuff is kind of in its own category, there's no other character that has control/speed in the air like Jiggs does. She(?) generally attacks from a diagonal direction that many characters don't have a good answer to, is very hard to combo, can DI out of jab combos, multi-hit smashes etc. I think people are more thrown by that than by Bowser's moves.

Still kills me that both these characters share weaknesses to certain MUs. I've been thinking about spending a little time with Falco lately... I just feel like I've got to have a character counter-pick for certain MUs. It can be really discouraging to spend a whole match getting tossed around as Bowser or being too slow to chase a fast character as Jigglypuff.

As an aside, until you brought up that Bowser's reverse up b doesn't snap to the ledge, I didn't notice it that much. Since then though, I've gotten really annoyed with that mechanic. In any match I play, I usually get punished at least once because of it, and sometimes that punish takes a stock. Or I try to spin on the edge waiting for the snap to happen and end up slightly too low as the animation finishes and SD. When I see Bowsers on streams they get punished hard at least once a match for it too. Why, Sakurai?

Btw, does GAF have Smash nights or something for online? I've been wanting to get some more 3-4p free for alls in or some 1 v 1 lately.

Also spectate gambling is addictive!
We have the ranbats. Other than that, it's just finding matches when folks are on.

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't necessarily expect FG players to have much experience with either character, but Bowser fits into the archetype of "big and heavy" so people at least know that they can get combos in like any other heavy character. Jigglypuff is kind of in its own category, there's no other character that has control/speed in the air like Jiggs does. She(?) generally attacks from a diagonal direction that many characters don't have a good answer to, is very hard to combo, can DI out of jab combos, multi-hit smashes etc. I think people are more thrown by that than by Bowser's moves.

Still kills me that both these characters share weaknesses to certain MUs. I've been thinking about spending a little time with Falco lately... I just feel like I've got to have a character counter-pick for certain MUs. It can be really discouraging to spend a whole match getting tossed around as Bowser or being too slow to chase a fast character as Jigglypuff.

As an aside, until you brought up that Bowser's reverse up b doesn't snap to the ledge, I didn't notice it that much. Since then though, I've gotten really annoyed with that mechanic. In any match I play, I usually get punished at least once because of it, and sometimes that punish takes a stock. Or I try to spin on the edge waiting for the snap to happen and end up slightly too low as the animation finishes and SD. When I see Bowsers on streams they get punished hard at least once a match for it too. Why, Sakurai?
Yeah, the non-B-reversal punishes really suck. I also SD sometimes because I am trying to spin "just right" so that I minimize my exposure. It's the most annoying way to die, and the #1 reason I'm considering swapping to Mewtwo when he releases.

Re: Jigglypuff. I consider Painwheel from Skullgirls to be the most similar character to her. She's still unique, though.

I would say that until you build up the knowledge needed to at least hold your own in these MUs against players of equivalent skill, then changing characters isn't going to do much to help you. You may have more options, but it's about creating the opportunity to use your options and limit your opponent's, no matter the character. Does that make sense?

Teknoman

We have the ranbats. Other than that, it's just finding matches when folks are on.

Yeah, the non-B-reversal punishes really suck. I also SD sometimes because I am trying to spin "just right" so that I minimize my exposure. It's the most annoying way to die, and the #1 reason I'm considering swapping to Mewtwo when he releases.

Re: Jigglypuff. I consider Painwheel from Skullgirls to be the most similar character to her. She's still unique, though.

I saw some mentions of ranbats in the fighting thread too. That stand for random battles or something else? Or is there a thread where I can find out more?

On that note: NNID: Teknoman for people who havent messed with the list in awhile.

I saw some mentions of ranbats in the fighting thread too. That stand for random battles or something else? Or is there a thread where I can find out more?

On that note: NNID: Teknoman for people who havent messed with the list in awhile.
Second post of this thread has info about the ranbats.

Any good Marth guides out there? Like a video that goes over all of his moves and when you should use them and what not?
Short hop f-air, down tilt. Then tip the tip. I dabble in Lucina a little not an expert, but I spam those moves a lot! But I don't gots the tippers.
guys help me

how do i style with falcon

I press b but all it does is frighten my enemies, I wish to style along with intimidation.
RIP Ike..

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Nabster! Sorry for some of the silly stuff I was doing; I mostly wanted to play now to test out some custom move stuff. Some of those specials are pretty ridiculous, heh.

Nabster92

Oof, you kept that? That's embarrassing to re-watch.

(Had no idea at the time how little you could do to interrupt all those uairs strings, other than air-dodging.)

Hey, keep the replays where I don't get wrecked too! :p

Haha, I left out who it was in the video to spare you that at least. You didn't have to out yourself!

Any good Marth guides out there? Like a video that goes over all of his moves and when you should use them and what not?

There's surprisingly several of us here that play Marth that could play with you and help you learn some stuff, myself included. As far as videos of people that play him at a relatively high level...Mr. E perhaps? Dunno if any of the other top Marth players stuck with him in Smash 4.

GGs, Nabster! Sorry for some of the silly stuff I was doing; I mostly wanted to play now to test out some custom move stuff. Some of those specials are pretty ridiculous, heh.

GG's! I still couldn't tell much of a difference between the custom stuff with Sonic aside from him being on fire. It felt like it was worse than the regular one despite there being flames though...

Glad I was able to remember to use Luma Warp at least one time that actually resulted in a kill.

Jims

Haha, I left out who it was in the video to spare you that at least. You didn't have to out yourself!

Eh, I don't mind. I played so dumb that round, I deserve it. (Trying to nair over that charged fsmash? WTF?) I remember that was the first round you went Falcon after a whole bunch of Rosalinas, so my brain couldn't internalize the switch and got bum-rushed so hard.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Cyberman! I had no idea Rosalina could use Pikachu's Thunder against him like that :p Gotta think twice about going for Thunder spikes now...

Fun games as usual; you're great with all your characters, especially Sonic.

GGs Cyberman! I had no idea Rosalina could use Pikachu's Thunder against him like that :p Gotta think twice about going for Thunder spikes now...

Fun games as usual; you're great with all your characters, especially Sonic.
GGs! I actually had no idea it could do that either, just thought it would suck up the Thunder. I had to save that replay, haha.

And, thanks! I've been working a lot on WFT and finding him a lot of fun. I dunno how he could beat a good Shulk like yours, though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody want to play a few for fun in about half an hour? I mainly want to get feedback on my connection before ranbats start up again

FSLink

Banned
I signed up for the ranbats this time around. I played some of you guys already, and despite being in Hawaii the connections weren't too terrible (I use a LAN adapter and a fast connection).

I can't get over how brain dead sonic is in this game. Ughhhawdwahduhwa

tumblr_lvz582gL6V1qgbzcro1_500.gif

Blarg

Neo Member
Jigglypuff is better than people expect. I've been winning a lot with her lately. It helps that she isn't used much so they don't know the matchup well.

Tesseract

Banned
we still on 1.02, no lobbies, tournies, mewtwo?

guessing that shit will be announced at evo, among other things.

btw, is the mayflash gc adapter good?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
we still on 1.02, no lobbies, tournies, mewtwo?

guessing that shit will be announced at evo, among other things.

btw, is the mayflash gc adapter good?

The new wired one works like a charm, very happy with it

ngower

I have a tournament in two hours and I'm nowhere good enough to even be *bad* at the tourney. Can someone give me a few rounds to try and get my game up?

Top Bottom