• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

ngower

Ah alright. I have a room up

Thanks for the rounds! Gotta head out shortly. Probably going to get wrecked, but hoping there are a few stations where I can practice in between rounds. Think I've decided that as much as I love Ness, I'm just not good enough with him yet. Zero Suit is my homegirl.

Puruzi

Banned
Do you play Ness or ZSS more? You need to grab a whole lot more, and you shouldn't do dash attacks that much because they're really unsafe. Also, don't randomly do forward smashes, because anyone can run up and shield it for a free smash or grab. GGs though, with some practice you could become much better.

Oh you're gonna stick with ZSS, alright.

ngower

Do you play Ness or ZSS more? You need to grab a whole lot more, and you shouldn't do dash attacks that much because they're really unsafe. Also, don't randomly do forward smashes, because anyone can run up and shield it for a free smash or grab. GGs though, with some practice you could become much better.

Oh you're gonna stick with ZSS, alright.

Yeah, at least with ZSS I can recover from mistakes faster. I know grabs are something I need to get down, but I just can't figure out the timing quite yet. I'm sure you picked up on it, but I was trying to do a down-grab into smash with Ness (the go-to move) a few times, but just can't get the timing down yet.

Hoping that, at the very least, some people at this tourney will notice how terrible I am and the Smash community's reputation I've heard so much about comes in clutch, i.e. people will pick me up and help me out.

Sup guys.

So when are we gonna have another GAF tourney? I think it would be fun to get NeoGAF in on another round of single-elim possibly custom-filled battles to be crowned Smash Champ. :)

SoldnerKei

Sup guys.

So when are we gonna have another GAF tourney? I think it would be fun to get NeoGAF in on another round of single-elim possibly custom-filled battles to be crowned Smash Champ. :)

I wonder how a doubles tourney would go in GAF too... like, who would everybody pick from SmashGAF to be their partner~

I wonder how a doubles tourney would go in GAF too... like, who would everybody pick from SmashGAF to be their partner~
I wonder if anyone needs spacies/Dark Blue Sword Kirby as a partner. :3
Shamrock or Nabster confirmed.
I can make Nabster work for the match a lot of the time, the guy has solid fundamentals for sure but Rosie is not perfect. It's that fucker Luma with his bitch ass knockback. D:<

Shamrock makes me work to take even one stock off him, fuck man. ;__;

Puruzi

Banned
I wonder if anyone needs spacies/Dark Blue Sword Kirby as a partner. :3

I can make Nabster work for the match a lot of the time, the guy has solid fundamentals for sure but Rosie is not perfect. It's that fucker Luma with his bitch ass knockback. D:<

Shamrock makes me work to take even one stock off him, fuck man. ;__;

Fuck Luma. I hate that asshole :C

ngower

Just got back from the tourney. To be honest, it was a bit poorly organized. I tried to get the organizer to get some names for an e-mail list or a facebook group or something, but he was pretty hesitant—like...he just didn't seem to have perspective that it's not gonna be easy to get this many people into a room again.

Either way, I got 2nd in my qualifier (8 player smash...which was weird) and then 4th (of 4) in my actual round. The brackets were kinda stupid, but oh well. I never had delusions of winning, but I figured the tournament would at least have a losers bracket or some screens for fun...nope, just the one.

There's a tournament next weekend I might try to go to and play casually (no way I'm entering a paid tourney yet).

Regardless, it was a boost of confidence. I'm not nearly as bad as I thought I was, but still far from competitive. Gonna play for an hour or so tonight if anyone's interested. Preferably on my skill level, but either way just wanna get some games in.

Took me several hours, but I ended up getting my main characters' customs at last. I feel like Trophy Rush really is the best way to do it.

Anyone want to play? Customs or no customs, either one is fine with me.

FSLink

Banned
That Crash leak is the best.

Also:

https://twitter.com/ZeRoSSB/status/568610655340593152

ZeRo
&#8207;@ZeRoSSB
Everyone should start obtaining customs RIGHT now. Tournaments are making it a standard pretty much now, I know so. GET READY FOR EVO.

Also notable about the EVO Smash rules:
Starter stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Town & City
Counter-pick stages: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd

Here's a topic of discussion for y'all!

EVO is currently planning to stick with custom moves being allowed, meaning we'll get to see some shenanigans. However, you won't be able to create movesets at the tourney. Rather, you'll choose from a predefined list of sets decided upon by the community as the best combinations for that character.

My questions are thus: do you think keeping movesets somewhat static could be beneficial? Why or why not? As well, are there certain custom moves that could warrant a ban in a 1v1 tourney? Finally, do you think Zero, king of the hoo ha, will remain dominant in a custom move meta, or will we see more "mid-tier" characters in top 16 and top 8?

FSLink

Banned
1v1 anyone?

Here's a topic of discussion for y'all!

EVO is currently planning to stick with custom moves being allowed, meaning we'll get to see some shenanigans. However, you won't be able to create movesets at the tourney. Rather, you'll choose from a predefined list of sets decided upon by the community as the best combinations for that character.

My questions are thus: do you think keeping movesets somewhat static could be beneficial? Why or why not? As well, are there certain custom moves that could warrant a ban in a 1v1 tourney? Finally, do you think Zero, king of the hoo ha, will remain dominant in a custom move meta, or will we see more "mid-tier" characters in top 16 and top 8?

It's due to time. The common sets are what most people use anyway. There aren't any custom moves that could warrant a ban minus maybe Olimar's one against Fox only

Diddy Kong is still a top tier character with customs on, it just buffs the low-mid tier some more. He does have an interesting Battering Banana custom that I expect to see some usage. Puts Luma into tumble, makes Diddy Kong lose dthrow->uair/fair/bair but instead he gets a guaranteed aerial attack instead of a grab. It also allows him to combo into uair at higher percents.

I'm looking forward to people seeing the power of DK, Wii Fit Trainer, Ike, Palutena, and Ganondorf with customs.

FSLink

Banned
Anyone have tips for dealing with Kong Cyclone?

Run if he uses it on the ground, I usually try to fake pivoting, and instead just run (DK's like to punish any bad pivots with dtilt or Kong Cyclone or downB). Kong Cyclone has a lot of end lag.

Don't contest it in the air, nothing will beat it. Try to counterpick to a stage with less platforms.

All in all, take advantage of the fact that DK's a slow character, Kong Cyclone is only relatively safe when you can platform cancel it, and even then if you're close enough, you can get a grab or a dash attack off a failed attempt.

By this Sunday, everyone in the ranbats should have their matches finished. Right now, we are waiting on the following people to finish their last matches:
BRACKET 2:
SteveYoungBlood
Falawful
InvincibleAgent
SalvaPot
JagsRock

BRACKET 5:
JoeInky
AnkiRendan
TruSpindash
JCX

Not really pleased with the whole customs thing, primarily because they are a total chore to unlock. But maybe good for trying to fix the characters who keep getting screwed over.
It is pretty easy to unlock them for the handful of characters you use.

Plus, Smash Tour Method.

Boney

Banned
So seeing we're in the whole custom move craze, which characters benefit the most out of them?

Not gonna bother trying to unlock Bowser's which apparently suck but I might get them for a few characters I don't use if they open enough possibilities

emb

So seeing we're in the whole custom move craze, which characters benefit the most out of them?

Not gonna bother trying to unlock Bowser's which apparently suck but I might get them for a few characters I don't use if they open enough possibilities
Palutena probably benefits the most. Link with meteor bombs sounds cool too though.

I don't know much about who has what, but I know that none of Sheik's seem especially useful at first glance. Maybe penetrating needles for characters that like to block those (Rosa, Villager). Maybe the faster grenade. Even those seem gimmicky at best though.

J@hranimo

Banned

Of course the goddess. Some other characters that I believe heavily benefit from them are Dr. Mario, Pikachu, Kirby, Ganondorf, DK, Link, and Fox. I fully expect to see a Kirby in at least Top 16.

Vena

A lot of the low midtiers, heavies, and Palu are known for gaining considerably from the customs as they open up a lot of new options.

JCX

By this Sunday, everyone in the ranbats should have their matches finished. Right now, we are waiting on the following people to finish their last matches:
BRACKET 2:
SteveYoungBlood
Falawful
InvincibleAgent
SalvaPot
JagsRock

BRACKET 5:
JoeInky
AnkiRendan
TruSpindash
JCX

Plus, Smash Tour Method.

Oh, I thought I had done my last one already. I'll PM whoever I haven't played yet today.

If customs are standard, is there an easy way to farm the moves?

BRACKET 2:
SteveYoungBlood
Falawful
InvincibleAgent
SalvaPot
JagsRock

BRACKET 5:
JoeInky
AnkiRendan
TruSpindash
JCX

Plus, Smash Tour Method.

Ah, about that...I messaged JoeInky and he said he's done with Smash 4, sooo...technically I'm finished. :s

Valus

Run if he uses it on the ground, I usually try to fake pivoting, and instead just run (DK's like to punish any bad pivots with dtilt or Kong Cyclone or downB). Kong Cyclone has a lot of end lag.

Don't contest it in the air, nothing will beat it. Try to counterpick to a stage with less platforms.

All in all, take advantage of the fact that DK's a slow character, Kong Cyclone is only relatively safe when you can platform cancel it, and even then if you're close enough, you can get a grab or a dash attack off a failed attempt.

You can stomp spike DK out of his up B from above with Falcon/Ganon/etc

Oh, I thought I had done my last one already. I'll PM whoever I haven't played yet today.

If customs are standard, is there an easy way to farm the moves?

Karsticles seems to refer to a "Smash Tour Method."

I just gain them gradually through Classic, etc...
1) Turn on Smash Tour.
2) AFK for 30 minutes.
3 Collect rewards!

Ah, about that...I messaged JoeInky and he said he's done with Smash 4, sooo...technically I'm finished. :s
Thanks for letting me know so I don't ban you both. :) Can you screenshot the PM conversation for evidence?

Puruzi

Banned
Smash Tour will literally play itself, so you could set it up, go do something for 30 minutes, and come back to a results screen of goodies.

I recommend Netflix while you wait.

035HuXm.jpg

Anime time.

Would Smash Tour require literally no human input while it finishes?

I'm looking forward to people seeing the power of DK, Wii Fit Trainer, Ike, Palutena, and Ganondorf with customs.

I look forward to a custom Shulk the most just to see the reactions to the combination of smash Hyper Monado Arts and Power Vision catching people unaware and people screaming to ban it lol

Beats

Would Smash Tour require literally no human input while it finishes?

I look forward to a custom Shulk the most just to see the reactions to the combination of smash Hyper Monado Arts and Power Vision catching people unaware and people screaming to ban it lol

You have to start Target Blast and Homerun contest when they pop up in Smash Tour. They don't happen that often though.

I decided to buy the Powersave on Amazon to get the customs a lot easier. I just want to get them all ASAP. :p

Also have a local tourney tomorrow, hopefully I do fine. There should be a stream of it as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm not really surprised with that since he always trashing smash 4 when he had a chance to. I guess he was expecting Smash 4 to be like Melee in a sense., if I remember his change list correctly.

Top Bottom