• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

What happened? That was a good match!

GG!

Playing real people is way better than for glory!

Ah, lame. Yeah it was impossible to tech forward b haha. Don't know much about friend's Internet. :(
Ah, I understand. Give me a shout when you are at home and we will try again. It was a fun match.

Remind me to main Ike when customs are on.

Hmm, should I do the salty runback...? Nah. GGs DQ, you won that one bud. Forgot Lucina's uthrow could kill, and got too thirsty for the kill. Guess it shows I haven't been playing Ike recently, I so needed Eruption. ><;;;

Oh yeah, before I forget, counter my Aether recovery DQ. Part of why Ike gets fucked over trying to recover vertically against certain characters. ><;;;;;;

Remind me to main Ike when customs are on.

Hmm, should I do the salty runback...? Nah. GGs DQ, you won that one bud. Forgot Lucina's uthrow could kill, and got too thirsty for the kill. Guess it shows I haven't been playing Ike recently, I so needed Eruption. ><;;;
GGs, I enjoyed our matches.. except for that neutral B move griefed my recovery.. I wonder if that works so well on people who have good recoveries.. But yah Ike is pretty scary in rage, so I played it pretty safe at the end..

Daouzin

Thanks for the matches SolarKnight!

Good Games!

I got challenged on Twitter so I wanted to check them out.

Ggs

God I killed myself with my uB much more than I would've wanted to :|

Yeah, I figured you were adjusting, I'm at a friends place so I don't have any custom moves here. :(

GGs Twilt. I can see why your Pikachu and Shulk get a lot of compliments. How do you control the Quick Attack so well? I have wanted to use Pikachu like that since release.

Room up if anyone wants to play.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Twilt. I can see why your Pikachu and Shulk get a lot of compliments. How do you control the Quick Attack so well? I have wanted to use Pikachu like that since release.

GGs Karst! And thanks; facing a good Bowser's quite scary. Sometimes when I try to bait the air dodge cancel into Fortress, I forget that you can also go for your side B command grab haha.

As for Quick Attack, it's a lot of practice and watching Pikachu (Esam in particular) vids really. I always like going for forward > forward diagonal for shield pressure or forward > backwards diagonal for hit and run. I still need more practice (as seen from that embarrassing SD in one of those matches...), but it's a lot of fun to move around with Pikachu like that, though I'm assuming it's not as fun actually fighting against it lol.

GGs Karst! And thanks; facing a good Bowser's quite scary. Sometimes when I try to bait the air dodge cancel into Fortress, I forget that you can also go for your side B command grab haha.

As for Quick Attack, it's a lot of practice and watching Pikachu (Esam in particular) vids really. I always like going for forward > forward diagonal for shield pressure or forward > backwards diagonal for hit and run. I still need more practice (as seen from that embarrassing SD in one of those matches...), but it's a lot of fun to move around with Pikachu like that, though I'm assuming it's not as fun actually fighting against it lol.
The Quick Attack stuff doesn't bother me because I know that if I time it right, I can hit him out of it. So I just place it on me to learn that timing. Plus it has significant startup, so I know I need to stay aggressive against Pikachu.

If you see the SHAD, just attack Bowser right as he lands. There is a moment where he has no invincibility and his move hasn't activated yet. Or back off, because if he doesn't cancel into anything he lags on landing, and if he does, it isn't safe. It is actually a pretty high risk maneuver. Which is Bowser's #1 problem: everything is high risk.

Speed Shulk is Sonic levels of scary. Sometimes I get grabbed before I can even react to you moving, haha.

Edit: 500 For Glory battles get!

Cronox

Banned
So I finally unlocked dash slash for Bowser, it was the last Bowser move I unlocked IIRC...

My first impressions were that I don't like giving up the normal side b. I probably get a little under half of my kills off of the guaranteed killing factor of that side b, especially when an opponent is high percentage and starting to play defensive. But really, I should probably get used to using Bowser's normal forward/back throws as killing moves, sometimes I use the normal side b in situations where a back throw would kill, but the side b doesn't.

Anyway, I took it into training mode, and I really like the potential mixups it allows. First of all, it gives Bowser another ground canceled approach option along with the short hop air dodge cancel, and unlike that option, it's much safer to attempt a crossup with. There's also good potential for catching things like people tripping out of fortress. Normally Bowser doesn't have the speed to do anything when people trip out of the end of fortress (people DI'ing away, anyhow), with dash slash at least you can tack on 8% extra... I'll need to spend more time with it. At best I think it's a situational custom... Bowser doesn't need it for most characters. But for characters that have a decent projectile game like R.O.B.... maybe even Diddy, dash slash could be useful for getting in quickly...

I also tested the projectile neutral b custom... whatever it's called. Fireball? Something like that. Its property is that it goes through other projectiles, but it doesn't clash with them. I know it looks like a garbage move, but after that youtube video I linked back a few pages ago I really wanted it to be worth something. Well... it's not that great. Because it goes through projectiles, it'll still hit through Link's bomb or arrow, but because it's 4% damage it's a poor trade if you get hit by their projectile too. It's also a problem that it's nice and all to give Bowser a projectile, but there's nothing he can do to capitalize on it. Bowser needs to be up close, and the projectile doesn't help with that. Startup/ending lag is pretty bad as we know.

I may have found a followup for it though - if you throw out one fireball that hits and use dash slash right after, that may be close to a guaranteed followup. The fireball sends characters slightly off the ground, enough that Bowser can hit them before they can shield again. Maybe it doesn't work against humans though. They can use their second jump to jump over the DS, but it's possible that that's the only option available to them. I only tested against a Link in training so this idea could be all wrong. For what it's worth, I also noticed that the fireball can be angled slightly, making it a projectile that won't hit Link's hylian shield if you angle it down.

So I cracked and finally bought a Nintendo console. Haven't played one since the Nintendo 64 years ago, when I was just a kid.

Looking forward to trying out Smash Bros and seeing how it compares to the 64 days. Damn I feel old.
Biggest changes are presence of side B moves and ledge stealing, IMO. Also there are some character that are way faster than any in Smash 64.

Wow. I don't even know how to Link.

game is up

and Kars. I don't think I have done that. I will look into it.
I watched a Ness tutorial last night, and it said you can hold shield while using the Psi, and it will cancel into shield after you block.

Also, after finding out Pikachu is too small for SH fairs to connect, and Psi doesn't absorb Link's projectiles, my interest in Ness has fled. :p

I watched a Ness tutorial last night, and it said you can hold shield while using the Psi, and it will cancel into shield after you block.

Also, after finding out Pikachu is too small for SH fairs to connect, and Psi doesn't absorb Link's projectiles, my interest in Ness has fled. :p

it absorb link's bombs

FSLink

Banned
it absorb link's bombs

Yeah, it heals quite a bit too. Makes a lot of For Glory Links hestiate.

Ah, the blue one, I guess it can be useful against some characters

It's not just some characters, it's a straight upgrade. It gives him much needed horizontal recovery, can be comboed from dthrow, can go through projectiles, great KO ability, has less lag than the default, and covers a much needed area for Ganondorf.

Combined with custom upB 2 giving him higher vertical distance you can drop below FD, downB, then double jump upB to the other side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vKv36BdURM

I consider it one of the best custom moves in the game and really helps make Ganondorf a more complete character.

Amazing, I underestimated that I guess.

Where do you find characters tutorials ? I need one for Ike, Marth and Greninja but I'm completely clueless :/

FSLink

Banned
Amazing, I underestimated that I guess.

Where do you find characters tutorials ? I need one for Ike, Marth and Greninja but I'm completely clueless :/

I don't usually rely on too many Youtube tutorials since over time they can get outdated but:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mysmashcorner

This has a lot of useful information and some character specific tech.

But outside of the occasional video from r/smashbros or something, Smashboards character boards are probably the best resource. Most character forums have matchup threads and some metagame/tech threads.

Hamburger is so beast I can't control him sometimes, lol

Can't wait for the Mii Brawler army once customs are common.

People are gonna be surprised by WFT and Mii Gunner too. :3

Top Bottom