• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

If Robin could run faster, he/she would be too strong. The run limitation is in place to limit what follow-ups can occur off of Arcfire and Arcthunder. Otherwise he/she would always get free grabs from both moves. Right now, it's just enough blockstun to connect a fair, which is perfect.

Have you checked out Robin's customs? They're pretty friggen good.
Well that is true, but Ness and Megaman both can follow up their projectiles (in block stun) with grabs so I don't see why they wouldn't allow Robin to (and both Ness and Megaman can get more from a grab than Robin).

And I only have 2 of Robin's customs unlocked :/. Fire wall and a nosferatu variant that does more damage or something.

Had to go. Hot damn. You destroyed me yet again. Any tips? I may be going to a tourney here on Saturday. Who did you think was my best?

Fun games GG.
ggs. I think your Link was pretty good, but I think you need to block more and do less safe aerials or something.

Well that is true, but Ness and Megaman both can follow up their projectiles (in block stun) with grabs so I don't see why they wouldn't allow Robin to (and both Ness and Megaman can get more from a grab than Robin).

And I only have 2 of Robin's customs unlocked :/. Fire wall and a nosferatu variant that does more damage or something.
Ness' PK Fire doesn't create a fire pillar if it's blocked. Robin's does.
Ness' PK Fire doesn't create a fire pillar if it whiffs. Robin's does.

Huge difference there.

Megaman's Metal Blade doesn't create enough blockstun to keep the opponent in blockstun during the grab attempt. You can spot dodge or roll right between the last hit of stun and Megaman's grab. It's perfectly avoidable, and Blackmage can back me up on that. I've punished his grab attempt many times by spot dodging it into Fortress. Robin's Arcfire is different; with a higher run speed, the opponent would still be locked down during the throw attempt, making escape impossible.

Also, Megaman's Metal Blade can be grabbed and thrown back at him. I catch about 50% of the Metal Blades Blackmage throws at me, so I get to use its power against him as much as he gets to use it against me. You can't catch Arcfire.

You've oversimplifying what are key differences between characters. Robin's design is very well thought out, IMO. If he/she needed changes, I would not rank "faster movement speed" among them. Maybe startup on Arcfire and charge time to get to Arcthunder/Thoron (solved with customs, though).

SoldnerKei

dunno if this was posted already, Izaw made another Art of Link Video, check it out fellow Link gafers

mostly basic stuff that we already know but it's worth watching for a few things, like the zair drop for going under some stages, thou it's not something really practical it's something I didn't knew, and of course also useful for those who want to learn Link too

Nabster92

It is going to be hard reading posts about how awesome Bracket 1's players are while I hang back in Bracket 2 during Season 2. :-( I need to become more awesome.

Speaking of which, how does seeding work with the ranbats? Will all the top players from each bracket in season 1 be put in the same bracket for season 2 so that each bracket has more similarly skilled players playing against each other?.

Speaking of which, how does seeding work with the ranbats? Will all the top players from each bracket in season 1 be put in the same bracket for season 2 so that each bracket has more similarly skilled players playing against each other?.
It's not an exact science, because some brackets lost half of their players, and others retained them all. I think it's most important that all the best players are grouped together. My basic idea is to take the two highest scores from each bracket and put them together. However, if a bracket had a lot of mixed scores, I might put all of those players in a "middle" bracket, because no one stands out enough to rock the top bracket, and it's doubtful that they're all fantastic.

Ideally, the brackets this season will be smaller, so even if someone is misplaced, they will get to rise/fall a bracket to be more properly placed in short order. However, since I got third in our bracket, I know that I won't be in Bracket 1. There's just no way I would put 3 people from 1 bracket in Bracket 1. So I am undoubtedly going to be in Bracket 2 (or Bracket 3, if I put you in Bracket 1 and FluxWave in Bracket 2). I'll just have to play around with it and see how it looks, since the first season was so messy.

Have you created a preliminary Bracket for Season 2 yet?
I haven't even looked at it. Today, I tabulated all of the sign-up polling results to see where we are in that regard. We're up to 29 people for Season 2, so if I assume 6 people per bracket (30 entries), Bracket 1 will probably be:

Poltergust
Nabster92
FluxWave
NamikazeBurst
Shamrock
Tansut

I had to pull 2 people from 1 bracket, and since FluxWave and Nabster both had the greatest numeric wins (proving consistent excellence), I would put them both in Bracket 1. Cyberman, though he is tied with Poltergust for points, lost to him in the bracket, and had fewer games played overall, so I would probably put him in Bracket 2. That's not necessarily a "fair" decision, but that's what the process will look like. Even if the brackets aren't perfect, they'll be far more balanced than they were in Season 1, and people can still move between seasons.

FluxWaveZ

Nice, I made it to the scary bracket #1. Now to not fraud it out and get kicked out of it real easily.

Anyone want to play 1v1 with customs?

Nice, I made it to the scary bracket #1. Now to not fraud it out and get kicked out of it real easily.

Anyone want to play 1v1 with customs?
Do notice the "probably". I could do 6 brackets of 5 instead of 5 brackets of 6, or we could get to 35 entrants, etc. If there's only 5, you'll be the one cut and moved to Bracket 2, since you're the only person there who didn't get 1st in your bracket last season.

a bunch of stuff

Holy crap, that's a scary looking bracket. D: Makes me wonder who the Bracket 2 "so close" peeps are.

If customs are on though, I have a feeling we'll be seeing more than our fair share of fluctuations, as some people will now have access to options that didn't exist in the previous ranbat "meta," if you will.

Also I need to make some custom sets. ><;;;

Haha, I am the odd one out in that bracket. The only person I think I have played, and remember playing, is Shamrock, so I will essentially be going into it blind xD

FluxWaveZ

Sorry, was called away during that crucial finale. Ugh.

Do notice the "probably". I could do 6 brackets of 5 instead of 5 brackets of 6, or we could get to 35 entrants, etc. If there's only 5, you'll be the one cut and moved to Bracket 2, since you're the only person there who didn't get 1st in your bracket last season.

Ha, it'd actually be pretty comforting to not end up in that bracket 1.

SoldnerKei

bracket 1 looks hella scary lol need to play against all these guys, I always learn stuff whenever I play people better than me

last season was bad for me, I lost most of my matches so I guess I'll end up in bracket 3 or 4, but I'll give my best shot on this one too!

Is anyone up for a 1v1 with Evo rules? My brother and cousing are still up so hopefully they won't affect the connection much...

bracket 1 looks hella scary lol need to play against all these guys, I always learn stuff whenever I play people better than me

last season was bad for me, I lost most of my matches so I guess I'll end up in bracket 3 or 4, but I'll give my best shot on this one too!

Hey at least you won some, I lost all the ones I played and then got stuck with people that didn't show up again :v

Is anyone up for a 1v1 with Evo rules? My brother and cousing are still up so hopefully they won't affect the connection much...

Hey at least you won some, I lost all the ones I played and then got stuck with people that didn't show up again :v
Yeah, sure, I'll play. You can host if you like.

I had to pull 2 people from 1 bracket, and since FluxWave and Nabster both had the greatest numeric wins (proving consistent excellence), I would put them both in Bracket 1. Cyberman, though he is tied with Poltergust for points, lost to him in the bracket, and had fewer games played overall, so I would probably put him in Bracket 2. That's not necessarily a "fair" decision, but that's what the process will look like. Even if the brackets aren't perfect, they'll be far more balanced than they were in Season 1, and people can still move between seasons.
The matches against Poltergust went 4-4, final game, final stock. But, he clutched it out. They were good games though.

Holy crap, that's a scary looking bracket. D: Makes me wonder who the Bracket 2 "so close" peeps are.

If customs are on though, I have a feeling we'll be seeing more than our fair share of fluctuations, as some people will now have access to options that didn't exist in the previous ranbat "meta," if you will.

Also I need to make some custom sets. ><;;;
I need to fill out my custom move sets... I think I'll be bracket 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or my own bracket :D

Top Bottom