• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Just got an email that something had shipped from Club Nintendo. Wasn't sure what it could be.

Until I realized that it's probably the Smash Bros CD. I checked an email from the day I registered the Wii U version and got the CD offer and the order number matches up. So it looks like if you got in on the CD offer, then it's coming very soon.

/r/smashbros is corroborating your statement. I hope I'll be receiving an email soon too.

Everyone, check your inbox!

What is all this bracket talk? Is there a thread tourney?
Check the second post of the thread. I run a GAF ranbat season. If you read it and are interested, let me know and I will dig up the sign-up survey.

/r/smashbros is corroborating your statement. I hope I'll be receiving an email soon too.

Everyone, check your inbox!
I didn't sign up in time.

I'm up for some matches if you'd like. Just got back from my vacations so I haven't been able to get the Ethernet adaptor, but I haven't had many issues with other gaffers if you wanna give it a try.

I'm probably super rusty as well lol

Add me, NNID boney64
I ended up playing Beats. Still want to play?

What is all this bracket talk? Is there a thread tourney?

You can sign up for Season 2 here (quote to reveal the link):

It's Karsticles' ranbats! Basically, after signing up you'll be entered into a random bracket based on whatever Karsticles feels like basing it on, and from there every week you'll be asked to play a someone in your bracket. Try to get the most wins you can so you can move up to the next highest bracket, and face stronger opponents!

There's no shame in losing though, because then you'll either be moved to a lower bracket or stay in your current position, meaning you're more likely to face people of similar skill levels. The thrill of fighting your opponent for that "1" on the results spreadsheet, no matter how trivial it all is (the only thing you get from winning aside from a number higher than 0 is the admiration of your GAF peers), will put your mind on the competitive track needed for victory!

Go ahead and sign up if you want, but be wary that you will have an obligation to play at least one set weekly, and if you fail to do so even after a one-week grace period, you'll be banned for the next season! D:

...um, I kinda like explaining things but yeah the second post in the thread works too.

Kars wanna play?

It's Karsticles' ranbats! Basically, after signing up you'll be entered into a random bracket based on whatever Karsticles feels like basing it on, and from there every week you'll be asked to play a someone in your bracket. Try to get the most wins you can so you can move up to the next highest bracket, and face stronger opponents!

There's no shame in losing though, because then you'll either be moved to a lower bracket or stay in your current position, meaning you're more likely to face people of similar skill levels. The thrill of fighting your opponent for that "1" on the results spreadsheet, no matter how trivial it all is (the only thing you get from winning aside from a number higher than 0 is the admiration of your GAF peers), will put your mind on the competitive track needed for victory!

Go ahead and sign up if you want, but be wary that you will have an obligation to play at least one set weekly, and if you fail to do so even after a one-week grace period, you'll be banned for the next season! D:

...um, I kinda like explaining things but yeah the second post in the thread works too.

Kars wanna play?
Beef just got on, so I am going to play him.

Thanks for the great write-up. :)

Edit: nevermind, Beef's internet is crazy bad for some reason. Hop on.

Boney

Banned

Kars wanna play?
I can play if you're up to :)

Last match, Karsticles.

GGs man, my gamepad's battery is nearly dead and I gotta give it up to the little ones now. :/ Your Bowser scares me, but so do all those fucked up ledges.

LET'S COUNT EM

FUCKING LYLAT CRUISE
FUCKING DELFINO--NO WAIT SKYLOFT TOO
FUCKING HALBERD
even Lylat omega jesus fuck man

Also god damn I love custom moves for falco and ike :D

Last match, Karsticles.
God, why do you want all these shitty stages?

Delfino
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Skyworld

All pure shit. Shit shit shit. You spend half the match doing nothing because of stage transitions, get hit by hazards, or you just get fucked by Lylat tilting slightly.

GGs, but that is incredibly annoying. I wish more people in the ranbats voted to ban them, because they are a really unenjoyable experience.

If you are up for a few in a sec let me know
Sure. I will play whoever comes to the room first.

Last match, Karsticles.

GGs man, my gamepad's battery is nearly dead and I gotta give it up to the little ones now. :/ Your Bowser scares me, but so do all those fucked up ledges.

LET'S COUNT EM

FUCKING LYLAT CRUISE
FUCKING DELFINO--NO WAIT SKYLOFT TOO
FUCKING HALBERD
even Lylat omega jesus fuck man

Also god damn I love custom moves for falco and ike :D
Why are you complaining about stages you selected? -_-

The custom Falco reflector is beast. So is Ike's custom counter. Palutena is still pretty shit with customs, it seems. I wish I had something to gain from them.

Alright, want me to host?
Yeah.

Delfino
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Skyworld

All pure shit. Shit shit shit. You spend half the match doing nothing because of stage transitions, get hit by hazards, or you just get fucked by Lylat tilting slightly.

GGs, but that is incredibly annoying. I wish more people in the ranbats voted to ban them, because they are a really unenjoyable experience.

Well except for Skyworld, they're all tournament-legal stages.

Delfino
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Skyworld

Sure. I will play whoever comes to the room first.

Why are you complaining about stages you selected? -_-

The custom Falco reflector is beast. So is Ike's custom counter. Palutena is still pretty shit with customs, it seems. I wish I had something to gain from them.
I actually chose them because I figured they weren't too bad, but as we played the flaws in them got exposed to me very quickly, and I knew things were really fucked up when, on the transformation stages, we spent half the match camping each other.

Call me naive for sure, but now I'm heavily reconsidering supporting them all. I just don't think stages with transformations work well with the kind of meta Sm4sh has, encouraging defensive play massively over offensive play and overemphasizing using the stage to your advantage over your character's strengths.

The Lylat tilting shit is especially bad because I don't think that was in Brawl, so no doubt the dev team fucked up on that one.

I complain about them because, well, it didn't seem right to me that I could get the win through taking advantage of the stage despite me doing exactly that. I know, I'm being hypocritical, but I think my message is valid all the same.

Also, now that I think about it I don't recall seeing you use custom moves with Bowser. Are they really not good options? :(

Boney

Banned
Anyone still up to play? Karst you still here? Someone was at my neighbor's house so I was keeping and eye and on the phone.
So I was t around for a bit.

GGs Karst. That Gannondorf is pretty beast.

I actually chose them because I figured they weren't too bad, but as we played the flaws in them got exposed to me very quickly, and I knew things were really fucked up when, on the transformation stages, we spent half the match camping each other.

Call me naive for sure, but now I'm heavily reconsidering supporting them all. I just don't think stages with transformations work well with the kind of meta Sm4sh has, encouraging defensive play massively over offensive play and overemphasizing using the stage to your advantage over your character's strengths.

The Lylat tilting shit is especially bad because I don't think that was in Brawl, so no doubt the dev team fucked up on that one.

I complain about them because, well, it didn't seem right to me that I could get the win through taking advantage of the stage despite me doing exactly that. I know, I'm being hypocritical, but I think my message is valid all the same.

Also, now that I think about it I don't recall seeing you use custom moves with Bowser. Are they really not good options? :(

Nah, keep supporting them. They are great stages. They only add to the meta game imo. Well, I personally hate Lylat though.

GGs Shamrock, that was rather disheartening. I can't seem to find a character I am happy playing.

Yeah.

Well except for Skyworld, they're all tournament-legal stages.
Tournaments often have dumb rules.

Like stage counterpicks.

Fair enough.

Browser has one decent custom, and I am not a fan of it. Customs are pretty shit for him.

Anyone still up to play? Karst you still here? Someone was at my neighbor's house so I was keeping and eye and on the phone.
So I was t around for a bit.
Sure, let me add you.

Smashville
Town and City
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat
Skyloft
Halberd
Delfino
Wuhu
Duck Hunt

All great, viable stages. With Smash I think it only helps competitively to have a variety of platform stages from which to take advantage of the unique characteristics of the smash fighting system and physics.

Someone play me. Room is up.

Smashville
Town and City
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat
Skyloft
Halberd
Delfino
Wuhu
Duck Hunt

All great, viable stages. With Smash I think it only helps competitively to have a variety of platform stages from which to take advantage of the unique characteristics of the smash fighting system and physics.
I think hazards and transitions are both bad. Especially when the transitions have ground structures that lead to stand-stills.

Battlefield sucks. Too small, and ugh @ those platforms.

I have, dozens of times. It's never happened to me. I'd need to see some actual proof.
I can't go out of my way to prove it at the moment, but I assure you it does exist.

You'll have to pardon me as I create a replay to demonstrate it.
Smashville
Town and City
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat
Skyloft
Halberd
Delfino
Wuhu
Duck Hunt

I'm content with most of those, though I personally think that Skyloft's and Delfino's transformations affect the game too much, and in Delfino's case I believe the blastzones are moved around. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I like Halberd, but the ship has killed me a few times because I got stuck under the sides. ><;;;

I've already expressed my issue with Lylat.

I've heard that Wuhu is becoming controversial due to its transformations promoting camping. What do you think, Shamrock? I understand certain transformations like the volcano and cruise ship could do this.

Boney

Banned
Alright dude, last game. Gotta sort out my samus custom set, apex screw attack and relentless missile seem the best along with a apex sa and a regular missile.

The fast missiles aren't really worth the trouble and both custom bombs and CS seem pretty useless.

Top Bottom