• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

That a weird reason not to play Robin. If you like how he/she plays you shouldn't let that bother you although male Robin taunt where he says "Let's tip the scale!" Does annoy me though.
I pick my characters 50% on aesthetics, 50% on gameplay. Always have. All of the characters I main in Fighting games fit a specific aesthetic profile.

Hence why I am hoping I like Mewtwo.0!

That's why female Robin is superior.
Yes definitely. Her taunts are way better, while male Robin sounds like he's whispering for some reason..
I pick my characters 50% on aesthetics, 50% on gameplay. Always have. All of the characters I main in Fighting games fit a specific aesthetic profile.

Hence why I am hoping I like Mewtwo.0!
Same metric I use, some percent aesthetics + some percent game play. It's why I will never play skullgirls.

Boney

Banned
Jesus man that rage! Bwahaha got my ass handed to me.
Had never faced a good Rosa before, so much fun although it's juggle time against samus

Uh whatever that means sure. You host I gotta see what this crazy order gets me
it's nothing.gif
Got a room up.
God you almost turned it around with Marth that last match. Was gonna pee my pants

I learned today fighting a good one that you can change your air momentum by doing b reversals in the air, pretty handy!

Also aerials

I don't know shit about Robin lol, so I may as well see what the fuss is about.

lol, Thoron has a fuckload of endlag.

Boney

Banned
Alright man, great games had a ton of fun. You really whooped my ass bad, your aggressive edgeguarding was too much for me, lost the majority of the stocks that way and at the same time I couldn't punish you appropriately whenever you were out. I've been saying that this is the aspect of my game that is really lacking and that's pushing me down overall. I know I need to start either reading air dodges and punishing after or wall it up like you did all the time, but I can't do it properly it's not wired to my brain because all these years of smash with my brother we weren't that good at that so I never got better.

Still your rosa was fantastic, both the juggles and the off screen punish were spot on and there was nothing I could do. I feel that in neutral we weren't that far apart, but after that I was a goner.
Falcon and Marth were also great whenever I was out of the stage I felt like I was probably not gonna make it back. Fantastic walling with marth.

DooD1234

In for glory, all of my opponents love to call me spammer, noob, and u suck and various other words. Despite the fact that I'm switching characters after every match lol.

Also kind of terrible when I find a decent opponent online they leave after 1 battle.

For Fun though I had a lot of fun even when there was this Zelda stealing kills with all that Farore wind.

Ggs RQ. Nice 30 minute Robin that almost goes equal with my 2 week Robin...sigh.. I think in the end I won because I knew how punishable certain moves were lol..
Not a fan of them? :O

I know it felt like a very short time, but I'm about done playing today. GGs DQ, and I hope I taught you the wonders of can + Halberd. :)
Reminding me how much i prefer maps that stay still.... :<

edit: if anyone is still up for some 1v1s, i'm game nnid:direct_quote

Nabster92

Alright man, great games had a ton of fun. You really whooped my ass bad, your aggressive edgeguarding was too much for me, lost the majority of the stocks that way and at the same time I couldn't punish you appropriately whenever you were out. I've been saying that this is the aspect of my game that is really lacking and that's pushing me down overall. I know I need to start either reading air dodges and punishing after or wall it up like you did all the time, but I can't do it properly it's not wired to my brain because all these years of smash with my brother we weren't that good at that so I never got better.

Still your rosa was fantastic, both the juggles and the off screen punish were spot on and there was nothing I could do. I feel that in neutral we weren't that far apart, but after that I was a goner.
Falcon and Marth were also great whenever I was out of the stage I felt like I was probably not gonna make it back. Fantastic walling with marth.

GG's Boney. Yea I kinda feel the opposite. I feel like my neutral game is pretty bad and I do much better offstage and when I'm in a position of aggression. That's why I tend to have more difficulty against really defensive campy playstyles. I need to work on being more safe in my neutral game.

Ggs RQ. Nice 30 minute Robin that almost goes equal with my 2 week Robin...sigh.. I think in the end I won because I knew how punishable certain moves were lol..

Reminding me how much i prefer maps that stay still.... :<

You definitely won because you knew Robin better than me, it just goes to show how much fundamentals can carry a guy in this game. :O

lol Sometimes I like Halberd and sometimes I hate it, but I refuse to accept it being illegal unless the transformation stages are banned with it. :T

Boney

Banned
GG's Boney. Yea I kinda feel the opposite. I feel like my neutral game is pretty bad and I do much better offstage and when I'm in a position of aggression. That's why I tend to have more difficulty against really defensive campy playstyles. I need to work on being more safe in my neutral game.
Haha seems we can learn more from each other :)

I'd really like some tips on how to keep the pressure, your Marth was insane off stage!

Moonlight

Banned
lol, Thoron has a fuckload of endlag.
Something's gone wrong if you aren't using Thoron as a hard punish or off-stage snipe! Elthunder and Arcthunder(!!!) are what you usually wanna use your Thunder tomes for. A lot more practical for zoning and set-ups, respectively. Thoron is mostly good for mind-games in neutral, since having one stocked makes your opponent hella nervous. :lol

Thinking about it, you really are the most aggressive rosalina I've seen.

You definitely won because you knew Robin better than me, it just goes to show how much fundamentals can carry a guy in this game. :O

lol Sometimes I like Halberd and sometimes I hate it, but I refuse to accept it being illegal unless the transformation stages are banned with it. :T

Transformation stages don't flip a coin and go "Oh well I guess I'll target THAT player instead of the other one..."

On the other note, relying on fundamentals too much can make you overlook some of the best traits a character has. I have trouble using some of the more unique specials because they aren't part of my fundamentals repertoire.

Nabster92

Haha seems we can learn more from each other :)

I'd really like some tips on how to keep the pressure, your Marth was insane off stage!

I feel like spacing yourself to be in an intimidating position offstage against someone coming back is a lot easier because there's a lot less options people have there. They have to be coming back in towards the stage for the most part. They will have to double jump at some point depending on how far they are coming from and how much pressure you are putting on them. If you can pick up a habit for when they tend to burn the double jump you can catch them right out of it and they're pretty much dead (depending on the character of course).

I'd say my offstage play relies a lot more on reaction than reads though. Often times as long as you position yourself in a threatening enough position where you're just outside their range of attack, but in range to quickly double jump into an attack of your own, you can just wait for them to push a button like air dodge or throwing out an attack and immediately jump into it to punish it. You of course sometimes should mix things up to keep them on their toes and just go in with the attack so they know they actually do need to air dodge sometimes. So there's a mix of conditioning things you can punish easily on reaction and taking some risks with aggressive attacks. You just need to be extra alert when you take the risks offstage to not put yourself in a position to get spiked by their punish if they read it correctly and also be prepared to tech any stage spikes if your risky move fails as well. Also realize how little it takes to gimp a recovery. A lot of times with falcon I go out with a knee intentionally not really spaced to sweet spot just to have a hit box out to cover some options and just give people a tap to push them away slightly after they used their double jump. Because a lot of people tend to recover low and just enough to get to the ledge with their up b, that little tap is enough to make them unable to recover. It might not feel as satisfying, but it gets the job done.

When you're coming back yourself against someone you have to keep all of that in mind as well and react to their spacing by spacing yourself and reacting to what they do. Try not to come back in the same exact way every time and let them pick up on your patterns. Always choose very carefully when you burn your double jump(s) as you lose a lot more options when you get hit offstage again without a jump regardless of what character you are. If you realize the other person tends to come after you in the same way multiple times, be prepared to turn it around on them next time and punish them for it, but still account for the possibility of them trying to condition you. Like a lot of the times that you came out after me with your d-air as samus, it seemed to always be in a consistent spot so I was pretty much always punishing you with a b-air on reaction whenever you tried. You should only go for spikes like that when the other persons options are limited enough that it will cover enough of their options without putting you in a bad position immediately if they dodge it.

Transformation stages don't flip a coin and go "Oh well I guess I'll target THAT player instead of the other one..."

On the other note, relying on fundamentals too much can make you overlook some of the best traits a character has. I have trouble using some of the more unique specials because they aren't part of my fundamentals repertoire.
Halberd's hazards are so laughably easy to avoid you literally have to be placed in hitstun by your opponent to be hit by them most of the time.

And besides, only the claw targets one player completely, the laser and cannonball can damage anybody in range.

I only rely on fundamentals when I've been using a character for all of 30 minutes like Robin, so it really can't be helped in that case. ><;;;

Boney

Banned
I feel like spacing yourself to be in an intimidating position offstage against someone coming back is a lot easier because there's a lot less options people have there. They have to be coming back in towards the stage for the most part. They will have to double jump at some point depending on how far they are coming from and how much pressure you are putting on them. If you can pick up a habit for when they tend to burn the double jump you can catch them right out of it and they're pretty much dead (depending on the character of course).

I'd say my offstage play relies a lot more on reaction than reads though. Often times as long as you position yourself in a threatening enough position where you're just outside their range of attack, but in range to quickly double jump into an attack of your own, you can just wait for them to push a button like air dodge or throwing out an attack and immediately jump into it to punish it. You of course sometimes should mix things up to keep them on their toes and just go in with the attack so they know they actually do need to air dodge sometimes. So there's a mix of conditioning things you can punish easily on reaction and taking some risks with aggressive attacks. You just need to be extra alert when you take the risks offstage to not put yourself in a position to get spiked by their punish if they read it correctly and also be prepared to tech any stage spikes if your risky move fails as well. Also realize how little it takes to gimp a recovery. A lot of times with falcon I go out with a knee intentionally not really spaced to sweet spot just to have a hit box out to cover some options and just give people a tap to push them away slightly after they used their double jump. Because a lot of people tend to recover low and just enough to get to the ledge with their up b, that little tap is enough to make them unable to recover. It might not feel as satisfying, but it gets the job done.

When you're coming back yourself against someone you have to keep all of that in mind as well and react to their spacing by spacing yourself and reacting to what they do. Try not to come back in the same exact way every time and let them pick up on your patterns. Always choose very carefully when you burn your double jump(s) as you lose a lot more options when you get hit offstage again without a jump regardless of what character you are. If you realize the other person tends to come after you in the same way multiple times, be prepared to turn it around on them next time and punish them for it, but still account for the possibility of them trying to condition you. Like a lot of the times that you came out after me with your d-air as samus, it seemed to always be in a consistent spot so I was pretty much always punishing you with a b-air on reaction whenever you tried. You should only go for spikes like that when the other persons options are limited enough that it will cover enough of their options without putting you in a bad position immediately if they dodge it.
Thanks for the writeup i really appreciate it. I'm gonna have to continue trying to be more in your face and out there off the stage. I really need to get good at that, he'll that's why I have so much trouble against little Mac, he always makes it up to the stage. Gonna put it all to work and hopefully next time we play I can pressure you more.

mcmmaster

Probably super late, but i can't believe Sakurai really missed this marvelous track out of the Club Nintendo soundtrack. I knew selected tracks were only getting in but man, missing out on that is a huge downer.

Boney

Banned
What was that what about?

Damn 3 stocked, you shield and I'm at a loss at what to do... I'm so used to punishing stuff that you make me play thee other way, you punish me!

I just get so impatient lol, I can't hit you at all it's pretty insane, and it's the only person I get this problem with.

Puruzi

Banned
What was that what about?

Damn 3 stocked, you shield and I'm at a loss at what to do... I'm so used to punishing stuff that you make me play thee other way, you punish me!

The samus vs g&w fight.
That weird directional up b was awful, lol

Boney

Banned
The samus vs g&w fight.
That weird directional up b was awful, lol
Ah right, lol that was terrible

Just to be clear that was a bomb not a missile >.>

The thing that gets me the most is when you roll around behind me near the ledge, it's super punishable but I always let you get it because I keep using. My jab that supposedly hits behind you but now it doesn't want to

Boney

Banned
SIDESMASH
Like if it was in a different córner o would've been ok with it lol
Welp at Least I got the last game, was kinda dreading it at the beginning of the fight.

But really it's your shielding that gets me every time it's super hard to poke through it, I'm used to interrupting attacks so seeing you stone wall everything is super hard for me. I did get a tiny bit smarter and threw a few down smashes which I stopped using and a pair for screw attacks to punish your rolls but still, 95% of the time they gave you the opening needed.
It's hard to fight you you really throw me off a lot and I'm not comfortable with my play style, so that's the biggest compliment I can give you. You really got spacing down, I need to stop throwing attacks that are so punishable especially my grab, I'm so used to people dash attacking or stopping at shielding right in front of me so it's a bad habit I need to get out.

Fun stuff, not sure which character gave me the most trouble, probably fox, that charged laser really threw me off.

Puruzi

Banned
Whoops. Jumped off ledge by accident :T
GGs, that Samus is still super good, and you have a much better Ike than I do.

Custom Spacies are baller as fuck though, might main Custom Fox and Falco

Boney

Banned
Whoops. Jumped off ledge by accident :T
GGs, that Samus is still super good, and you have a much better Ike than I do.

Custom Spacies are baller as fuck though, might main Custom Fox and Falco
Haha yeah those were the fights that gave me the most trouble, seems you've found your mains!

Top Bottom