• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

DooD1234

Alright. I just got done with a douche on for glory that wasn't very good, but I kept falling into the same move and wasn't using Yoshi. They then proceeded to rapidly change their name to "YOU" and "SUCK".
I can already see next patch they will make name invisible to other people online because I got the same deal only difference was I was beating my opponents rather easily. People always finds ways to be assholes to each other lol.

Boney

Banned
Alright. I just got done with a douche on for glory that wasn't very good, but I kept falling into the same move and wasn't using Yoshi. They then proceeded to rapidly change their name to "YOU" and "SUCK".
Those guys are the worst

It's a little laggy, that's a shame

Dudes can be major assholes when anonymity comes into play, especially when otherwise they'd get beat for talking trash like that. :/

I like Mario, he's fun, but I haven't got to any of his custom moves yet aside from Fast Fireball and Gust Cape. Can anyone vouch for them?

So anyone up for some games? nnid:direct_quote .

Dudes can be major assholes when anonymity comes into play, especially when otherwise they'd get beat for talking trash like that. :/

I like Mario, he's fun, but I haven't got to any of his custom moves yet aside from Fast Fireball and Gust Cape. Can anyone vouch for them?
Eh at least you can report people on consoles. I remember some pretty terribly run servers in certain PC games.

But I do wish you could send people messages just so I could see some people's dumb comments. Always enjoyed those with SF4 online..

I can already see next patch they will make name invisible to other people online because I got the same deal only difference was I was beating my opponents rather easily. People always finds ways to be assholes to each other lol.

That would be good and bad. I've had multiple people harass through names, and they are never super good. The matches with the I just mentioned were very close. The first match he killed me without taking damage, but I managed to get him to 80% on his second stock.

Those guys are the worst

It's a little laggy, that's a shame

Our connection is so weird. It is perfect 1 second, and then random huge lag spikes. Gold games, though. I am definitely not good off stage and recovering with Marth. But I essentially started using him today...

Yup. I am sure they aren't the best of people in real life.

I've only tried fast fireball, and I think the original is better.

Boy that lag there got terrible :( shame cause Yoshi is legit

Quote you still up for some fights?
Yah I'm still down.
edit: btw ive been doing that break targets thing with gannon on stage 2 without turbo, just pause to see if there's a custom or not, and already got 3 custom moves. Much faster than crazy orders...

Boney

Banned
Yah I'm still down.
edit: btw ive been doing that break targets thing with gannon on stage 2 without turbo, just pause to see if there's a custom or not, and already got 3 custom moves. Much faster than crazy orders...
Alright, give me 5 minutes and I'll be on

Room's up!

Regarding break the targets, I don't have much luck there, most of the times when I get a wrench thingy, it's an equipment rather than a move.

How I wish you could unlock them by just playing online..

Edit: that boomerang barrage lol. Playing pretty bad against no offense a pretty scrubby link lol, but it's working out great so more power to you!

Best advice I can give you against samus is to walk, not run.

Boney

Banned
Thanks for the "complement"..
Hehe not trying to be an asshole or anything, I'm not even frustrated but you should be shooting your projectiles in the air, full hop arrows, short hop angled boomerangs, bombs to mix up. Tilts and jabs as well. Oh and claw shot works great for spacing! You should be using that as well! Also against projectiles, walk and let the shield take care of everything.

Also nair auto cancels and that's a great approach

It's in good faith, it's working because idk I'm terrible at this game but you could be doing a lot more!

Either way, sorry if it came out rude, wasn't my intention

Hehe, using him now I kinda wanna pick him up.

Alright man, it got a too laggy for my liking, let's call it quits. Again sorry for the offense, but you're picking some really bad habits, it worked against me between the lag and me being pretty bad at defusing the situation but anyone decent isn't gonna be hit by link's charged arrows and standing still boomerangs at neutral. So yeah, you gotta practice practice practice!

Yes, just got Link's last custom. And with that I now have all the customs in the game unlocked. Took about a month of legit effort. ...And honestly, I'm probably only going to be using Palutena's customs.

Cronox

Banned
Well guys I played on stream at a local tournament and got completely wrecked by the guy who ended up winning the whole thing. After getting wrecked as Bowser in the first match, I switched to Jigglypuff so he could style on me as that character too. I mean, he made feel like I'd just picked up the game. I've never played a Shiek that moved so fast, where the space between attacks basically didn't exist. Practically no opportunities to punish anything, which is why I got over-reliant on fortress. Part of this problem is my old man reaction speed - literally going from "he's standing there" to "I just got fair'd" without much in between. Meanwhile he was perfect shielding a ton of attacks. I shouldn't feel too bad because even the top guy in the NorCal competitive scene got defeated by him pretty soundly. But it's a little humbling to play someone and feel like they're almost playing a different game than you are.

Technically placed 17th out of 54 (I think) in all, my best so far... But anyway, this is where I think Bowser's limits come into play. First of all, I've never played against a Shiek this good, obviously. I feel alright about the Shiek matchup generally, I feel like Bowser's fair is better than Shieks. I've never struggled against the very few I've ever played against. I probably should have stayed Bowser just for the extra experience, but I once played a decent Shiek that had real trouble with my Jigglypuff so I thought I'd give it a try.

Karsticles, other Bowser players... when the match video gets posted on youtube probably sometime tomorrow I'll link it here (edit: http://youtu.be/W9rPsbFOe0c) and... well, any ideas you have on what the hell I could have done in that match would be great. Funnily enough, regardless of my performance, I think my opponent, "[NME] Zex" was probably the most skilled player to fight a Bowser on any stream yet. Just bad luck on my part that I happened to face him so early in the tourney...

Is it normal for an establishment to charge money to play smash at their place AND take a 35% cut of tournament money? That's what happened to a really small tourney I went to and it feels kinda like bs to me; but maybe I am not familiar with these rules and it's the norm...

Is it normal for an establishment to charge money to play smash at their place AND take a 35% cut of tournament money? That's what happened to a really small tourney I went to and it feels kinda like bs to me; but maybe I am not familiar with these rules and it's the norm...
You mean, like take a cut of the pot money? My local has a venue fee to sustain itself, and a separate entry fee for tournaments to fund their pots.

If they're charging venue fees AND pocketing some of that pot money, that's some shady-ass shit. Either that or they have hella big pots and figure it's worth it. Or maybe they're run by broke-ass mofos. I don't know, so I'm gonna shrug my shoulders.

It was a small 8 man tourney. It costs $5 just to play there, which is fine. It was another $5 to enter the tourney. Only 5 goes towards the tourney, so the pot was $40. I won, and I got $16 freaking dollars, lol. 2nd got 10. The store pocketed another $14 from the pot in addition to the. $50 or so for peoe just to play. I essentially won $6... The money is not a huge deal. I would have gone and have gone if it was a no money tourney, but that seems like such a load of crap for the players involved.

It was a small 8 man tourney. It costs $5 just to play there, which is fine. It was another $5 to enter the tourney. Only 5 goes towards the tourney, so the pot was $40. I won, and I got $16 freaking dollars, lol. 2nd got 10. The store pocketed another $14 from the pot in addition to the. $50 or so for peoe just to play. I essentially won $6... The money is not a huge deal. I would have gone and have gone if it was a no money tourney, but that seems like such a load of crap for the players involved.
Man, that's bogus imo. Unless the place is struggling to make ends meet, this doesn't seem right to me. Did they make it known how much of the pot would be given to the players beforehand?
I just registered as an entrant for Smash4 at EVO.

And I dont even have all the characters unlocked.

Welp.
Don't forget about those custom moves, lol.

I hope you were sober and lucid for what you just signed up for, and fully prepared to see that 0-2 next to your name.

FSLink

Banned

Yeah, that's bullshit. If it's that expensive for them to host a tourney, they should make the venue fee more expensive.

I signed up for EVO this time around. Hopefully I can get pretty far.

I've been mostly playing more Diddy Kong and Duck Hunt.

Boney

Banned
Well guys I played on stream at a local tournament and got completely wrecked by the guy who ended up winning the whole thing. After getting wrecked as Bowser in the first match, I switched to Jigglypuff so he could style on me as that character too. I mean, he made feel like I'd just picked up the game. I've never played a Shiek that moved so fast, where the space between attacks basically didn't exist. Practically no opportunities to punish anything, which is why I got over-reliant on fortress. Part of this problem is my old man reaction speed - literally going from "he's standing there" to "I just got fair'd" without much in between. Meanwhile he was perfect shielding a ton of attacks. I shouldn't feel too bad because even the top guy in the NorCal competitive scene got defeated by him pretty soundly. But it's a little humbling to play someone and feel like they're almost playing a different game than you are.

Technically placed 17th out of 54 (I think) in all, my best so far... But anyway, this is where I think Bowser's limits come into play. First of all, I've never played against a Shiek this good, obviously. I feel alright about the Shiek matchup generally, I feel like Bowser's fair is better than Shieks. I've never struggled against the very few I've ever played against. I probably should have stayed Bowser just for the extra experience, but I once played a decent Shiek that had real trouble with my Jigglypuff so I thought I'd give it a try.

Karsticles, other Bowser players... when the match video gets posted on youtube probably sometime tomorrow I'll link it here (edit: actually, the Twitch video is online here, http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/v/3839817, skip to 1:39:30 for the start of the match) and... well, any ideas you have on what the hell I could have done in that match would be great. Funnily enough, regardless of my performance, I think my opponent, "[NME] Zex" was probably the most skilled player to fight a Bowser on any stream yet. Just bad luck on my part that I happened to face him so early in the tourney...
Bummer, it doesn't let me watch anything, please upload it once it's on YouTube.
But yeah, when you play really good technical players you realize how good a character the top tiers are and how hard it is to counter them. They probably would beat me with any character, but it wouldn't be such a helpless struggle. I really hope we can get an update that buffs a lot more people and slightly nerf a thing or two for the top tiers, I hate character specific dominated scenes.

Karsticles, other Bowser players... when the match video gets posted on youtube probably sometime tomorrow I'll link it here (edit: actually, the Twitch video is online here, http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/v/3839817, skip to 1:39:30 for the start of the match) and... well, any ideas you have on what the hell I could have done in that match would be great. Funnily enough, regardless of my performance, I think my opponent, "[NME] Zex" was probably the most skilled player to fight a Bowser on any stream yet. Just bad luck on my part that I happened to face him so early in the tourney...
Can you do me the courtesy of PMing me the YouTube link as well? I don't want to miss it.

TWILT here is a great Shulk player. I recommend practicing against him.

Total BS.

Tripon

Uh, the store should only charge a venue fee.

Man, that's bogus imo. Unless the place is struggling to make ends meet, this doesn't seem right to me. Did they make it known how much of the pot would be given to the players beforehand?

Total BS.

Uh, the store should only charge a venue fee.

Yea thought so. It sucks but whatever. It looks like a place that will be closed in few months. Two card players purchasing a hidden corner spot in a shopping center looking like they are way over their heads. No decorations, no originality. It's a room with tables.

How is Samus so weak in this game? Terrible jab (if it doesn't combo then why isn't the first hit safe? Ridiculous), tiny arc on up smash, charge shot takes way too long to charge, one of the slowest rolls, missile startup is slow, nearly-useless down B, slow fall combined with terrible air to ground moves. How did they mess this up so badly?

DooD1234

How is Samus so weak in this game? Terrible jab (if it doesn't combo then why isn't the first hit safe? Ridiculous), tiny arc on up smash, charge shot takes way too long to charge, one of the slowest rolls, missile startup is slow, nearly-useless down B, slow fall combined with terrible air to ground moves. How did they mess this up so badly?
You forgot to mention forward smash with sweet spot and really weak down smash. How did Sakurai at the E3 invitational come to the conclusion that Samus was the strongest character unless he meant ZSS is beyond me.

Boney

Banned
Wow wow wow wow

The up b is amazing. It's a great oos option and it can combo with up air and get you early kills.

Other than that yeah she has some very notorious weaknesses, the jab combo can hurt you in low percents and that's inexcusable, but it's a very good spacing tool at around 30%. It has a great arc that can punish short hops, you can cancel jab 1 into dtilt as well but I'm not used to doing that sadly :(

Up smash is terrible and it can only be used when you read air dodges out of grabs or dash attacks but for the once in a blue moon it can ko nicely. Same for the other smashes, down smash knock back is pathetic and that's probably her biggest weakness, if it was buff to Melee power I'd be ok with her, but it's a good move to punish rolls. Fsmash has the tipper which hits hard but not hard enough to make up for the non tipper smash.

But hey, she has other very very good tools though, her tilts are amazing like one of the best in the game. Ftilt is fast has amazing reach and can set up numerous follow ups, even charge shots at 100% for a ko. Utilt is a good anti air that can ko nicely as well and has very little ending lag, while dtilt has very fast startup and can get opponents off you and get them in the air where that where you want them.
Dash attack is amazing, it'll combo into aerials and you're gonna be doing 30 to 40 damage depending on how the hit connects at low percents and you can connect it to one aerials at mid percents and get great advantages.
Up air is godly, combos into itself, has good knockback or can set up to screw attack, it's also surprising a great air to ground option, which auto cancels and can poke shields efficiently. fair has good priority and will get you off stage to pressure your opponents, it doesn't cancel though so be careful with it. Bair kills is fast and auto cancels on the ground, floaty jumps make RAR a little tricky but that's where down air comes into play. It's nerfed hard from brawl, losing tons of priority but it'll cancels from a short hop, and you can use it space well. You can't fast fall it and that's gonna give you a hard time against smaller opponents , but still it does good damage and can set up to other things. Neutral air also hit's fast and in a completely horizontal angle which you can use to combo into charge shot, gimp or straits out ko.
Zair is great for spacing but sadly it got nerfed as well, tipper did 7% in brawl and now it only does 3% but it's a great tool to have and it'll beat anything. The grab is ok, it's pretty useful, she has the second fastest pummel and down throws combos, I wish forward throw would ko, at high percentages but you can get good mileage out of it, it's pretty punishable on whiff but hey, it has superb range.

Specials are also pretty good honestly, charge shot doesn't take that long to charge and a mid charge and 3/4 charge pack a heavy punch as well, and can ko and punish really well. Missiles are just for pressure and I agree they should be buffed as well, either give them less end lag or give kill potential to the super missiles but as it stands they're only useful to weaken shields and set up situations.
Bombs give you great aerial mobility and they work for a good recovery, plus you can set up or take away options really well with them and they do a respectable 9%.

She's definately not top tier material but I think she's a pretty decent mid tier with lot's of potential, there's a few good players like ChozoX and KayJay that are getting good results.

Here is chozox vs player1 (diddy) match. See if it tickles you fancy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtU1JCbBNxM

Cronox

Banned
Bummer, it doesn't let me watch anything, please upload it once it's on YouTube.
But yeah, when you play really good technical players you realize how good a character the top tiers are and how hard it is to counter them. They probably would beat me with any character, but it wouldn't be such a helpless struggle. I really hope we can get an update that buffs a lot more people and slightly nerf a thing or two for the top tiers, I hate character specific dominated scenes.

Can you do me the courtesy of PMing me the YouTube link as well? I don't want to miss it.

Edited in the youtube link on my post earlier on this page. I rolled too much cause old habits come out when I'm feeling pressure like he was putting on me, but actually watching this again I don't feel too bad. If he hadn't spotdodged my side-b there was a good chance I could have ended his first stock off of a followup.

Wow wow wow wow

The up b is amazing. It's a great oos option and it can combo with up air and get you early kills.

Other than that yeah she has some very notorious weaknesses, the jab combo can hurt you in low percents and that's inexcusable, but it's a very good spacing tool at around 30%. It has a great arc that can punish short hops, you can cancel jab 1 into dtilt as well but I'm not used to doing that sadly :(

Up smash is terrible and it can only be used when you read air dodges out of grabs or dash attacks but for the once in a blue moon it can ko nicely. Same for the other smashes, down smash knock back is pathetic and that's probably her biggest weakness, if it was buff to Melee power I'd be ok with her, but it's a good move to punish rolls. Fsmash has the tipper which hits hard but not hard enough to make up for the non tipper smash.

But hey, she has other very very good tools though, her tilts are amazing like one of the best in the game. Ftilt is fast has amazing reach and can set up numerous follow ups, even charge shots at 100% for a ko. Utilt is a good anti air that can ko nicely as well and has very little ending lag, while dtilt has very fast startup and can get opponents off you and get them in the air where that where you want them.
Dash attack is amazing, it'll combo into aerials and you're gonna be doing 30 to 40 damage depending on how the hit connects at low percents and you can connect it to one aerials at mid percents and get great advantages.
Up air is godly, combos into itself, has good knockback or can set up to screw attack, it's also surprising a great air to ground option, which auto cancels and can poke shields efficiently. fair has good priority and will get you off stage to pressure your opponents, it doesn't cancel though so be careful with it. Bair kills is fast and auto cancels on the ground, floaty jumps make RAR a little tricky but that's where down air comes into play. It's nerfed hard from brawl, losing tons of priority but it'll cancels from a short hop, and you can use it space well. You can't fast fall it and that's gonna give you a hard time against smaller opponents , but still it does good damage and can set up to other things. Neutral air also hit's fast and in a completely horizontal angle which you can use to combo into charge shot, gimp or straits out ko.
Zair is great for spacing but sadly it got nerfed as well, tipper did 7% in brawl and now it only does 3% but it's a great tool to have and it'll beat anything. The grab is ok, it's pretty useful, she has the second fastest pummel and down throws combos, I wish forward throw would ko, at high percentages but you can get good mileage out of it, it's pretty punishable on whiff but hey, it has superb range.

Specials are also pretty good honestly, charge shot doesn't take that long to charge and a mid charge and 3/4 charge pack a heavy punch as well, and can ko and punish really well. Missiles are just for pressure and I agree they should be buffed as well, either give them less end lag or give kill potential to the super missiles but as it stands they're only useful to weaken shields and set up situations.
Bombs give you great aerial mobility and they work for a good recovery, plus you can set up or take away options really well with them and they do a respectable 9%.

She's definately not top tier material but I think she's a pretty decent mid tier with lot's of potential, there's a few good players like ChozoX and KayJay that are getting good results.

Here is chozox vs player1 (diddy) match. See if it tickles you fancy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtU1JCbBNxM

Not really looking good. He struggled the entire time, worked hard, and still lost. Her tilts look average with above-average reach. If forward tilt can combo into charge shot then that's good I guess. Down B has no utility other than air control, and a Samus running at you has nothing but dash grab and dash attack, neither of which are very difficult to sidestep and punish. Her air speed is so slow that the up air and Screw Attack just aren't scary. I'm not seeing it. It's not like Greninja where they're really close to being good but have some questionable frame data, Samus seems like a series of bad decisions that just don't come together into a cohesive character.

Halberd's hazards are so laughably easy to avoid you literally have to be placed in hitstun by your opponent to be hit by them most of the time.

And besides, only the claw targets one player completely, the laser and cannonball can damage anybody in range.

I only rely on fundamentals when I've been using a character for all of 30 minutes like Robin, so it really can't be helped in that case. ><;;;

The logic "It's easy to avoid, therefore we should include it in competitive matches" suggests we should also include Mr. Saturn, the Ore Club, the Franklin Badge, etc.

My Wii U controller just displayed a "Donkey Kong Knockout Offer." Here's the thing though: The Wii U is off. The console has the red light. The controller hasn't been used for days. It just randomly chimes with an offer? Wtf? I work night shift. I'm supposed to be sleeping right now. And my console that I turned off is going to go BEEP BOOP BEEP without my involvement? What do I have to do, take the batteries out?

The logic "It's easy to avoid, therefore we should include it in competitive matches" suggests we should also include Mr. Saturn, the Ore Club, the Franklin Badge, etc.

My Wii U controller just displayed a "Donkey Kong Knockout Offer." Here's the thing though: The Wii U is off. The console has the red light. The controller hasn't been used for days. It just randomly chimes with an offer? Wtf? I work night shift. I'm supposed to be sleeping right now. And my console that I turned off is going to go BEEP BOOP BEEP without my involvement? What do I have to do, take the batteries out?

Read the messages it displays when you update your system. It asked you to opt-in to that program after one of the updates.

I am still available if anyone wants to play.

Last I checked, items don't telegraph their spawns in any way, and actually benefit the player who reaches it first, giving the player control rather than being decided by the game a la Halberd. Good try though.

Also you can disable that in system settings, I believe.

Edit: played a Rosa on FG, I can't believe how much the game lets players get away with when they're defensive, it's ridiculous.

Top Bottom