• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

FSLink

Banned
The logic "It's easy to avoid, therefore we should include it in competitive matches" suggests we should also include Mr. Saturn, the Ore Club, the Franklin Badge, etc.

My Wii U controller just displayed a "Donkey Kong Knockout Offer." Here's the thing though: The Wii U is off. The console has the red light. The controller hasn't been used for days. It just randomly chimes with an offer? Wtf? I work night shift. I'm supposed to be sleeping right now. And my console that I turned off is going to go BEEP BOOP BEEP without my involvement? What do I have to do, take the batteries out?

You opted in for the advertisements, you goofed and forgot or you just click accept without reading things. Congrats.

Item spawn favors faster characters, it's completely luck based. Plus Mr. Saturns/Ore Club/etc can be used really well with z-drops and other stuff. Halberd's hazards are completely telegraphed.

Cronox

Banned
Not really looking good. He struggled the entire time, worked hard, and still lost. Her tilts look average with above-average reach. If forward tilt can combo into charge shot then that's good I guess. Down B has no utility other than air control, and a Samus running at you has nothing but dash grab and dash attack, neither of which are very difficult to sidestep and punish. Her air speed is so slow that the up air and Screw Attack just aren't scary. I'm not seeing it. It's not like Greninja where they're really close to being good but have some questionable frame data, Samus seems like a series of bad decisions that just don't come together into a cohesive character.

I agree, I use Samus occasionally in for glory matches as a guilty pleasure / noob destroyer, but she's missing some fundamentals that really hurt. Removing the nair kick from previous games really sucks, jab is completely unsafe (I want to say it's the worst jab in the game... prove me wrong anyone?), upsmash has no possibility of hitting people on the ground, downsmash unimpressive besides as a "get away from me" move, sidesmash is laughable unless sweet-spotted, the slowest roll in the game... There are just too many weaknesses. In the air you're at a disadvantage unless you're under the opponent. On the ground you're at a disadvantage as soon as your opponent closes the distance. Samus can't create enough of a wall to keep opponents out, and doesn't have the speed to run away like Duck Hunt does.

No, the distance is too much for an adapter. The first game was fine, but during the second game my 3 step-brothers started using the Internet, and I don't know how, but they somehow slow it down a ton.

If someone waves their mouse around and then opens a browser to Google, the game will act like someone is gnawing on the wireless cable. I hate wireless internets most of the time.

emb

My Wii U controller just displayed a "Donkey Kong Knockout Offer." Here's the thing though: The Wii U is off. The console has the red light. The controller hasn't been used for days. It just randomly chimes with an offer? Wtf? I work night shift. I'm supposed to be sleeping right now. And my console that I turned off is going to go BEEP BOOP BEEP without my involvement? What do I have to do, take the batteries out?
It was mentioned, but yeah, you opted into it. Also worth mentioning, you can turn it off in the settings.

I thought it was part of quick start, so I had it on at first. Killed the battery every time I forgot to plug in the AC adapter after a session.

Cronox

Banned
No, the distance is too much for an adapter. The first game was fine, but during the second game my 3 step-brothers started using the Internet, and I don't know how, but they somehow slow it down a ton.

To anyone who says the distance is too far from their router to run a wired connection, consider getting one of these. I play smash from a second story bedroom through a wired connection to a router in the downstairs living room using an older version of that product and my ping is great. It's not just for your Wii U, buy an ethernet switch and wire all your consoles or computer too.

To anyone who says the distance is too far from their router to run a wired connection, consider getting one of these. I play smash from a second story bedroom through a wired connection to a router in the downstairs living room using an older version of that product and my ping is great. It's not just for your Wii U, buy an ethernet switch and wire all your consoles or computer too.

What do you do with those anyway?

If someone waves their mouse around and then opens a browser to Google, the game will act like someone is gnawing on the wireless cable. I hate wireless internets most of the time.

Generally when it is just my brother who often streams on Twitch, the internet is fine. Somehow, my three step-brothers manage to get my supposedly 25 Mb/s down to as low as 1 (I've seen it lower...). I've seen them play Minecraft online, AND watch a YouTube video of Mincraft, so that probably contributes quite a bit. Sometimes they make me think one of them is running a Minecraft server through something like Hamachi.

Ah, hopefully it'll be better the next time we play. :p

Hopefully. Sometimes it is fine when they're at my house, other times, not so much. I am supposed to be switching bedrooms in the next year when my brother moves out, and the new room houses the modem. So when that happens, everything I own will have a wired connection.

What is this? Is this like hub/extender for a modem? I don't see how this would be more efficient than a wireless connection. The modem connects to this through a wireless connection, and then devices connect to it through a wired connection. Is that right? My modem is in my basement, and my room is on my top floor. I could technically wire my devices, but I would need a super long ethernet cord, and I would have to feed it through the vents. Then there is the problem of having the cord run along the walls of multiple rooms, just to get to mine.

Edit: Oh, I just saw your new post about how that think works.

Wow, that's amazing! I think I might have to invest in one of those for the future, and look into switches too. Would you say it takes up a lot of space on an outlet?

LAST DAY TO SIGN UP FOR SEASON 2 RANBATS QUOTE THIS TO SIGN UP

Well guys I played on stream at a local tournament and got completely wrecked by the guy who ended up winning the whole thing. After getting wrecked as Bowser in the first match, I switched to Jigglypuff so he could style on me as that character too. I mean, he made feel like I'd just picked up the game. I've never played a Shiek that moved so fast, where the space between attacks basically didn't exist. Practically no opportunities to punish anything, which is why I got over-reliant on fortress. Part of this problem is my old man reaction speed - literally going from "he's standing there" to "I just got fair'd" without much in between. Meanwhile he was perfect shielding a ton of attacks. I shouldn't feel too bad because even the top guy in the NorCal competitive scene got defeated by him pretty soundly. But it's a little humbling to play someone and feel like they're almost playing a different game than you are.

Technically placed 17th out of 54 (I think) in all, my best so far... But anyway, this is where I think Bowser's limits come into play. First of all, I've never played against a Shiek this good, obviously. I feel alright about the Shiek matchup generally, I feel like Bowser's fair is better than Shieks. I've never struggled against the very few I've ever played against. I probably should have stayed Bowser just for the extra experience, but I once played a decent Shiek that had real trouble with my Jigglypuff so I thought I'd give it a try.

Karsticles, other Bowser players... when the match video gets posted on youtube probably sometime tomorrow I'll link it here (edit: http://youtu.be/W9rPsbFOe0c) and... well, any ideas you have on what the hell I could have done in that match would be great. Funnily enough, regardless of my performance, I think my opponent, "[NME] Zex" was probably the most skilled player to fight a Bowser on any stream yet. Just bad luck on my part that I happened to face him so early in the tourney...
Feedback on the YouTube video, by time:
0:03: Air dodges are unsafe unless special cancel. Unless the opponent is super far away (not this case), I think you should commit to one. Fortress or Fire Breath would have been fine here.

0:05: Get out of the habit of rolling backward. Even if it's safe (which is debatable here), you are giving up ground. When we play, I feel like I consistently corner you because you don't mind your positioning. Then, in the corner, you end up getting opened up. Check out how this follows up...

0:07: Ooph, another backroll. You don't get punished for it, but it leaves you at a frame disadvantage, which means you got hit by Sheik's fair when you tried to attack. IMO, Bowser, like any grappler, needs to be pushing people to the ledge so they have to deal with his grabs. Getting pushed back means you are failing the neutral, and it's usually because you are intimidated, not because you are actually under too much pressure.

0:18: Roll recovery has a lot of recovery frames. Here, Sheik is already in front of you, so it's an easy punish (and she's successful).

0:21: You go for a jump into side B. It's a great way to open up a defensive opponent, but your opponent is super offensive. You're a sitting duck the entire time in the air, and you get hit as a result.

0:55: Check out this Fortress. Did you even have a good reason to Fortress? No, but it worked! Why did it work? It worked because your opponent has seen you do little more than block or roll so far. He is overconfident, and feels he can be endlessly aggressive against you. I honestly think you need to be using Fortress more. Fortress is the move that makes opponents scared to approach you. It creates the second guess that you need to be offensive (which Bowser is not good at, IMO).

1:02: SH Nair? -_-

1:11: Sheik comes down on you, and you block. You try for something...maybe a shield grab? The video is a bit blurry. Either way, THIS is your Fortress opportunity. Pretty much any blocked aerial can be punished by an OoS Fortress.

1:37: Another roll, and this time INTO Sheik. The slowest, worst roll in the game vs. the fastest character. You rolled a lot during this match, but I've let most go without mention. This one stood out as a poor decision.

Boney

Banned
Anyone looking to play?

Edited in the youtube link on my post earlier on this page. I rolled too much cause old habits come out when I'm feeling pressure like he was putting on me, but actually watching this again I don't feel too bad. If he hadn't spotdodged my side-b there was a good chance I could have ended his first stock off of a followup.
Fun fights, that Shiek was reaaaaally good, that's just years of experience, and even the commentators acknowledged how good you did. As you said you left yourself open in a few times and I think you should've sticked to bowser. That time when you changed from using the up b to the claw out of shield and he spot dodged it was pretty insane on his part, but overall you had some solid play. Can't give you any advice really but I guess using fair to not let him short hop so easily might've worked better, it's just such a hard match up.

Anyone looking to play?

Fun fights, that Shiek was reaaaaally good, that's just years of experience, and even the commentators acknowledged how good you did. As you said you left yourself open in a few times and I think you should've sticked to bowser. That time when you changed from using the up b to the claw out of shield and he spot dodged it was pretty insane on his part, but overall you had some solid play. Can't give you any advice really but I guess using fair to not let him short hop so easily might've worked better, it's just such a hard match up.

I can play a few

Boney

Banned
I can play a few
Right sorry was playing some really great for glory matches I'll make the room right now!

Was playing a pretty interesting Zelda who did spacing really well, needed to be a bit more aggressive tbgough
Guess you're busy now or forgot, I'll be checking in after every match if we can coordinate

Right sorry was playing some really great for glory matches I'll make the room right now!

Was playing a pretty interesting Zelda who did spacing really well, needed to be a bit more aggressive tbgough
Guess you're busy now or forgot, I'll be checking in after every match if we can coordinate

Back. Go ahead and make a room

1:02: SH Nair? -_-

1:37: Another roll, and this time INTO Sheik. The slowest, worst roll in the game vs. the fastest character. You rolled a lot during this match, but I've let most go without mention. This one stood out as a poor decision.

Does Bowser really have the worst roll in the game? Seems like a pretty close race when Yoshi and Samus are around.

And I WISH short hop nair worked with Bowser, though then he would be a nightmare to defend against.

Does Bowser really have the worst roll in the game? Seems like a pretty close race when Yoshi and Samus are around.

And I WISH short hop nair worked with Bowser, though then he would be a nightmare to defend against.
There was a chart a while ago that compiled invincibility time, roll distance, and active roll frames for each character. Bowser was close to the bottom on all three, and averaged as the worst. Maybe someone else has the link.

Less recovery time on nair would be nice, but it isn't even in my top 5 changes to him. He has at least 4 things that are legitimately broken right now. At least.

Boney

Banned
So hard to get used to new matchups especially when it's a freaking Mii >.>

Oh you left? Oh well... Fun fights cool things with that new down b with ness.
A bunch of very silly sd's cost me a few matches but I think your ness was manageable (even though you 2 stocked me the first time)

Anybody else up?

Shamrock's Mii convinced me that I just need a projectile. That little pecker zips around everywhere, and Bowser looks like a fat grandpa chasing him.

Boney

Banned
Shamrock's Mii convinced me that I just need a projectile. That little pecker zips around everywhere, and Bowser looks like a fat grandpa chasing him.
It's hard playing them because you don't know which moves are punishable or not. I also ate like 10 rush specials to the face because I kept forgetting them.

It's hard playing them because you don't know which moves are punishable or not. I also ate like 10 rush specials to the face because I kept forgetting them.
I just can't catch him. :p

I know how to punish the kick, and I don't get hit by it often. The matchup is mostly just annoying because I feel like we are playing different games. I am trying to play a footsie game where I push Shamrock to the ledge and open him up either by forcing him to make a mistake or a dash attack. Shamrock is bouncing around the screen like a rabbit, negating all attempts at spacing and footsies, and he just gets to attack whenever the hell he wants. It is a lot like a Sonic match, where I just get bored and annoyed because I don't really get to play.

No insult to Shamrock intended. Play to win, and all that.

I can play right now.

Not sure how much I want to stay with Greninja, though. Unless he gets a buff he's going to remain outclassed by the other characters with good run speed but faster aerials and better grabs.

There was a chart a while ago that compiled invincibility time, roll distance, and active roll frames for each character. Bowser was close to the bottom on all three, and averaged as the worst. Maybe someone else has the link.

Less recovery time on nair would be nice, but it isn't even in my top 5 changes to him. He has at least 4 things that are legitimately broken right now. At least.
I don't think they will do major cosmetic changes with a patch. Probably would just nerf the top tiers unfortunately. But you never know, and god dammit it's taking forever for us to get lobbies does anyone have a link of what stuff they will be adding down the road?

Boney

Banned
I can play right now.

Not sure how much I want to stay with Greninja, though. Unless he gets a buff he's going to remain outclassed by the other characters with good run speed but faster aerials and better grabs.
Alright, set up a room, I'm joining. Hope it's not laggy like last time!

I feel like my mii is fairly aggressive :(

I will play a few.
Guess you got bored with me :(
Play shamrock snacks he called dibs first.

Anyone else up?

Boney

Banned
I'll play with Boney, because I don't remember the last time we played.

Or I'll just join whoever has a room ready.
Right, rooms up. We haven't played in forever.

Oh no problem: and didn't get bored Boney but the movement delay was getting to me. Anyone else up for a few?
My internet's been acting funky today, gotten a lot of laggy fights which is pretty unusual.

Bummer cause everyone is showing up early today

Hmm, if we had one more for the ranbats, we would have an even 30.

Anyone want to play?

I feel like my mii is fairly aggressive :(

I will play a few.
Like chasing a damn cat. At least Ness and Pac-man have limited mobility, so I can get them.

I don't think they will do major cosmetic changes with a patch. Probably would just nerf the top tiers unfortunately. But you never know, and god dammit it's taking forever for us to get lobbies does anyone have a link of what stuff they will be adding down the road?
Four fixes I would love for Bowser:
1) Up B reversal works (unique and awful disability).
2) Klaw doesn't whiff at point blank range (what is a grab?).
3) Fortress doesn't randomly throw people out of it (wtf why?).
4) Klaw should not kill Bowser first (I shouldn't be penalized for hitting you).

You were 2gud4me, Bonery :(
I played Greninja at launch, but then he got nerfed to hell. And my previous characters were Lucas, Falco, and Snake, so this game has been brutal. I've never played anyone more than 2 weeks straight.

I might try sticking with Falco. Just every time I see him do well at a tournament and it seems like there's hope, he gets fucking bodied by Diddy the very next round. And they even nerfed him by giving him those stupid orange pants on his green jacket outfit, and those red clown shoes on his blue jacket.

Boney

Banned
I hope you didn't mind I put custom on.

Fun fights, Some very cool stuff with the shurikens which I hadn't seen before, but what I've seen some other Greninjas do is space with short hop fairs, for defiende purposes. He's a Weird character but he has some cool unorthodox tools.

Overall I guess I was reading your rolls and dodges correctly so I was able to punish numerous times, you rolled backwards against charge beams a few times and once I even took a really early stock because of that. But I guess that's just practice and getting used to samus.

With falco you could've use reflector as a spacing tool, but I don't know much about the character to really say much.

What you think of samus though?

You were 2gud4me, Bonery :(
I played Greninja at launch, but then he got nerfed to hell. And my previous characters were Lucas, Falco, and Snake, so this game has been brutal. I've never played anyone more than 2 weeks straight.

I might try sticking with Falco. Just every time I see him do well at a tournament and it seems like there's hope, he gets fucking bodied by Diddy the very next round. And they even nerfed him by giving him those stupid orange pants on his green jacket outfit, and those red clown shoes on his blue jacket.
Yeah I mained snake in brawl as well but I did use samus as well and she's way more viable even though they nerfed some stupid shit. Guess you really need to stick to a character to get better, know the ins and outs so you can handle different situations. Match experience is important.
Your falco was pretty good, you should play rage quit who mains him and see what little tricks you can learn.

Greninja can turn around in midair during the first few frames of Water Shuriken, but the input to do it while running (run forward turn around short hop Shuriken and turn all in one motion) is incredibly demanding and sometimes just causes you to jump in place. Of course most For Glory players don't give a shit and will just dash attack constantly so it's hard to get good spacing practice with it.
I just plain forget about short hop Forward Air unless I'm fishing for KO's because I only started playing Greninja again recently, and the metagame back during 3DS when I actually "mained" him was short hop fast fall neutral air. It doesn't help that there's like, one notable Greninja main in the world and not many videos of him.

Falco's Reflector has a long recovery, it's more of a keepaway or obstructing tool than spacing.
And I think the Charge Shot is what keeps Samus alive. Makes it difficult to roll but most characters can't safely jump against it. But I haven't seen enough good Samuses to see how people play against her.

Top Bottom