• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Oh, man. I got trolled by a group of 3 Japanese people in free-for-all Smash. They would not hit each other at all and would only co-ordinate attacks against me. I still won the first match, though, which was funny. After that, they had a Ness fill up G&W's bucket up against me, which...meant I came in second in most of the matches after that. Plus, if someone was getting a high enough %, they'd suicide after someone other than me hit them. That was tough, but I gave it my all. The 3 vs. 1 I always dreamed of...kind of.

Ricky 7

Sure are. Watch out for DKs...
Tbh I think the game hasn't been played enough without customs. Customs aren't meant to be balanced at all so it's pretty silly to allow them for the first EVO whilst the game is still new and fresh. I could understand using them in later tourneys if the game starts to become stale.

I need to stop doing that...
edit: that counter custom can be OP sometimes, but I don't think it has armor.
The custom counters are all a bit OP, but what makes that one really painful is the follow-up Dair. Once you killed me from 0% with that. I was pretty pissed.

I figured I wasn't surviving anyway, so I decided to try the other custom up B. WOAH, super armor on a recovery move? I am never looking back.

I saved that last match between us, haha. I was starting to get tired, and I am trying to learn to stop when my interest wanes. Otherwise I start losing a lot and feel irritable.

Your Robin has gotten pretty fantastic since the last time we played. Lots of nice setups. I think I might permanently drop Bowser for Ganondorf if tonight wasn't a fluke. He is far better than Bowser with customs, IMO.

The only move I am not set on is his neutral B. They all kind of suck. What were your thoughts on the AoE warlock punch?

The custom counters are all a bit OP, but what makes that one really painful is the follow-up Dair. Once you killed me from 0% with that. I was pretty pissed.

I figured I wasn't surviving anyway, so I decided to try the other custom up B. WOAH, super armor on a recovery move? I am never looking back.

I saved that last match between us, haha. I was starting to get tired, and I am trying to learn to stop when my interest wanes. Otherwise I start losing a lot and feel irritable.

Your Robin has gotten pretty fantastic since the last time we played. Lots of nice setups. I think I might permanently drop Bowser for Ganondorf if tonight wasn't a fluke. He is far better than Bowser with customs, IMO.

The only move I am not set on is his neutral B. They all kind of suck. What were your thoughts on the AoE warlock punch?
I don't know doesn't seem worth it, but his regular nuetral b is soo slow. Do you think you'll dabble in Robin a little more? Shame you're dropping Bowser, but if he's a struggle to play with then it's not worth going through the pain. You still keeping Palutena?

Ugh of course you're saving that last match hahaha :/. Good gimping though... GGS though our games are always fun for me.

I don't know doesn't seem worth it, but his regular nuetral b is soo slow. Do you think you'll dabble in Robin a little more? Shame you're dropping Bowser, but if he's a struggle to play with then it's not worth going through the pain. You still keeping Palutena?

Ugh of course you're saving that last match hahaha :/. Good gimping though... GGS though our games are always fun for me.
I actually had a lot of fun tonight, contrary to our last set.

I think Bowser is solid, but he doesn't get much out of customs. Ganondorf goes from crap to good with them, though.

My problem with Palutena is that half of her attacks aren't even usable. Worst tilts in the game? Possibly. I might play her here and there, but I like to focus on one character.

I wanted to try Robin, but I didn't dig him as much as I thought. I like his ranged Nosferatu, though. You can actually Arcfire, and if it is blocked, land the ranged Nos. before the fire ends. It is really nice.

I might still go with Mewtwo when he releases, but for ranbat Season 2 I am probably maining Ganondorf.

I actually had a lot of fun tonight, contrary to our last set.

I think Bowser is solid, but he doesn't get much out of customs. Ganondorf goes from crap to good with them, though.

My problem with Palutena is that half of her attacks aren't even usable. Worst tilts in the game? Possibly. I might play her here and there, but I like to focus on one character.

I wanted to try Robin, but I didn't dig him as much as I thought. I like his ranged Nosferatu, though. You can actually Arcfire, and if it is blocked, land the ranged Nos. before the fire ends. It is really nice.

I might still go with Mewtwo when he releases, but for ranbat Season 2 I am probably maining Ganondorf.
Yah I agree with you on Palutena. You mostly just go for throws, jabs, jab resets, hop jump f-air, up smash, and zone with something, up-air. D-tilt is good, but compared to most tilts it is average. I've actually tried incorporting jab reset to up smash, but that's like super risky. I think with Robin it takes a little getting used to him/her, because I hated his/her slowness at first, but I adjusted.

I think if Ganondorf had a jab combo, he'd probably be mid or upper mid-tier (because then you could deal with rolls, and faster characters easier)... But the struggle will be real when you run into Sheiks and Diddy's (and Sonic). I think I'm too used to playing mid-tiers with gaffers that I'm afraid what will happen when I fight a really good Sonic, Sheik, or Diddy.

edit: And sadly I don't have any of Robin's custom 2's unlocked, so I can't try your strat..

Yah I agree with you on Palutena. You mostly just go for throws, jabs, jab resets, hop jump f-air, up smash, and zone with something, up-air. D-tilt is good, but compared to most tilts it is average. I've actually tried incorporting jab reset to up smash, but that's like super risky. I think with Robin it takes a little getting used to him/her, because I hated his/her slowness at first, but I adjusted.

I think if Ganondorf had a jab combo, he'd probably be mid or upper mid-tier (because then you could deal with rolls, and faster characters easier)... But the struggle will be real when you run into Sheiks and Diddy's (and Sonic). I think I'm too used to playing mid-tiers with gaffers that I'm afraid what will happen when I fight a really good Sonic, Sheik, or Diddy.

edit: And sadly I don't have any of Robin's custom 2's unlocked, so I can't try your strat..
Robin has great customs, get them!

I don't hate Robin's speed, I am just not a fan of charging tomes. I like to get right in on the action.

Cronox

Banned
Wow, that's amazing! I think I might have to invest in one of those for the future, and look into switches too. Would you say it takes up a lot of space on an outlet?

That's the one thing, it needs to be plugged into a wall, not through a surge protector or anything, that'll screw it up. So you either commit to using one wall plug on it, or buy a model that has a plug on the back. In my place I generally have two sets of plugs or more per room so I haven't run into issues.

Feedback on the YouTube video, by time:
0:03: Air dodges are unsafe unless special cancel. Unless the opponent is super far away (not this case), I think you should commit to one. Fortress or Fire Breath would have been fine here.

I never even think to use fire breath out of the short hop air dodge setup. I could integrate this more, thanks for reminding me. In this case I suppose I settled for resetting the neutral. Flame breath seems like it would be the right choice, but bouncing fish gives me pause...

0:05: Get out of the habit of rolling backward. Even if it's safe (which is debatable here), you are giving up ground. When we play, I feel like I consistently corner you because you don't mind your positioning. Then, in the corner, you end up getting opened up. Check out how this follows up...

Yeah, I suppose I'm stuck in a mindset in regards to positioning that isn't helping me. Basically, I stay near the edges with some idea of catching the other player in a shield grab and throwing them off the edge and into my edge-guarding routine, or hitting them forward, giving me plenty of stage room for follow-ups. I do often multi-fair people across the stage - in a slower, more cumbersome/escapeable version of what that Shiek was doing to me - but it's true that this high-risk/high-possible-reward strategy on the whole doesn't work against good players and gets me punished. Taking a 50-50 risk while at a disadvantage probably isn't a great idea.

I was thinking about this as I was driving earlier (I should probably be thinking about other things really...). I think I have something holding me back in Smash play, from years of being the best player among my group of friends. I never have been a play to win type of player, I was already winning without having to try too hard, and if I wanted to have people to keep playing with I couldn't just humiliate my friends in competitive games, so I've always held back in an attempt to make battles a little more even. I do this in random battles all the time - sometimes I just don't edge guard if I feel like I have a good lead in place, if the other person is trying to wall me out with projectiles I decide to practice my perfect shielding on them for a bit instead of attacking... Sometimes I don't even feel like I'm in control of it, I play worse the worse my opponent is... I've been doing this shit since I got an SNES as a kid. There's some sort of equalizing spirit here that just doesn't work when I go to a tournament and should be playing ruthlessly. Before I got on-stream I almost let someone I was fighting get a comeback because I decided to drop pressure and let them dictate the pace of the match, for no competitively explainable reason.

0:21: You go for a jump into side B. It's a great way to open up a defensive opponent, but your opponent is super offensive. You're a sitting duck the entire time in the air, and you get hit as a result.

1:02: SH Nair? -_-

Ha actually a flub on my part. Both of those were nairs actually. The first time was kind of a brain fart, couldn't decide which attack to throw out.

0:55: Check out this Fortress. Did you even have a good reason to Fortress? No, but it worked! Why did it work? It worked because your opponent has seen you do little more than block or roll so far. He is overconfident, and feels he can be endlessly aggressive against you. I honestly think you need to be using Fortress more. Fortress is the move that makes opponents scared to approach you. It creates the second guess that you need to be offensive (which Bowser is not good at, IMO).

I agree, with the caveat that move variety is still important. At some point he was expecting it from me.

1:11: Sheik comes down on you, and you block. You try for something...maybe a shield grab? The video is a bit blurry. Either way, THIS is your Fortress opportunity. Pretty much any blocked aerial can be punished by an OoS Fortress.

That was an ftilt. Would have worked against many characters, not Shiek though :( Need to practice my OoS fortresses again, I've been getting lazy and just dropping shield instead of jumping to shield cancel.

Something I noticed that you didn't point out is my habit of not airdodging out of the "I got hit" falling animation. It's what got my second stock taken away. I airdodged right before hitting the ground because I didn't want to get hit during the vulnerable frames of the tech getup, and got hit with the bouncing fish for it. I had all the time while I was coming down to air dodge and land on the ground properly... Ugh.

A Bowser thought outside of the context of this match: I think more can be gotten out of Bowser's dair. It's great for catching someone while you're just below as they falling down, and I've been doing a little training with landing his spike. There is a small area of the edge of the stages where Bowser can spike an opponent with dair without dying himself. It's dangerous if you go over the edge with them accidentally, if you're on your last stock along with them, Bowser will die first if they're at low percentage. I know 40% on the opponent leads to Bowser dying first, not entirely sure at what point they die before him. Probably after 70% or so. I went to training and practiced spiking a Dedede, but I think this is particularly good in the Luigi matchup, among others. When Luigi uses his tornado to recover, he usually goes above the ledge since he won't snap to it until the animation finishes. In that moment, a short hop dair should spike him and end his stock. An easy enough way to prevent Bowser from SD'ing is to move him up to the point where he's in that balancing on the edge animation, jumping straight up and coming down. I've spiked people without dying in a FG match, but it's actual difficult to train meaningfully against those players, as they rarely air dodge.

On a good player who expects to air dodge through Bowser's fair as they recover from above, baiting that out and dairing could end their stock. If they're a character that can challenge Bowser's fair, Bowser could jump towards them into an airdodge to dair. I think there's still a way to get some use out of that spike, even if the setup is a specific one. It doesn't have to be on the ledge, bouncing people off the ground with the spike is fun too...

Fun fights, that Shiek was reaaaaally good, that's just years of experience, and even the commentators acknowledged how good you did. As you said you left yourself open in a few times and I think you should've sticked to bowser. That time when you changed from using the up b to the claw out of shield and he spot dodged it was pretty insane on his part, but overall you had some solid play. Can't give you any advice really but I guess using fair to not let him short hop so easily might've worked better, it's just such a hard match up.

Thanks for the sympathy. (not being sarcastic)

Four fixes I would love for Bowser:
1) Up B reversal works (unique and awful disability).
2) Klaw doesn't whiff at point blank range (what is a grab?).
3) Fortress doesn't randomly throw people out of it (wtf why?).
4) Klaw should not kill Bowser first (I shouldn't be penalized for hitting you).

Yeah these would be the best 4 things that could happen. Whiffed klaws make no sense to me and happen all the time cause I'm klaw-happy. I find that people generally get thrown out more when I get them with a fortress as they come down above me. I feel like people generally stay in it or get tripped when I initiate as we're both standing. Maybe a thing where if they're sitting at the top of fortress they can DI out of it? Anecdotal though.

Tbh I think the game hasn't been played enough without customs. Customs aren't meant to be balanced at all so it's pretty silly to allow them for the first EVO whilst the game is still new and fresh. I could understand using them in later tourneys if the game starts to become stale.

We'll see what happens at Evo. Customs give many characters offensive tools to break through campy players' various bs, it should make matches more entertaining to watch at least.

Decided to check my fighters records

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0118u88.jpg

I didn't expect it to be that big of a gap between my main and secondaries (Zard and Doc) lol.

Boney

Banned
Has this been posted? Pikachu tutorial by LoF NAKAT

As a Pikachu sub, learned quite a bit and I recommend watching for those who want to learn Pika! :D
Pikachu is such an insane character, I really think it's between him and Shiek as the best in the game, as shown in the video, there's almost no end lag in all of his attacks, his fair can combo into smashes, has probably the best edge guarding in the game and he can shrink his already tiny hurtbox.

Also, Direct_Quote: is it just me, or did Dorf's Dair ignore Lucina's counter? At first I thought I must have hit you right after the active frames, but it just kept happening, so I am less sure now.

And Re: customs. We know who the best and worst characters are right now. Customs take some of the worst characters and makes them viable. That alone justifies their inclusion.

That's the one thing, it needs to be plugged into a wall, not through a surge protector or anything, that'll screw it up. So you either commit to using one wall plug on it, or buy a model that has a plug on the back. In my place I generally have two sets of plugs or more per room so I haven't run into issues.

I never even think to use fire breath out of the short hop air dodge setup. I could integrate this more, thanks for reminding me. In this case I suppose I settled for resetting the neutral. Flame breath seems like it would be the right choice, but bouncing fish gives me pause...

Yeah, I suppose I'm stuck in a mindset in regards to positioning that isn't helping me. Basically, I stay near the edges with some idea of catching the other player in a shield grab and throwing them off the edge and into my edge-guarding routine, or hitting them forward, giving me plenty of stage room for follow-ups. I do often multi-fair people across the stage - in a slower, more cumbersome/escapeable version of what that Shiek was doing to me - but it's true that this high-risk/high-possible-reward strategy on the whole doesn't work against good players and gets me punished. Taking a 50-50 risk while at a disadvantage probably isn't a great idea.

I was thinking about this as I was driving earlier (I should probably be thinking about other things really...). I think I have something holding me back in Smash play, from years of being the best player among my group of friends. I never have been a play to win type of player, I was already winning without having to try too hard, and if I wanted to have people to keep playing with I couldn't just humiliate my friends in competitive games, so I've always held back in an attempt to make battles a little more even. I do this in random battles all the time - sometimes I just don't edge guard if I feel like I have a good lead in place, if the other person is trying to wall me out with projectiles I decide to practice my perfect shielding on them for a bit instead of attacking... Sometimes I don't even feel like I'm in control of it, I play worse the worse my opponent is... I've been doing this shit since I got an SNES as a kid. There's some sort of equalizing spirit here that just doesn't work when I go to a tournament and should be playing ruthlessly. Before I got on-stream I almost let someone I was fighting get a comeback because I decided to drop pressure and let them dictate the pace of the match, for no competitively explainable reason.

Ha actually a flub on my part. Both of those were nairs actually. The first time was kind of a brain fart, couldn't decide which attack to throw out.

I agree, with the caveat that move variety is still important. At some point he was expecting it from me.

That was an ftilt. Would have worked against many characters, not Shiek though :( Need to practice my OoS fortresses again, I've been getting lazy and just dropping shield instead of jumping to shield cancel.

Something I noticed that you didn't point out is my habit of not airdodging out of the "I got hit" falling animation. It's what got my second stock taken away. I airdodged right before hitting the ground because I didn't want to get hit during the vulnerable frames of the tech getup, and got hit with the bouncing fish for it. I had all the time while I was coming down to air dodge and land on the ground properly... Ugh.

A Bowser thought outside of the context of this match: I think more can be gotten out of Bowser's dair. It's great for catching someone while you're just below as they falling down, and I've been doing a little training with landing his spike. There is a small area of the edge of the stages where Bowser can spike an opponent with dair without dying himself. It's dangerous if you go over the edge with them accidentally, if you're on your last stock along with them, Bowser will die first if they're at low percentage. I know 40% on the opponent leads to Bowser dying first, not entirely sure at what point they die before him. Probably after 70% or so. I went to training and practiced spiking a Dedede, but I think this is particularly good in the Luigi matchup, among others. When Luigi uses his tornado to recover, he usually goes above the ledge since he won't snap to it until the animation finishes. In that moment, a short hop dair should spike him and end his stock. An easy enough way to prevent Bowser from SD'ing is to move him up to the point where he's in that balancing on the edge animation, jumping straight up and coming down. I've spiked people without dying in a FG match, but it's actual difficult to train meaningfully against those players, as they rarely air dodge.

On a good player who expects to air dodge through Bowser's fair as they recover from above, baiting that out and dairing could end their stock. If they're a character that can challenge Bowser's fair, Bowser could jump towards them into an airdodge to dair. I think there's still a way to get some use out of that spike, even if the setup is a specific one. It doesn't have to be on the ledge, bouncing people off the ground with the spike is fun too...

Thanks for the sympathy. (not being sarcastic)

Yeah these would be the best 4 things that could happen. Whiffed klaws make no sense to me and happen all the time cause I'm klaw-happy. I find that people generally get thrown out more when I get them with a fortress as they come down above me. I feel like people generally stay in it or get tripped when I initiate as we're both standing. Maybe a thing where if they're sitting at the top of fortress they can DI out of it? Anecdotal though.

We'll see what happens at Evo. Customs give many characters offensive tools to break through campy players' various bs, it should make matches more entertaining to watch at least.
I Dair a lot as Bowser. Fantastic and underrated move. Especially right after air dodging through an aerial pursuit.

Get that Play To Win mindset!

The answer to "which aerial should I use" after a SH is always "fair". Nair is only for air juggles. Nothing else.

Ecto311

Anyone have good examples of Smash trophies? I am looking to make one for a small tournament in my house and looking for examples of what I could make. Thinking of getting one of the million Mario amiibos out there and painting it silver and putting it on a block of wood with a small engraved plate. Not sure what else I could do. My brother has a mill that can do aluminum so I could 3d model something to make also.

Gilbals

Banned
Anyone have good examples of Smash trophies? I am looking to make one for a small tournament in my house and looking for examples of what I could make. Thinking of getting one of the million Mario amiibos out there and painting it silver and putting it on a block of wood with a small engraved plate. Not sure what else I could do. My brother has a mill that can do aluminum so I could 3d model something to make also.

That but better :D

Inotti

So I bought SSB Wii U yesterday and one of the first this I did was trying the online game. What the f is with this massive lag? Never had any problems with other games but SSB online is soo laggy that it's pretty much unplayable! And what's the point with SSB if you can't play it with others...? Please say I am doing something wrong and it's not like this with everyone? I did not buy this to play it alone offline.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to find out who's going to wreck my shit in season 2 ranbats. I want to break SteveYB's record

So I bought SSB Wii U yesterday and one of the first this I did was trying the online game. What the f is with this massive lag? Never had any problems with other games but SSB online is soo laggy that it's pretty much unplayable! And what's the point with SSB if you can't play it with others...? Please say I am doing something wrong and it's not like this with everyone? I did not buy this to play it alone offline.

If it's something constant, in all likelyhood there is problem on your end, not the game. Most of us have really good matches with little lag.

Ricky 7

Depends on both players connections. Majority of my games are lagless because of my good connection but occasionally I'll play against someone with an unplayable connection.

Nabster92

If you don't have one already, getting a LAN adapter should help. If your Wii U isn't somewhere that can be wired easily, you could try the option posted by Cronox earlier: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153977990&postcount=11915

oh lord, please don't remind me of smash tournament trophies

Inotti

After complaining it started working perfectly lol. I guess it paired me with different region players earlier or just with someone with very bad connection. Glad to see the problem wasn't with my connection.

Also, Direct_Quote: is it just me, or did Dorf's Dair ignore Lucina's counter? At first I thought I must have hit you right after the active frames, but it just kept happening, so I am less sure now.
Yes that happened several times lol. I think it could be the later, but you'd have to test it because I don't know the exact properties of that counter custom.

Boney

Banned
After complaining it started working perfectly lol. I guess it paired me with different region players earlier or just with someone with very bad connection. Glad to see the problem wasn't with my connection.
Good to know, I had the exact same scare when I got it, especially because I'm South American and SFIV worked like ass. But ie sorted itself out and I'm having a great pleasant connection most of the time, even with Japanese players

People will always say the game "isn't ready for customs" until they are implemented.

My soundtrack cd came in the mail today. :3

FUCK THAT STICKERBRUSH SYMPHONY REMIX I KNOW IT'S FROM BRAWL BUT IT'S SO GOOOOOOOD

Oh yeah the songs are all the 2-minute versions you'd hear in the sound test, so that's probably one way they got to fit 36 in each disc.

Boney

Banned
Just got wrecked so bad by a godly DDD, he was just insane. I guess my problem was respecting the Gordos a little bit too much instead of trying to send them back more aggressively, but holy shit he was so good in stage and off stage.

What a cool character.

Anyone looking to play?

I created the Season 2 bracket and invited everyone, but please do not play your matches until I can update the rules for this season.

Just got wrecked so bad by a godly DDD, he was just insane. I guess my problem was respecting the Gordos a little bit too much instead of trying to send them back more aggressively, but holy shit he was so good in stage and off stage.

What a cool character.

Anyone looking to play?
Maybe in a bit.

Hey, that e-mail you provided in the sign-up doesn't work. Can you PM me a different one?

Later tonight yah, kind of busy right now though (or trying to focus , don't want to get off task >_<)..
Focusing on what? :-O

Boney

Banned
I created the Season 2 bracket and invited everyone, but please do not play your matches until I can update the rules for this season.

Maybe in a bit.

Hey, that e-mail you provided in the sign-up doesn't work. Can you PM me a different one?

Focusing on what? :-O

Sure let me know when you're down to play. I'll pm you a different email now.
Anyone wanna play? Gotta do something until I watch Precure with /pc/. ID is HarimeNui.

I'm game, make the room

Four fixes I would love for Bowser:
1) Up B reversal works (unique and awful disability).
2) Klaw doesn't whiff at point blank range (what is a grab?).
3) Fortress doesn't randomly throw people out of it (wtf why?).
4) Klaw should not kill Bowser first (I shouldn't be penalized for hitting you).

If it killed the opponent first, a last-stock 200% Bowser could KO a last-stock 0% opponent, winning the match despite clearly losing... That would be too lopsided.

SMASHGAF RANBATS – SEASON TWO
The brackets should be all set up. Every player should be able to edit the results for the bracket. If you are unable to edit your bracket, please let me know and I will fix it.

The results of the first round are due by next Sunday, March 7th.

YOU MAY START!

BRACKETS:
Link:
http://tinyurl.com/ok8z7re

SETUP:
• Each player belongs to a bracket.
• Player names are listed as GAFNAME(NNID).
• Each week, you are responsible for playing one new person – of your choice - in your bracket by Sunday night.
• Record the score in Google Spreadsheets using the invitation you were provided with.
o 1 = Winner.
o 0 = Loser.
o The horizontal cells from your name are your score; the vertical is for reference against who you played against.
• The format is Round Robin – everyone plays everyone in their bracket once.

IN-GAME RULES:
• First to 5 wins takes the set.
• 1v1.
• Customs are legal, items and equipment are not.
• Either player may switch characters between matches.
• 2-stock with a 5-minute timer.
• In-game mechanics result in the stage decision (each player picks; game decides).
• Legal stage list:

All For Glory Stages
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Skyloft
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino
Duck Hunt
Wuhu Island

GENERAL EXPECTATIONS:
• Be honest.
• Be respectful.
• Be responsible.

GROUNDS FOR REMOVAL:
• Dishonest score reports.
• Disrespectful conduct.
• Consistent failure to play matches on time.
• Consistent complaints about connection quality.

FAQ:
What should I do to try and find my matches?
PM people on NeoGAF! Try to work out times instead of hoping it all works out.

What if my opponent and I are having trouble making our match happen within the one-week period?
You have a two-week grade period to play each match, but do your best to play your match within the one-week period provided. If you do not play a match one week, you must play two the next to catch up.

Why is <Insert Rule> the case instead of <Insert Other Rule>?
Everything exists as it does because I feel it is a good policy. Nothing is cut into diamond, however, and if the majority player base feels a policy change is needed, I fully welcome discussion on the issue.

Can I join late?
Unless someone drops out mid-season, you will have to wait until the next season begins. There is no player cap, however, so you will be welcome to join when the next season begins.

Can I play ahead, or even finish my entire season right away?
Sure, go for it! I encourage this, actually.

Should I wire my connection?
Hell yes you should!

How were the brackets decided?
I tried to match people based on their results from the previous season. New players were given their own bracket. However, in the interest of having an even bracket spread, some new players were added to the lowest bracket level. This seemed more fair than giving them spots in higher ranked brackets.

What were the survey results?
Customs: 14 Yes, 6 No, 10 No Opinion
Halberd Legal: 21 Yes, 6 No, 3 No Opinion
Skyloft Legal: 18 Yes, 9 No, 3 No Opinion

The match length votes were:
13 in favor of FT5, 3 Stock.
10 in favor of FT5, 2 Stock.

The rest were all dispersed among the various other options. Given that these other options are all shorter than a FT5, 3 Stock, and that the Evo ruleset is 2 Stocks, I decided to cut matches down by 1 stock this season. This will help alleviate some time burden from longer sets, will ensure that ranbat play is better tuned for Evo relevancy, and will be more pleasing to the majority of the players involved.

I was banned last season. Is that ban permanent?
Banned players will be given a second, probationary chance to play in the ranbats after being prohibited from participation for one season. If the probationary player is banned, it will then become permanent.

If it killed the opponent first, a last-stock 200% Bowser could KO a last-stock 0% opponent, winning the match despite clearly losing... That would be too lopsided.
The control over Klaw is split between the two players based on %. A 200% Bowser vs. a 0% opponent would have almost no control over the Klaw's direction, so there's no danger of a SD unless the 0% player falls asleep or wants to lose.

SMASHGAF RANBATS &#8211; SEASON TWO
The brackets should be all set up. Every player should be able to edit the results for the bracket. If you are unable to edit your bracket, please let me know and I will fix it.

The results of the first round are due by next Sunday, March 7th.

YOU MAY START!

BRACKETS:
Link:
http://tinyurl.com/ok8z7re

SETUP:
&#8226; Each player belongs to a bracket.
&#8226; Player names are listed as GAFNAME(NNID).
&#8226; Each week, you are responsible for playing one new person &#8211; of your choice - in your bracket by Sunday night.
&#8226; Record the score in Google Spreadsheets using the invitation you were provided with.
o 1 = Winner.
o 0 = Loser.
o The horizontal cells from your name are your score; the vertical is for reference against who you played against.
&#8226; The format is Round Robin &#8211; everyone plays everyone in their bracket once.

IN-GAME RULES:
&#8226; First to 5 wins takes the set.
&#8226; 1v1.
&#8226; Customs are legal, items and equipment are not.
&#8226; Either player may switch characters between matches.
&#8226; 2-stock with a 5-minute timer.
&#8226; In-game mechanics result in the stage decision (each player picks; game decides).
&#8226; Legal stage list:

All For Glory Stages
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Skyloft
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino
Duck Hunt
Wuhu Island

GENERAL EXPECTATIONS:
&#8226; Be honest.
&#8226; Be respectful.
&#8226; Be responsible.

GROUNDS FOR REMOVAL:
&#8226; Dishonest score reports.
&#8226; Disrespectful conduct.
&#8226; Consistent failure to play matches on time.
&#8226; Consistent complaints about connection quality.

FAQ:
What should I do to try and find my matches?
PM people on NeoGAF! Try to work out times instead of hoping it all works out.

What if my opponent and I are having trouble making our match happen within the one-week period?
You have a two-week grade period to play each match, but do your best to play your match within the one-week period provided. If you do not play a match one week, you must play two the next to catch up.

Why is <Insert Rule> the case instead of <Insert Other Rule>?
Everything exists as it does because I feel it is a good policy. Nothing is cut into diamond, however, and if the majority player base feels a policy change is needed, I fully welcome discussion on the issue.

Can I join late?
Unless someone drops out mid-season, you will have to wait until the next season begins. There is no player cap, however, so you will be welcome to join when the next season begins.

Can I play ahead, or even finish my entire season right away?
Sure, go for it! I encourage this, actually.

Should I wire my connection?
Hell yes you should!

How were the brackets decided?
I tried to match people based on their results from the previous season. New players were given their own bracket. However, in the interest of having an even bracket spread, some new players were added to the lowest bracket level. This seemed more fair than giving them spots in higher ranked brackets.

What were the survey results?
Customs: 14 Yes, 6 No, 10 No Opinion
Halberd Legal: 21 Yes, 6 No, 3 No Opinion
Skyloft Legal: 18 Yes, 9 No, 3 No Opinion

The match length votes were:
13 in favor of FT5, 3 Stock.
10 in favor of FT5, 2 Stock.

The rest were all dispersed among the various other options. Given that these other options are all shorter than a FT5, 3 Stock, and that the Evo ruleset is 2 Stocks, I decided to cut matches down by 1 stock this season. This will help alleviate some time burden from longer sets, will ensure that ranbat play is better tuned for Evo relevancy, and will be more pleasing to the majority of the players involved.

I was banned last season. Is that ban permanent?
Banned players will be given a second, probationary chance to play in the ranbats after being prohibited from participation for one season. If the probationary player is banned, it will then become permanent.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I can play any bracket 5 player anytime monday, 09-16gmt+1, or after 21gmt+1

Pm me :)

Top Bottom