• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I made a gif of that sad portion of the battle enforced haha
BigDemandingCaterpillar.gif

Could have recovered with a side-b :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Master Core is sooo annoying. I always need two or three continues to beat it

Bumhat

I finally got round to picking up Smash yesterday afternoon and honestly I am overwhelmed by the amount of options/game modes. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should start?

one_kill

What are the yellow tickets in Master Orders?

I finally got round to picking up Smash yesterday afternoon and honestly I am overwhelmed by the amount of options/game modes. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should start?
Unlock characters first
Unlock stages
Do challenges in sets (e.g., Home Run challenges, 10-Man, etc.)
While you're doing challenges, run through Classic and All-Star from time-to-time

And be sure to customise your controls

Golnei

Anyone know when the ost will ship?

Sadly, it seems you'll have to wait until sometime in March. Though in the meantime, there are several complete lossless rips available, as well as the Harmony of Heroes project and its expansion.

Master Core is sooo annoying. I always need two or three continues to beat it

Especially when Master Fortress is taken into account. I have to wonder whether that was implemented at the last minute using scraps of a half-finished adventure mode, because it's a pretty arbitrary addition on its own.

Depends on your prior experience with the series, but I'd generally recommend doing a few 1v1 matches with low or no items to get familiar with the controls / your preferred controller setup, then going through Classic. Also, it might be a good idea to use the challenge board to provide smaller goals for your progress within the side modes.

Synless

I asked before and did not see an answer. What is the quickest way to get CDs?

Also, anyone else feel like many of the stages in this game are ruined by boss characters rolling in? The Metroid and megaman stages in particular make me want to hurt people.

Forkball

I had a strange sudden death bout. I was Villager against a Charizard. He revs up his Flare Blitz and gets it off before I can hope on my lloid. I pull out my lloid about a millisecond before he hits me (it makes the sound), and both of us are apparently hit. We instantly fly off the screen and I hear two KO sounds, yet it still shows me as surviving with 315%. I have no idea how we both managed to get hit even though the lloid wasn't even fully out yet, or how I even survived. Oh well, it was funny and I got a win.

Also I must be getting close to grabbing all the CDs. I got five of "Bowser's Galaxy Generator" in Crazy Order. I know I need Hyrule Main Theme and I'm not sure what else. I really want to delay getting that Smash Tour achievement in Metroid as long as possible.

Got the game for Chrismas...its my first Suoer Smash ever! I dont even know what Im doing. Is there an video where they explain the game?
How to play. Leave the game at the title screen and it's one of the 3 things that may play.

I have finally impulse bought the game + a Wii Pro Controller.
I'm really bad at it though like always, there is something about Jump being Up that makes my brain go crazy. I also never manage to hit with Smash attacks.

Is there a tutorial I can do and learn all the mechanics correctly?
You can disable that... I prefer playing with the GameCube controller, which can use X and Y to jump. I use X.

Hey guys, so im about to goto target and do their buy 1 get 1 40% off deal.

I am planning on getting Smash pricematched with Frys first though (40 bucks).

We are having a little get together and I need FOUR controllers. I was reading online that you can use a myriad of devices as controllers.

Currently, I have a Gamepad and a 3DS with a copy of smash. So that should be 2, right? Then I can use 2 wiimotes as well, right? Or do I need something else? Will I need the sensor bar to be able to play using the wiimotes (without nunchucks)?

Also - Anyone have any issues pricematching Frys at Target?
Hypothetically those controllers will allow people to play the game. Whether they have fun or not will depend on whether they can stand using the Wiimote.

Got a WiiU 2 days ago and finally jumped on the new smash boat. Sadly I'm terrible haha. Getting destroyed online. Guess I should have really put in some work on single player before facing real people :/ Just lost like 6 in a row to a captain falcon who would put me from 0 to 50 so quick.
Play some local matches against other people who don't know how to play. Teach each other strategies you discover.

I had a strange sudden death bout. I was Villager against a Charizard. He revs up his Flare Blitz and gets it off before I can hope on my lloid. I pull out my lloid about a millisecond before he hits me (it makes the sound), and both of us are apparently hit. We instantly fly off the screen and I hear two KO sounds, yet it still shows me as surviving with 315%. I have no idea how we both managed to get hit even though the lloid wasn't even fully out yet, or how I even survived. Oh well, it was funny and I got a win.

Also I must be getting close to grabbing all the CDs. I got five of "Bowser's Galaxy Generator" in Crazy Order. I know I need Hyrule Main Theme and I'm not sure what else. I really want to delay getting that Smash Tour achievement in Metroid as long as possible.
I had played I believe 10 full games before I got the Metroid challenge.

Crayolan

zlCfzSzmY94Zklg_xT

Finally done. The headgear was the worst, I probably should've done that before custom moves since I got so many duplicate customs in the process of getting the last 3 hats I was missing.

This is the first time I've ever "completed" as a Smash Bros game. And with no hammers too. Feels good.

Ricky 7

I asked before and did not see an answer. What is the quickest way to get CDs?

Also, anyone else feel like many of the stages in this game are ruined by boss characters rolling in? The Metroid and megaman stages in particular make me want to hurt people.
Master Orders and Crazy Orders. Crazy orders is better, by turn 10 you should have like 3 CDs.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm playing the game with the GameCube controller on my monitor. Is there any way to turn the screen of the Wii U gamepad off without having to get another gamepad out? If I turn it off from the Home Menu overlay, the GameCube controller is not recognized on an OS-level, it seems, so I can't get back to the game. I have to use another gamepad (Wii U Pro or Wiimote) to dismiss that menu and go back to the main game!

RomanceDawn

zlCfzSzmY94Zklg_xT

Finally done. The headgear was the worst, I probably should've done that before custom moves since I got so many duplicate customs in the process of getting the last 3 hats I was missing.

This is the first time I've ever "completed" as a Smash Bros game. And with no hammers too. Feels good.

Good job I'm at about 118 with no hammers so far. I need help on Shulk All Star in 6 minutes, 20 Crazy Orders as Mario, and playing Classic with Marth on 9.0(I think without losing a life). Any tips at all?

one_kill

Good job I'm at about 118 with no hammers so far. I need help on Shulk All Star in 6 minutes, 20 Crazy Orders as Mario, and playing Classic with Marth on 9.0(I think without losing a life). Any tips at all?
With Shulk's challenge, just play on easy
Do his side and up smash attacks

You don't need to do any more

Flare Blitz makes an explosion that hits everything around it, that's why.

Son Of D

With Shulk, just use Buster fast and hit them, then use Smash Art to send them flying. You might be fine just using Smash. I did it in 5m59s on easy with the Buster+Smash strategy. Not looking forward to the Jigglypuff version.

And the Marth 9.0 is under 12 minutes, but you can use equipment for that if you're comfortable doing such things.

Crayolan

For Shulk All Star, you just gotta use the basic Buster>Smash strategy. When you start a round, switch to buster immediately, get each CPU up to 70~80%, then switch to smash and kill them all in one hit with a smash attack. Side Smash is your best friend. Once that group of 3 dies, rinse and repeat.

For Crazy Orders, use custom equipment as it's pretty much impossible as vanilla Mario (there's no way you wouldn't run out of time). I recommend using badge which gives you temporary invincibility on first strike, a vampire badge which recovers health as you physically damage your opponent, and your strongest attack boosting badge. Even better if the other 2 also boost attack, but they don't have to. Then once you're actually doing the crazy orders, always go for the 1v1s if possible (even if metal or giant) since those are basically free wins provided you get the first strike invincibility. Horde battles are also typically pretty easy, but can be a pain on the later turns. Once you finally get to crazy hand, be aware that you only get the first strike invincibility by hitting the CPU's in the battle, not crazy/master hand themselves.

For Marth Classic, good luck. The real strategy is just "git gud", but something I didn't think of is using custom equipment for it. That might help, but I don't really know what would be best for Marth. I managed to do it with vanilla Marth, it just took a really long, excruciating time is all. Also you can lose a life in the challenge, you just can't get a game over (since that will lower your difficulty from 9.0).

Is there a reason people aren't using hammers?

Bragging rights. Completing all the challenges with hammers is really impressive, but doing it without hammers is fucking amazing. Plus I have 5 little gold trophies to line my challenge wall.

I still have plenty of respect for anyone who did it with hammers though.

Except if you hammer 9.0 classic no customs, that ain't cool.

RomanceDawn

For Shulk All Star, you just gotta use the basic Buster>Smash strategy. When you start a round, switch to buster immediately, get each CPU up to 70~80%, then switch to smash and kill them all in one hit with a smash attack. Side Smash is your best friend. Once that group of 3 dies, rinse and repeat.

For Crazy Orders, use custom equipment as it's pretty much impossible as vanilla Mario (there's no way you wouldn't run out of time). I recommend using badge which gives you temporary invincibility on first strike, a vampire badge which recovers health as you physically damage your opponent, and your strongest attack boosting badge. Even better if the other 2 also boost attack, but they don't have to. Then once you're actually doing the crazy orders, always go for the 1v1s if possible (even if metal or giant) since those are basically free wins provided you get the first strike invincibility. Horde battles are also typically pretty easy, but can be a pain on the later turns. Once you finally get to crazy hand, be aware that you only get the first strike invincibility by hitting the CPU's in the battle, not crazy/master hand themselves.

For Marth Classic, good luck. The real strategy is just "git gud", but something I didn't think of is using custom equipment for it. That might help, but I don't really know what would be best for Marth. I managed to do it with vanilla Marth, it just took a really long, excruciating time is all. Also you can lose a life in the challenge, you just can't get a game over (since that will lower your difficulty from 9.0).

Bragging rights. Completing all the challenges with hammers is really impressive, but doing it without hammers is fucking amazing. Plus I have 5 little gold trophies to line my challenge wall.

I still have plenty of respect for anyone who did it with hammers though.

Except if you hammer 9.0 classic no customs, that ain't cool.

Great advice thanks! So what's the best way to farm the gear and custom moves?

Crayolan

Thanks I figured as much but does the time count down in the healing room?

I'm not 100% certain as I haven't counted my times or anything but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
I loitered in the healing room a bit when doing some timed challenges and still got through fine.

Great advice thanks! So what's the best way to farm the gear and custom moves?

I found a lot of gear in master orders (on tickets very hard/intense) and crazy orders when you do a ticket with a smash logo reward.

When I got sick of getting killed by random items bullshit in Crazy Orders I got lazy and just did Target Blast with a mii for hours on end. You can just reset the mode until a custom wrench appears then hope it's something you want. I spent the last few days doing target blast while also doing something else, since target blast doesn't take much attention to get right. Also, I've heard target blast rewards are based on the fighter you used last in a different 1P mode, rather than the fighter you're currently using, so to be safe I always picked a mii in all star and suicided immediately before going to target blast (only every time I turned off the game/console, to be clear). No matter how you do it, it's gonna take really long.

If you don't get all your custom moves in the process of farming hats, I'd recommend All Star Hard with the character you need moves for. When doing hard you get a custom bag after every round and I got custom moves pretty commonly from that, maybe 50% of the time. It usually took me 1-3 All Star runthroughs (of 4+ rounds each) to get what I needed for each character. Might be more for you if you don't have many custom moves yet for whatever reason, since most of my characters only needed 1 or 2 more. And All Star becomes a lot easier when you don't need to account for the final round, since you keep all your rewards even if you die, and winning the final battle gives you nothing extra. (aside from the trophy of course).

Just make sure you save all this grinding type stuff for last; you don't want to spend all that time grinding for this stuff then find duplicates of the stuff you spent hours grinding for when doing 9.0 classic with Marth or something similar.

A whooping 300,000 coins down the drain, but I finally beat Classic at 9.0 with no deaths. Marth's counter made some parts easier, even if I'm better with my main Toon Link. Those Master Swords I could just never figure out.

Congrats. Shit's brutal. That's almost as much as I spent on 9.0 without losing a stock.

Vibed

A whooping 300,000 coins down the drain, but I finally beat Classic at 9.0 with no deaths. Marth's counter made some parts easier, even if I'm better with my main Toon Link. Those Master Blades I could just never figure out.

Comparatively, getting the "Beat 9.0 with Marth in 12 min" was easy. Took 2 tries. Beating 9.0 itself I dont find particularly frustrating, its never dying thats frustrating.

BlackJace

Man...they didn't treat Ganondorf right.

Maybe he's just not a one on one character, but he seems sort of worse than Brawl. Wizard's Foot is so wimpy now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A whooping 300,000 coins down the drain, but I finally beat Classic at 9.0 with no deaths. Marth's counter made some parts easier, even if I'm better with my main Toon Link. Those Master Blades I could just never figure out.

Comparatively, getting the "Beat 9.0 with Marth in 12 min" was easy. Took 2 tries. Beating 9.0 itself I dont find particularly frustrating, its never dying thats frustrating.

with customized character or not?

Hey guys, anyone out there have any advice for playing Link? I'm thinking of trying to use him some and was curious what the consensus is on how to play him.

Top Bottom