• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

DooD1234

It should be said that Japan's meta has slightly different rules from ours, I believe they play with a character lock and focus on omega stages mostly.

That said, how in the fuck is Falco so low :mad:
I sometimes watch SHI_Gaming (I think that the Japanese twitch stream name for their tournaments) and notice more often than not they go omega stages only. I guess Sakurai really did model For Glory after the Japanese competitive scene. Is there any word on how the Japanese scene feels about the game being too defensive or something? I like to know their opinions.

Japan constantly putting Wario at top 15 and I love it.

Ike is way too low though. That's the one big thing I disagree with. EDIT: Wait Pika and Rosa not top 10? Huh. Guessing lack of representation for Pika makes sense but Rosa?
Lack of representation as well? Even here, there's nobody besides Dabuz.

FSLink

Banned
That tier list is pretty good outside of the oddly low Rosalina/Pikachu, but that could be explained with Omega Rules only I guess? They're much better with platforms.

also lol Black Pit/Dark Pit as "Brad Pit"

jnWake

It seems my internet isn't working well today.

I have no idea how you managed to play decently with that lag haha. I was getting quite frustrated xD

DaBoss

GGs
It seems my internet isn't working well today.

I have no idea how you managed to play decently with that lag haha. I was getting quite frustrated xD
I'm from Canada, so it may just be hard to get a good connection between us.

And I was getting frustrated as well lol. I was wondering how I'm supposed to shield those eggs lol.

Though the 3rd match didn't have any stuttering and had some manageable input lag.

And Lylat Cruise will always be annoying lol. I don't know if you noticed, but my side smash got cancelled because the stage tilted.

Japanese Tier List by Rain and Nietono, two pro Brawl/Smash 4 players.

Pretty interesting.
I love that Evo encourages crossover between our cultures. Otherwise, different regions have different "tier theories" that only make sense in a vacuum.

If customs aren't taken into consideration for this list, though, I don't think it matters much.

Edit: Who is Brad Pit? Dark Pit?

Edit2: lol, "WTF" instead of "WFT".

I love that Evo encourages crossover between our cultures. Otherwise, different regions have different "tier theories" that only make sense in a vacuum.

If customs aren't taken into consideration for this list, though, I don't think it matters much.

Edit: Who is Brad Pit? Dark Pit?

Edit2: lol, "WTF" instead of "WFT".

Actually now that you mention it, I wonder how the Japanese Smash community feels about custom moves.

FSLink

Banned
With customs on I think it's more like:

S: Sheik, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Pikachu, Rosalina & Luma
A+: Villager, Yoshi, Fox, Zero Suit Samus, Mii Brawler
A: MegaMan, Wario, R.O.B., Mario, Ness, Olimar, Luigi
A-: Shulk, Peach, Pit/Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Lucario, Pac-Man, Mii Gunner, Palutena, Donkey Kong (unless he's on FD, ban Battlefield asap against a DK player guys!)
B: the rest

No one jumps at me as unviable with customs on at the moment. I know most people say Mii Swordfighter is the worst, and that may be true, but I'm not convinced he's unviable quite yet.

With customs on I think it's more like:

S: Sheik, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Pikachu, Rosalina & Luma
A+: Villager, Yoshi, Fox, Zero Suit Samus, Mii Brawler
A: MegaMan, Wario, R.O.B., Mario, Ness, Olimar, Luigi
A-: Shulk, Peach, Pit/Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Lucario, Pac-Man, Mii Gunner, Palutena, Donkey Kong (unless he's on FD, ban Battlefield asap against a DK player guys!)
B: the rest

No one jumps at me as unviable with customs on at the moment. I know most people say Mii Swordfighter is the worst, and that may be true, but I'm not convinced he's unviable quite yet.
As I've said before, there is almost nothing the Swordfighter can do that other characters can't do better. He's a shitty jack of all trades with slow normals, shit range, meh damage output, mediocre recoveries, and specials that give barely any reward for a whole lot of risk. At least he has a counter for what it's worth, but when virtually every other guy with a sword is better, including Lukina, it's difficult to make a case for using him above others.

You're welcome to prove me wrong though, and I encourage it. Just the other day I got tossed around like a ragdoll by a Gunner who was zooming around the map bombing the place. :O

FSLink

Banned
As I've said before, there is almost nothing the Swordfighter can do that other characters can't do better. He's a shitty jack of all trades with slow normals, shit range, meh damage output, mediocre recoveries, and specials that give barely any reward for a whole lot of risk. At least he has a counter for what it's worth, but when virtually every other guy with a sword is better, including Lukina, it's difficult to make a case for using him above others.

You're welcome to prove me wrong though, and I encourage it. Just the other day I got tossed around like a ragdoll by a Gunner who was zooming around the map bombing the place. :O

His specials actually aren't too bad. He gets a move similar to Mario's cape, one similar to Fox's Firefox or one that's similar to Link's up+B (with less range unfortunately), Chakram is a projectile that is like a shittier Metal Blade but has a lingering hitbox and can be smashed to go farther, and the Tornado projectile isn't too bad either.

He also has pretty good range if you make him tall.

Dair also has the interesting property of being a good spike if it doesn't land the final hit.

I dunno, I think he's probably the worst too but when you look at the tools he has, I think he's not completely hopeless. I personally use 1322 on him with a taller build, and another with a small/skinny build. But yeah he's not winning any majors or anything anytime soon lol, while I can see the other Miis taking one.

The premier Marth main over on smashboards says that Swordfighter may be better than Marth, actually.

(Emblem Lord)

jnWake

All Star mode is such a pain in the ass ;_;

I don't dislike stage hazards normally but they have screwed me up here so many times. Port Town is the worst stage ever.

The premier Marth main over on smashboards says that Swordfighter may be better than Marth, actually.

(Emblem Lord)

His specials actually aren't too bad. He gets a move similar to Mario's cape, one similar to Fox's Firefox or one that's similar to Link's up+B (with less range unfortunately), Chakram is a projectile that is like a shittier Metal Blade but has a lingering hitbox and can be smashed to go farther, and the Tornado projectile isn't too bad either.

He also has pretty good range if you make him tall.

Dair also has the interesting property of being a good spike if it doesn't land the final hit.

I dunno, I think he's probably the worst too but when you look at the tools he has, I think he's not completely hopeless. I personally use 1322 on him with a taller build, and another with a small/skinny build. But yeah he's not winning any majors or anything anytime soon lol, while I can see the other Miis taking one.

Hmm, I'd want to see evidence of Swordfighter's talents first and foremost. So far, we haven't had any notable representation, whereas the other two Mii classes get mad props (Brawler) or are respected as viable (Gunner), so we'll see.

I'm home and ready to smash, so who wants to play? :D

(Emblem Lord)
He said that because Swordfighter actually can hit confirm into a kill while Marth can't, and that's a good enough reason alone to make him better apparently.

Top Bottom