• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

vikki

What do you guys do to learn a new character as you main or side for competitive play? Is it just play each other, study other competitive players?

I wish you could set different taunts for each character. I have all 4 of mine set to Ganondorf's personality, specifically.

That's why I just changed all my taunts to something ridiculous.

What do you guys do to learn a new character as you main or side for competitive play? Is it just play each other, study other competitive players?

Steps to learning a new character:
1) Go into training mode and get all the buttons down. Learn your tilts, throws, etc.
2) Play several long sets against different opponents for a variety of experiences.
3) Upload a set or two for feedback from other people that play your character.
4) Look up any guides to your character on Youtube or Smashboards.
5) Ask who the best players of your character are; watch their matches.
6) Go back into training mode to practice potential setups and explore possibilities.
7) Do 2-6 for the rest of your time with the character.

1.) Randomly pick character while playing people
2.) After playing with character, decide if you're really feeling that character
3.) If yes, proceed to browse Smashboards for 5 minutes to see how people play as that character
4.) Continue to play with character, and gain experience

Karsticles' method is probably more efficient, but I'm not lying when I say I picked up Mario for shits and giggles, browsed Smashboards for 5 minutes, and decided to do good with him.

Meta Knight too.

Fox too, actually.

And Doc.

I don't know if I'm doing this right. ><;;;;

Guess it takes a bit of practice to get it right
Hardest character to recover with.

1.) Randomly pick character while playing people
2.) After playing with character, decide if you're really feeling that character
3.) If yes, proceed to browse Smashboards for 5 minutes to see how people play as that character
4.) Continue to play with character, and gain experience

Karsticles' method is probably more efficient, but I'm not lying when I say I picked up Mario for shits and giggles, browsed Smashboards for 5 minutes, and decided to do good with him.

Meta Knight too.

Fox too, actually.

And Doc.

I don't know if I'm doing this right. ><;;;;
Well, my week 1 Ganondorf has mostly caught up to my 5 month Bowser, so I think my method is good. :p

Hardest character to recover with.

Well, my week 1 Ganondorf has mostly caught up to my 5 month Bowser, so I think my method is good. :p
I'd upload more videos but you guys made fun of my potato cam. ;__; I-It's not my fault capture cards are $150 for a good one!

Also I should start playing Pac-Man and Charizard, they're fun. :)

Boney

Banned
Kirbys moving through the air air dodging and using his land cancelled aerials are pretty damn annoying. Thank god for screw attack
The amount of air mobility and jumps allow him to be in pretty much invincibility for a while

Blackmage, why do you never, ever, under any circumstance, use Megaman's regular buster shots?

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it is true I don't use them often. I play mostly by instinct and reaction, and the simple answer is that with my style of play they don't come naturally. What Boney said is true, but those were usually flubbed inputs.

Mega Man is clearly meant to be a keep away character, but that's not really my style of play. Deep down, I want to be aggressive and don't really care to play super defensively. Mega Man necessitates that somewhat, but once I can create a chance to get in, that's where I want to be.

Buster shots are great at keeping foes away and knocking them away from you. These just usually aren't what I want to be doing as a player. Now, I could stand to use them more, no doubt about it, but I'm not going to force them into my play either. It'll have to be something that evolves naturally. That's just how I do things. :)

SoldnerKei

I still have my Elgato HD capture card sitting in its box from Christmas. :-/

you should open that up, it's a fine capture device... sadly my laptop is not a highend gaming machine, so that means I have to record with my integrated video card, which it's pretty alright, but 1080p looks kinda blurred

I wonder who else has a capture device, we can come up with a SmashGAF community video once replay sharing is available on wii u

you should open that up, it's a fine capture device... sadly my laptop is not a highend gaming machine, so that means I have to record with my integrated video card, which it's pretty alright, but 1080p looks kinda blurred

I wonder who else has a capture device, we can come up with a SmashGAF community video once replay sharing is available on wii u

I have one, got it last month. Works fine. That does sound like a pretty cool idea.

I'd like to get one, except they're pricey pieces of tech. Anyone got recommendations for a cheap capture device that does its job?

I worry that what'll happen is that Wii U replays will get broken again if they do add replay sharing, just like with the 3DS version. :(

You should be streaming your matches with GAF or promoting Bowser on Twitch/YouTube. D:

Guys guys aMSa the red Yoshi is streaming Sm4sh. :)
I don't feel like I should stream while playing - that would harm the connection quality, yes?

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it is true I don't use them often. I play mostly by instinct and reaction, and the simple answer is that with my style of play they don't come naturally. What Boney said is true, but those were usually flubbed inputs.

Mega Man is clearly meant to be a keep away character, but that's not really my style of play. Deep down, I want to be aggressive and don't really care to play super defensively. Mega Man necessitates that somewhat, but once I can create a chance to get in, that's where I want to be.

Buster shots are great at keeping foes away and knocking them away from you. These just usually aren't what I want to be doing as a player. Now, I could stand to use them more, no doubt about it, but I'm not going to force them into my play either. It'll have to be something that evolves naturally. That's just how I do things. :)
Well, I've played at least 50 matches with you, and I've never seen a lemon on the screen. ;-)

I feel you on the "meant to be X, want to be "Y thing. I'm a Dormammu main in Marvel, and everyone said he was keepaway. I argued for the longest time that you should play him as a keepaway/rushdown hybrid in various situations. Then someone made it big with Dormammu as a rushdown character, and I didn't have to argue anymore. :-D

One thing I love about fighting games is that, if you approach the game with the right attitude, your character never stops evolving. You continually develop new habits, strategies, and approaches to situations even after years of play. That's a very rich and rewarding experience for me.

My PC is also an integrated graphics hunk of junk, and, worse, it takes ~30 minutes to start up and open Microsoft Word. I am honestly freaked about trying the Elgato HD on it. :-/ I want to buy my own laptop, but I haven't had time to do research.

I don't feel like I should stream while playing - that would harm the connection quality, yes?

My PC is also an integrated graphics hunk of junk, and, worse, it takes ~30 minutes to start up and open Microsoft Word. I am honestly freaked about trying the Elgato HD on it. :-/ I want to buy my own laptop, but I haven't had time to do research.
Well, you have a good point there, but surely you can locally record matches to upload later right?

As well, you should consider building your own PC, unless you need the portability of a laptop for work and such.
Speaking of potato cams, quitters are the worst

http://youtu.be/3kiU0ocEcw0

You should've used the "Is that all you got?" taunt on him. :p

Boney

Banned
Just make sure to taunt and then leave on his way down. ;-)
Yeah I never stay if someone quits, where the cojones
I get tons of them when I use Diddy Kong. I land one hoohah and they taunt and jump off the match.
The Worst are the diddy players who quit after you beat them and call you names

Well, you have a good point there, but surely you can locally record matches to upload later right?

As well, you should consider building your own PC, unless you need the portability of a laptop for work and such.

Didn't have time to react to him lol

FSLink

Banned
What's with Japanese players quitting immediately after one round in For Glory?

Even on my JPN account they seem to do this. Do 90% of them just care about win ratio or something?

Boney

Banned
What's with Japanese players quitting immediately after one round in For Glory?

Even on my JPN account they seem to do this. Do 90% of them just care about win ratio or something?
They almost never play against me in the first play, I guess because they fear lag

FSLink

Banned
They almost never play against me in the first play, I guess because they fear lag
Yeah, that makes sense when I'm on the US account.

But when I'm in Hawaii there's usually little to no lag, and I have a Japanese name on my JPN account, it's like wtf.

JCX

Ranbat bracket 3 people - I'm free tonight after 10 EST. Just PM me.

SoldnerKei
Captain Rage Quit
Masked Man
jnWake
SalvaPot

Boney

Banned
Something is delaying the game
Made a room, join and let's hope it's better
How was it there? It wasn't perfect but it felt a lot better on my end
Code:
Guess I don't understand the Megaman match after lol. Nice game, please keep using him, you play so different to tipster it's pretty weird

My wife and I live in a 750 sq ft house, and she is pregnant. The idea is to get rid of the PC so I can get rid of the desk it is on.

DaBoss

GGs Puruzi. It was neat seeing all of those customs.

As an aside, you probably noticed I rarely chose Battlefield. I think Smash 4's Battlefield's edges are wonky. Not telling anyone not to choose it, but explaining why I rarely choose Battlefield. Things like this happened way too many times lol: https://vine.co/v/O0hXBDw77UY
GGs DaBoss, we ended up playing for much longer than 30 mins lol
Yea lol. I forgot my sister wasn't gonna come home the time she usually does, so I was able to use the TV for a lot longer lol.

Top Bottom