• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

SoldnerKei

you totally got me on that pkm stage, I guess I was trying too hard to kill ya to even pay attention to my mistakes lol

another close game! that projectile fest xD

colinp

Banned
It depends on the character, but recoveries in this game are generally better than previous games. When you jump off the stage from the ground you still have a double jump and your up b to use to come back to the stage. You just need to experiment with your character and figure out the limits that you can push yourself offstage and still make it back. Some characters also have side b moves that help them recover as well. What character are do you use that you feel you can't recover as well with?

Toon Link, Robin and Lucina I guess. But really, every and anyone I play!

Well, I'll practice jumping off more and see what happens. Thanks!

Boney

Banned

You gotta be careful not to fast fall, that's by pressing down while in the air. After that, just make sure you're using both the double jump and the up b to recover that'll get you a lot of distance. Also toon link can use the hookshot to recover to the stage, you can either press the grab button or while air dodging, press the attack button, you can't do it after the up b so you have to choose which way is gonna be a less risky proposition.

Nabster92

Also always try to be aware of when you have your double jump still. If you get hit after you used your double jump without touching the ground, you won't have it until you hit the ground or grab the ledge again. Another thing of note with toon link is if you're close enough to the ledge, you can use your grab to hookshot and pull yourself straight to the ledge. It probably won't get you to the ledge from a farther distance than your up-b would, but it's useful in some cases to snap to the ledge faster.

SoldnerKei

well, it went better than expected... except for that SD lol

as usual, great games tipster, learned a few things to keep Megaman at bay(like a good spaced Zair), but I still have to manage to get my killing moves on him, GGs!

Great games Kei, you've definitely gotten better since we last played! Your Link is especially scary, man. Good luck in your Ranbat bracket!

Thanks for playing!

Thanks for the comments, I definitely noticed you took your time more than usual in the plumber fights. I would've switched to spacies on request, you know? But at the moment I'm still working on what I can do with Fox and Falco's my trump card. ;)

I noticed you switched to Skull Barrier at one point in our fights before switching back, how come? I would think it had infinitely more utility than Leaf Shield. Also, playing Ike again really reminded me of how important spacing is, if I got just a bit too close then your Mega/Robin would have run a weapon of some kind through me!

Nah man, all of the fights were fun I don't mind playing against whichever character. You'll have to bring 'em out on your own terms >:p

I did switch to Skull Barrier and I never switched back. I just never used it again. It was okay when we were at a distance, but it wasn't really doing anything my pellets couldn't with the straight projectiles you were throwing. Plus, I kept jumping in with it and missing the timing for it to disappear. I felt safer not using it, haha.

Thanks for playing with. I know I'm not competition level, but I do enjoy playing people that are better than me. I think it makes me better.

That's definitely the best way to get better. Whenever I run into someone in For Glory who makes quick work of me, I hope they'll stick around so I can experiment and figure out strategies and such.

Also to learn how ridiculously dangerous a bucket filled with Toon Link's bombs is.

leroidys

Alright man, fun games, I'm gonna have to call it a night, I stayed up way too late yesterday and I'm beat.

Nice game watch, you're pretty good with the bucket! But I think you should tone down on the down air, and only use it when the opponent is airborne fishing for your way down or some other reads, because it's a bad gamble on grounded opponents. Don't have much experience with g&w but back air front air and neutral air should be your best approaching tools.

Also, do you know about pivoting? Not sure how much it helps g&w but it can help on approaches and retreats.

Keep at it, you won some nice matches!

Yeah, really fun games, thanks for sticking around to kick my ass for a while :p Your samus is a beast!

vikki

That's definitely the best way to get better. Whenever I run into someone in For Glory who makes quick work of me, I hope they'll stick around so I can experiment and figure out strategies and such.

Also to learn how ridiculously dangerous a bucket filled with Toon Link's bombs is.

I didn't forget about the bucket, I was wondering when you were going to pull it out.

vladdamad

Organising a semi-casual tournament for this in my college today, but don't really have a lot of experience with the game - is there any general consensus as to what the best rule-set to play with is? I'm probably going to stick with 4 player matches as 8 player gets a bit too hectic, but the stuff that I'm looking for is if there are any characters/stages that would often be banned/would seem unfair (i.e. Meta Knight in the Wii version), or if items should be used, that kind of thing. Thanks!

Cronox

Banned
Organising a semi-casual tournament for this in my college today, but don't really have a lot of experience with the game - is there any general consensus as to what the best rule-set to play with is? I'm probably going to stick with 4 player matches as 8 player gets a bit too hectic, but the stuff that I'm looking for is if there are any characters/stages that would often be banned/would seem unfair (i.e. Meta Knight in the Wii version), or if items should be used, that kind of thing. Thanks!

These are the stages that are legal in our ranbats and at most tournaments:

All For Glory Stages
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Skyloft (actually this one isn't legal depending on the tournament)
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino
Duck Hunt
Wuhu Island (another one that's not universally legal)

If you're doing 4 player matches you're definitely running a casual tournament, so I imagine you can probably go to more stages than are in this list. Just avoid the worst ones like 75m, Great Cave Offensive, Palutena's Temple, Orbital Assault, Mushroom Kingdom U, Wrecking Crew... well, if I keep going I'll eventually rule out almost every stage but the legal list. But I covered the worst ones anyhow. In 1v1's, generally tournaments are using 2 stocks, in 2v2's, it seems like 3 stocks is the standard. If you're doing 4 player free for alls... interpret my previous sentence as you will for your own rules.

Boney

Banned
So question to smash GAF. Do you guys actively use foxtrotting in matches extensively? Does it add much? What I can see is that it adds the ability to zig zag in place allowing to fake out the approach, which seems like a nice thing to learn but my brain can't wrap around it very well, due not being used to doing it.

So is it a thing I definitely should learn, something I could learn or something that I shouldn't fret so much about?

I just finished adding the newcomers in bracket 4 to my friends list... Good times for me are now, Sat evening and all day Sun. PM me in advance to set up a time if possible.

The Flash

Banned
So I just picked up the Wii U version and I don't have any friends to play with. Help me, SmashGAF, you're my only hope. I did fill out that Google doc from the OP though.

So I just picked up the Wii U version and I don't have any friends to play with. Help me, SmashGAF, you're my only hope. I did fill out that Google doc from the OP though.
Most of us have been playing long enough that the Google Doc won't get looked at much. I suggest adding a lot of folks on your own.

My NNID is Karsticles.

Will do. Just sent a friend request to ya.
K.

So question to smash GAF. Do you guys actively use foxtrotting in matches extensively? Does it add much? What I can see is that it adds the ability to zig zag in place allowing to fake out the approach, which seems like a nice thing to learn but my brain can't wrap around it very well, due not being used to doing it.

So is it a thing I definitely should learn, something I could learn or something that I shouldn't fret so much about?
Dashes have a small window after they are initiated where you can't shield, so I am not big on fox trotting. It just leaves your character open in my experience.

Top Bottom