• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

JCX

Ranbat bracket 3 people - I'm free tonight until 11pm EST. Just PM me.

SoldnerKei
Captain Rage Quit
Masked Man
jnWake
SalvaPot

Cronox

Banned
I am going to try Bowser's fireball as a counter-camping move.

Samus has a huge projectile that kills. Kill throws are for projectile characters without projectiles that kill. Very fair. Dedede has awful throws, for example. Yesterday a Dedede player at 160% threw me while I was 220%, and I survived! Gordos kill, though.

Have you checked out videos of her slow projectile custom? Great kill power, and you can fire it before throwing someone into it.

Let me know how the fireball works. Any particular character matchup you're thinking of using it for? I could see it in a Robin match... unfortunately even campy characters often have the speed to punish it.

What you say about Samus is true, but the nature of the game goes against her. A charged projectile that kills is actually worse than a projectile that allows a kill followup. Nearly guaranteed followups are part of what make a great character in this game. Diddy and Shiek being examples - hoo hah and throw or fair into bouncing fish respectively. A character like Samus requires the other person to make a big mistake to either catch them with up b or a charged shot. Not a big mistake like "shielded and got grabbed" like high tier characters can capitalize on. Anyway, not really disagreeing with you, but Samus' way is the inferior one IMO.

The slow projectile seems alright til Link's bombs clank with it, and the endlag off of firing it takes so long that unless your opponent sets themselves up to be thrown you won't be able to capitalize on it before it's gone. Or they took it straight to the face. That one Samus customs video has some cool moments but even just run half-way across FD and grab someone and the slow neutral b is already gone. Relentless missile and the fast missile are pretty cool, but they don't elevate Samus high enough out of the doghouse outside of a few matchups.

Edit: Bracket 2 peeps, I'm around for the next hour+

TWILT
Karsticles (not quite ready for you yet actually ;)
Professor Beef
Anonymous Tipster
Out_Of_Ammo

Sd'd three times... This lag :/
Oh man almost

For real dude, I kept searching for my bike instead of up-B. :/ Oh well, such is the nature of our context.

Shockwave, next time just switch to Smash and play patient. Don't get thirsty for the kill against Mac.

Er, pardon me everyone. Rage quit jokes aside, something had come up which I couldn't avoid and I had to abandon Shockwave, much to my regret. While I am available again, if you don't want me back in the room I'll understand. :(

EDIT: Or the 2v2 was disbanded? Argh, truly sorry guys. :(

For real dude, I kept searching for my bike instead of up-B. :/ Oh well, such is the nature of our context.

Shockwave, next time just switch to Smash and play patient. Don't get thirsty for the kill against Mac.

Er, pardon me everyone. Rage quit jokes aside, something had come up which I couldn't avoid and I had to abandon Shockwave, much to my regret. While I am available again, if you don't want me back in the room I'll understand. :(

No worries we had some good games ;) and yea your right I was getting far to hungry for the kill. Good stuff though have to do it again sometime.

Boney

Banned

I can get back in again if we're up for it. But that lag was giving me a headache

Alright getting back in.
Wait you disbanded? We need one more the. Right?

Don't worry about it Captain, it's not a big deal. I'd be willing to do some more 2v2 if you guys are up for it.

And great solo games Shockwave, thanks for playing! Zero Suit is your main right? She seemed to be who you were most comfortable playing. And you're really quite good with her!

Rooms up if you want more

Let me know how the fireball works. Any particular character matchup you're thinking of using it for? I could see it in a Robin match... unfortunately even campy characters often have the speed to punish it.
When I played ProfessorBeef, the matchup was heavily in his favor. Villager's Lloyds, fair, and Tripping Tree (made up name) custom made it almost impossible to get in safely. I can handle the first two, but the tree sapling is extremely hard for Bowser to get around. The only thing I could do was move to another part of the stage and force him to leave the sapling area. Then it was manageable.

Fireball might help with Robin and Villager. It would also help against other Bowser players, I think. It actually doesn't help against characters with long-range projectiles, like Link, because the Fireball doesn't interact with other projectiles (lolz). I'm not expecting anything amazing, but I want to try it out. Fire Roar is largely a piece of crap just because of its downtime, but it does allow follow-ups out of forward and back throws at low %s.

Bowser Bomb is great, but I actually think Turbulent Bomb has potential. Look at how far Bowser moves before crashing down. That could be great for punishing projectiles and such. Especially since the windbox makes it safe.

Obviously, default Fortress is the best.

Dash Slash and Flying Slam are both good choices, but I just love Flying Slam too much to let it go. That animation is my favorite in the entire game.

What you say about Samus is true, but the nature of the game goes against her. A charged projectile that kills is actually worse than a projectile that allows a kill followup. Nearly guaranteed followups are part of what make a great character in this game. Diddy and Shiek being examples - hoo hah and throw or fair into bouncing fish respectively. A character like Samus requires the other person to make a big mistake to either catch them with up b or a charged shot. Not a big mistake like "shielded and got grabbed" like high tier characters can capitalize on. Anyway, not really disagreeing with you, but Samus' way is the inferior one IMO.
You just have to bait the air dodge and fire. I mained Samus in Melee, so I am aware of her difficulties. I always got around them, though.

The slow projectile seems alright til Link's bombs clank with it, and the endlag off of firing it takes so long that unless your opponent sets themselves up to be thrown you won't be able to capitalize on it before it's gone. Or they took it straight to the face. That one Samus customs video has some cool moments but even just run half-way across FD and grab someone and the slow neutral b is already gone. Relentless missile and the fast missile are pretty cool, but they don't elevate Samus high enough out of the doghouse outside of a few matchups.

TWILT
Professor Beef
Anonymous Tipster
Out_Of_Ammo
Custom homing missiles should make Link manageable, I imagine.

Besides bracket 2 people, I'm looking to do a little experimenting with customs if anyone's around.
I would take you up on it, but I need to mess with customs against someone who specializes in keepaway. :p

Don't worry about it Captain, it's not a big deal. I'd be willing to do some more 2v2 if you guys are up for it.

And great solo games Shockwave, thanks for playing! Zero Suit is your main right? She seemed to be who you were most comfortable playing. And you're really quite good with her!

Whoops, didn't notice this. I'll join again for some more 2v2 fun!

TWILT

Banned

TWILT
Professor Beef
Anonymous Tipster
Out_Of_Ammo
I'm up for the ranbat matches right now if you want. NNID is TWILTHERO

EDIT: Ahh see you got challenged by someone else. I just got finished playing a friend, so another time could work if you want.

Cronox

Banned
When I played ProfessorBeef, the matchup was heavily in his favor. Villager's Lloyds, fair, and Tripping Tree (made up name) custom made it almost impossible to get in safely. I can handle the first two, but the tree sapling is extremely hard for Bowser to get around. The only thing I could do was move to another part of the stage and force him to leave the sapling area. Then it was manageable.

Fireball might help with Robin and Villager. It would also help against other Bowser players, I think. It actually doesn't help against characters with long-range projectiles, like Link, because the Fireball doesn't interact with other projectiles (lolz). I'm not expecting anything amazing, but I want to try it out. Fire Roar is largely a piece of crap just because of its downtime, but it does allow follow-ups out of forward and back throws at low %s.

Bowser Bomb is great, but I actually think Turbulent Bomb has potential. Look at how far Bowser moves before crashing down. That could be great for punishing projectiles and such. Especially since the windbox makes it safe.

Obviously, default Fortress is the best.

Dash Slash and Flying Slam are both good choices, but I just love Flying Slam too much to let it go. That animation is my favorite in the entire game.

You just have to bait the air dodge and fire. I mained Samus in Melee, so I am aware of her difficulties. I always got around them, though.

Custom homing missiles should make Link manageable, I imagine.

I would take you up on it, but I need to mess with customs against someone who specializes in keepaway. :p

I'm not sure about fire shot vs the villager, you'll have to be careful not to get caught by a lloid. Let me know if you find that successful though.

Yeah turbulent bomb is exactly what I'd like to do some testing with. Windboxes have some pretty wonky effects, and if flying slam is still on then Bowser bomb is just another laggier kill move for me, I can let it go if the windbox changes things.

No kidding about flying slam, as you know I fucking love it. It's the closest move in the game to this, which is soooo satisfying. When you get hit with it, you know you fucked up. God, Tager has the most satisfying throws in a fighting game. If they ever get current with their steam releases I'll play it again. Bowser is the closest Smash comes to that.

Pretty sure missiles lose or clank to all link's projectiles :/

What's your NNID? Nevermind. Why don't you make the room? Customs on.

I'm up for the ranbat matches right now if you want. NNID is TWILTHERO

EDIT: Ahh see you got challenged by someone else. I just got finished playing a friend, so another time could work if you want.

Will get back to you on this...

The Adder

Banned
I'm not sure about fire shot vs the villager, you'll have to be careful not to get caught by a lloid. Let me know if you find that successful though.

Yeah turbulent bomb is exactly what I'd like to do some testing with. Windboxes have some pretty wonky effects, and if flying slam is still on then Bowser bomb is just another laggier kill move for me, I can let it go if the windbox changes things.

No kidding about flying slam, as you know I fucking love it. It's the closest move in the game to this, which is soooo satisfying. When you get hit with it, you know you fucked up. God, Tager has the most satisfying throws in a fighting game. If they ever get current with their steam releases I'll play it again. Bowser is the closest Smash comes to that.

Pretty sure missiles lose or clank to all link's projectiles :/

What's your NNID? Nevermind. Why don't you make the room? Customs on.

Room's up. My connection is good, but my asshole housemate just cycled the power on our router. If I drop it's because he did it again.

Thanks tipster your Megaman is awesome great to play someone who really knows that character. Undecided on a main still but I do me some zero suit.

I'd join you for the 2v2's again but it's late here another time maybe :)

Masked Man

I said wow
Ranbat bracket 3 people - I'm free tonight until 11pm EST. Just PM me.

SoldnerKei
Captain Rage Quit
Masked Man
jnWake
SalvaPot

Ahhh, sorry I didn't see this before I left for work. :/ If you think you'll be around Monday morning EST (my tonight), then hit me up!

Boney

Banned
Yeah missiles are horrible against link. But charge shot is gonna make link unable to throw boomerangs and arrows because he will get punished

Top Bottom