• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

So I'm gonna go ahead and ask right now: am I the only person who has huge issues with triggering tilts instead of Smash attacks? I can't tilt to save my life, and I see a lot of times where the tilt would be way better... Anyone have any tips on doing a tilt and not a Smash?

So I'm gonna go ahead and ask right now: am I the only person who has huge issues with triggering tilts instead of Smash attacks? I can't tilt to save my life, and I see a lot of times where the tilt would be way better... Anyone have any tips on doing a tilt and not a Smash?
Tilt the stick forward instead of doing it all the way. Practice in training mode.

Or set your C-stick to "attack" for easy tilts if that is too much for you.

Tilt the stick forward instead of doing it all the way. Practice in training mode.

Or set your C-stick to "attack" for easy tilts if that is too much for you.

I had actually already set my C stick to that, but since I play Peach and need to hold onto my jump button pretty much 24/7 that didn't seem like a great option.

HOWEVER, I just realized that if I set Z to be jump (as I already have L as Grab...).... then this might work very well for Peach.

Ooooooh yeah I like this. Pretty sure I'm just gonna use Z for jump, makes retreating aerials actually a thing for me now.
Cuz fuck C Stick Smash.

A doubles tournament is in the future!

OK guys, I've created a form for the doubles tournament. While I'm still making some final plans, everything's in place for a tournament launch in April if all goes well. :) I can't believe this could be a reality!

Please quote this post for a link to the questionnaire that will not only confirm you're signing up, but will give me some valuable feedback for the final ruleset. Team up and remember to have fun!

Link to questionnaire (quote to see!)

I'm just gonna quote this so people can see it on the new page. :)

DaBoss

GGs, Puruzi

Just confirmed there is input lag by seeing whether we drop down off the platforms at the same time on Battlefield. I think it's the TV.

FSLink

Banned
I'm looking for tips playing as Ness. I'm considering using him as my alt. General advice for grabbing too since I rarely do it as Link.
http://smashboards.com/threads/nesss-back-throw-and-ko-percents-the-thread.387966/
-Learn bthrow kill percentages
-Learn to pivot grab/roll cancel grab. Dthrow to fair/uair is really good, and if the opponent -DIs incorrectly you can usually land 2 or 3.
-PK Fire can combo into bat if you're really close
-Dtilt can combo into bat if you cause a trip, or you can grab (dthrow to whatever or pivot grab bthrow).
-PK Thunder is a great chasing tool, use it to juggle opponents, if they air dodge, aim it towards yourself into the opponent, if they fake air dodging, just aim the thunder into the ground to cancel it.
-If you manage to land a grab at high percents, but not quite kill percentage, just fthrow to get them off stage if you can, or if they're nowhere near the edge, uthrow or dthrow and try to hit them with uair.
-Dsmash to punish bad rolls
- Jab combo and dash attack are pretty good with Ness, use it to punish stuff when you can't grab.

There's some other stuff, but those are some of the basics.

Cronox

Banned
Every character has a move that you simply most not get hit by if you want to live to a reasonable %. For ZSS, it is her up B.

Yeah, I just don't have enough experience against the character to know which way to DI out of a down throw and not get hit by it. Seems like it's a Diddy style situation, DI towards them early, away from them at higher percentages, but I don't know for sure.

I only missed one last night at locals. I got 3 kills from it. :) Including one stage -> ledge Bomb that killed a Megaman on his recovery. It was hype as hell.

Nice. None of these were recorded? ;_;

What is your method?

I also noticed that you can run off the stage with Bowser, hop back, and bair, and he will recovery just fine. It could be an interesting option.

https://youtu.be/2vVug_cxA6A?t=2m28s. If you find a better method let me know... I've found very little discussion on this subject, but the pros all seem to know how to do it. I dislike that this seems to be rarified info... Edit: There's a slower, but more easy method that Bowser and a few other characters can use found here, but I think it's better to learn it the universal way.

Well, I can't see how ROB would be harder to fight than, say, Megaman or Villager, and I've fought a greater Villager and Megaman player and go roughly even. Even if I haven't played ROBs as good as yours, I don't see how he can be such a troubling matchup compared to them.

I'll remind you of this if you ever come across a really good ROB and struggle :p

The Smash community is pretty moronic when it comes to word usage. I actually don't think there is a community that has so many stupid words with basic meanings.

Like it or not, now you know the reason for my initial confusion.

At the same time, have they played a good Palutena with customs? Have they played any good Bowsers? Good Sheiks are a dime a dozen, but no one in my local scene had even played a Bowser before me. We can help people understand that Bowser is a force to be reckoned with...until Mewtwo. ;-D

No customs tier list has been attempted yet, I'll be very interested to see what one looks like. Yeah Bowser needs repping, glad it's going well for you locally. I hope Mewtwo will shake things up, but he could always be another mid-low tier character. Things need a shakeup :/

Against Lucario, I noticed that I could jab clank, and then roll through him into Fortress instead of going for another clank. I tried pivot grabbing last night, but I swear my damn hand was going through Sonic right before he hit me. Jumping as they come toward me just means they go under me and the situation is reset. I want something that beats it so it stops happening all the time. It's just annoying.

I'd be willing to do a little training with you this weekend, playing as Sonic to see if you can get the timing consistent on pivot grabs. If you are willing to do the same for me. It's theory crafting, but well timed pivot grabs basically destroy Sonic's approach options. Maybe it's not possible to do it consistently, but I'm willing to put in 15-20 minutes each way (playing as Sonic and Pivot grabbing Bowser) to find out. These wouldn't be the typical "fight while trying new things," we'd be workshopping spin-dash vs pivot grab exclusively. I'm not competitive as Sonic in a fight.

FSLink

Banned
ROB revolves primarily around his gyro game and his great throw game (although slow). He works pretty different from Megaman and Villager. Like if you perfect shield a gyro, he can just throw another one out instantly, putting up a wall unless you manage to catch it (or pocket it as Villager. :3)

He basically has a hoohah too (and even gets a slip gyro!), and iirc the best killing uthrow in the game.

I'm not sure how bad the matchup would be as Bowser, but with fire gyro or slip gyro I can imagine it being kind of obnoxious, since good ROBs don't simply just toss the gyro waiting for it to be caught, they follow it or leave it out for space control so he can grab you or hit you with nair/fair/etc.

ROB revolves primarily around his gyro game and his great throw game (although slow). He works pretty different from Megaman and Villager. Like if you perfect shield a gyro, he can just throw another one out instantly, putting up a wall unless you manage to catch it (or pocket it as Villager. :3)

He basically has a hoohah too (and even gets a slip gyro!), and iirc the best killing uthrow in the game.

I'm not sure how bad the matchup would be as Bowser, but with fire gyro or slip gyro I can imagine it being kind of obnoxious, since good ROBs don't simply just toss the gyro waiting for it to be caught, they follow it or leave it out for space control so he can grab you or hit you with nair/fair/etc.
I admit I've never faced ROB with customs, so I don't know this myself.

Yeah, I just don't have enough experience against the character to know which way to DI out of a down throw and not get hit by it. Seems like it's a Diddy style situation, DI towards them early, away from them at higher percentages, but I don't know for sure.
I don't know either. :p

Nice. None of these were recorded? ;_;
None! :p

https://youtu.be/2vVug_cxA6A?t=2m28s. If you find a better method let me know... I've found very little discussion on this subject, but the pros all seem to know how to do it. I dislike that this seems to be rarified info...
I haven't been able to get this work by running off and holding back once with Bowser. Can you do it? I was beginning to think it wasn't possible.

Bowser isn't good at trumping.

I'll remind you of this if you ever come across a really good ROB and struggle :p
Psh, by then I'll be playing Mewtwo. ;-)

Like it or not, now you know the reason for my initial confusion.
K.

No customs tier list has been attempted yet, I'll be very interested to see what one looks like. Yeah Bowser needs repping, glad it's going well for you locally. I hope Mewtwo will shake things up, but he could always be another mid-low tier character. Things need a shakeup :/
DLC characters are usually strong or cheap and easy to play. I'm hoping it's the former with him. As I think on it, Sakurai might make very few adjustments to his moveset because he doesn't want to upset people who "loved him in Melee" (Dorf logic no one cares about). Plus, Mewtwo will almost certainly come with a balance patch. Who knows how big or small the changes will be. Bowser could become total crap or a vicious monster.

I'd be willing to do a little training with you this weekend, playing as Sonic to see if you can get the timing consistent on pivot grabs. If you are willing to do the same for me. It's theory crafting, but well timed pivot grabs basically destroy Sonic's approach options. Maybe it's not possible to do it consistently, but I'm willing to put in 15-20 minutes each way (playing as Sonic and Pivot grabbing Bowser) to find out. These wouldn't be the typical "fight while trying new things," we'd be workshopping spin-dash vs pivot grab exclusively. I'm not competitive as Sonic in a fight.
Let's do it!

Cronox

Banned
I admit I've never faced ROB with customs, so I don't know this myself.

Even without customs, ROB can leave a spinning top next to the edge when you're hanging on the ledge, forcing you to jump into his nair.

:(

I haven't been able to get this work by running off and holding back once with Bowser. Can you do it? I was beginning to think it wasn't possible.

Bowser isn't good at trumping.

Definitely possible with the method in that video. Bowser is as good at trumping as anyone else, with the caveat that if he misses he'll be forced into a backwards up b recovery. See my edit in the last post, there's an easier method you can use, but it's slower. Basically a ledge canceled side b into ledge sweetspot. See the link I left in the previous post.

Psh, by then I'll be playing Mewtwo. ;-)

When he releases in "Spring," yes... Can't wait to "play" him, this "Spring."

DLC characters are usually strong or cheap and easy to play. I'm hoping it's the former with him. As I think on it, Sakurai might make very few adjustments to his moveset because he doesn't want to upset people who "loved him in Melee" (Dorf logic no one cares about). Plus, Mewtwo will almost certainly come with a balance patch. Who knows how big or small the changes will be. Bowser could become total crap or a vicious monster.

Mewtwo in Melee wasn't high tier at all, I really hope they're more creative than redoing his Melee moves. How many characters need to charge orbs with their neutral b, warp with their up b, and have a crappy down b no one uses? Given how long it's taken, I hope they figured out something better.

Let's do it!

Alright, we'll get this together soon then.

Who is your main now? Dr. Mario/Falco?
Robin?
I choose ugly green Robin just to tease you. :3

Falco's always my main, but I keep secondaries like Fox and Mario handy for difficult/high tier matchups that would be a pain in the ass for Falco. I've been using Doc because I figure it'd be fun to keep a pocket Doc in a customs-meta, and characters like MK because literally nobody here uses him. :'(

G&W to leave bottom tier soon.

Even without customs, ROB can leave a spinning top next to the edge when you're hanging on the ledge, forcing you to jump into his nair.

:(

Definitely possible with the method in that video. Bowser is as good at trumping as anyone else, with the caveat that if he misses he'll be forced into a backwards up b recovery. See my edit in the last post, there's an easier method you can use, but it's slower. Basically a ledge canceled side b into ledge sweetspot. See the link I left in the previous post.

When he releases in "Spring," yes... Can't wait to "play" him, this "Spring."

Mewtwo in Melee wasn't high tier at all, I really hope they're more creative than redoing his Melee moves. How many characters need to charge orbs with their neutral b, warp with their up b, and have a crappy down b no one uses? Given how long it's taken, I hope they figured out something better.

Alright, we'll get this together soon then.
Tonight or tomorrow?

So anyone down for some 1v1s, 2v2s, 1v3s, ffas, 2v1s, etc. nnid:direct_quote
I choose ugly green Robin just to tease you. :3

Falco's always my main, but I keep secondaries like Fox and Mario handy for difficult/high tier matchups that would be a pain in the ass for Falco. I've been using Doc because I figure it'd be fun to keep a pocket Doc in a customs-meta, and characters like MK because literally nobody here uses him. :'(
Falco will always be out shined by fox.. May he rip..

Whether it was intentional or not, you're going to internet jail for that one :|

Falco was better than Fox in Brawl. Now they're so different the only aspect they share is their recovery.

It could take a while to get enough people but if people want to I'll play.
Yah I'd admit I've played Brawl like once in my life :p, but in 2 of 3 games Fox is better. I'd be down for a FFA later too I guess..

Tomorrow or Sunday. I'm gone tonight during GAF playing hours.
Well, I am pretty impatient, so I got my wife to mash down B with Sonic for an hour while I ran tests. :)

Findings:

Jab: always clanks; disadvantage for us.
Ftilt: sometimes clanks, sometimes wins.
Dtilt: always wins, but punished if we whiff.
Utilt: didn't try.
Usmash: always clanks; hard to time.
Dsmash: always clanks.
Fsmash: wins, but hard to time.
Throw: always trades (both take 3%).
Pivot Grab: almost always trades; won once in 40 tries.
Klaw: won once, couldn't reproduce. Usually trades.
Bowser Bomb: always wins.
Fortress: always clanks.
Nair: doesn't come out in time on reaction usually, but traded for 5% each when it did.

If we are going for the safest option, Fortress and Jab are the best bets. If you are confident, dtilt or Bomb beats Spindash decisively. Pivot Grab is not worth going for. Ftilt is a nice medium between the safe and risky bets.

Spot dodge was also solid, as Fortress beats Spindash after it turns around for a second hit. Most players jump and up B, though, so it might not matter.

Top Bottom