• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

JulianImp

Sorry everyone for basically disappearing during Ranbats, but I realized the inherent input lag from being on the other side of the continent makes most matches I play online way more obnoxious than they should be. Some opponents give me little to no lag, but then there are others who make using Ness nigh-impossible (even though I main Sonic).

Talking about Sonic, I'm really happy since realized I can spinshot at will and with 100% consistency by starting a down-b spin dash, holding the stick down and then flicking the C-stick upwards. Even though overusing it makes my recovery more predictable (mostly because of the obvious start-up), I feel like it's a really useful way to avoid having to recover from below the stage against certain characters that are particularily good at edgeguarding.

I'll also never grow tired of spring gimping opponents. A particular knack of mine is grabbing near the edge and deliberately grab-releasing them, since they sometimes keep mashing buttons after the release and end up suiciding due to an unwanted aerial or aerial dodge. Still, common sense tells me that good players would never fall for such a tactic due to how obvious it is, right?

@A human becoming: I kind of use Ness as a secondary, so here're some things I've learned over time:
  • I feel like running backwards into pivoted PK fires is a neat spacing tool, even though you will often be too far away to go for the bat
  • Try to learn how to use PK thunder to harass your opponents and then hitting yourself with it before it vanishes
  • Try not to let go off of your second jump without a good reason for doing it, since Ness' recovery is particlarily clunky and predictable
  • I don't think you can roll-cancel PSI magnet after absorbing an attack this time around, so look out for that
  • I'm a bit more grab-happy while using Ness than with Sonic because how it feels like the grab animation has more active frames and he stumbles around a lot less after a failed grab attempt
  • Forward throw has set knockback so it's good for throwing them away but not much else, down throw is good for setting up combos and follow-ups at low damage percentages, and the back throw has negligible starting knockback that scales really quickly, making it an amazing finishing move. I haven't experimented all that much with up throws, but I guess you could follow them up with up aerials at low damage or with PK thunder when higher
  • Everyone knows that Ness' throws equal a death sentence when at high percentages, so try not to be too predictable always going for grabs as soon as you've racked up enough damage
  • Aerial PK fire is as laggy as always, and has one hell of a long cooldown animation that keeps going even after you land. I still wish Lucas's PK fire custom worked like his' (with the whole backwards momentum and low landing lag thing)

Nope. Pretty sure i'm not going to main anyone at this rate. Sucks that I can't settle but them's the breaks.
A lot of people only wish they could just play the whole cast with good fundamentals like you, but you really can't find a main? Is it boredom from playing someone over and over, or is that random button too good to resist?

I know I use the random button a lot against people here when I'm not feeling like Falco. :O
I'm fine either way! :) if you want to do a "final round," that sounds climactic and fun, but it's up to you!

Yo, hit me up if you wanna play on Sunday whenever or anytime next week, yeah? :)

In the mean time, I'm down for friendlies because I just spent the whole day wrecking monsters and wearing their skin for hats.

A lot of people only wish they could just play the whole cast with good fundamentals like you, but you really can't find a main? Is it boredom from playing someone over and over, or is that random button too good to resist?

I know I use the random button a lot against people here when I'm not feeling like Falco. :O

Yo, hit me up if you wanna play on Sunday whenever or anytime next week, yeah? :)

In the mean time, I'm down for friendlies because I just spent the whole day wrecking monsters and wearing their skin for hats.

Would you mind helping me warm up in a few matches before I do some ranbats?

Puruzi

Banned

I get really bored if I use the same character over and over yeah. Dunno why, I can main characters in any other fighting games, but in smash I just can't do it.

I don't even understand what's going on with Palutena's super speed or whatever, but I guess I'm lucky PK Fire stops it! Good games, direct_quote. Also, Palutena's dash (I think it was?) clanging with Ness's bat is all kinds of wrong.

I don't even understand what's going on with Palutena's super speed or whatever, but I guess I'm lucky PK Fire stops it! Good games, direct_quote. Also, Palutena's dash (I think it was?) clanging with Ness's bat is all kinds of wrong.
Her shield is invincible at the tip i think (so it's not clanging), and i don't think it's wrong because it's one of her only good moves lol.

Top Bottom