• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Cronox

Banned
Well, I am pretty impatient, so I got my wife to mash down B with Sonic for an hour while I ran tests. :)

Findings:

Jab: always clanks; disadvantage for us.
Ftilt: sometimes clanks, sometimes wins.
Dtilt: always wins, but punished if we whiff.
Utilt: didn't try.
Usmash: always clanks; hard to time.
Dsmash: always clanks.
Fsmash: wins, but hard to time.
Throw: always trades (both take 3%).
Pivot Grab: almost always trades; won once in 40 tries.
Klaw: won once, couldn't reproduce. Usually trades.
Bowser Bomb: always wins.
Fortress: always clanks.
Nair: doesn't come out in time on reaction usually, but traded for 5% each when it did.

If we are going for the safest option, Fortress and Jab are the best bets. If you are confident, dtilt or Bomb beats Spindash decisively. Pivot Grab is not worth going for. Ftilt is a nice medium between the safe and risky bets.

Spot dodge was also solid, as Fortress beats Spindash after it turns around for a second hit. Most players jump and up B, though, so it might not matter.

Down b? Should have made her do side b, down b has to charge fully to have priority over various attacks. When you say ftilt sometimes wins - that's a down b not fully charged. Most Sonics aren't using down b, side b is the bread and butter and has slightly different characteristics. Hate to tell you, but you may want to retest with that. How does pivot grab/klaw trade? You mean that you take damage and grab Sonic at the same time? Not following you there. My concern with clanks is Sonic has the faster attacks, and may be able to hit Bowser before he can even raise his shield. If the Sonic knows what they're doing, in my experience their ftilt will beat any A button attack.

Man, I feel like I've hit a brick wall recently. I've gotten a lot better since I first started playing, but now I'm just at this somewhat consistent level of skill that I can't seem to surpass. I win a lot and even when I lose I can usually put up a decent fight, but then one of these days I just got completely destroyed by a Sheik main. Like, I didn't even stand a chance, I was struggling to get past 30% on her first freaking stock. Then there are the occasional good ZSS and Ness mains that hits me like a truck.
But the worst instances by far are when I know I could beat my opponent if I just screwed up a little bit less. I can always get them on high percentages on the 2nd stock, but NEVER manage to finish them off. It's so frustrating.

I guess I still struggle too much with the controls. Sometimes I'll try to gimp my opponent and suddenly I'm just gracefully falling to my death wondering "when did I ever use that 2nd jump?"

Hey man, I feel ya. That last part is less due to controls than the perspective of the camera. The edge of the stage is closer than it looks due to that.

Damn, that was stylish as the letter S.

GGs guys, it's been a lot of fun but now I must go back to uploading videos on Youtube. Customs are crazy good on certain characters *coughdoccough*

TWILT

Banned
Well, that was certainly one way to end the session lol. Saved the replay...

GGs everyone. Was really fun playing the 2v2s. Damn though, Power Bow can be kinda cheesy in 2v2s lol.

Nabster92

I haven't been able to get this work by running off and holding back once with Bowser. Can you do it? I was beginning to think it wasn't possible.

Bowser isn't good at trumping.

I just tried a couple times in training and it actually felt a lot easier to ledge trump with Bowser than Rosalina. It works pretty much exactly the same way as it did in Brawl except you have to do the motion a lot faster.

Because it works like Brawl, the other simpler input option also still works of rolling towards the ledge so you're facing inwards right at the edge and just hitting diagonally down backwards on the joystick and you should snap right to it. While that method is simpler technically in input, I feel like it's probably less consistent because it has to be a rather precisely diagonal input otherwise you'll either just crouch if it's too downwards or fast fall off the ledge in the same way if you miss with the normal method.

So yea I would still just stick with the normal method because you can just run off and do it instead of telegraphing what you're doing by rolling into the edge and waiting. Just remember the motion needs to happen really fast. You should be holding back immediately after triggering the fast fall. Hope that helps a bit.

GGs. I had fun.

Down b? Should have made her do side b, down b has to charge fully to have priority over various attacks. When you say ftilt sometimes wins - that's a down b not fully charged. Most Sonics aren't using down b, side b is the bread and butter and has slightly different characteristics. Hate to tell you, but you may want to retest with that. How does pivot grab/klaw trade? You mean that you take damage and grab Sonic at the same time? Not following you there. My concern with clanks is Sonic has the faster attacks, and may be able to hit Bowser before he can even raise his shield. If the Sonic knows what they're doing, in my experience their ftilt will beat any A button attack.

Hey man, I feel ya. That last part is less due to controls than the perspective of the camera. The edge of the stage is closer than it looks due to that.
The down B is what gives me problems, though, not side B. I can deal with side B. It is much slower and has less priority.

The grabs trade like a normal attack. Basically, Sonic gets grabbed for 3%, hits Bowser for 3%, and then the grab drops, all in a blink of an eye.

How did team Robowser work out? Really feel in' it?
Lots of friendly fire. :p

DQ needs to stop being lazy and get his customs to make it work. :p

Think I should head to bed now. I'll catch you next time.

Alright no probs!

GGs. I had fun.

Sounds like teams to me, haha.

Damn, that was stylish as the letter S.

GGs guys, it's been a lot of fun but now I must go back to uploading videos on Youtube. Customs are crazy good on certain characters *coughdoccough*

Let me know when you post it! I wanna see the mean things they say about poor Megs. :p

So ggs guys with the 2 v 2s
GGs. I had fun.

The down B is what gives me problems, though, not side B. I can deal with side B. It is much slower and has less priority.

The grabs trade like a normal attack. Basically, Sonic gets grabbed for 3%, hits Bowser for 3%, and then the grab drops, all in a blink of an eye.

True, but I really really think you need a safe character on a team, because I'm really sick of getting punished on every little mistake I make.. Example being if I go to punish mario who whiffed a smash attack (or many other characters), they can spot dodge in time and grab me, but if I whiff a smash attack or hell a tilt an easy punish..

So ggs guys with the 2 v 2s

True, but I really really think you need a safe character on a team, because I'm really sick of getting punished on every little mistake I make.. Example being if I go to punish mario who whiffed a smash attack (or many other characters), they can spot dodge in time and grab me, but if I whiff a smash attack or hell a tilt an easy punish..
Robin is safe with projectiles, but you seemed desperate to rush a lot, even when I was already in combat. I think it would work better if you chilled back and let me handle the melee. Blast me with Thoron if you want, IAG. Use the fire wall custom to hole up and discourage approaches. I can handle 2 folks defensively.

Edit: or maybe use Thoron to snipe as a punish.

RomanceDawn

I did but they didn't fit properly and I never fixed them :T

That's strike 1 young lady!

Usually when making taunts be aware that there are only 16 spaces, 8 on top and 8 on the bottom. Typing it out in the initial window will make it come out differently. So basically make sure words are shortened or finished by slot 8. You can let slot 8 and 9 meet when first inserting your taunt and in the final product they will show as seperate words.

That's strike 1 young lady!

Usually when making taunts be aware that there are only 16 spaces, 8 on top and 8 on the bottom. Typing it out in the initial window will make it come out differently. So basically make sure words are shortened or finished by slot 8. You can let slot 8 and 9 meet when first inserting your taunt and in the final product they will show as seperate words.
Your taunts are messed up, too. :p

Top Bottom