• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

You know thinking about it, it would be nice if Nintendo hired people to balance Smash 4 like Capcom hired Combofiend to help with USF4. But Sakurai probably would see it as an insult to his work, or something.
They actually did this. Namco had people on a committee with Sakurai, and they balanced it as a team.

I really want my Iwata Asks for Smash.

Shit, gotta pack. Be right back. I still owe you that match, Karsticles.
Sure thing, another time.

They actually did this. Namco had people on a committee with Sakurai, and they balanced it as a team.

I really want my Iwata Asks for Smash.

Sure thing, another time.
I mean like continued balance updates, because you can't just update a game once and expect even balance. There's a lot of characters that are lacking imo, let alone balancing some of the custom moves in the game. Game could truly use like a 1-2 more balance patches, but I wouldn't want to see it go the route of NRS where they change the game like 4 times a year or w/e. I think that creates too much instability. I don't expect though any system wide changes like increasing spot dodge lag, and increasing shield stun in the next patch with Mewto DLC.

MANGOD

Banned
Tips for a complete smash noob? Just getting used to the controls. Finding my movement and jumping a little clunky. And I totally suck at grabbing back or manoeuvring back to the stage if i get knocked off

Tips for a complete smash noob? Just getting used to the controls. Finding my movement and jumping a little clunky. And I totally suck at grabbing back or manoeuvring back to the stage if i get knocked off

Just gotta hit the training mode and learn the controls until it's as natural as breathing.

I recommend not using characters with unique movement like Kirby or Jigglypuff, until you understand how to move around and how to get back on stage with a character. Practice with, say, Mario.

It all comes down to just spending time with the game and getting experience so it all feels natural to you. Fighting CPUs is fine too, but don't be too eager to copy what they do; computer players don't always make the best decisions even on level 9.

Boney

Banned
Good luck! If the tourneys are nice I may join someday too.
Alright I'm home, sadly I didn't do too well. I played a few friendlies before the tourney started and I did decent, beat a diddy that got pretty far in winners, got a close match against a villager that did pretty good on losers and I beat an ok guy with his PAC man.
Tourney started and I got to open it again ya pretty good luigi and I kinda choked and respected him too much, guy got some good reads and a few bad calls on my part, got punished for clinging twice on the edge a few times. Lost 2-0 but the second game was a bit more even if he still got it pretty decisively.

Got sent to losers were I met another luigi which was just ok 2-0 him with ease, helped that I fought that luigi before because I didn't have that much experience.

Then I fought this guy that my friend introduced to him as the Chilean mew2king cause he plays all the games and he was decent. Rocked a jigglypuff, which gave me some trouble but adapted pretty good, lost the first Match cause I greedily tried to up b him when we were both in the air and in missed and got a rest. I was at 80 and he was at 140 so it was just stupid of me. Second match I beat him with a very good lead so he switched to Shiek, which I'm also a bit inexperienced. I was turtling too much even though I was winning at the last stock and he started to rack my % and got in the lead and hit me with an up b and stage spiked for running away instead of me hitting him and winning. Got congratulated though and they were like dude you had it and totally slipped.

It's the lack of both tourney and high level play experience, but I got away happy, I can do better next time but I'm gonna have to practice, wasting time in for glory is useless, so I'm gonna start using ladder and stuff.

Venue was a little cramped but I was told this was one of the worst they've had, and they told me they do Tournies every Saturday so I'm gonna start going.

Had fun, even if it was slow as hell with only 2 Wii u's but idk hope there's more next time.

I can do a couple for like 20 minutes.

Edit: looks like you're doing for glory instead. Next time then.
I'd love to Play you and get some experrience

Tourney story time :3

I'm guessing you got hit by the tournament jitters, huh? It happens to all of us our first time, but as you keep going it gets more manageable. Still, it sounds like you did good. :)

Sure wish I did half as good in Melee as I do in Sm4sh, lol. Everything's all fine until I fight any Marth players who know how to fsmash, or a competent Sheik/Falcon. At least with Sm4sh I have more than one character to use now. '~'

Boney

Banned
My 20 minutes are up for now unfortunately. Maybe later on tonight when I get back from dinner.
Alright dude, maybe later :)

I'm guessing you got hit by the tournament jitters, huh? It happens to all of us our first time, but as you keep going it gets more manageable. Still, it sounds like you did good. :)

Sure wish I did half as good in Melee as I do in Sm4sh, lol. Everything's all fine until I fight any Marth players who know how to fsmash, or a competent Sheik/Falcon. At least with Sm4sh I have more than one character to use now. '~'
Yeah tourney jitters is real. But I also just need more experience, my current level isn't gonna get me to the top but I can go higher

No tournaments here. No nothing here.

I'll play whoever is looking for games.
I can at for a bit.

I mean like continued balance updates, because you can't just update a game once and expect even balance. There's a lot of characters that are lacking imo, let alone balancing some of the custom moves in the game. Game could truly use like a 1-2 more balance patches, but I wouldn't want to see it go the route of NRS where they change the game like 4 times a year or w/e. I think that creates too much instability. I don't expect though any system wide changes like increasing spot dodge lag, and increasing shield stun in the next patch with Mewto DLC.
You want to give games a lot of breathing room before balancing occurs. I think it is smart for Sakurai to give it at least six months. Some characters seem stronger earlier than others. Early patching is what made MvC3 Sentinel garbage.

Sure, Diddy is really good, but people placed G&W on bottom tier. Then that crouching video came out, and who knows what the potential is. I am relatively confident that the game will receive at least one more major balance patch.

I know people put stock in Sakurai, but Sakurai isn't the only decision maker here. If Nintendo sees Evo and realizes this game needs continual support, they Will ask Sakurai to do it,and he will do it.

I know the first balance patch was too hasty and hurt Greninja pretty badly when he wasn't even overpowered, but it's incredibly tiresome seeing Diddy win 80% of weekly tournaments and some majors. It's good to wait so characters who are overpowered don't slip by, but at this point lots of people are just frustrated as to how characters like Diddy and Sonic made it into the game the way they are.

I was playing someone while up by one stock and tried to gimp/ spike with Fox's forward air. The attack ended, I jumped back up and somehow footstooled them and won. Totally as planned.

I know the first balance patch was too hasty and hurt Greninja pretty badly when he wasn't even overpowered, but it's incredibly tiresome seeing Diddy win 80% of weekly tournaments and some majors. It's good to wait so characters who are overpowered don't slip by, but at this point lots of people are just frustrated as to how characters like Diddy and Sonic made it into the game the way they are.

I was playing someone while up by one stock and tried to gimp/ spike with Fox's forward air. The attack ended, I jumped back up and somehow footstooled them and won. Totally as planned.

Pls let yoshi continue to go under the radar, pls leave yoshi alone. Plssssssssss

Cronox

Banned
Anther's ladder is failing me, and tonight is newbie night on FG. Anyone want to play?

Anyone want to play some 1v1?

I'm up for it if you're not half way around the world. Just got off from an anther's ladder friendly matchup where the guy made me wait 8 minutes while he ate, and then he lagged like a mofo cause he was in Australia. I'm in north California.

NNID Cronoc

Anther's ladder is failing me, and tonight is newbie night on FG. Anyone want to play?

I'm up for it if you're not half way around the world. Just got off from an anther's ladder friendly matchup where the guy made me wait 8 minutes while he ate, and then he lagged like a mofo cause he was in Australia. I'm in north California.

NNID Cronoc
I'm in LA, so we should be good. I'll send you a friend request shortly and start a room.

If you don't mind, I'd like to work on a secondary of mine.
Yeah, no worries. Play whoever you want. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things myself after having been away from Smash for a bit, so that might actually help!

Haha, I knew as soon as I did that Up-B a rest was coming.

TWILT

Banned
GGs KotD. I quite like your Yoshi; he's your main right? Feels bad when he combos me from 0 to like 80%. :p

Feels so nice to go for the up B custom kills with Kirby. I also like the Decisive Monados/Mighty Air Slash customs I used with Shulk; want to practice with it more some time.

GGs KotD. I quite like your Yoshi; he's your main right? Feels bad when he combos me from 0 to like 80%. :p

Feels so nice to go for the up B custom kills with Kirby. I also like the Decisive Monados/Mighty Air Slash customs I used with Shulk; want to practice with it more some time.

Yup. He is. Gawd your spacing. It's so good. Nobody plays like that on for glory. That Kirby up b is crazy aswell. customs are so foreign to me.

Cronox

Banned
Yeah, no worries. Play whoever you want. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things myself after having been away from Smash for a bit, so that might actually help!

Haha, I knew as soon as I did that Up-B a rest was coming.

Well, turns out I'm pretty bad with characters that aren't Jiggs or Bowser. Forgive my experimentation...

Cronox

Banned
Good games! I gotta get some sleep, but definitely liked your play style. I'll need to fight your Bowser again sometime to prove myself.

GGs. Hehe sure, next time. Some good moments in there. I have some work to do on my Jiggs, can't just be throwing out back airs all the time.

Anyone else want to play? It's GAF after-hours now, I know...

Top Bottom