• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Masked Man

I said wow
You know what? Fuck FG, and fuck all those characters like Mario that can roll all over the place without getting punished because Palutena has no good options.

You know what? Fuck FG, and fuck all those characters like Mario that can roll all over the place without getting punished because Palutena has no good options.
I thought you were taking a break. ;-)

Not every character has good options behind them.

Best options behind: probably Bowser.

Many characters like Zero Suit Samus and Link are even weaker than Palutena in this regard.

I've seen people user her f tilts to catch rollers but if you guess wrong that's bad. I personally just throw out a jab and try to see if they roll into it. Her down smash sometimes works but it has a lot of startup frames and is generally bad so...

Thread is dead today, wow. D:

So I was watching Zero play and it was really interesting to see how confidently he plays space animals, made me take note considering how I play them very conservatively and even with Falco he played rather aggressively.

Granted it was For Glory and the guy he was playing was some nobody Falcon, but I still saw some good stuff to take away. Anyone have experience learning from the pros in their matches against others?

FSLink

Banned

So I was watching Zero play and it was really interesting to see how confidently he plays space animals, made me take note considering how I play them very conservatively and even with Falco he played rather aggressively.

Granted it was For Glory and the guy he was playing was some nobody Falcon, but I still saw some good stuff to take away. Anyone have experience learning from the pros in their matches against others?

Watching tourney videos in general is a good idea. I usually watch a lot of them, especially with players that use obscure characters so I have a better understanding on what to do.

I can do a quick few

edit: hosting

Wii U turning on, heading in now.

Everything I do is just bootleg shit I saw other people doing tbh.

Anyone wanna 1v1? ID is HarimeNui
We're two of a kind in that regard, I literally cribbed my Fox from watching Zero hit M2K with the 1-2 jab and worked from there lol.

Learned MK from watching Japanese vines over and over, and I watched Boss play Doc once to get started on him. Not the best way to do things, but shit works from what I can tell for me and you.

Also I copied Nabster when I played Falcon, those 2v2s yesterday were me paying respect to you homie.

SoldnerKei

not much, nobody plays Link lol
jk
well, Izaw is the most known that I can think of, but nothing mind blowing has come from his videos for me, there's some cool stuff that it's pretty situational, so it's not really a big difference

I need to look out some of those videos for Marth thou, I have no clue about how people are playing him as of now, I just play quite a Melee-eske way with him, so lol yeah

not much, nobody plays Link lol
jk
well, Izaw is the most known that I can think of, but nothing mind blowing has come from his videos for me, there's some cool stuff that it's pretty situational, so it's not really a big difference

I need to look out some of those videos for Marth thou, I have no clue about how people are playing him as of now, I just play quite a Melee-eske way with him, so lol yeah

http://smashboards.com/forums/marth.416/
http://smashboards.com/threads/hero-kings-council-video-analysis.368553/

;)

GGs. I wish you said you were switching to Pacman, lol, I had my anti-Ness set on Ness.

I still hate Ness mirrors though, so I dunno. :p

Hah. Well my usual pattern is best of 3 sets with whatever character I am using. So once I win or lose 2 with a character, I switch. And yea, I hate Ness dittos too, lol

FSLink

Banned
Hah. Well my usual pattern is best of 3 sets with whatever character I am using. So once I win or lose 2 with a character, I switch. And yea, I hate Ness dittos too, lol

One of these days I need to grind out the mirror with you.

I know some stuff you can do like PK Thunder 1 into theirs while they're recovering, but in practice it's pretty difficult. Definitely need practice applying it in an actual match.

One of these days I need to grind out the mirror with you.

I know some stuff you can do like PK Thunder 1 into theirs while they're recovering, but in practice it's pretty difficult. Definitely need practice applying it in an actual match.

Yea for sure we will. You said that was your "Anti Ness' Ness, and you had that pkthunder variation. I haven't messed with it much. How do you feel it works better against Ness?

FSLink

Banned
Yea for sure we will. You said that was your "Anti Ness' Ness, and you had that pkthunder variation. I haven't messed with it much. How do you feel it works better against Ness?

Just the fact that you can't have your PK Thunder clashed with another PK Thunder to be gimped is useful. It also avoids most scramble situations where both Ness's are off stage and are trying to recover. Lasting PK Thunder is also great for gimping in general if they don't go for PSI Magnet.

http://smashboards.com/threads/mii-swordfighter-videos.392456/#post-18769791

Also someone won a local with Mii Swordfighter. :v

GGs man, you should use Link's bombs. You were throwing out a boomerang followed by an arrow. Use bombs to mix up the projectile game. Also you used up smash way too liberally. Link's jabs and tilt attacks are very strong in this game so use them more often. Up Smash is used when you have a godlike read on the opponent.
One more note, I didn't realize the power of Zelda's custom side b when sweetspotted. I'm really digging this move.

The Adder

Banned
Well now this matters. I have 5 wins if SD decides, and it's 4-4 if he won because of percentage when time was up. I was pretty sure Ranbat was game decides though. I'll play this last one out while we wait for Kar. If I win it won't matter.

AD Lucario vs Link
IA Link vs Lucario
I won by tournament rules (Lower % at time) but Adder won sudden death. Link vs Lucario
AD Lucario vs Link
IA Link vs Lucario
IA Link vs Dedede
AD Dedede vs Yoshi
AD Dedede vs Sonic
AD Dedede vs Link

GGs! Those Lucario Link duels were fun. Your Dedede air game is intimidating!

Hmm, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. See, I love Melee and Sm4sh, but whereas I haven't gone very far with Melee competitively, I'm already seeing myself doing very well here. Perhaps it's my development of fundamentals that's helping me and the lack of necessary tech to study like L-cancelling, but I feel like I should prioritize playing Sm4sh more at the moment. I'm not giving up on Melee, but if I had to choose which game to pursue competitively, it'd probably be this one. What do you all think?

I should have the rule up about that, my bad.

Lower % wins.

Cool. He won anyway, but it's nice that I got 4 wins.

Hmm, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. See, I love Melee and Sm4sh, but whereas I haven't gone very far with Melee competitively, I'm already seeing myself doing very well here. Perhaps it's my development of fundamentals that's helping me and the lack of necessary tech to study like L-cancelling, but I feel like I should prioritize playing Sm4sh more at the moment. I'm not giving up on Melee, but if I had to choose which game to pursue competitively, it'd probably be this one. What do you all think?

I definitely think the tech in this game is more intuitive. No wavedashing :p And the competitive scene is still developing, whereas competitive Melee players have a bit of a head start.

IMO, roster variety makes this game more enjoyable than Melee. Plus, it has an unknown future, which I find exciting to explore.

Cool. He won anyway, but it's nice that I got 4 wins.

I definitely think the tech in this game is more intuitive. No wavedashing :p And the competitive scene is still developing, whereas competitive Melee players have a bit of a head start.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I have no real issue with Melee tech (wavedashing is essential to get anywhere in my locals) and I've definitely put in some work on it. It's just that even then I feel like I'm seeing a lot more results from Sm4sh than Melee.
IMO, roster variety makes this game more enjoyable than Melee. Plus, it has an unknown future, which I find exciting to explore.

Roster variety definitely helps, I'm practically Doc-exclusive in Melee though I've been trying to change that, while anyone who's played me here can attest to my various characters. The unknown future is a variable, I suppose, but I still like Melee even if I'm not keeping up like I should. Perhaps I'm just worrying about nothing, but I'll see what the future holds for me.

This is one of those times I wish PM wasn't in such a rough spot seeing as that game is really easy for me to play since it controls like a more lenient Melee. :p

TWILT

Banned

I think I'll mostly stick with Sm4sh. There's just a lot more roster variety, it has a character I really adore playing as, and I like there's no stuff like L-cancelling in the game.

I actually play Project M on the side sometimes (mostly because Ike's extremely fun there and Link is really good in that game), and I tried going back to it a few days ago after not having played the game for months, but after playing Sm4sh for so long, it felt like I almost forgot how to play the game entirely lol.

I think I'll mostly stick with Sm4sh. There's just a lot more roster variety, it has a character I really adore playing as, and I like there's no stuff like L-cancelling in the game.

I actually play Project M on the side sometimes (mostly because Ike's extremely fun there and Link is really good in that game), and I tried going back to it a few days ago after not having played the game for months, but after playing Sm4sh for so long, it felt like I almost forgot how to play the game entirely lol.
I would main Project M if it had netcode and good online play. Mewtwo is like the perfect character for me in that game. I just need half of his awesome to translate to Smash 4 for me to be happy.

I would main Project M if it had netcode and good online play. Mewtwo is like the perfect character for me in that game. I just need half of his awesome to translate to Smash 4 for me to be happy.

I was gonna suggest netplay, but then I remembered there's no way your computer could run Dolphin so that's out. Doesn't your local scene play PM, or is that a midwest thing where there's PM weeklies in every region of every state? :p

I was gonna suggest netplay, but then I remembered there's no way your computer could run Dolphin so that's out. Doesn't your local scene play PM, or is that a midwest thing where there's PM weeklies in every region of every state? :p
Just Smash 4 around here.

How does running it on Dolphin with netplay work?

Also, I feel like the game will get a C&D soon. :/

Anyone want some games?
I'll play you if nobody else is available.
Just Smash 4 around here.

How does running it on Dolphin with netplay work?

Also, I feel like the game will get a C&D soon. :/

That's a bummer.

Well, you'd need a Brawl iso and currently a specific old build of Dolphin. You can read up on it with the link here (I'm assuming you're on Windows) if you're interested in the process even if you can't actually play it.

And yeah, the legal worries aren't easy to think about but my scene at least hasn't been troubled too much by it; last I checked we're still real big into PM more than any game.

Top Bottom