• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Masked Man

I said wow
I thought you were taking a break. ;-)

Not every character has good options behind them.

Best options behind: probably Bowser.

Many characters like Zero Suit Samus and Link are even weaker than Palutena in this regard.

I told you addictions aren't easy to break! ;P

And yeah, I realize it could be worse, but it's still irritating. I envy Bowser's ability to punish, though!

I've seen people user her f tilts to catch rollers but if you guess wrong that's bad. I personally just throw out a jab and try to see if they roll into it. Her down smash sometimes works but it has a lot of startup frames and is generally bad so...

Yeah, Dsmash isn't worth it. :/ Jabbing has been hit-or-miss for me in the most literal sense, and her tilts are similarly fickle. Apparently her Dtilt doesn't even hit Luigi while he's doing his dopey arm flail attack.

I dislike laggy Samus's more. One wrong move and it's a roll to Charge Shot. :(

Agreed. I've suffered the same fate thanks to a mistimed/misdirected Reflect. :/

Nabster92

Just Smash 4 around here.

How does running it on Dolphin with netplay work?

Also, I feel like the game will get a C&D soon. :/

Can't you also play PM through wifi on the Wii itself as well the same way as Brawl?

Provided you set up your friend code with that thing that kept it alive after the Nintendo WFC shutdown: http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...ccasional-server-issues-are-temporary.355374/

You don't HAVE to delete your save in that method if you don't get the error after doing the other stuff I believe. I didn't have to at least, but I did register my FC before that shutdown date.

Guess the issue there is where to find people to play it on those servers...

Can't you also play PM through wifi on the Wii itself as well the same way as Brawl?

Provided you set up your friend code with that thing that kept it alive after the Nintendo WFC shutdown: http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...ccasional-server-issues-are-temporary.355374/

You don't HAVE to delete your save in that method if you don't get the error after doing the other stuff I believe. I didn't have to at least, but I did register my FC before that shutdown date.

Guess the issue there is where to find people to play it on those servers...
Have you played Brawl netcode? It is a travesty.

DooD1234

Watching a good Link player never gets old.

First it was Aniki in Melee, now it's Izaw on Wii U. Fuck, some of the combos in this video are beyond anything I could have imagined...

We need gifs of some of those insane edge guards.
I'm not sure how tier list will go but I'm still of the opinion Link this time around is no longer bottom tier like he normally is. I feel this is the best Link has ever been in Smash (I don't play P:M enough to have an opinion on that). Can't say the same to Samus however :(

FSLink

Banned
I'm not sure how tier list will go but I'm still of the opinion Link this time around is no longer bottom tier like he normally is. I feel this is the best Link has ever been in Smash (I don't play P:M enough to have an opinion on that). Can't say the same to Samus however :(
I think Triforce tier is now Fire Emblem tier in this game (without customs).

Even Zelda apparently has a decent matchup against Rosalina. :eek:

With customs, not sure, every character gets some nice tool to play with.

I think Triforce tier is now Fire Emblem tier in this game (without customs).

Even Zelda apparently has a decent matchup against Rosalina. :eek:

With customs, not sure, every character gets some nice tool to play with.

Everyone says Zelda is decent against Rosalina...but it's easily one of my worst matchups lol. Could just be that I faced decent/good Rosas in FG but I think it's just me lol.

FSLink

Banned
Zelda's sweetspots are easier to land on Rosalina due to her being so tall, Din's fire eliminating Luma instantly, and elevator combos can kill Rosalina at like 60% or something pretty ridiculous.
Not sure how it'd be like with customs though.

Speaking of customs, Mario's Scalding FLUDD is godlike. :3 Looks like the Mario boards on Smashboards has figured it out as well.

It's like a mini Fire Breath. :D
Also landed this:

fully charged Scalding FLUDD -> Fast Fireball jab lock -> Explosive Punch for a hit confirm'd KO.

Boney

Banned
He can autocancel fair from a short hop. You can even fastfall it at the end to cancel faster.
It's pretty scary man, how come bowsers don't challenge more stuff in the air with it then, or just as a statement

Also, fought a peach that did this weird stuff where she kinda wave dashed but on really by alternating the levitation right at the ground level, was pretty sick

It's pretty scary man, how come bowsers don't challenge more stuff in the air with it then, or just as a statement

Also, fought a peach that did this weird stuff where she kinda wave dashed but on really by alternating the levitation right at the ground level, was pretty sick
The range on fair is pretty weak as an air-to-ground, and even in air-to-air, a lot of characters outrange it. Also, if someone is jumping to attack you, running under them to shield -> fortress is 100000% better. Guaranteed damage. Jumping against Bowser is a risk in itself unless you can maneuver behind him well for a safe and well-spaced back attack (Ness, Megaman).

It's not that fair is bad, it's just that Bowser's ground options are better. Now, fair is bad for approaching, because Bowser has trouble landing safely. He can't double jump a bad approach like some other characters can, so he has to commit to the fair. So if your opponent dashes in to block the fair, you get shield grabbed. The startup on fair is also weaker than a simple ftilt, and ftilt has comparable range while also being safer.

Boney

Banned
The range on fair is pretty weak as an air-to-ground, and even in air-to-air, a lot of characters outrange it. Also, if someone is jumping to attack you, running under them to shield -> fortress is 100000% better. Guaranteed damage. Jumping against Bowser is a risk in itself unless you can maneuver behind him well for a safe and well-spaced back attack (Ness, Megaman).

It's not that fair is bad, it's just that Bowser's ground options are better. Now, fair is bad for approaching, because Bowser has trouble landing safely. He can't double jump a bad approach like some other characters can, so he has to commit to the fair. So if your opponent dashes in to block the fair, you get shield grabbed. The startup on fair is also weaker than a simple ftilt, and ftilt has comparable range while also being safer.
I see, he did stopped using it after I realized it auto cancelled , so I guess he knew it wasn't the best as well. However it's still a good retreating option because it has good ground reach. Although as Bowser I guess you should never be retreating so that's moot.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I did. Still ridiculously bad. Like, worse than playing Diablo on a 56k modem back in the day bad.

It really depend on people's connections because I had some good connection with people over Brawl/Project M.

Link is incredible good in PM 3.0 but I'm not sure about PM3.5 since I didn't really play that version much for some reasons.

emb

Link is incredible good in PM 3.0 but I'm not sure about PM3.5 since I didn't really play that version much for some reasons.
PM seemed to fall off at 3.5 a little. Guess it has to do with losing Apex (ie, Nintendo making things quiet), 3.5 nerfing a lot of characters, and Smash 4 getting all the hype around 3.5's release.

I like 3.5 better though. Seems more grounded. But RIP Mewtwo.

Link still seems really good. Maybe it's just hard for me to get used to him. So much of his toolkit is safe now, and it's strange to me lol.

PM seemed to fall off at 3.5 a little. Guess it has to do with losing Apex (ie, Nintendo making things quiet), 3.5 nerfing a lot of characters, and Smash 4 getting all the hype around 3.5's release.

I like 3.5 better though. Seems more grounded. But RIP Mewtwo.

Link still seems really good. Maybe it's just hard for me to get used to him. So much of his toolkit is safe now, and it's strange to me lol.

His custom regular boomerang is godly

emb

His custom regular boomerang is godly
I haven't really tried it out. Is it similar to his 64 boomerang, or is unprecedented? Are his meteor bombs as great as they sound?

Actually, while we're on the topic, I know a lot of you guys have started playing with customs all the time. What are some of the coolest, most important, game changing customs?

I played against a Villager with a tree custom that made the sapling hurt you... that was already pretty annoying. Other than that I have little experience. None of Sheik's customs seem super useful. Maybe penetrating needles for certain matchups, but even then probably not.

I haven't really tried it out. Is it similar to his 64 boomerang, or is unprecedented? Are his meteor bombs as great as they sound?

Actually, while we're on the topic, I know a lot of you guys have started playing with customs all the time. What are some of the coolest, most important, game changing customs?

I played against a Villager with a tree custom that made the sapling hurt you... that was already pretty annoying. Other than that I have little experience. None of Sheik's customs seem super useful. Maybe penetrating needles for certain matchups, but even then probably not.

Yea pretty much. He can throw it at a quicker rate, and it hits coming back. The villager one is a big one, and extremely annoying. Promotes camping. Palutena benefits greatly from customs. She goes from mediocre to pretty good. There are some that don't really benefit much, like Ness

Starting to get back into For Glory, and I feel like I'm starting to get to the point where I'm not expecting to get totally thrashed off the bat. I'm starting to win more and more, and starting to feel a bit more in control of matches. However, I'm still TERRIBLE at fighting characters I haven't fought a lot, such as Yoshi and Sonic. Most fights I at least feel I can hold my own, but as soon as one of those two shows up, I might as well put the controller down haha.

Boney

Banned
Guys I found a hard counter for jigglypuff :p

http://youtu.be/lI8NJtmU-xo

DK becomes a whole new character and is amazing with customs, but for the most part, most characters have one or two moves that are better or great sidegrades.

Top Bottom