• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Boney

Banned
Fun games dude, was interesting to use side characters for once since we never change to secondaries heh.

Was fun pew pewing you in that last fight, but I can't use Megaman at all sadly. When I got the game I tried maining him but he's too unorthodox for me. Getting that uppercut felt great though.

Anyways, good night had a lot of fun. :)

Fun games dude, was interesting to use side characters for once since we never change to secondaries heh.

Was fun pew pewing you in that last fight, but I can't use Megaman at all sadly. When I got the game I tried maining him but he's too unorthodox for me. Getting that uppercut felt great though.

Anyways, good night had a lot of fun. :)

Yeah, great games Boney! You're right, we always use our mains when playing haha. It was fun to change it up this time.

Great stuff all around. That upper you got was off a delayed input, so it stung even more haha. I didn't think you were playing MM bad though!

Lots of fun as usual, thanks for playing!

If anyone else wants to play a few (just a few for reals :p) drop me a line!

I want to play more, but I have to go to sleep! Good games Beat! When I saw you bust out the Wii Fit Trainer I realized I DID play you before--on the 3DS! She was just as troublesome as I remembered. :p Really nice Zero Suit Samus as well. Just like last night, I can't figure out how to punish that down B at all.

Nabster92

GGs. Got any advice for my Yoshi and Lucario? Other than improving my overall general abilities like off stage and guarding.

Anyone else want to play?

Maybe it was because I wasn't punishing it more often, but I feel like you almost always took the option of jumping off the ledge whenever you're there. I think I knew you'd choose that option every time, but my brain kept telling me to cover the other options instead expecting you to mix it up.

If you do find yourself taking hits when you do that, make sure you change up what you do so it doesn't keep happening.

I can't really remember many other specific things like that since I kinda just go on intuition instead of articulating things I do in my head, but I'm sure you have a lot of habits that I was just taking advantage of for free many times. Try to learn to adapt to things that you get hit by as soon as possible and try to mix up your game more before you get taken advantage of too much.

Another example I remember is during our Marth dittos, when I would do the first 3 hits of dancing blade, you countered before the 4th one came out and hit me the first time. Then I realized you would do that so I waited on the 4th hit the next time and you did the same thing and took an up-b after your counter instead. Then I did it again and you still countered again and then I forward smashed you.

Every time you get hit, try to recognize why you got hit. Did you do something unsafe and get punished on reaction? Did your opponent just throw something out that covered a good percentage of options you could have done in that moment? Or did you do something out of a habit that your opponent picked up on and punished because they knew you would do that? Regardless of which was the reason, if you can realize when you're in the same type of situation again, you can change what you do and maybe even turn it around and punish them if they try to do what hit you the first time.

Beats

I want to play more, but I have to go to sleep! Good games Beat! When I saw you bust out the Wii Fit Trainer I realized I DID play you before--on the 3DS! She was just as troublesome as I remembered. :p Really nice Zero Suit Samus as well. Just like last night, I can't figure out how to punish that down B at all.

Good games! I felt like I was playing poorly though. > . <

I probably shouldn't play this with the gamepad.

SoldnerKei

seems like it's getting laggier each game we play D:

tell me if you're ok with this Adder, I am having fun, but Lag can mess up stuff in some games :c
edit: well, that Ganondorf vs Lucario match was a little more better regarding the lag, but still comes and goes D:

edit 2: Good Games Adder, sadly there was quite some lag in our games, nevertheless thanks for playing it was fun!

The Adder

Banned
seems like it's getting laggier each game we play D:

tell me if you're ok with this Adder, I am having fun, but Lag can mess up stuff in some games :c
edit: well, that Ganondorf vs Lucario match was a little more better regarding the lag, but still comes and goes D:

Yeah, it was getting worse. Anyways, dude, GGs. You're kinda just outright better than me though, heh.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Namikaze. You have a good Yoshi and a nice Sheik (though I wouldn't go for dash attack with her so much). Fun matches!

Maybe it was because I wasn't punishing it more often, but I feel like you almost always took the option of jumping off the ledge whenever you're there. I think I knew you'd choose that option every time, but my brain kept telling me to cover the other options instead expecting you to mix it up.

If you do find yourself taking hits when you do that, make sure you change up what you do so it doesn't keep happening.

I can't really remember many other specific things like that since I kinda just go on intuition instead of articulating things I do in my head, but I'm sure you have a lot of habits that I was just taking advantage of for free many times. Try to learn to adapt to things that you get hit by as soon as possible and try to mix up your game more before you get taken advantage of too much.

Another example I remember is during our Marth dittos, when I would do the first 3 hits of dancing blade, you countered before the 4th one came out and hit me the first time. Then I realized you would do that so I waited on the 4th hit the next time and you did the same thing and took an up-b after your counter instead. Then I did it again and you still countered again and then I forward smashed you.

Every time you get hit, try to recognize why you got hit. Did you do something unsafe and get punished on reaction? Did your opponent just throw something out that covered a good percentage of options you could have done in that moment? Or did you do something out of a habit that your opponent picked up on and punished because they knew you would do that? Regardless of which was the reason, if you can realize when you're in the same type of situation again, you can change what you do and maybe even turn it around and punish them if they try to do what hit you the first time.

I knew I was always jumping to get up even though you almost always punished it. I don't know why I kept doing it. Same with the Marth counter. Thanks for the advice, and assuring me that you knew what I was going to do.

GGs Namikaze. You have a good Yoshi and a nice Sheik (though I wouldn't go for dash attack with her so much). Fun matches!

GGs and thanks. I didn't think I was doing too well with Yoshi. I probably played too much today. I literally started playing Shiek against Nabster right before you. I know I should short hop a ton with her, but the timing of her short hops is crazy. You are really good with practically everyone you used, especially your Link. Normally I don't do that bad against projectile characters.

Well, I hit 200 hours with the game today. Time to take a break until I need to do my ranbats next week.

jon_dojah

Banned
Saw this and am wondering just how many special moves there are total. I was told there are only 376 in the game.

ed0f579049.jpg

jon_dojah

Banned
^If there are 49 characters with 12 special moves total thats 588. Where does 612 come from? I'm assuming 12 specials each for the 50th and possible 51st DLC characters?

How do I win in For Glory? For example, last night I was playing as Jigglypuff against a predictable Captain Falcon, yet I still ended up losing. I knew what he was going to do, if he was above me he'd instantly try a Falcon Kick, if he was on the ground he'd try a dash attack or side B, if I got close he'd shield, which I'd Pound, and so on, but I couldn't manage to beat him, even though I know I was playing better than them.

My problem is I struggle with people who roll constantly, which is what happens on FG a lot. I'm fine with people rolling every now and then, but I can't deal with people who roll non stop. I guess I could punish with rest as Jigglypuff, but I'm bound to screw that up.

I main Ness. My secondaries right now are primarily Pac-Man, Mii Brawler, Link, and Wii Fit Trainer. I am picking up Bowser and Jiggly Puff a little more and will prob try out another character or two soon

I honestly felt like your WFT dominated me the most (Compared to Ness and the others), but that may have been partially the matchup.

How do I win in For Glory? For example, last night I was playing as Jigglypuff against a predictable Captain Falcon, yet I still ended up losing. I knew what he was going to do, if he was above me he'd instantly try a Falcon Kick, if he was on the ground he'd try a dash attack or side B, if I got close he'd shield, which I'd Pound, and so on, but I couldn't manage to beat him, even though I know I was playing better than them.

My problem is I struggle with people who roll constantly, which is what happens on FG a lot. I'm fine with people rolling every now and then, but I can't deal with people who roll non stop. I guess I could punish with rest as Jigglypuff, but I'm bound to screw that up.

Default response to rolling is down smash. At higher levels, predict when they roll and punish. Jiggs can respond with fsmash or short hop bair, depending on which way you're facing. Unfortunately moves like fair, nair, dair and ftilt all send the opponent too far to effectively combo, but not far enough to reliably kill. Hitting an opponent on the ground with Jiggs's uair is tough since the hitbox is so high. Jiggs's best throw is her back throw, but even that isn't great. I'd go with fsmash if you have time, or short hop bair if you're facing away. If you don't think you can pull it off, go dsmash.

Jiggs's fsmash kills Falcon at about 90%, whereas dsmash and bair kill him closer to 130%. Bair is better than dsmash in general though, as it kills at lower %s against most characters, like closer to 100-110%. It kills Mac at closer to 90%. Dsmash is better against Doc, but that's because he has horrible recovery. It can kill him at 90% instead of bair's 105%.

I honestly felt like your WFT dominated me the most (Compared to Ness and the others), but that may have been partially the matchup.

Default response to rolling is down smash. At higher levels, predict when they roll and punish. Jiggs can respond with fsmash or short hop bair, depending on which way you're facing. Unfortunately moves like fair, nair, dair and ftilt all send the opponent too far to effectively combo, but not far enough to reliably kill. Hitting an opponent on the ground with Jiggs's uair is tough since the hitbox is so high. Jiggs's best throw is her back throw, but even that isn't great. I'd go with fsmash if you have time, or short hop bair if you're facing away. If you don't think you can pull it off, go dsmash.

Jiggs's fsmash kills Falcon at about 90%, whereas dsmash and bair kill him closer to 130%. Bair is better than dsmash in general though, as it kills at lower %s against most characters, like closer to 100-110%. It kills Mac at closer to 90%. Dsmash is better against Doc, but that's because he has horrible recovery. It can kill him at 90% instead of bair's 105%.

Right, thanks. I'm just not used to people rolling so damn much.

Dear people: use the ethernet adapter.

Jesus fucking christ Megaman is the MOST ANNOYING THING EVER when your inputs are lagging by half a second. Seriously does no one use the damn wired network adapter?

Boney

Banned

Rollers should definately not be an issue with jiggs. Only go for the rest when you've conditioned your opponent to roll towards you, but never abuse it. As mentioned his nair and fair will cover so much space and so quickly any retreating roll is gonna get punished by them.
As for the other stuff, I guess you're not shielding much. Any aerial falcon kick should be easily punished and should only hit you if you whiff a hit when sharking him from below, but if that's all he did it should be a problem. Same with dash and side b, shield or dodge and then counter, with jiggs you can jump back and then go forward in the same jump and hit him. Abuse jiggs air mobility to create openings. Cross him up and attack from behind or above and always retreat after a shielded attack but stay on the offensive.
Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I think pound should be used when the shield is already weakened to force the shield break or really diminish bus shield.

The thing is with jiggs, you gotta chase down opponents of stage and wall em out. That's your priority and should get you the most kills, especially against falcon that can be gimped easily

jon_dojah

Banned
Dear people: use the ethernet adapter.

Jesus fucking christ Megaman is the MOST ANNOYING THING EVER when your inputs are lagging by half a second. Seriously does no one use the damn wired network adapter?

I also main Megs and I'm on ethernet and have had that same outcry. I think the number of people with wired Wii U's is small especially with how the lan adapter is more rare than the gcn adapter and some people are too intimidated to buy non-Nintendo brand. And some people are just content with the speeds they get from WiFi. My speeds doubled once I got my lan adapter but I still get lag from others.

edit: I'll add you when I'm done turbo-farming for custom specials. Been running if for about 24 hours now and unlocked 80 so far :)

I also main Megs and I'm on ethernet and have had that same outcry. I think the number of people with wired Wii U's is small especially with how the lan adapter is more rare than the gcn adapter and some people are too intimidated to buy non-Nintendo brand. And some people are just content with the speeds they get from WiFi. My speeds doubled once I got my lan adapter but I still get lag from others.

edit: I'll add you when I'm done turbo-farming for custom specials. Been running if for about 24 hours now and unlocked 80 so far :)
And how exactly are you doing that might I ask?

Alright, sent. You can host.
Sorry! I waited about ten minutes but never got a response, and had to step out.

Can we make OT3:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT3| Buy a Fucking Ethernet Adapter

We should.

Top Bottom