• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Boney

Banned
You should be countering those charge shots whenever I'm punishing your landings. Although I realize it's a little laggy and its gonna be extra hard, it's your best bet

The Adder

Banned
You should be countering those charge shots whenever I'm punishing your landings. Although I realize it's a little laggy and its gonna be extra hard, it's your best bet

GGs.

Ugh, I still can't beat a good Samus to save my life. Not that lacking that inequity would have won me any games against you anyways, given I couldn't beat your Marth either, but yeah, I've got no idea how to go about fighting against a Samus that knows what they're doing.

I was trying to air dodge them, not sure how much help counter would be as it would either launch me back off the stage or towards you while defenseless.

The Marth matches were better, at least.

Boney

Banned
I thought about that but at some point it became too predictable and besides, Ike's counter is slooooooooooow, it caught my opponent off guard once but way too slow to be a reliable solution

Sounds great, I already try to do a lot of aerial move but I don't know when I should use them. But how do you use Bair while advancing ?
Ike's aerials really are really good. Neutral air covers a lot of ground below you, you can use it when you think someone's gonna roll towards you, you can use it to attack his shield because it has little landing lag (it's not completely safe so try to space it out.) and you can jump over them as you hit them landing on the other side. It's a great move that can be used to put enemies on bad positions.
Forward air has insane reach both horizontally and vertically, if you space it out correctly you can use it as as a wall and to harrass them pretty safely. You need to short hop and get them out. You'll be alternating between nair and fair to change the rhythm.

To do back airs you need to reverse them. In order to do that, you need run in a direction, then push the other way so that characters slides the other way and then immediately jump and press the original direction. That way the character turns around but keeps the momentum from the run. Back air is super fast and hits really strong, it's a very good room but it has mediocre reach so watch out for that. You gotta do it really fast but it's easy once you're used to doing it. You can jump behind an opponent and doing it, it can work. You can do this reverse in order to edge guard with back aerials for all characters if it's a favorable attack.

Also, air dodging short hops need to be done right away in order to land with no landing lag so you can follow up with jabs or grabs because they're fast enough to catch opponents off guard.

GGs.

Ugh, I still can't beat a good Samus to save my life. Not that lacking that inequity would have won me any games against you anyways, given I couldn't beat your Marth either, but yeah, I've got no idea how to go about fighting against a Samus that knows what they're doing.

I was trying to air dodge them, not sure how much help counter would be as it would either launch me back off the stage or towards you while defenseless.

The Marth matches were better, at least.
Air dodging is exactly what I want you to do because that's gonna make you land and get hit by the charge shots. The best standard option is to land as fast as you can and just shield it. Not sure about the end lag of lucario's counter but it can save you in case you aren't gonna hit the floor in time. Other characters that can do more air jumps, or stall in the air can also fake me out.

What you want to do against samus in order to clear the gap is to go from the air and landing to close distance. You want to be careful when you use your second jump because that leaves you in a helpless state and don't over commit on the approach. Never roll against the projectiles spam, it's very predictable and dangerous. In fact you're rolling way too much as well to move towards one end of the stage to another both on offense and defense.

And not to deflate your spirits or anything but I've barely touched Marth, did 4 fights before we fought and I must've used him less than 15 times in total as well. I suck bad with him, but I'd love to be good with him though. Got motivated cause I saw a good player last night

GGs Karst. Sorry, got to go to work, otherwise I'd play more. Your Bowser is great as usual.
GGs. First time playing against Diddy Kong so it was a learning experience. He doesn't seem unmanageable, though. I really liked the variety of custom setups you had going.

FSLink

Banned
GGs. First time playing against Diddy Kong so it was a learning experience. He doesn't seem unmanageable, though. I really liked the variety of custom setups you had going.

I think Diddy Kong beats Bowser easily without customs but the Dash Claw helps him tons and makes it feel more even. Not sure if Battering Banana is better in the matchup or not, since I'm more familiar with the setups you can get off of default.
And thanks. Was trying some new ones out, like I use Ness's Lucas PK Thunder quite a bit but haven't tried it against heavy weights.

JulianImp

I might be able to play some matches if anyone wants to try. We can always do lag test matches before to make sure things aren't too bad.

Matches, anyone?

I might be able to play some matches if anyone wants to try. We can always do lag test matches before to make sure things aren't too bad.
I have a room up.

I think Diddy Kong beats Bowser easily without customs but the Dash Claw helps him tons and makes it feel more even. Not sure if Battering Banana is better in the matchup or not, since I'm more familiar with the setups you can get off of default.
And thanks. Was trying some new ones out, like I use Ness's Lucas PK Thunder quite a bit but haven't tried it against heavy weights.
I definitely think Lasting PK Thunder is an improvement. Bowser can attack and destroy the default one, but not Lasting. Very hard to deal with.

I am still iffy on Dash Klaw. So many missed punishes...

Nabster92

GG's Flux. Got really close there. Starting to not be a fan of this game deciding stage business with that set. That was like 6/9 games on FD.

I want to play.

GG's Flux. Got really close there. Starting to not be a fan of this game deciding stage business with that set. That was like 6/9 games on FD.
Anything else seems too cumbersome, but I did have an idea from a tournament I played at:

If you win on a stage, you may not pick it again. The loser can, but not the winner. All FD stages would be equivalent for these purposes.

Thoughts?

Boney

Banned
GGs, Nabster. That was a close set, 4-5.
Wow, must've been some hella of a matches

I want to play.

Anything else seems too cumbersome, but I did have an idea from a tournament I played at:

If you win on a stage, you may not pick it again. The loser can, but not the winner. All FD stages would be equivalent for these purposes.

Thoughts?
That's not a bad idea actually; but it might force stages like lylat or halberd in some instances

Boney

Banned
Alright, let me add you real quick since it seems I still haven't done so. My NNID's JulianImp.

What rules will we use for stages, customs, stocks, time and all that? I still haven't experimented that much with customs, though.
we go by the standard evo rules here, customs on, 2 stocks, 5 minutes (or is it 6?) and all the legal stages are available

Alright, let me add you real quick since it seems I still haven't done so. My NNID's JulianImp.

What rules will we use for stages, customs, stocks, time and all that? I still haven't experimented that much with customs, though.
Typical neutral stages, 2 stock 5 min, customs on.

FluxWaveZ

Wow, must've been some hella of a matches

Had to leave for 10 minutes during the set, which broke the momentum but, yeah, they were alright. Started to understand how Rosalina works a bit after getting pummeled at the start, and then eventually adapted so that the matches actually got contentious.

Only have 1 point in bracket 1 for now, though. I'm anticipating my matches with the other two I need to fight.

DooD1234

So I'm watching KTAR stream and saw Dabuz custom Rosalina. Wow total destruction against this Thinderstorm guy and Luma warp makes her even more like a puppet character. Also that star bit custom I can see will make it frustrating as Rosalina is already a tough wall to break her defense with Luma by her side.

Nabster92

I want to play.

Thoughts?

I don't think that works as well for ranbats due to the number of matches that need to be played. Even if you won 5 straight, you'd be forced to pick 5 different stages each time and possibly have to pick a stage that neither person actually wants to play on.

Unless you mean just for the next match you can't pick the one you just won on in the previous game. That seems reasonable to me.

Anyone want to play?

Man, I got demolished. Still, is the lag bearable for you?
Far beyond bearable. Are you wired?

I don't think that works as well for ranbats due to the number of matches that need to be played. Even if you won 5 straight, you'd be forced to pick 5 different stages each time and possibly have to pick a stage that neither person actually wants to play on.

Unless you mean just for the next match you can't pick the one you just won on in the previous game. That seems reasonable to me.
Hmm, that could work. Then you at least force some extra variety.

Edit: Whoops, sorry Karst, turns out I actually can't right this second.

Buddy of mine just got here.

We'll be on Smash later, maybe I'll enlist two people for teams later on.

Sorry again Karst!

Cronox

Banned
If you fast fall the fair right away, you are right, it lags. If you fast fall the last 10 frames of your fall or so, it lands and still autocancels. The timing is tricky, but it works.

We should try doubles with your Jiggs sometime.

I tried this in training yesterday, but even at 1/4 speed I couldn't tell much of a difference. Like you say, it's possible near the end of the fall, but it gives such a small frame advantage (3 or so?) that I can't really see myself working on it. Fair followups with something like dtilt are only possible at very low percentages, and if my fair gets shielded I don't think the extra few frames are going to stop me from getting grabbed.

Cronoc, I dont think the full hop air dodge tech on battlefield actually works like that poster thinks. It isn't cancelling anything, you just recover and can do a move.

I spent the last hour practicing playing Bowser with no A moves so I can do better against Blackmage.

I spent some time trying to do the full hop air dodge cancel on battlefield platforms too, the timing was very hard and I never figured out exactly when the best time to airdodge was after liftoff. Trying to go into an up-b would nearly always give me the aerial version of the move even it if seemed like Bowser was on the ground. I think you're right that it's moreso that the air dodge finishes completely in the air and Bowser lands normally than a real canceled action. Indistinguishable from that, anyway.

I'm up to play at the moment, looking to get stomped and question my self-worth. Anyone around that can do that?

I tried this in training yesterday, but even at 1/4 speed I couldn't tell much of a difference. Like you say, it's possible near the end of the fall, but it gives such a small frame advantage (3 or so?) that I can't really see myself working on it. Fair followups with something like dtilt are only possible at very low percentages, and if my fair gets shielded I don't think the extra few frames are going to stop me from getting grabbed.

I spent some time trying to do the full hop air dodge cancel on battlefield platforms too, the timing was very hard and I never figured out exactly when the best time to airdodge was after liftoff. Trying to go into an up-b would nearly always give me the aerial version of the move even it if seemed like Bowser was on the ground. I think you're right that it's moreso that the air dodge finishes completely in the air and Bowser lands normally than a real canceled action. Indistinguishable from that, anyway.

I'm up to play at the moment, looking to get stomped and question my self-worth. Anyone around that can do that?
I want to do doubles with your Jiggs.

Top Bottom