• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

People don't play Yoshi right now even though he's really good, but that applies to half the cast. I feel like the tournament metagame is stagnated badly right now. Games outside of tournaments tend to be much more interesting.

Boney

Banned
Anybody wanna play?

Yoshi in this game is ridiculous, in surprised there's not many people invested in him. Probably because he sucked in brawl so there's not many people following up on him and many other people went to their characters or new favourites

Anyone see that thing about Sakurai saying Takamaru very nearly made the cut, but they ultimately decided against him because he's just not well-known enough?

Sorry, Takamaru fans. That's really gotta sting. Especially when you look at the roster and see Palutena, Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, Ike, and the other relatively unknown (to non-enthusiasts) characters on the roster. >_<

FSLink

Banned
I need to use that custom Skullbash more. I'm so used to only using Pikachu's side B as only a recovery move lol.

It's pretty much a straight upgrade. If you're launched as Pikachu by the enemy, you can mash sideB (Heavy Skull Bash) and keep the momentum to basically launch back incredible distances. It's also basically a faster fsmash.

Thunder Shock is a great neutral B too, and Thunder Wave is underrated and great in matchups vs zoning characters.

Do you have any resources for Pikachu btw? I'm trying to pick him up more seriously since I struggle in the Diddy mirror and I feel Pikachu wins that matchup. I think I need to work on quick attacks since I mostly understand how his offstage game works...

People don't play Yoshi right now even though he's really good, but that applies to half the cast. I feel like the tournament metagame is stagnated badly right now. Games outside of tournaments tend to be much more interesting.
When money's on the line, it definitely feels like people are going with what they know will let them win rather than try something outside the box. The two aren't mutually exclusive nor is it a bad thing to think, but I think we're more likely to experiment when we know we won't be losing anything major from the probable losses that come with it.
You should get with the times on this.

Funny thing about customs, I actually was never fully on board with adopting them so early. Mewtwo isn't out, and it's too late to decide some custom movesets for him so the likely fate for him is either default only or banned until after EVO. As well, I feel like people are now leaning too heavily on custom move gimmicks rather than dedicating this early time with the game to advance their character's default meta. If custom moves end up being too problematic down the line, the meta will end up regressing because so many people have invested time into customs rather than fully understanding their character's options.

On the other hand, this sudden customs movement has led to everyone discovering custom moves like that crazy Skull Bash, Timber Counter, Power Vision, Order Tackle + Reflector and so on much earlier than otherwise. We're finding out the bad alongside the good sooner than if we let customs be that side thing, and this only means we can develop new counter-strategies at a much earlier point in the game's life than if they were introduced later.

Customs are a weird thing, but I'm down with them because the Western scene is and I can't just ignore it. Plus, I get to actually win with Doc every-so-often. :3

Anyone see that thing about Sakurai saying Takamaru very nearly made the cut, but they ultimately decided against him because he's just not well-known enough?

Sorry, Takamaru fans. That's really gotta sting. Especially when you look at the roster and see Palutena, Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, Ike, and the other relatively unknown (to non-enthusiasts) characters on the roster. >_<

It read more like Sakurai was thinking about whether to throw Takamaru on the list of characters to bother working on, then decided "nah, put him with Chrom and the rest." I'm curious what other characters were trashed in this period before work on the game truly began.

Also, Palutena and Dark Pit were in Kid Icarus: Uprising, Duck Hunt dude come on, and Ike was in Brawl as "that cheap motherfucker with the strong-ass smash attacks" to casuals. Pretty good reps if you ask me.

Are you saying Duck Hunt isn't well known outside of enthusiasts? That is madness.

The rest of the characters had games recently. They are relevant.

FSLink

Banned
Funny thing about customs, I actually was never fully on board with adopting them so early. Mewtwo isn't out, and it's too late to decide some custom movesets for him so the likely fate for him is either default only or banned until after EVO.

Custom move project is going to add 10 movesets to Mewtwo real fast as soon as he comes out. Mewtwo shouldn't be banned unless he gets delayed.

It's also cool seeing customs people thought were useless getting some recognition. ex: Scalding FLUDD

Are you saying Duck Hunt isn't well known outside of enthusiasts? That is madness.

The rest of the characters had games recently. They are relevant.

I'd say so. It's getting old enough. How many kids nowadays know what Duck Hunt is outside of enthusiasts or kids with older siblings with retro consoles?

I'd say Shulk and Duck Hunt are the "unknown" characters this time around at least to non hardcore gamers. :p

jnWake

Lol I played a guy in FG yesterday who started ragequitting because he couldn't handle Yoshi's Eggs. He started changing his nickname to stuff like "COULD U STOP SPAMMING", "U SPAMMY" and other crap. It's sadly full of idiots in FG.

I mean, he ragequitted because I throwed eggs... I was kicking his ass anyway.

TWILT

Banned
It's pretty much a straight upgrade. If you're launched as Pikachu by the enemy, you can mash sideB (Heavy Skull Bash) and keep the momentum to basically launch back incredible distances. It's also basically a faster fsmash.

Thunder Shock is a great neutral B too, and Thunder Wave is underrated and great in matchups vs zoning characters.

Do you have any resources for Pikachu btw? I'm trying to pick him up more seriously since I struggle in the Diddy mirror and I feel Pikachu wins that matchup. I think I need to work on quick attacks since I mostly understand how his offstage game works...

I need to practice Pikachu's other customs some more; still mainly using the 1311 set.

As for resources, the best Pikachu player I know is probably Esam, and I watch a lot of his match videos. There's also this Pikachu tutorial from NAKAT. Other than that, I mostly just practiced a lot with his QA movement. It's great for shield pressure, getting in on the opponent and/or playing a hit and run style.

Boney

Banned
There's no reason to limit characters abilities because people haven't developed the "meta" yet.
The only problem is that because they're so hard to unlock, regular people have no idea what non popular characters do so that's a problem that shouldn't be happening to such a degree.

Also, Palutena and Dark Pit were in Kid Icarus: Uprising, Duck Hunt dude come on, and Ike was in Brawl as "that cheap motherfucker with the strong-ass smash attacks" to casuals. Pretty good reps if you ask me.

Oh, don't get me wrong - Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of my favorite games of all time and Palutena, Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, and Ike are all great Smash characters and deserve their place on the roster! I was just saying that they're all about as recognizable as Takamaru (read: not at all) to non-gaming/Nintendo enthusiasts. So are Marth, Robin, and Lucina for that matter!

But no, I wasn't trying to suggest that Takamaru should have gotten in over them or anything. I'm not a Takamaru fan, though I sure did feel bad for them when he was so unceremoniously revealed as an Assist Trophy!

It was me.

For some reason my Wii U has been getting an error code lately where it claims that it can't find a Wi-Fi network. =_= I'm going to restart the console and try once more to log on. How annoying...

Top Bottom