• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Masked Man

I said wow
Already posted this over on Reddit, but here are some interesting facts I picked out from Sakurai's recent interview:
  • Sakurai once considered Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club) for inclusion as a playable character in SSBM, but ultimately scrapped the idea because she's relatively unknown outside of Japan.
  • He also considered Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle) as a playable character in SSB4 for "just a moment" before deciding against it due to his similar lack of popularity overseas.
    Sakurai is very aware of Miiverse's cries for Goku, SpongeBob, and all the other suggestions that pop up.
  • He does oversee all the arrangements in a general "yes/no" approval sense. Even pieces that don't quite fit his vision occasionally pass the test, since players can adjust which play and which don't via the My Music feature.
  • Itoken and Sakurai both love the Space Armada theme from StarFox, and Itoken was really excited to get the opportunity to arrange it in Brawl.
  • Michiko Naruke's "Stickerbrush Symphony" arrangement from Brawl was a rare case in that the piece deviated greatly from the original, but still succeeded in its own right.
  • Sakurai personally asked Masato Koda to arrange Zero Suit Samus' theme in the same style as Monster Hunter. Koda worried he might be typecast, but Sakurai reassured him that fans would appreciate the stylistic consistency. The end product was, indeed, very MH-esque.
  • As a general rule, Sakurai requests that arrangers refrain from altering the main melody of a given piece. The melodic line is what fans look forward to hearing, and to change it in some drastic way would disappoint many players. Thus, he asks the musicians to infuse pieces with their own flavor by making adjustments to the harmonies, rhythm, instrumentation, and so forth.
  • As far as music selection goes, Sakurai doesn't tell the musicians which tracks to arrange. Instead, he lays out a list of several hundred tracks he think would be a good fit for Smash, provides samples of the original pieces, and then it's essentially first-come, first-served. Major pieces like those from Zelda, etc. are actually not as popular as some might think, presumably because of the pressure involved in being responsible for their arrangement. (Interestingly, Hideki Sakamoto was pretty quick about going for the LoZ Main Theme this time around.)
  • And lots of irritating babbling by Sugita throughout... Not a fan of his voice or his super-affected way of speaking. :X

Is everyone done? GGs all, I had lots of fun! Anki, you were pretty solid man, but I felt like you were missing the team spirit sometimes with the whole fsmashing me every-so-often bit. :p

Good games, everyone!

Haha, I'm sorry! Honestly this is the second time I've played doubles since I got the game. I'm still trying to get used to it. I assure you, those fsmashes were not intentional. :p You were awesome too!

Jorge's Little Mac is every bit as frightening as I feared, too...

Er...wait, was everyone done playing? I thought Jorge had to go, so I left.

Who's Sugita?

Also Famicom detective club whyyyyy

Check out the Ike video :)
Japanese voice actor of Chrom.

Yep, that's an Ike. This might be my rustyness showing, but I noticed you didn't follow up dtilt with an aerial, and when Yoshi was tossed in the air you'd go for bair instead of uair. Usually I'd gauge whether a certain attack can hit if the opponent elects not to fastfall, and in situations like when Yoshi's above I'd almost always go for uair unless he's so close that fair will do the job. Good stuff against a random though. Also, aether isn't your only follow-up to dthrow, and at low percents the opponent can DI far enough away that a better option is to chase with fair or uair if they airdodge. Of course, this is all based on how well you condition your opponent or see patterns in their play, not something usually needed on FG. :p
Good games, everyone!

Haha, I'm sorry! Honestly this is the second time I've played doubles since I got the game. I'm still trying to get used to it. I assure you, those fsmashes were not intentional. :p You were awesome too!

Jorge's Little Mac is every bit as frightening as I feared, too...

Er...wait, was everyone done playing? I thought Jorge had to go, so I left.

No worries, it's all good!

Wait, were we supposed to keep going? I'll let someone else take my place, my hands need a break from Smash.

Masked Man

I said wow
What was the context for Sakurai bringing this up?

Apparently Sugita is a big fan of the series and was hoping to see Ayumi in Smash, so he was disappointed that she only appeared as a trophy. He even went so far as to ask Sakurai to include her in the game, haha. Sakurai apparently also enjoys the series, but he ultimately didn't feel like Ayumi would be a good choice due to her lack of popularity overseas.

Boney

Banned
Japanese voice actor of Chrom.

Yep, that's an Ike. This might be my rustyness showing, but I noticed you didn't follow up dtilt with an aerial, and when Yoshi was tossed in the air you'd go for bair instead of uair. Usually I'd gauge whether a certain attack can hit if the opponent elects not to fastfall, and in situations like when Yoshi's above I'd almost always go for uair unless he's so close that fair will do the job. Good stuff against a random though. Also, aether isn't your only follow-up to dthrow, and at low percents the opponent can DI far enough away that a better option is to chase with fair or uair if they airdodge. Of course, this is all based on how well you condition your opponent or see patterns in their play, not something usually needed on FG. :p

No worries, it's all good!

Wait, were we supposed to keep going? I'll let someone else take my place, my hands need a break from Smash.
I'm completely self trained. Didn't realize you could follow dtilt with aerials. And I realize that aether is not always a good follow up but it's a bad habit, that and not using up throw

Custom villager against Ike oh god
Plus did you really just throw three bowling balls in a row and I got hit by one? Lol

You and your stupid stages lol fuck wuhu

I'm completely self trained. Didn't realize you could follow dtilt with aerials. And I realize that aether is not always a good follow up but it's a bad habit, that and not using up throw

Haha, my spacies are also totally self trained. Yep, dtilt sends them at the right trajectory (at low percents) that you can jump and fair them usually. Gotta see who it works on though; certain characters are light enough that you won't reach them in time I think. Up throw I only ever use to unstale dthrow if I'm going for the kill, otherwise I don't use it because it has too little hitstun for my liking. It might have follow ups with heavy characters, but I wouldn't know.

Ricky 7

Namikaze my nephew has woken up and I'm on baby sitting duty, Awesome games though. If I can put him back to sleep I might be back in 30 mins.

Boney

Banned
You can't switch to rosa to keep disrespecting me like that after beating with Ganon like that! Jeeesus poor Ike, I'm just not sure how to approach

Namikaze my nephew has woken up and I'm on baby sitting duty, Awesome games though. If I can put him back to sleep I might be back in 30 mins.

Alright, good games. I hope you didn't mind my rage-quits, in their various forms. Charizard is fucking bullshit with his d-smash (especially at ledge), his f-smash that seems to hit me no matter what, and at ledge if I jump up! Rock Smash is ridiculous; it blocks fair by just receiving the damage, and then you are able to follow up faster, usually. Flamethrower wasn't balance at all... Bowser has a horrible fire breath, and Charizard has this OP flamethrower that practically guarantees a ledge guard unless I recover high, and then I cannot get to the ground. Jumping and doing nair(?) with his jabs coming out right away is just frustrating. Most of those kills you got with flare blitz were my mistake, so that move is fine.

Do you have any tips? I mean, after I stopped getting mad and focused on using Yoshi, I started doing better. But, whenever I am in the air, I can never get to the ground and you easily rack on the damage. Even on the ground you have your rangy tilts and fast jabs, and a short hop flamethrower. It was near impossible to kill you because you were able to air dodge or rock smash the majority of my fairs, and usmash and uair were quite hard to land. I am thinking I should have a control tag set to attacks on c-stick. Or I should at least use the c-stick to try and kill with fsmash.

I know this just sound so ranty and a ton of excuses, but I haven't faced many Charizards, and the ones I have faced are pretty bad, unlike you. Lylat Cruise is a good stage, except for the fact that it is even harder to land. I never realized Charizard could be that good.

Boney

Banned
Fucking slow ass counter

Wooioooooo finally I got a match! Believe in the Ike train baby. Was just gonna say how i was gonna give up on him forever

Welp the hype is gone. Sonic really is unpunishable. I'm at a loss really
Yeah I got butthurt playing Ricky too. That charizard is absolutely disgusting, far too good for a charizard
Oh man I wanna see that

Good to see Ricky's playing more people, I can never forget our matches from months ago. I wonder if he uses any of Charizard's customs? I'd love to play him again, but damn that Charizard is a fucking tank, better range than you'd think and more abusable super armor than you'd expect. :O

Trey

gonna have to bail on those queued matches, Karst. My connection is horrible right now. I gotta come to a solution for this before I get back to playing online because it's been a persistent problem as of late.

I still owe you some bouts.

gonna have to bail on those queued matches, Karst. My connection is horrible right now. I gotta come to a solution for this before I get back to playing online because it's been a persistent problem as of late.

I still owe you some bouts.
I won't forget the debt!

Boney

Banned
That forward smash counts as a thousand wins lol
And that taunt was super appropriate, died almost at 200% lol

I just have no idea what to do against you. It's pretty demoralizing... Poor ike

jnWake

Alright, good games. I hope you didn't mind my rage-quits, in their various forms. Charizard is fucking bullshit with his d-smash (especially at ledge), his f-smash that seems to hit me no matter what, and at ledge if I jump up! Rock Smash is ridiculous; it blocks fair by just receiving the damage, and then you are able to follow up faster, usually. Flamethrower wasn't balance at all... Bowser has a horrible fire breath, and Charizard has this OP flamethrower that practically guarantees a ledge guard unless I recover high, and then I cannot get to the ground. Jumping and doing nair(?) with his jabs coming out right away is just frustrating. Most of those kills you got with flare blitz were my mistake, so that move is fine.

Do you have any tips? I mean, after I stopped getting mad and focused on using Yoshi, I started doing better. But, whenever I am in the air, I can never get to the ground and you easily rack on the damage. Even on the ground you have your rangy tilts and fast jabs, and a short hop flamethrower. It was near impossible to kill you because you were able to air dodge or rock smash the majority of my fairs, and usmash and uair were quite hard to land. I am thinking I should have a control tag set to attacks on c-stick. Or I should at least use the c-stick to try and kill with fsmash.

I know this just sound so ranty and a ton of excuses, but I haven't faced many Charizards, and the ones I have faced are pretty bad, unlike you. Lylat Cruise is a good stage, except for the fact that it is even harder to land. I never realized Charizard could be that good.

Huh, in my experience Charizard is a pretty easy match-up for Yoshi. Most Charizards I play in FG fall easy and I think I did pretty well against Boney's one too.

I'm interested.

Having a blast playing FG smash. Not 1v1 but free for alls. Should've gotten into this stuff sooner.

Seems that I rock as a Zelda in those. Since almost all of Zelda's specials are aoe they easily rack up kills when everyone is in a furball. Also helps that I've played 4 player FFA's a lot with friends so I'm already used to dealing with multiple targets. Not too surprising for me to see a 5+ kill lead.

Top Bottom