• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Huh, in my experience Charizard is a pretty easy match-up for Yoshi. Most Charizards I play in FG fall easy and I think I did pretty well against Boney's one too.

I'm interested.

Haha, that is the naive thinking he expects us to have. I fought 2 or 3 Charizards earlier today in For Glory, and they were easy as hell. I believe I even made the one rage quit by getting the first stock off of him while only taking like 7% damage.

Ricky is nothing like those For Glory Charizards. He is like a hacked Charizard with perfect IVs and max EVs in every stat.

Huh, in my experience Charizard is a pretty easy match-up for Yoshi. Most Charizards I play in FG fall easy and I think I did pretty well against Boney's one too.

I'm interested.

Most players in FG suck and aren't exactly good measures of a character's abilities.

I play FG using exclusively Doc and the random button, and I manage a win rate of 70%. Go find some Charizards on Anther's Ladder if you wanna really gauge the character.

Haha, that is the naive thinking he expects us to have. I fought 2 or 3 Charizards earlier today in For Glory, and they were easy as hell. I believe I even made the one rage quit by getting the first stock off of him while only taking like 7% damage.

Ricky is nothing like those For Glory Charizards. He is like a hacked Charizard with perfect IVs and max EVs in every stat.

Max EVs in every stat is too much bro, but I'll agree with the perfect IVs. Probably running a Flame Orb for that attack boost too.

Most players in FG suck and aren't exactly good measures of a character's abilities.

I play FG using exclusively Doc and the random button, and I manage a win rate of 70%. Go find some Charizards on Anther's Ladder if you wanna really gauge the character.

Max EVs in every stat is too much bro, but I'll agree with the perfect IVs. Probably running a Flame Orb for that attack boost too.

Alright, maybe not every stat. Speed might not be max, but that doesn't matter when you are master juggler. He somehow is carrying multiple items, as there is definitely a quick claw on those jabs.

Boney

Banned
Phew, at least I can kill dr Mario's by scaring them to death and like in the beginning I did good against robin.

Sorry flux it's 1 am here and I need to go to bed. Loved the fights, I'm gonna start investing in Ike a lot more and see what I can come up with, your defense was impenetrable, you walled me out even with characters like falcon!

Both the down smash and the counter in that last fight felt so good

Alright, maybe not every stat. Speed might not be max, but that doesn't matter when you are master juggler. He somehow is carrying multiple items, as there is definitely a quick claw on those jabs.
It's funny cause Charizard has some average as fuck base speed, you'd expect him to be faster but he isn't lol. Gotta run agility if you wanna go fast.
Phew, at least I can kill dr Mario's by scaring them to death and like in the beginning I did good against robin.

Sorry flux it's 1 am here and I need to go to bed. Loved the fights, I'm gonna start investing in Ike a lot more and see what I can come up with, your defense was impenetrable, you walled me out even with characters like falcon!

Both the down smash and the counter in that last fight felt so good

http://smashboards.com/forums/ike.479/

There's your homework for the week. ;)

FluxWaveZ

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like playing as that custom Dr. Mario. That vitamin B special is actually pretty bad, and it's only decent for edge guarding. I don't like his movement, either, but at least I'd be able to draw opponents to me with a better B instead of having to go to them.

GGs. Captain Falcon seems like a character that's my style and I've adapted to him rather quickly, so he might be added to the handful of characters I kind of focus on next to Sonic and Rosalina.

Always interesting hearing how good some people are.

I know I'll get destroyed but playing against better people in a casual setting allows me to experiment and learn. Especially since I play Zelda, she gets steamrolled a lot when I play GAF lol

Need to start compiling a list of people to face off against lol.

Already posted this over on Reddit, but here are some interesting facts I picked out from Sakurai's recent interview:
  • Sakurai once considered Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club) for inclusion as a playable character in SSBM, but ultimately scrapped the idea because she's relatively unknown outside of Japan.
  • He also considered Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle) as a playable character in SSB4 for "just a moment" before deciding against it due to his similar lack of popularity overseas.
    Sakurai is very aware of Miiverse's cries for Goku, SpongeBob, and all the other suggestions that pop up.
  • He does oversee all the arrangements in a general "yes/no" approval sense. Even pieces that don't quite fit his vision occasionally pass the test, since players can adjust which play and which don't via the My Music feature.
  • Itoken and Sakurai both love the Space Armada theme from StarFox, and Itoken was really excited to get the opportunity to arrange it in Brawl.
  • Michiko Naruke's "Stickerbrush Symphony" arrangement from Brawl was a rare case in that the piece deviated greatly from the original, but still succeeded in its own right.
  • Sakurai personally asked Masato Koda to arrange Zero Suit Samus' theme in the same style as Monster Hunter. Koda worried he might be typecast, but Sakurai reassured him that fans would appreciate the stylistic consistency. The end product was, indeed, very MH-esque.
  • As a general rule, Sakurai requests that arrangers refrain from altering the main melody of a given piece. The melodic line is what fans look forward to hearing, and to change it in some drastic way would disappoint many players. Thus, he asks the musicians to infuse pieces with their own flavor by making adjustments to the harmonies, rhythm, instrumentation, and so forth.
  • As far as music selection goes, Sakurai doesn't tell the musicians which tracks to arrange. Instead, he lays out a list of several hundred tracks he think would be a good fit for Smash, provides samples of the original pieces, and then it's essentially first-come, first-served. Major pieces like those from Zelda, etc. are actually not as popular as some might think, presumably because of the pressure involved in being responsible for their arrangement. (Interestingly, Hideki Sakamoto was pretty quick about going for the LoZ Main Theme this time around.)
  • And lots of irritating babbling by Sugita throughout... Not a fan of his voice or his super-affected way of speaking. :X

Thanks for this, these are super interesting facts - anything that provides more insight into the development of Smash's music is really appreciated! I wonder how he/they went about picking what Mega Man music to include and rearrange...

Boney

Banned
I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like playing as that custom Dr. Mario. That vitamin B special is actually pretty bad, and it's only decent for edge guarding. I don't like his movement, either, but at least I'd be able to draw opponents to me with a better B instead of having to go to them.

GGs. Captain Falcon seems like a character that's my style and I've adapted to him rather quickly, so he might be added to the handful of characters I kind of focus on next to Sonic and Rosalina.
Yeah the slow pills/fireball suck ass, they leave you so exposed. I failed to capitalize on it almost every time but that's just me being terrible lol. And yeah you're definitely down a notorious level with him and robin.

I'm surprised I actually did relatively ok (it's relative dammit) against your sonic. I defended myself pretty well and got a few good strings here and there. For a fight I was absolutely shocked at what were my options I guess I did manage to do something at least. Plus I landed that yolo fsmash.

I guess with Ike you really need to go for those hard reads all the time. But still, someone that doesn't over extend just feels like such a hard way to get in.

I need to learn him well, but at this point he just seems completely unviable for me, and the worst of the heavies by far.

Your falcon was pretty good as well. I don't like that falcon kick you use but other than that you played good. With some more practice I'm sure you'll get him to the level of other characters. Fuck his up smash though, Ganon I get it but this guy having no end lag with it is bsss.

Also, flashbacks to the up smash walls with Ganon ;_;

I need to go ahead and unbind X and Y from Jump so I actually use Z like I intended to do. Everytime I jump with X as Peach I immediately regret it because then I can't C Stick it. :/

jnWake

Hahaha I hope I get wrecked by him some day. With Yoshi being so much faster than Charizard and having very good ranged options I found the match up somewhat easy. But Rock Smash and Flare Blitz can be a pain in the ass. Bair and Nair are also annoying IIRC.

He did his last game taunt, I think he's done
Yeah, that was my "last one" taunt. I meant to do it two games ago, but I kept forgetting.

GGs guys. I wasnt focusing much during those matches, so I figured I should call it a night. Great sets, though.

Blackmage, know that your days are numbered. The One True God is coming.

Masked Man

I said wow
Thanks for this, these are super interesting facts - anything that provides more insight into the development of Smash's music is really appreciated! I wonder how he/they went about picking what Mega Man music to include and rearrange...

Yeah, it's a shame Sugita was there, because I would have loved for Sakurai and Itoken to just go really in-depth about the creative process. Maybe someday they'll hold a Smash musicians roundtable! :D

Top Bottom