• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Edit: eh, looking at the post that got him banned, it could be permanent. I wish there were a way to talk about this openly, but I know that isn't allowed. Anyone in touch with him on Anther's or another medium to find out?

If I'm not mistaken, if the avatar is still showing it's only temporary. At least I recall hearing that.

You do know that those projectiles need animations, right?

In that case then technically yes, but it's minimal and insignificant compared to Palutena and the Miis and not much more effort than everyone else's customs.

Looking at events and especially All Star, it's interesting that it's going to really hinder them going forward if they want to ensure DLC characters are included fully into the game.

It would appear Events have a limit of 8 on unique opponents. No event has more than 8 different opponents, and this even leads to awkward events where Doc, Sonic, etc have to be segregated into a random catch all "hey, these dudes were unlockable before!" despite Marth, Falco and Lucario, etc appearing in the normal game specific events. I imagine this is probably a memory restriction with loading the models in for the characters to spawn relatively quickly.

Since both the Melee and Past Secret Character events both have 8 opponents, it seems unlikely Mewtwo will be retroactively added to these events.

Further, with All Star, no era has more than 7 characters. Considering All Star, when possible, uses the 8 player versions of the stages, I'm inclined to believe the mode is modified from 8 player Smash for quick loading of characters and has the same 9 character limit events have (All Star supports 2 players, so it needs a max of 7). I imagine the 3DS even loads the 7 fighters into memory, or they take longer to spawn as the unload/load, I haven't really tested. It's also worth noting 1986 is split in two in All Star, with the Kid Icarus characters appearing in the era before it, the only instance where a year is in two different stages.
This leaves Mewtwo's era with an awkward 8 characters, which, depending on how All Star is loaded, might require some changes to how it's set up if it really is based on 8 player Smash (which seems actually able to handle 9 characters loaded into memory).

Going forward with more DLC, this may be even more challenging, as entire eras become too large and challenging for the player and as a result, challenges become more difficult and the game gets artificially longer. You get 2-3 DLC characters and they may need to add an entire new era to split stuff up more and throw another heart at you. Challenges that require you to not heal between rounds become harder and harder, to the point where it might be a very real issue. It'll also lop side All Star's difficulty to be middle heavy. Pretty much all of the request DLC characters (Wolf, Dixie, Squirtle, Krool) appear in the two 90s stages, meaning if they get in... the middle of All Star is going to be pretty bloated compared to the rest of it.

This may also somewhat explain the lack of Miis in the 2006 era. There just isn't the memory for 3 more slots in an already 7 person era. Maybe when they figure this out, they'll add Miis to All Star.

It'll be interesting to see if they go back and add Mewtwo to events and if he's in All Star. It'll be pretty lame if they don't, but there may actually be some technical reasons why they can't.

Anyone game for some 2v2s later tonight? ALso free to do my ranbats.

I believe this isn't true, the mods said it was a bug that sometimes your avatar disappears when banned.

Ah, well at least his wasn't nuked out of existence like a certain other fgc gaf member so that gives some hope I guess :T

Edit: eh, looking at the post that got him banned, it could be permanent. I wish there were a way to talk about this openly, but I know that isn't allowed. Anyone in touch with him on Anther's or another medium to find out?

You do know that those projectiles need animations, right?
It's just for a month, so we'll just be without easy access to PK Asskicking for a bit. :)

Also he misses us already <3
Looking at events and especially All Star, it's interesting that it's going to really hinder them going forward if they want to ensure DLC characters are included fully into the game.

(...)

I personally think Mewtwo won't be featured as an opponent in any single-player modes. You'll probably be able to play as him, and Miiverse will probably be played on, but I doubt you'll be fighting against him in the single-player modes because of the troubles you pointed out. That's my guess at least.

Anyone going to Combo Breaker? I'd love to see you guys there because I will! :3

There's no reason Mewtwo can't appear in Classic mode or Special Orders, and the Event Mode issue is solved by simply giving him his own events OR (assuming there are more) waiting for all DLC characters to be done and THEN add events with them. For All Stars couldn't they just rearrange the order a little?

Boney

Banned
Bummer about shammy, debates can get heated in here especially in off topic. We could set up an irc channel or something

There's no reason Mewtwo can't appear in Classic mode or Special Orders, and the Event Mode issue is solved by simply giving him his own events OR (assuming there are more) waiting for all DLC characters to be done and THEN add events with them. For All Stars couldn't they just rearrange the order a little?
Well, I suppose there isn't any issue with him appearing in Classic and Special Orders, but I don't think we'll be getting any Mewtwo events. We don't even know if they'll make even one more character after Mewtwo yet, given they're essentially making two characters for two versions. Plus, the issue with adding Mewtwo into All-Star was explained in a post above mine.
Bummer about shammy, debates can get heated in here especially in off topic. We could set up an irc channel or something

I think we already do have an irc channel, it's somewhere in the OP. >.>;;;

Anyone wanna play? :)

If I'm not mistaken, if the avatar is still showing it's only temporary. At least I recall hearing that.

In that case then technically yes, but it's minimal and insignificant compared to Palutena and the Miis and not much more effort than everyone else's customs.
AFAIK, the "Avatar disappearing" is just an oft-repeated falsity. Avatars just randomly disappear during a ban due to a glitch. Unless you are one particular unfortunate person who got completely erased from GAF history...

I have a hilariously hard time against any Ganondorfs.

&_&
It's all about patience.

AFAIK, the "Avatar disappearing" is just an oft-repeated falsity. Avatars just randomly disappear during a ban due to a glitch. Unless you are one particular unfortunate person who got completely erased from GAF history...

It's all about patience.

Patience, definitely something I need to work on.

Well, I suppose there isn't any issue with him appearing in Classic and Special Orders, but I don't think we'll be getting any Mewtwo events. We don't even know if they'll make even one more character after Mewtwo yet, given they're essentially making two characters for two versions. Plus, the issue with adding Mewtwo into All-Star was explained in a post above mine.

There's no real reason Mewtwo couldn't be in Classic mode. In fact it'd probably take more effort to exclude him than to include him since Classic seems to just automatically pull from the current roster that the random button does (IE, everyone currently unlocked except Miis). And the random button will obviously allow Mewtwo (and honestly should allow Miis... but whatever), so there shouldn't be an issue with Mewtwo in Classic.

Someone on Reddit brought it to my attention there's actually three unused stage graphics for All Star. So I guess there's easily room to split it up more if there really is a memory limit for 7 opponents.

Also replacing Dedede in that one event where you fight Ganon, Bowser and Dedede would work. It would make the event nearly identical to the event in Melee with Ganon, Giga Bowser and Mewtwo. Dedede seems out of place in that event anyway, he hasn't really been a villain in a Kirby game in a very long time.

You need to spam projectiles at him and exploit his crappy recovery by spamming projectiles whilst he's recovering. He does way too much damage to try anything risky on him, just play it safe.

My issue is his damn Side B completely wrecks me, so I'm way too panicked about it to do anything :(. Pressure by threat.

Anyone want to 1o1?
NNID is H3XAntiStyle

Send me a message if you're already on my list so I see the glowy blue dot, I'll be on FG.

There's no real reason Mewtwo couldn't be in Classic mode. In fact it'd probably take more effort to exclude him than to include him since Classic seems to just automatically pull from the current roster that the random button does (IE, everyone currently unlocked except Miis). And the random button will obviously allow Mewtwo (and honestly should allow Miis... but whatever), so there shouldn't be an issue with Mewtwo in Classic.

Someone on Reddit brought it to my attention there's actually three unused stage graphics for All Star. So I guess there's easily room to split it up more if there really is a memory limit for 7 opponents.

Also replacing Dedede in that one event where you fight Ganon, Bowser and Dedede would work. It would make the event nearly identical to the event in Melee with Ganon, Giga Bowser and Mewtwo. Dedede seems out of place in that event anyway, he hasn't really been a villain in a Kirby game in a very long time.
I don't like the idea of modifying an already-existing event just to accommodate a bonus character, but that's just me.
My issue is his damn Side B completely wrecks me, so I'm way too panicked about it to do anything :(. Pressure by threat.

Anyone want to 1o1?
NNID is H3XAntiStyle

Send me a message if you're already on my list so I see the glowy blue dot, I'll be on FG.

I'll play you if you want. :) Sent you a friend request, I'm CRQ-L-07.

No biggie, but always do your best! I can't sandbag with you, you know?

Like there. Just an SD and a mistimed bair, and I'm gone. :(

It just sucks because even after playing this game since the N64, I still have no fucking clue how to play it. Player has an offense? Screwed. Player has a defense? Screwed.

It's why I'm forcing myself to go through all this punching bag crap, so maybe eventually the bruises will start to make sense.

It just sucks because even after playing this game since the N64, I still have no fucking clue how to play it. Player has an offense? Screwed. Player has a defense? Screwed.

It's why I'm forcing myself to go through all this punching bag crap, so maybe eventually the bruises will start to make sense.

Hmm...if anything, you just need to hone your fundamentals and gain a sense of spacing. Also, reaction time is super important. You'll get all three with experience, so just hammer out a million matches and keep note of where you could improve. Where could you have used a more efficient option?

Hmm...if anything, you just need to hone your fundamentals and gain a sense of spacing. Also, reaction time is super important. You'll get all three with experience, so just hammer out a million matches and keep note of where you could improve. Where could you have used a more efficient option?

Okay, a HUGE HUGE HUGE problem of mine, is I've been playing locally FOREVER and the timing for EVERYTHING is totally different online. I've got so much muscle memory built up on the timing of air dodges grabs etc that when I have to do it a split second sooner, I never can. Ever. There are SO MANY TIMES where because I'm trying to air dodge at the instant, I totally miss it, even though I've got the exact timing for when the attack is going to hit.

Oh, and I have no idea how to offense/defense, that's a big problem too.

Also I seriously need to completely stop doing anything in the lobby. I'm TRYING to get rid of bad habits but can't because of that damned thing.

I don't think people can improve too much on reaction times, just how they react to situations. I think my reactions are more built for twitch shooters than fighting games..

Okay, a HUGE HUGE HUGE problem of mine, is I've been playing locally FOREVER and the timing for EVERYTHING is totally different online. I've got so much muscle memory built up on the timing of air dodges grabs etc that when I have to do it a split second sooner, I never can. Ever. There are SO MANY TIMES where because I'm trying to air dodge at the instant, I totally miss it, even though I've got the exact timing for when the attack is going to hit.

Oh, and I have no idea how to offense/defense, that's a big problem too.

Also I seriously need to completely stop doing anything in the lobby. I'm TRYING to get rid of bad habits but can't because of that damned thing.
Is there input delay in our room? I haven't noticed any, but maybe I got used to it. :O
I don't think people can improve too much on reaction times, just how they react to situations. I think my reactions are more built for twitch shooters than fighting games..

Yeah, I suppose it's better to say you have to improve the ability to recognize situations and react to them efficiently, which comes from experience. I'm not good at wording this stuff, if you haven't noticed...

EDIT: Two more H3X, then I'm gonna play some Touhou. :3

Is there input delay in our room? I haven't noticed any, but maybe I got used to it. :O

Yeah, I suppose it's better to say you have to improve the ability to recognize situations and react to them efficiently, which comes from experience. I'm not good at wording this stuff, if you haven't noticed...

It's not the room, it's not anything. It's that I played Melee locally for like 10 years on a CRT, and this is online on a monitor. Even if it's a good monitor, the timing is different from CRT/local -- and I have WAY TOO MUCH muscle memory built up.

It's not the room, it's not anything. It's that I played Melee locally for like 10 years on a CRT, and this is online on a monitor. Even if it's a good monitor, the timing is different from CRT/local -- and I have WAY TOO MUCH muscle memory built up.

Monitor johns and lag johns are real, so I get you there. I spent some time playing Melee netplay, but neglected playing it on CRT for so long when I went to my local my timings were all off by a half-second and it took me a few matches to adjust. Felt crazy, lol.

GGs dude, your Peach was fun since we don't have many of those here. I feel if you put some time into adjusting you'll get into it, but the issues come from going back to Melee. My timings are all messed up again... >.<;;;

Monitor johns and lag johns are real, so I get you there. I spent some time playing Melee netplay, but neglected playing it on CRT for so long when I went to my local my timings were all off by a half-second and it took me a few matches to adjust. Felt crazy, lol.

GGs dude, your Peach was fun since we don't have many of those here. I feel if you put some time into adjusting you'll get into it, but the issues come from going back to Melee. My timings are all messed up again... >.<;;;

I just need to never fight anyone worse than me. Every time I do I lose all progress I've built up, because "Oh hey this works" when no it fucking doesn't.

In short, I need to stop playing FG where half the time it's someone my skill where crap works, so I can start learning how to not get hit. And how to hit. And stuff.

EDIT: That being said, who's up for beating more sense into me?

You know what has really stood out to me about Smash Wii U as the weeks and months pass (other than Mega Man and the game just being fantastic in general)? The stages. This is by far the strongest stage lineup we've ever had in a Smash game, and the vast majority of them remain extremely fun and stand up to repeated play.

Woolly World, Wii Fit Studio, Wuhu Island, Pilotwngs, Windy Hill Zone, Duck Hunt, Mario Circuit (MK 8), Mario Galaxy, Coliseum, Gamer, Mushroom Kingdom U, Orbital Gate Assault, Skyloft, Gaur Plain, and even Pac-Land are all just as fun today as they were the day the game was released. And no, I'm not talking about the Omega versions. My group of Smashers and I are getting a ton of mileage out of them, at least. :)

And that's not even counting all the (mostly) great returning Brawl stages!

I do wish the hazards in Kalos Pokémon League were just a little less intrusive, and I really wish the Yellow Devil didn't exist at all in Wily Castle. But hey, you can't win 'em all!

I switched to Toon Link after trying Link for a couple days, now I can do whatever I want because who's even going to stop me? Float all over the place, throw bombs, air hookshot if they try to get close, backthrow KO, everything combos into forward air, up smash is ridiculous.

No idea what to do against Sanic with that tiny little sword though.

jnWake

I'm pretty sure there's at least one All Stars round with only 6 enemies, what I'm saying is to move Mewtwo where he should be and then move everyone else one stock later

Yep, the last round has 6 enemies (Luigi, DK, Lil' Mac, Mario, Pac Man, Mr. G&W).

They should really have a DLC trailer or whatever to explain what will be added with Mewtwo. I don't expect him to be added to existing events and not even to All Star, but who knows... 48 enemies in one sitting is way too much anyway. If they add more characters they'd probably need to rebalance the items.

-_- God I suck. I have no idea what to do against 90% of the characters in the game.

Especially Rosalina! What the hell! It's like her attacks have no recovery to exploit, take up half the fucking stage when Luma's out, her Fair covers the entire airspace over America, fucking annoying as shit.

Puruzi

Banned
-_- God I suck. I have no idea what to do against 90% of the characters in the game.

Especially Rosalina! What the hell! It's like her attacks have no recovery to exploit, take up half the fucking stage when Luma's out, her Fair covers the entire airspace over America, fucking annoying as shit.

Sorry about that, one of my friends called me up to play. Available if you want to play me now

Top Bottom