• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Mii Gunner is such a great character, why doesn't everyone main her I swear this is a character that was made for me all those projectiles and that jab and the way some of the physical attacks work oh my god this character was made for me~

Nabster, what do you think about the idea that Rosalina's one of the easiest high-tier characters to do well with?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and @Boney, regarding those other stages:

We could incorporate MKU in friendlies if you'd like, but I just don't like Nabbit. He feels way too intrusive IMO. Same with the urchins because unlike the icicles you can't predict those and they can screw with people's recovery like you said.

Luigi's is shit.

Nah, I still don't like Norfair in its current form. IMO the hazards interrupt the flow of gameplay too much, and lava walls from the side can potentially save someone who would've gotten KO'd. That's not skill, that's thank god for hazards. Even Randall doesn't save you that far out. :/

The issue I have with Mario Circuit isn't just the walls and ceiling, or the racers. It's stuff like this or this. The track becomes a damage zone more than in any other "tour stage" like Skyloft and Wuhu.

Regarding Woolly World, not even just Mac, characters without good air abilities are gonna get short-changed in this stage I think. The removal of the ground and the platforms moving around could lead to some really early deaths. The walk-offs aren't a big issue at this point. I haven't played here much so I'd like to see some counterpoints to it.

Orbital IMO has a big issue with constantly changing the stage. There's no consistancy, and if a character can't reach an Arwing because it moved away, that's a stock. Also, there's walls that damage you, the engines on the missiles hurt and make it unclear where you can stand, and the whole explosion thing forces characters in the air which hurts certain fighters majorly like, you guessed it, Mac and Ganondorf who don't have stellar recoveries.

Garden of Hope I don't have much experience with so I'll play around with it some and get back to you on it.

Kalos probably won't be legal even as a counterpick, as well as Gamer if what you say is true about the mom.

Windy Hill likely won't make it due to licensing. :'(

I actually like Pokemon Stadium 2 in this game because the Electric transformation got slowed down, the Ice transformation became more tolerable thanks to no tripping, the Rock transformation is way better than what Pokemon Stadium 1 has, and the Flying transformation really isn't that bad as it's just lower fall speed, and doesn't last very long anyway. Nothing game-breaking or game-changing IMO.

Why should I break it when I can abuse said death caves all I want? In a tourney that's what matters.

So then don't break them? And if your opponent sees you abusing them, they'll break them. Or you both have a problem and both wreck the mansion, or neither of you has a problem with them and you have a crazy match seeing whose teching skills are better. Still not seeing what's wrong with the stage.

So then don't break them? And if your opponent sees you abusing them, they'll break them. Or you both have a problem and both wreck the mansion, or neither of you has a problem with them and you have a crazy match seeing whose teching skills are better. Still not seeing what's wrong with the stage.

The problem lies in whether we can tolerate ceilings that allow players to live much longer than they should thanks to teching, pillars that stop projectiles and force players to the edges or the rooftops, and gameplay on the stage becoming centered on the abusable aspects of the stage rather than the characters. I don't think other legal stages have such abusable aspects to them, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Also, the flat transformation only lasts for ~20 seconds before the mansion rebuilds itself and we're back to square one of hiding behind pillars or being on the right side of them to fire projectiles, caves of life and running to create favorable situations that would be impossible in other stages that simply don't have ceilings or pillars in obtrusive places.

EDIT: I was going through Woolly World earlier, it's got potential for circle camping and the way the platforms move around could mess with projectiles, you know? I figured, if Mac hates it so much he could just strike it so that's nothing to worry about. Floaties like Peach and Puff will love this stage for sure. The platform layout is really weird though, with that spaceship and the wooden stick on the right...

The problem lies in whether we can tolerate ceilings that allow players to live much longer than they should thanks to teching, pillars that stop projectiles and force players to the edges or the rooftops, and gameplay on the stage becoming centered on the abusable aspects of the stage rather than the characters. I don't think other legal stages have such abusable aspects to them, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Pretty sure you're right about this, but I think the stage list is way too small and would love to see it expanded to include twice as many stages. But I also enjoy playing with items and think an item tournament would be rad, so shows what I know!

Even with the random button, For Glory is so boring sometimes... :/

Pretty sure you're right about this, but I think the stage list is way too small and would love to see it expanded to include twice as many stages. But I also enjoy playing with items and think an item tournament would be rad, so shows what I know!

I don't mind experimenting, I'm just putting my thoughts out there so people understand my reasoning. I personally wish we could do a doubles tournament with amiibos, but given their stat boosts and people secretly feeding them equipment I don't think that would go over too well... :(

TWILT

Banned
Anyone up for some 1v1s?

FAKE EDIT: Yikes, just noticed Shamrock got banned. Looks like he ventured into Off Topic again...

Nabster92

Nabster, what do you think about the idea that Rosalina's one of the easiest high-tier characters to do well with?

Wut. I think that's exactly opposite of the truth. Anyone that tries to just pick up rosalina without putting actual time into her is typically really bad and the only reason they would possibly do "well" is because they are playing against other people that are inexperienced with rosalina because not many people actually do try to just easily pick her up to do well with her.

On the other hand you see hoards of diddys and sheiks everywhere that actually do pretty decently since they have more standard move sets that are just really solid and easier to understand.

Do I think rosalina can possibly be better than them? Sure. But it will definitely take a lot more work and time to figure out more of her nuances. On the other hand that could also go the other way just as easily as other people start to understand her nuances and find more and more ways to deal with her.

Anyways, I heartily scoff at that idea, but somewhat hope it would be true so more people try and understand her so I don't get so many free wins from people that never played the matchup and can get more legitimate matchup experience from people.

Anyone up for some 1v1s?

FAKE EDIT: Yikes, just noticed Shamrock got banned. Looks like he ventured into Off Topic again...
TWILT what time zone are you? You're always around so late for me. :/
Wut. I think that's exactly opposite of the truth. Anyone that tries to just pick up rosalina without putting actual time into her is typically really bad and the only reason they would possibly do "well" is because they are playing against other people that are inexperienced with rosalina because not many people actually do try to just easily pick her up to do well with her.

On the other hand you see hoards of diddys and sheiks everywhere that actually do pretty decently since they have more standard move sets that are just really solid and easier to understand.

Do I think rosalina can possibly be better than them? Sure. But it will definitely take a lot more work and time to figure out more of her nuances. On the other hand that could also go the other way just as easily as other people start to understand her nuances and find more and more ways to deal with her.

Anyways, I heartily scoff at that idea, but somewhat hope it would be true so more people try and understand her so I don't get so many free wins from people that never played the matchup and can get more legitimate matchup experience from people.
I see, thanks for the detailed response. I was wondering this because of how I think of what you'd need to excel as Rosalina; I figured with Luma covering you only basic spacing and bait-and-punish tactics would be enough for people to take at least one match with Rosa, even with matchup familiarity. Maybe I need to play with her more, though I suck at keeping Luma out of harm's way. In fact, I suck at playing high tiers in general. >.>;;;

TWILT

Banned
TWILT what time zone are you? You're always around so late for me. :/

EST. I'm usually home around 6-8PM (free all day on Sunday usually), but sometimes I spend 1-2 hours playing other fighting games (was playing some DOA5 earlier), and sometimes my niece/nephew wanna watch Spongebob, so I'm not available as early as I'd like. That's why I usually ask to play smash around this time, though I can be available early if I want lol.

Beats

EST. I'm usually home around 6-8PM (free all day on Sunday usually), but sometimes I spend 1-2 hours playing other fighting games (was playing some DOA5 earlier), and sometimes my niece/nephew wanna watch Spongebob, so I'm not available as early as I'd like. That's why I usually ask to play smash around this time, though I can be available early if I want lol.

Still need someone to play?

TWILT

Banned
Good games, Beats! Really fun matches; it's so hard to get in on Toon Link with customs. Your WFT is great as always (and I think she's even better than before); those volleyballs really hurt lol. Was really nice playing you again after a while!

Beats

Good games, Beats! Really fun matches; it's so hard to get in on Toon Link with customs. Your WFT is great as always (and I think she's even better than before); those volleyballs really hurt lol. Was really nice playing you again after a while!

Good games! ya, fire arrow is pretty good. Your Pikachu definitely got more aggressive too lol. And thanks. I've been playing a few other games, so I haven't really been playing this all that much lately.

Cronox

Banned

Unfortunately, once threads like the pug kicking one get past a certain number of pages they get stuck in circular and polarized arguments. Attempting to jump in at that point is asking for aggravation. When one gets aggravated enough to criticize the people rather than the arguments there's risk in that. Luckily I tend to find these threads as they're nearly dead, and usually pop in to say something along the lines of "what the hell is wrong with you people," as the thread drops like a rock. I suppose I get the last word that way, as the people who so passionately argued pages before usually have lost interest by the time I get there.

Anyway, to Shamrock - hope it's not a long one, see you back in the Smash thread again soon eh? I'd like to play you one of these days.

I see, thanks for the detailed response. I was wondering this because of how I think of what you'd need to excel as Rosalina; I figured with Luma covering you only basic spacing and bait-and-punish tactics would be enough for people to take at least one match with Rosa, even with matchup familiarity. Maybe I need to play with her more, though I suck at keeping Luma out of harm's way. In fact, I suck at playing high tiers in general. >.>;;;

It seems to be a community consensus that Diddy is easy to play, going all the way back to Armada's comment back at Beast 5 in early January (and there's probably similar thinking earlier than that) that Diddy is a "brain dead character" - as in, easy to pick up and play with well. I tried Diddy for a fleeting moment and didn't really feel that, his recovery is tricky, among other things. But if I was used to playing this game at the speed Diddy requires to be really good, I can see why I might think he was easy to pick up. Unfortunately I'm much the same with high tiers. I spent part of last night just staring down the character select screen thinking about what character besides Bowser and Jigglypuff I could play. Crazy that I can look at 52 characters and see only 2 that appeal to me... I did have one stipulation - they have to be higher tier than Bowser, which rules out a couple I might find fun. I like Dedede and all, but that doesn't get me anywhere and I like Bowser better.

Edit: was thinking about Pikachu actually, but I really dislike his sounds and he may be a bit too fast for me. I like that I don't need to reverse his back air, and heavy skull bash basically replaces fsmash with great potential in customs. But still...

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You play a hood Megaman. One of the new characters I just haven't figured out.

So for Mewtwo's customs

Do you think we'll get them all unlocked right off the bat, or will they just toss them in with the other customs as random drops?

You think with the extra time they have, they'll make them more interesting? No new animations I assume, but stuff like Ice Beam, Psybeam, Hyperbeam, etc could all use his Shadow Ball animation (they did in Stadium 2 where his Melee SB animation comes from). Or will they just give us "Slow Shadow Ball" and "Explosive Teleport" because those would be super boring.

I'd like to see
N
1: Shadow Ball
2: Swift: No charge, and fires a "beam" of stars that pierces enemies, but does less knockback and less damage than Shadow Ball and doesn't push Mewtwo back so it's not a recovery option
3: Hyper Beam: Longer charge to full power. Fires an extremely long range, stage obstacle piercing beam that does a lot of knockback. Sends Mewtwo flying very far backwards and causes him to trip. At full charge, it doesn't make him trip, he instead goes into his shield smash animation for some time. In the air, causes him to go into helpless state.

F
1: Confusion
2: Psychic: Holds the enemy in place and does lots of small hits of damage to them and then drops them straight down.
3: Strength: Does no damage or knockback, but acts as a psychic powered windbox that pushes the enemy straight up in the air.

D
1: Disable
2: Barrier: Puts up a shield in front of Mewtwo that reflects projectiles at 1.5x damage. Has no hitbox and does no damage.
3. Swagger: Comes out faster, but doesn't stun, instead causes tripping.

U
1. Teleport
2. Gravity: Causes a small blast of windboxes at the end of the teleport that meteor smashes, but Mewtwo doesn't travel very far at all. Doesn't do damage.
3. Aerial Ace: Teleports faster and with a small hitbox at the end, but can't be controlled. Mewtwo always flies straight up.

Of course we'll get "Slow Shadow Ball" "Fast Confusion" and "Explosive Teleport" because apparently they only get creative with animations when it's Megaman :/

Also you ever notice how, other than Shadow Ball, Mewtwo's moves in Smash are all really low level, crappy starter moves?

Palutena has new animations. Megaman is just really creative use of his 4 default animations, which is what Mewtwo could get. Especially since creative use of 2-3 animations is basically trademark of 3D Pokemon.
Megaman has new animations on the moves, which is what matters. Tornado Hold is a huge change from Rush Coil.

Tripon

Dan Salvato, creator of FrankerZ, Project M developer, and Smash 4 player shared his thoughts on why Smash 4 works as a competitive game.
http://ask.fm/dansalvato/answer/126987545987
Can you explain why Smash 4 is viable as a competitors game? Simply put: My sister kicks her friends' ass in Smash 4. I kick my sister's ass. I got my ass kicked by a guy in my Apex pool. He got his ass kicked in bracket. That guy got his ass kicked by a top 8 player. That top 8 player got his ass kicked by Zero. Clearly, the skill spectrum is there and it's incredibly wide. That's all it takes for a game to be viable as a competitive game. Enjoyable? That's opinion. Personally, I love it.

Edit: eh, looking at the post that got him banned, it could be permanent. I wish there were a way to talk about this openly, but I know that isn't allowed. Anyone in touch with him on Anther's or another medium to find out?

New projectiles are not the same as new animations. The only differences in the animations is the timing, otherwise they're all the exact same.
You do know that those projectiles need animations, right?

Top Bottom