• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm looking through Smash Bros 4 Community Edition Thread which is our first Smash 4 thread before we got our Daily Update thread. I would like to bring this quote to our attention since he's still check this thread. I thought it was funny to share with people here.

A really awesome newcomer would be the dog from Duck Hunt. He is a classic character.
If there's any suggestion I hate more then Geno, it's this.

Also Professor Beef commented on why he hate Duck Hunt Suggestion.

I never said I hated Duck Hunt. I just don't think the dog would make a good character.

Cronox

Banned
*sees Fox's tag*
*Immediately tries to unthink resultant thoughts*

I'm 12 and what is this

Smash Bros. Wii U commentators seem to rarely talk about the game, and when they do, it's to be shocked and amazed by things like Link using bombs to extend his recovery.

At the smaller tourneys the commentators aren't as experienced. But my main problem with Smash 4 commentary is the game just isn't that hype, and when commentators try to make it hype it takes me out of the experience. That Apex 2015 top 8 was brutal for me cause the commentators kept acting like we were seeing amazing play when Dabuz and Abandango were going to time and during other slow battles matches. If it's a slow battle that's fine, we don't need forced excitement if what the players are doing isn't exciting. You can give commentary on strategy etc, hype will come when it comes. Sick of hearing "Oooooo he just got him with a projectile/ftilt/other uncomboable attack, this could be bad!!!" I prefer macro rather than micro-based commentary, I suppose. "What ____ needs to do right now is _____" works great for me if the commentator knows what they're talking about.

But everyone has their preferences I suppose.

jnWake

As a Mega Man main myself, watching Kismet play him is really inspiring. He's currently the best of all the high-profile Mega Man players IMO. His movement and spacing are just incredible, and he couldn't utilize Mega Man's regular buster shots more perfectly. Strange how he never use the Crash Bomber, though - that's one of Mega Man's best specials!

How come you don't join the Ranbats Ash? We need more Mega Men there!

Nabster92

Do you actually like Rosa dittos? It slowly hurts my souls playing it lol.

Gonna eat, if you're back in 20 I'd like to play, watching you play Rosa makes me envious. xD

Haha, I don't mind them. I can play a few other characters as well if you need some matchup experience. Where do you watch me play Rosa to get envious of it?

Edit: Also, what's your nnid?

Neki

Haha, I don't mind them. I can play a few other characters as well if you need some matchup experience. Where do you watch me play Rosa to get envious of it?

Edit: Also, what's your nnid?

Neki14, I'm sure we've played before. You crushed me last time :p I'm ready to play if you're free.

Nabster92

Gfs Nabster, you played much better than I ever could. You have any helpful suggestions to improve my game?

Hmm, you need to do a better job with u-air juggling. I never really felt pressured much when I was coming in above you. I shouldn't have such an easy time getting down from above you against that u-air. You need to either position yourself well to bait out an air dodge or some sort of button press from me or force something by going for the u-air but only aiming to hit with the very end of it, so if they air dodge that, you can come out with the next one quick enough to punish it and even if it connects, it will be the sour spot of the hit and will keep them right there to get hit by another one.

Also, when dashing off stage with a d-air to edge guard, do it later than you were. I still had my jump when you were coming after me with it, so I had no problem just reacting to you coming out and just falling past it and coming back with my double jump. It's also a dangerous time yourself to go for it since I can dodge it and double jump b-air you after you miss depending on what character I am. Right after the opponent uses the double jump is a much safer time to go for it.

There were also several times where I feel you could've gotten a hit with your n-airs, but you didn't because you did a fast fall and ended the hitbox too early. Also you should never space your n-airs in a way that lets you get shield grabbed.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but hopefully the ditto's showed you some things you could do as well. GG's!

Neki

Hmm, you need to do a better job with u-air juggling. I never really felt pressured much when I was coming in above you. I shouldn't have such an easy time getting down from above you against that u-air. You need to either position yourself well to bait out an air dodge or some sort of button press from me or force something by going for the u-air but only aiming to hit with the very end of it, so if they air dodge that, you can come out with the next one quick enough to punish it and even if it connects, it will be the sour spot of the hit and will keep them right there to get hit by another one.

Also, when dashing off stage with a d-air to edge guard, do it later than you were. I still had my jump when you were coming after me with it, so I had no problem just reacting to you coming out and just falling past it and coming back with my double jump. It's also a dangerous time yourself to go for it since I can dodge it and double jump b-air you after you miss depending on what character I am. Right after the opponent uses the double jump is a much safer time to go for it.

There were also several times where I feel you could've gotten a hit with your n-airs, but you didn't because you did a fast fall and ended the hitbox too early. Also you should never space your n-airs in a way that lets you get shield grabbed.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but hopefully the ditto's showed you some things you could do as well. GG's!

I always go for the up air but everyone always air dodges, I feel like I should throw it out earlier so I can throw out two of them while they're still above me. Yeah I'm not use to going off stage yet, relatively new to me, and my n-airs, I never know when I should fast fall or when I should just let it linger out there. Like against Marth, I felt like I got punished every time I tried matching him the air with my neutral air, ugh. I have no idea how to counter an aerial heavy playstyle.

Nabster92

I always go for the up air but everyone always air dodges, I feel like I should throw it out earlier so I can throw out two of them while they're still above me. Yeah I'm not use to going off stage yet, relatively new to me, and my n-airs, I never know when I should fast fall or when I should just let it linger out there. Like against Marth, I felt like I got punished every time I tried matching him the air with my neutral air, ugh. I have no idea how to counter an aerial heavy playstyle.

Yea that's what I meant by aiming to hit with the very end of it. If you commit too much to the u-air, it's easy to see and dodge and if you over commit enough, you may even get punished with an u-air from them right after. So space it with extreme caution to just barely hit them with it just to force some sort of action and then double jump u-air again right after it.

You shouldn't be trying to match characters with disjointed hit boxes in the air with n-air. n-air has good priority, but not much range. You should be playing a bit more defensively against ranged aerial approaches and punish between them or on landing lag.

How come you don't join the Ranbats Ash? We need more Mega Men there!

Two reasons! One, I'm way too busy with work to be able to commit to my matches, which would just result in my getting (understandably) kicked out, and two, I'm just not sure I measure up enough skill-wise to compete with you guys... and no one wants to be one of the worst players in a community. :p

A third reason (related to the second one) is that my friends and I play seriously with one another, but we don't adhere to tournament rules (we find them boring) and we play on all stages, sometimes with items on. It was made very clear early on with these ranbats and other SmashGAF community matches in general that there's really only room for people who want to play under tournament rules in the strictest sense, and that's just not for me, you know?

Two reasons! One, I'm way too busy with work to be able to commit to my matches, which would just result in my getting (understandably) kicked out, and two, I'm just not sure I measure up enough skill-wise to compete with you guys... and no one wants to be one of the worst players in a community. :p

A third reason (related to the second one) is that my friends and I play seriously with one another, but we don't adhere to tournament rules (we find them boring) and we play on all stages, sometimes with items on. It was made very clear early on with these ranbats and other SmashGAF community matches in general that there's really only room for people who want to play under tournament rules in the strictest sense, and that's just not for me, you know?

I was kinda worried that our tourney-life atmosphere might frighten other casual members away. '~' I'm sure some of us here don't mind playing in more casual scenarios in, say a FFA.

Speaking of, everyone always wants me dead in GAF FFAs and I don't get why ;_____;

Monster Zero

Good shit, I gotta get my gamma customs, I need my chain judge, gotta find a way to cheese customs. That ganondorf uppercut is some bullshit

edit:

Last one, Monster.

Edit: GGs. That Game & Watch set-up of throw into level 9 hammer is a really weird thing.

There's only 5 or so characters who have a chance of getting out of it at less than 30%, and even then it takes perfect timing, and I may still take damage while throwing out the shot, it's my ace lol.

Cronox

Banned
Current thing that annoys me about playing FG: People who win the first match, mock me in some fashion and leave. I mean, I got you to high percent on your second stock... if I'm a scrub, what are you?

Current thing that annoys me about playing FG as Bowser: people who match me as their main, then after seeing my Bowser go "durrr Bowser's heavy... I gotta play Ganondorf!" Against poor players this makes things boring, against good ones I'm annoyed cause I'd much rather get matchup experience against oh, any other character.

So I have a couple profiles to complement people that I switch to, something like a "ha you got me" and a "nice." But I also created one to use after my "good games!" one before leaving: "keep it up!" Is that patronizing though? I use that when I'm fighting someone who's obviously more at a beginning level, so from my perspective I'm telling them "you've seen what I can do, don't be discouraged - keep it up and you can do that too." But from the perspective of the person who I've been wrecking for a few matches, maybe they feel that's just another insult as I go, interpreting it as "you're not on my level." Thoughts, anyone?

Everyone, say your daily prayer to Master Hand.

Current thing that annoys me about playing FG: People who win the first match, mock me in some fashion and leave. I mean, I got you to high percent on your second stock... if I'm a scrub, what are you?

Current thing that annoys me about playing FG as Bowser: people who match me as their main, then after seeing my Bowser go "durrr Bowser's heavy... I gotta play Ganondorf!" Against poor players this makes things boring, against good ones I'm annoyed cause I'd much rather get matchup experience against oh, any other character.

So I have a couple profiles to complement people that I switch to, something like a "ha you got me" and a "nice." But I also created one to use after my "good games!" one before leaving: "keep it up!" Is that patronizing though? I use that when I'm fighting someone who's obviously more at a beginning level, so from my perspective I'm telling them "you've seen what I can do, don't be discouraged - keep it up and you can do that too." But from the perspective of the person who I've been wrecking for a few matches, maybe they feel that's just another insult as I go, interpreting it as "you're not on my level." Thoughts, anyone?
I don't think you need messages to convey that sort of sentiment, personally. I just play. I don't taunt or teabag, so most people stick around and keep playing.

Man pit is so fun in this! Added him to my rotation of secondaries and been having a blast. My current play roster:
Main: Mario
Secondaries: mega man, luigi, greninja, bowser, link, and pit.

Man, starting to get my win rate up, currently at 47%, after me losing like 30 matches in a row (due to not backing out of being outclassed... gotta learn somehow!). Also, it is SOOOO satisfying to finish a match with a perfectly placed Up B from Peach. Raining tears!

Uggghhhh totally just missed a win against Ganondorf because I stupidly let it go to Sudden Death (He was camping and I was not feeling positive about my chances against his camping, as I too was at high %), and then my dash attack's second hit whiffs. The first one hit! But apparently pushed him just far enough to avoid the second one. T-T

I am finally getting a Wii U tomorrow, so hopefully I'll play some matches here.

Can't wait to finally use Mega Man with a real controller. xD

I just jump off the ledge if it goes to Sudden Death. If I had lower percent than them, then I won and Sudden Death doesn't matter.

Sudden Death is only fun when it's 30 stocks on Big Blue with items activated. And there's no more Big Blue.

Note to self, if Jigglypuff is charging a rollout off the stage, hit a fireball before it gets to the stage once the move is going.

They're falling, stuck in rollout and can't do a thing.

TCKaos

Does anyone use those Hori Gamecube pads or a Mayflash GC to Wii U adapter? How are they?

I'm kinda' tired of using my Wii U pad for Smash.

Top Bottom