• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Cronox

Banned
Does anyone use those Hori Gamecube pads or a Mayflash GC to Wii U adapter? How are they?

I'm kinda' tired of using my Wii U pad for Smash.

I use a Hori battle pad and prefer it over the official Gamecube controller because of its digital triggers. I have an official gamecube adapter and played the game for the first few weeks with a GC controller, analog triggers for digital actions like shields and teching, along with wanting to assign jump to R trigger meant the official controller didn't work for me.

Mewtwo leaked for real this time?

Actual video. But his fingers look silly lol.

Edit: Nevermind, just a well done fake from Brawl mods. Animations apparently just slightly tweaked Project M ones

I don't really get these leaks. Unless it shows off his full moveset, exactly what is being leaked? That Mewtwo is going to be in the game? Yeah, he's going to be in the game, he's going to look like Mewtwo. And...?

Oidisco

Man, people get really salty on For Glory. I beat this one guys Shulk/Robin with my Marth a couple times, and then he just changed his name to "Killurself" and immediately left.

jon_dojah

Banned
I use a Hori battle pad and prefer it over the official Gamecube controller because of its digital triggers. I have an official gamecube adapter and played the game for the first few weeks with a GC controller, analog triggers for digital actions like shields and teching, along with wanting to assign jump to R trigger meant the official controller didn't work for me.

Same story here. Much prefer Hori battle pad over official gcn. So much that I picked up both Mario and Luigi and on the verge of picking up the Pikachu just because. Still glad I have the gc adapter for others who prefer official.

I only have one Gamecube controller right now. If I buy any more, they'll be actual Gamecube controllers and not the crappy Smash Bros. edition with the faulty R button.

And the tier disparity in this game is really unfortunate right now. I can pick Sheik or Zero Suit or someone else and just immediately be as much of or more as a threat as with the characters I actually practice. I don't feel like the characters I play now have glaring flaws like when I played Ike or Greninja, but it's still a lot of effort for characters who are just blatantly weaker than a certain 5-6 others.

FSLink

Banned
I only have one Gamecube controller right now. If I buy any more, they'll be actual Gamecube controllers and not the crappy Smash Bros. edition with the faulty R button.

And the tier disparity in this game is really unfortunate right now. I can pick Sheik or Zero Suit or someone else and just immediately be as much of or more as a threat as with the characters I actually practice. I don't feel like the characters I play now have glaring flaws like when I played Ike or Greninja, but it's still a lot of effort for characters who are just blatantly weaker than a certain 5-6 others.
Really? The R buttons on mine are good, and I have a white and black Smash controller.

With customs I feel like the gap is smaller. A good Ike can definitely be a threat for sure.

Also somewhat Smash related, but I talked to Ninjalink quite a bit while he was down here in Hawaii. Really knowledgable player on every character

Also he plays UMvC3. :O I had no idea. He uses Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma. We didn't get a chance to play though. :(

I had two black ones, the R button broke on both. I refunded them and don't want to go near that again.

I don't feel like customs make the gap any smaller, they just make low or mid tier characters with bad specials have less-bad specials. They still don't have the overall traits that make the top tiers basically the indisputable best. Meanwhile, customs give Diddy Kong a Shoryuken with a backwards hitbox.

FSLink

Banned
I had two black ones, the R button broke on both. I refunded them and don't want to go near that again.

I don't feel like customs make the gap any smaller, they just make low or mid tier characters with bad specials have less-bad specials. They still don't have the overall traits that make the top tiers basically the indisputable best. Meanwhile, customs give Diddy Kong a Shoryuken with a backwards hitbox.

Yeah sounds like you just had super bad luck.

I'd have to disagree on that too. DK, Customs Mii Brawler, Palutena can definitely fight Diddy and company. There's more that's not off the top of my head too.

Which Diddy custom are you referring to anyway? The banana?

I was kinda worried that our tourney-life atmosphere might frighten other casual members away. '~' I'm sure some of us here don't mind playing in more casual scenarios in, say a FFA.

Speaking of, everyone always wants me dead in GAF FFAs and I don't get why ;_____;

I'd be totally down for any and all "For Fun" matches with NeoGAF that don't strictly adhere to tournament rulesets, but very few people (if anyone?) here besides me seem interested in that, and that's fine. Gotta go with what the majority of the community enjoys!

That said, I myself am down for occasional "For Glory" matches! I just get really bored and start not really enjoying the game when I play the same however many "legal" stages there are with no items, that's all. I can only play Battlefield, FD, and the Animal Crossing stages so many times before I start craving something a little more varied and platform-intensive like Woolly World! (Blame that on my love of platformers, I suppose.)

One of his jetpack customs. It can KO at like 70%.

And I don't buy the customs argument at all. Donkey Kong's customs don't make his normals able to compete with the top tiers, they just give him an invincible move with no recovery time. The Pits' customs don't really do anything, Falco's don't, Fox's don't, Zelda's won't fix her terrible frame data, Marth's don't fix his long recovery times, meanwhile Sonic gets a special that gives him a free smash attack if it hits, and Rosalina can do a teleporting smash attack with Luma. Customs don't even the playing field, they just add some additional bumps.

FSLink

Banned

And I don't buy the customs argument at all. Donkey Kong's customs don't make his normals able to compete with the top tiers, they just give him an invincible move with no recovery time. The Pits' customs don't really do anything, Falco's don't, Fox's don't, Zelda's won't fix her terrible frame data, Marth's don't fix his long recovery times, meanwhile Sonic gets a special that gives him a free smash attack if it hits, and Rosalina can do a teleporting smash attack with Luma. Customs don't even the playing field, they just add some additional bumps.

It also makes his recovery Little Mac tier. It's good but at top level play it's more of a hinderance IMO. I also saw this weekend Larry Lurr (top Fox player) gimp our top player who uses Diddy Kong that had that custom with a falling fair in grand finals. Good players will be able to exploit that weakness.

Fox has some of the best customs with how they change up his playstyle, Marth gets an upB that can KO at early percents near the ledge and makes his spacing game actually more scary since he can pressure you to the ledge. Before there wasn't much reward. DK's normals are fine too. You can utilt out of upB if you land the tornado upB in a lagless way, and the jumping sideB does wonders for mixups and pressure. His biggest weakness is how prone he is to being juggled, so I agree he still has similar weaknesses even if you can upB out of most things now with Kong Cyclone. Most customs won't magically fix their weaknesses but some of them DO help.

I still personally think Diddy is the best at the moment (but can see good arguments for Pikachu thanks to Heavy Skull Bash) with customs but they DO level the playing field a bit more. Sorry I don't think you looked into them as much.

Tell that to my 60-70% kills I get with uB3 or to my Wolf Flash spikes

Sure customs don't automatically even out the playing field but they do improve it

It doesn't make his recovery "Little Mac tier." He still has a significantly better double jump than Little Mac, his side b gives him momentum, very much unlike Little Mac's, and he can still up B afterwards.

And I don't know what I'm looking into. Nobody plays Marth, customs or not. Nobody plays half the cast because there's simply no reason to from a competitive standpoint, and apparently customs aren't convincing them, because aside from Donkey Kong and Palutena, all I've seen regarding customs is theories. As somebody who struggled with crappy post-nerf Greninja and has put a decent amount of work into Falco, the "customs will fix it" argument rings very hollow.

Cronox

Banned
I'd be totally down for any and all "For Fun" matches with NeoGAF that don't strictly adhere to tournament rulesets, but very few people (if anyone?) here besides me seem interested in that, and that's fine. Gotta go with what the majority of the community enjoys!

That said, I myself am down for occasional "For Glory" matches! I just get really bored and start not really enjoying the game when I play the same however many "legal" stages there are with no items, that's all. I can only play Battlefield, FD, and the Animal Crossing stages so many times before I start craving something a little more varied and platform-intensive like Woolly World! (Blame that on my love of platformers, I suppose.)

The problem with the stages considered illegal at tournaments is when you take competitive players there you find out very quickly why they're illegal. Those stages are fine when everyone just wants to have fun. When people want to win, they don't work. Me, Tipster and Boney did some 3 man free for alls a bit back and went to a number of non-tourney stages and within each match it was obvious why we shouldn't be playing there. I don't want to camp the bottom platform in woolly world when it transitions upwards, but I will because I'm interested in winning. While I like Colosseum, a stage that's all walk-off makes the whole battle a fight to see who can throw who into the side blast zones. A large crab that hits hard enough to KO characters, and hard to get around for lower mobility ones? Tourney mentality + those stages leads to unfun and unfair moments.

This is why I decided back in the Brawl days to play my 4 player local "for fun" games on a timer rather than stock. People can make mistakes and keep playing, are forced not to camp, and the person who kills the most and dies the least wins. Simple enough and who cares if you win that anyway, it's for fun. Sakurai knows this, which is why all the Smash games default to timed, what the average player who doesn't care about winning will like most.

The problem with the stages considered illegal at tournaments is when you take competitive players there you find out very quickly why they're illegal.

Except Skyloft, Wuhu, Kongo Jungle and possibly Norfair and Pokemon Stadium 2. Those first three being banned is bullshit :|

Except Skyloft, Wuhu, Kongo Jungle and possibly Norfair and Pokemon Stadium 2. Those first three being banned is bullshit :|

I don't really get the bans on the first three, but regarding Norfair I always thought it was because that lava would really intrude on play at times, even obstructing entire blast zones.

I think people don't respect PS2 in singles enough, but Tipster really doesn't like me picking it in doubles. :p

Cronox

Banned

Skyloft has multiple forms that aren't competitively viable, competitive players will just take potshots at each other and slow everything down during them. Wuhu has some crazy physics bugs and transformations that aren't viable (see the boat). Kongo Jungle's barrel operates as a RNG savior, and top platforms can be camped out by higher mobility characters with projectiles. Norfair, is that the one with the lava or Ridley? Either of those are reasons to ban the stage. Pokemon stadium 2 I don't have enough experience with.

Skyloft has multiple forms that aren't competitively viable, competitive players will just take potshots at each other and slow everything down during them. Wuhu has some crazy physics bugs and transformations that aren't viable (see the boat). Kongo Jungle's barrel operates as a RNG savior, and top platforms can be camped out by higher mobility characters with projectiles. Norfair, is that the one with the lava or Ridley? Either of those are reasons to ban the stage. Pokemon stadium 2 I don't have enough experience with.

Regarding Skyloft, Delfino can have the same issues with certain transformations discouraging aggressive play and forcing players to play ultra-safe so I don't think that's reason alone. Same with Wuhu, and I want to see these "crazy physics bugs" for myself.

Kongo's barrel isn't that bad but certainly lets players live longer. Regarding camping, you could simply strike it in tournament play or Duck Hunt would be called into question for being heavily biased against Mac and Dorf thanks to the tree.

Norfair is the lava one, so yep.

As a person who is interested in "winning" from the perspective of seeing how far I can go, I'd much rather be Peach and always have another person be better than me, than be Rosalina and be the best. That's just me though, so I'm fine in that respect. I can see how people are frustrated with the tier gaps, but at least where I'm at, it isn't nearly as obvious. I can fight Diddy Kong and ZSS as well as I can Marth or Falcon. And let's be real here -- it's pretty much impossible to balance a whole 50 characters. I do wish they had more frequent updates to balance things out a bit better, since Rosalina does seem obnoxiously good.

Nabster92

As a person who is interested in "winning" from the perspective of seeing how far I can go, I'd much rather be Peach and always have another person be better than me, than be Rosalina and be the best. That's just me though, so I'm fine in that respect. I can see how people are frustrated with the tier gaps, but at least where I'm at, it isn't nearly as obvious. I can fight Diddy Kong and ZSS as well as I can Marth or Falcon. And let's be real here -- it's pretty much impossible to balance a whole 50 characters. I do wish they had more frequent updates to balance things out a bit better, since Rosalina does seem obnoxiously good.

Why does Rosalina get singled out when Diddy and Sheik are even better characters ;_;

Why does Rosalina get singled out when Diddy and Sheik are even better characters ;_;

Because Diddy and Sheik need a lot more skill to become terrifying, whereas Rosalina is more terrifying in that "middle ground" between casual and pro, where I'd expect most of us who pay attention reside.

I'm not saying that Rosalina is a better character than them, just saying that she becomes good at a lower skill level than those two.

Rosalina's like, "Oh I'm gonna shoot out Luma, hit A, and cover half the stage with attacks." I feel like Peach has it easy with Luma because I can just float over their ass and drop turnips, and even THAT is a huge PITA with her 20 foot Fair.

I don't really get the bans on the first three, but regarding Norfair I always thought it was because that lava would really intrude on play at times, even obstructing entire blast zones.

If you're paying any attention all lava is entirely avoidable (hell you can just block or dodge the tidal wave) and you can even strategically use it in your favor

Skyloft has multiple forms that aren't competitively viable, competitive players will just take potshots at each other and slow everything down during them.

The fact that it's a moving stage makes that point irrelevant.

Wuhu has some crazy physics bugs and transformations that aren't viable (see the boat).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the boat. To my knowledge there are literally only 2 or 3 characters that can even use the kill glitch (with one of them being extremely character specific) and it needs to be in such a specific area that if you got hit by it and you knew about the glitch already then it was entirely your own fault.

There is nothing really wrong with any of the other transformations and again, because it moves, the ones that would otherwise be potentially problematic are a none issue.

Also, just a reminder that Delphino is legal and that arguably has just as many if not more issues than Skyloft and Wuhu.

Kongo Jungle's barrel operates as a RNG savior, and top platforms can be camped out by higher mobility characters with projectiles.

This version of Kongo Jungle is smaller than the previous one and there has yet to be anyone that can prove that said camping strategy is even viable in this version. Also, what's even RNG-ish about the barrel? It's constantly moving in the same pattern isn't it?

The problem is that you have like 40 characters who are balanced, and then 5-6 who just make a mockery of everyone else. It happens with nearly every fighting game and it's always baffling as to how several of them slipped in the way they are.

FSLink

Banned
The problem is that you have like 40 characters who are balanced, and then 5-6 who just make a mockery of everyone else. It happens with nearly every fighting game and it's always baffling as to how several of them slipped in the way they are.

It's pretty difficult to balance a large cast especially with fighting games where unintended techniques can happen.

It's more baffling that they don't have regular balance patches but honestly I'm okay with one every 6 months-1 year and they still haven't proven they won't patch it further outside of the Wii U parity patch.

Wuhu, Skyloft are banned due to music copyright stuff for EVO, and everyone copies the biggest tourney ruleset.

You can camp in Kongo Jungle using Peach and Diddy Kong + barrel. It's not usually banned in doubles though.
It doesn't make his recovery "Little Mac tier." He still has a significantly better double jump than Little Mac, his side b gives him momentum, very much unlike Little Mac's, and he can still up B afterwards.

I was being a bit hyperbolic, sorry if that didn't come through but it's still very exploitable. I think in most matchups the regular one will be preferred.

Because Diddy and Sheik need a lot more skill to become terrifying, whereas Rosalina is more terrifying in that "middle ground" between casual and pro, where I'd expect most of us who pay attention reside.

I'm not saying that Rosalina is a better character than them, just saying that she becomes good at a lower skill level than those two.

Rosalina's like, "Oh I'm gonna shoot out Luma, hit A, and cover half the stage with attacks." I feel like Peach has it easy with Luma because I can just float over their ass and drop turnips, and even THAT is a huge PITA with her 20 foot Fair.

Rosalina has a more campy playstyle. Campy playstyles are usually less popular than rushdown.

Nabster92

I don't think Diddy and Sheik need more skill to be terrifying, but there may just be more Diddy's and Sheik's that are at a lower skill level to make them not seem as bad because more people just pick them up because they're top tier.

And at the "middle ground" level of skill I feel like many more characters would be just as terrifying if not more so like Lucario being able to kill at like 30% with Force Palm with rage, and NOT being the 4th lightest character in the game like Rosalina.

*shrug* Maybe it's just because I don't encounter too many other Rosalina's very often and when I do, I don't see going against her being as difficult since I actually understand things she can do.

I just have a bad feeling that Rosalina may do significantly worse when people start figuring her out and learning how to effectively kill Luma more, but before that she will get nerfed due to her being singled out as OP, so she'll drop even more. :(

I don't think Diddy and Sheik need more skill to be terrifying, but there may just be more Diddy's and Sheik's that are at a lower skill level to make them not seem as bad because more people just pick them up because they're top tier.

And at the "middle ground" level of skill I feel like many more characters would be just as terrifying if not more so like Lucario being able to kill at like 30% with Force Palm with rage, and NOT being the 4th lightest character in the game like Rosalina.

*shrug* Maybe it's just because I don't encounter too many other Rosalina's very often and when I do, I don't see going against her being as difficult since I actually understand things she can do.

I just have a bad feeling that Rosalina may do significantly worse when people start figuring her out and learning how to effectively kill Luma more, but before that she will get nerfed due to her being singled out as OP, so she'll drop even more. :(

Regarding potential balance changes for Rosa, I believe a lot of it has to do with how the Japanese meta is developing. Are there any notable RosaLuma players over there, and how do they play? What results do they get, domestically and internationally?

Yeah I don't have a problem with campy characters, it's just that I feel Rosalina isn't gimped enough without Luma. Her dodge is TOO damn good, and I can't lay a finger on her when she switches to "oh crap dodge" mode. Again, that's mainly because I'm not good enough to just outread them or any of that, but at my level it's pretty annoying. Duck Hunt or Link or Villager, I can fight. Rosalina, either I can tell it's a player that doesn't know how to play Rosalina, or I get totally walled.

Cronox

Banned
Regarding Skyloft, Delfino can have the same issues with certain transformations discouraging aggressive play and forcing players to play ultra-safe so I don't think that's reason alone. Same with Wuhu, and I want to see these "crazy physics bugs" for myself.

Kongo's barrel isn't that bad but certainly lets players live longer. Regarding camping, you could simply strike it in tournament play or Duck Hunt would be called into question for being heavily biased against Mac and Dorf thanks to the tree.

Norfair is the lava one, so yep.
If you're paying any attention all lava is entirely avoidable (hell you can just block or dodge the tidal wave) and you can even strategically use it in your favor

No competitive player wants to be bounced off of stage hazards like the lava wall covering one side of the stage. When the stage becomes more important than the neutral game between the players it's too much.

The fact that it's a moving stage makes that point irrelevant.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the boat. To my knowledge there are literally only 2 or 3 characters that can even use the kill glitch (with one of them being extremely character specific) and it needs to be in such a specific area that if you got hit by it and you knew about the glitch already then it was entirely your own fault.

There is nothing really wrong with any of the other transformations and again, because it moves, the ones that would otherwise be potentially problematic are a none issue.

Also, just a reminder that Delphino is legal and that arguably has just as many if not more issues than Skyloft and Wuhu.

This version of Kongo Jungle is smaller than the previous one and there has yet to be anyone that can prove that said camping strategy is even viable in this version. Also, what's even RNG-ish about the barrel? It's constantly moving in the same pattern isn't it?

Delfino doesn't have any transformation that stops everything like the fountain in Skyloft. Jumping over the platform towards the other side is a big "hit me now" sign, and if both players end up on one side it becomes the who can throw someone into the walk-off game, falling under the definition of "degenerate gameplay." The transitions in Skyloft disproportionately effect slower characters compared to Delfino, Halberd or Castle Siege - think of the bird's roost (IIRC), with it's spaced out platforms. Also the high platform at the right during some of the traveling phase gives characters with higher jump heights easy combo boosts for early kills off the top.

Kongo's barrel is RNG as soon as it's off-camera. I suppose you could set an mp3 to play "left.... right... left" the whole time, but no one is going to do that. I haven't even mentioned the part where characters can come up through the stage. Kongo is the widest stage to allow such a thing.

Wuhu, I honestly don't have enough experience with to keep arguing about.

People with more knowledge than us, who consulted players better than us made these decisions, and every time I play a stage that isn't tourney legal I'm glad it's banned. There's a difference between a fun stage and a competitive one. On smashboards I see mid-level players talking about making more stages legal, but why haven't any top 8 players said something? If we made some of these stages legal I suspect players like Zero, Keitaro, Dabuz and others would immediately demonstrate why they were banned. With customs in play I really don't see a lack of variety.

I'd say Diddy doesn't, you just have to be able to play at a certain speed and not fuck up his recovery. The neutral game plays itself.

Wuhu, Skyloft are banned due to music copyright stuff for EVO, and everyone copies the biggest tourney ruleset.

They were banned before that by Apex and before that by something else. It's not just the music.

Nabster92

Regarding potential balance changes for Rosa, I believe a lot of it has to do with how the Japanese meta is developing. Are there any notable RosaLuma players over there, and how do they play? What results do they get, domestically and internationally?

I don't understand this Japan tier list. Is this first one without customs and the second one with customs? Or did they just drop Rosalina from A to B tier in the span of 10 days?

https://game8.jp/matome/22362
https://game8.jp/matome/16664

Edit: Wait the second one says 3DS instead of Wii U...Wonder why it's so drastically different...

Edit2: nvm, second one is an older version despite the date being more recent on the page.

The problem with the stages considered illegal at tournaments is when you take competitive players there you find out very quickly why they're illegal. Those stages are fine when everyone just wants to have fun. When people want to win, they don't work. Me, Tipster and Boney did some 3 man free for alls a bit back and went to a number of non-tourney stages and within each match it was obvious why we shouldn't be playing there. I don't want to camp the bottom platform in woolly world when it transitions upwards, but I will because I'm interested in winning. While I like Colosseum, a stage that's all walk-off makes the whole battle a fight to see who can throw who into the side blast zones. A large crab that hits hard enough to KO characters, and hard to get around for lower mobility ones? Tourney mentality + those stages leads to unfun and unfair moments.

This is why I decided back in the Brawl days to play my 4 player local "for fun" games on a timer rather than stock. People can make mistakes and keep playing, are forced not to camp, and the person who kills the most and dies the least wins. Simple enough and who cares if you win that anyway, it's for fun. Sakurai knows this, which is why all the Smash games default to timed, what the average player who doesn't care about winning will like most.

Oh, sure. I'm not arguing that tournament players shouldn't ban whatever stages they want for tournament play. I'm sure you all have your reasons for not wanting to play on those stages, I get it. I'm just saying that for me personally, "banning" like 80% of the content in Smash makes it really boring to play after awhile, and that's why I don't bother participating in the tournament scene even if I'm decent enough at the game to. Playing on the same five or so stages over and over and removing all items and Final Smashes and whatnot just utterly sucks the life and color out of the game, for me personally. It's just not something I care to do, no matter how good at the game I get (and I have been improving quite a bit recently from watching Mega Man tournament play and picking up on what those players do).

But if there's anyone else here in SmashGAF who feels like I do and is interested in playing under rulesets and on stages other than tournament-only ones, I'm super down. I've long wanted to play with SmashGAF, but it just seems like everyone here but me only wants to do the tourney-legal stuff, and since I'm in the minority, I'm just staying quiet about it. ;)

That said, I can go either way on items most of the time. I enjoy having them on, but I also appreciate the uninterrupted purity that comes from turning them off. But playing on the same few, flat stages with the same platform arrangements time and time again - in a game with around 50 stages! - just gets horribly boring for me, and in my experience, many (not all) "banned" stages are banned simply because players just don't want to bother getting good at anticipating and avoiding hazards that are perfectly easy to plan for and play around, and I personally think being good at that is part of being good at everything that encompasses Smash overall. But hey, that's just me!

There aren't really any Rosalina players over there.

hell, there's barely any Rosalina players over here aside from Dabuz

Tripon

Garden of Hope would be a good competitive stage actually. The Crab is dumb, but avoidable as long as you know it is there. Its just like the cannon in Halberd, and we allow that stage because its a good stage despite the hazard. Just like Garden of Hope is a good stage despite the crab.

FSLink

Banned
They were banned before that by Apex and before that by something else. It's not just the music.
Before it was because everyone was conservative about the rulesets (see: no customs). Now that everyone wants to experiment with customs and even a full stage list striking system, not many are looking to Wuhu and such because of the EVO thing.

Garden of Hope would be a good competitive stage actually. The Crab is dumb, but avoidable as long as you know it is there. Its just like the cannon in Halberd, and we allow that stage because its a good stage despite the hazard. Just like Garden of Hope is a good stage despite the crab.

Exactly. Garden of Hope should absolutely be legal; it's interesting layout-wise and provides a welcome reprieve from all the samey flat or flat-with-two-or-three-platforms stages that are currently used, and the crab is easy to see coming and even easier to avoid. And really, being able to account for known-quantity environmental factors in the middle of a match should be something good Smash players are able to do anyway! I think Norfair, at least, should be legal for this reason as well.

Boney

Banned
So, in case somebody hasn't registered their wii u code and isn't planning to, I'd be happy to receive it. My brother gave me his 3ds code but sadly I bought my wii u version used and there was no code :(

Played a guy Fox vs. Mario, he won the first match so I figured I'd stick with Fox to get some practice in. Then he switches to Mac and I take the next two. -__-

That matchup is in Mac's favor but his fundamentals needed some real work. Too much reliance on expecting me to make mistakes when I was capitalizing on this thought process instead. Mindgames are so much fun~

Cronox

Banned
Oh, sure. I'm not arguing that tournament players shouldn't ban whatever stages they want for tournament play. I'm sure you all have your reasons for not wanting to play on those stages, I get it. I'm just saying that for me personally, "banning" like 80% of the content in Smash makes it really boring to play after awhile, and that's why I don't bother participating in the tournament scene even if I'm decent enough at the game to. Playing on the same five or so stages over and over and removing all items and Final Smashes and whatnot just utterly sucks the life and color out of the game, for me personally. It's just not something I care to do, no matter how good at the game I get (and I have been improving quite a bit recently from watching Mega Man tournament play and picking up on what those players do).

But if there's anyone else here in SmashGAF who feels like I do and is interested in playing under rulesets and on stages other than tournament-only ones, I'm super down. I've long wanted to play with SmashGAF, but it just seems like everyone here but me only wants to do the tourney-legal stuff, and since I'm in the minority, I'm just staying quiet about it. ;)

That said, I can go either way on items most of the time. I enjoy having them on, but I also appreciate the uninterrupted purity that comes from turning them off. But playing on the same few, flat stages with the same platform arrangements time and time again - in a game with around 50 stages! - just gets horribly boring for me, and in my experience, many (not all) "banned" stages are banned simply because players just don't want to bother getting good at anticipating and avoiding hazards that are perfectly easy to plan for and play around, and I personally think being good at that is part of being good at everything that encompasses Smash overall. But hey, that's just me!

This is fine and all. All I'm saying is, if you play with the sorts of people that populate a community thread for a fighting game 5 months after release, they're going to play competitively and abuse stage/item mechanics to win, and you may not find it as fun as you'd think.

Also, I know you're exaggerating to make a point, but I think this list is appreciably large:
All For Glory Stages/Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Skyloft
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino
Duck Hunt

I played a guy who seemed to be pretty good at Ganondorf. Until I stood still and realized all he was doing was spamming attacks in sequence hoping to get lucky Wizard Foots and up smashes. This goshdang video game.

And I think a problem with Garden of Hope is that certain characters could camp behind the sticks.

I just watched a five minute video of people playing Project M...

And all I will say is that it is *definitely* a game made by the community. Eugh.

I 100% agree with you! The most fun I've ever had with the series were always the FFAs and 2v2s with my friends (friendly fire OFF). In fact in retrospect, I only ever played 1v1 when there weren't 3 or more of us playing. I'm ok with items (though I do prefer them off, final smashes are fine), and I love to play on all sorts of stages.

So I'm also down to play matches with full casual ruleset. I play Mega Man too, so maybe we can have some MM dittos or something ;p

I just watched a five minute video of people playing Project M...

And all I will say is that it is *definitely* a game made by the community. Eugh.

What does that mean? '~'

I got new internet, so now I'm streaming Twitch on Source quality while I got a YT vid at 1080p and I'm playing Sm4sh online like it's no problem. feelssogood.gif

Too much like Melee?
I think it's interesting to watch in that it's sort of like Melee but it's not just Fox vs Marth vs Falco.

If by "too much like melee" you mean that can't stop jacking off to every single facet of Melee, to include the announcer, stock icons, and everything else, yes. Melee gameplay? Alright, cool, go for it. Making a DeviantArt version of Melee? Come on man. And then you have shit like Mewtwo's entry SFX being his RBY cry (which sounds HORRIFICALLY out of place), apparently Final Destination has DBZ music or some shit. The character select screen is literally different for the sake of different (and basically looks like a puked up Melee CSS) it all just screams "12 year old jacks off to Melee too much".

I guess it's possible that this happens to be a further modded version of Project M, but wow, that was horrible. No level of restraint or thinking "Is adding this actually a good idea".

I mean I'm sure the gameplay is probably a Melee player's dream, but holy hell the presentation is awful. Hopefully that's not actually Project M.

EDIT: This is the video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf_jXlM_rGA

Neki

So, in case somebody hasn't registered their wii u code and isn't planning to, I'd be happy to receive it. My brother gave me his 3ds code but sadly I bought my wii u version used and there was no code :(

How does it come with no code? Did someone already use it?

Top Bottom