• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

If by "too much like melee" you mean that can't stop jacking off to every single facet of Melee, to include the announcer, stock icons, and everything else, yes. Melee gameplay? Alright, cool, go for it. Making a DeviantArt version of Melee? Come on man. And then you have shit like Mewtwo's entry SFX being his RBY cry (which sounds HORRIFICALLY out of place), apparently Final Destination has DBZ music or some shit. The character select screen is literally different for the sake of different (and basically looks like a puked up Melee CSS) it all just screams "12 year old jacks off to Melee too much".

I guess it's possible that this happens to be a further modded version of Project M, but wow, that was horrible. No level of restraint or thinking "Is adding this actually a good idea".

I mean I'm sure the gameplay is probably a Melee player's dream, but holy hell the presentation is awful. Hopefully that's not actually Project M.

EDIT: This is the video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf_jXlM_rGA

lol, There's your problem. Default PM uses Brawl's announcer and stock icons, all characters still retain most if not all of their Brawl colors untouched, as of 3.5 there's only one new song that wasn't in Brawl IIRC which you can listen to here, and the CSS uses Brawl portraits with the obvious exceptions of Mewtwo and Roy. That video's using a modified PM, so it's not a good example of what PM looks like in its natural condition.

I should probably record a video of vanilla PM for situations like this.

Oh, and not to mention PM still includes various techs introduced in Brawl like pivot grabs, Reverse Aerial Rush, footstools, glide tossing, and B-reversals. There's plenty of Brawl love in the game too, since it's meant to be a celebration of Smash as a whole and not just Melee. Otherwise they'd have probably removed those nasty Brawl characters like Snake and Ice Climbers. ;P

If by "too much like melee" you mean that can't stop jacking off to every single facet of Melee, to include the announcer, stock icons, and everything else, yes. Melee gameplay? Alright, cool, go for it. Making a DeviantArt version of Melee? Come on man. And then you have shit like Mewtwo's entry SFX being his RBY cry (which sounds HORRIFICALLY out of place), apparently Final Destination has DBZ music or some shit. The character select screen is literally different for the sake of different (and basically looks like a puked up Melee CSS) it all just screams "12 year old jacks off to Melee too much".

I guess it's possible that this happens to be a further modded version of Project M, but wow, that was horrible. No level of restraint or thinking "Is adding this actually a good idea".

I mean I'm sure the gameplay is probably a Melee player's dream, but holy hell the presentation is awful. Hopefully that's not actually Project M.

EDIT: This is the video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf_jXlM_rGA

Project M is pretty customizable, so that stuff doesn't have to be in there. I think most competitions use the Brawl announcer and are pretty restrained with or just don't use custom music. The UI isn't amazing but it's kind of neat that it isn't as static as Melee or Brawl's.

lol, There's your problem. Default PM uses Brawl's announcer and stock icons, all characters still retain most if not all of their Brawl colors untouched, as of 3.5 there's only one new song that wasn't in Brawl IIRC which you can listen to here, and the CSS uses Brawl portraits with the obvious exceptions of Mewtwo and Roy. That video's using a modified PM, so it's not a good example of what PM looks like in its natural condition.

I should probably record a video of vanilla PM for situations like this.

Okay good, because that video made my eyes bleed.

this is obviously a further modded version of Project M, do you really think half the stuff in that video (like Roy stuttering in midair or Kirby dropping from the ledge to the bottom blast zone instantly) could be done on the normal version

edit: welp the Direct thread just went off the rails with the April Fools jokes

Tripon

Project M is pretty customizable, so that stuff doesn't have to be in there. I think most competitions use the Brawl announcer and are pretty restrained with or just don't use custom music. The UI isn't amazing but it's kind of neat that it isn't as static as Melee or Brawl's.

Right now, most tournaments don't use modded music, but I remember last year watching tournaments just straight out ripping copyrighted music from other games to play for project M matches.

this is obviously a further modded version of Project M, do you really think half the stuff in that video (like Roy stuttering in midair or Kirby dropping from the ledge to the bottom blast zone instantly) could be done on the normal version

Well they said "breaking" so I assumed they were taking advantage of some glitch in the current version of it or some shit

Cronox

Banned

Yeah, that video isn't a good representation of the gameplay in project M. Just last weekend, the Project M tournament in Texas was pretty hype to watch. It's a fusion of Melee and Brawl, with all sorts of character-specific tech. The grand finals was Diddy vs Roy, the only game you'll ever see such a thing. They haven't uploaded the set yet or I'd link it here. If I had anyone to play it with and it had good online (which, admittedly I've never looked into), I'd probably be attempting to play that instead. The work they've done is amazing, I'm continually surprised at the things they've been able to do when it comes to stages/mechanics/characters. I mean, did you see the trailer that premiered this weekend for 3.6? What you don't see there are a number of other levels they made entirely on their own, a "Skyloft" they made before Smash 4's version, a Castlevania stage...

Menus are menus, they're a little retro, but things like the stage select are specifically made for tournament usage - stage striking and such. Sounds... well I consider Smash 4 to be incredibly inconsistent with sound effects and voices so I don't see much in non-modded Project M to be concerned with.

Edit: by the way, I'm up for some matches if anyone else is...

Yeah, that video isn't a good representation of the gameplay in project M. Just last weekend, the Project M tournament in Texas was pretty hype to watch. It's a fusion of Melee and Brawl, with all sorts of character-specific tech. The grand finals was Diddy vs Roy, the only game you'll ever see such a thing. They haven't uploaded the set yet or I'd link it here. If I had anyone to play it with and it had good online (which, admittedly I've never looked into), I'd probably be attempting to play that instead. The work they've done is amazing, I'm continually surprised at the things they've been able to do when it comes to stages/mechanics/characters. I mean, did you see the trailer that premiered this weekend for 3.6? What you don't see there are a number of other levels they made entirely on their own, a "Skyloft" they made before Smash 4's version, a Castlevania stage...

Menus are menus, they're a little retro, but things like the stage select are specifically made for tournament usage - stage striking and such. Sounds... well I consider Smash 4 to be incredibly inconsistent with sound effects and voices so I don't see much in non-modded Project M to be concerned with.

Edit: by the way, I'm up for some matches if anyone else is...

Yeah man, let's do a few.

Gotta pay you back for that cloud camping haha. :p

Boney

Banned
How does it come with no code? Did someone already use it?
I bought the console used along with smash and some other games so he might've used it. Mario kart and 3d world had codes at least so yay.

Also club Nintendo says smash 3ds copy was registered, but it's not showing up for me and it says it's been registered on my account, so I basically was robbed there. Guess I'm buying Mewtwo, hopefully it's not more than 5 bucks

Nabster92

Man this April Fool's thing on Anther's ladder burns my eyes. At least I got back up to 20th again. Think I'll sit out the ladder there until it's back to normal.

Dat Sakurai tweet...man, I hope Mewtwo gets a CG trailer with another character reveal. Doubtful, I know, but would be so cool.

Lucas vs Mewtwo psychic fight? Bring it on.

Good games Cronox! Your Bowser's still really intense man. I also like how you kept trying different strategies as we went on. Still, if I got even a little careless, it was to hell with me. Some really great stuff you've got going on there!

Thanks for playing, and good luck in your ranbats! Beef's pretty scary too! :)

Cronox

Banned
Good games Tipster. I don't know if it's a matter of my character being too slow, my reactions being too slow, or lag, probably all of them, but I just could not catch you. I don't think I once stopped you from returning to the stage. You did some ridiculous spot dodges and rolls. Bowser being a large character, even when you should be getting hit by jabs and tilts, if you're somewhat inside him you don't get hit. Your Mega Man was always rolling into me right as I was trying a jab or tilt, and rolling away from me as I tried to fortress. I had to call it cause at some point the buzz saw to throw combos break my morale. It was a fight to get one stock off you after our first few battles...

I don't know what to say, I still don't know what to do about the buzz saw, if I stay in shield I'm just fucked in general. But getting hit doesn't help either. I'm still working on that. I tried dash slash at the beginning as you noticed, but eventually switched back as I couldn't get the kill on you. Of course, then when I had the normal klaw I never managed to kill you with it anyway. Oy.

I just got home from work (I got my schedules mixed up and I closed tonight) and I'm very hungry, so we can have our ranbat in a little bit when Im done eating.

You can let me know. As long as you don't play Mega Man or Yoshi, I'm not in a state to fight them right now. I'll get the room up in a sec.

Beef's pretty scary too! :)

Lovely...

Good games Cronox! Your Bowser's still really intense man. I also like how you kept trying different strategies as we went on. Still, if I got even a little careless, it was to hell with me. Some really great stuff you've got going on there!

Thanks for playing, and good luck in your ranbats! Beef's pretty scary too! :)

Yo Tipster, any chance I can play you sometime this week? I need experience with projectile characters because I want to learn how to play patiently with the Stache and Space Animals.

Also fuck metal blade.

Oh boy, here we go. A Nintendo Direct tomorrow + April Fools Day can mean only one thing: new probably-fake Smash leaks!

This leak claims that Mewtwo, Popo/Nana (by themselves; Nana is an alt for Popo), Wolf, and a mystery fourth character are all coming in separate DLC packs to be released throughout the rest of the year. The leak also says a Smash Store will open immediately following tomorrow's Direct that provides information on these DLC packs, so basically just like the Mario Kart 8 store. All packs contain the new character, 50 new Stage Builder parts, a new menu theme, and - if you pre-order the packs - an exclusive trophy that gets added to your collection in both Smash 3DS and Wii U.

Yeah, it reeks of bullshit, but can anyone source these renders of Popo and Wolf?

Screen_Shot_2015_04_01_at_12_11_19_AM.png

It's fake in all likelihood, but it sure would be awesome if it wasn't. My two cents: it's a pretty well-done fake, but the amateurish writing in the rest of the images (see the link) gives it away. Nintendo's marketing text is typically much more professionally-written than this.

This is fine and all. All I'm saying is, if you play with the sorts of people that populate a community thread for a fighting game 5 months after release, they're going to play competitively and abuse stage/item mechanics to win, and you may not find it as fun as you'd think.

Also, I know you're exaggerating to make a point, but I think this list is appreciably large:
All For Glory Stages/Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Skyloft
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino
Duck Hunt

I was exaggerating a bit, yeah, but come on... that's still only around 20% of the entire stage roster, meaning 80% of the stages go unused (not counting all the Omega stages, which I don't because they're all just different skins of FD). I think my point still stands. :p

Also, my friends and I are good enough to know how to use stage exploits to our advantage, but we still enjoy taking turns picking from the entire stage roster over limiting our selection to just the same ten or so stages over and over. Different strokes, though. I understand why you guys like playing with the rules you do, it just isn't for me.

Sure man. I'd even irresponsibly play now if you want.
Nah, I'm about to turn in and I'd rather we play at peak mental condition. :)
Oh boy, here we go. A Nintendo Direct tomorrow + April Fools Day can mean only one thing: new probably-fake Smash leaks!

That's definitely fake on the basis of the Ice Climbers are romantic partners in Smash lore, and I take my lore seriously. >:T

Also it says Miiverse stage comes with Mewtwo when Sakurai said it would be added in a free update, and trophies as pre-order incentives are weak as fuck even for Nintendo.

Also it says Miiverse stage comes with Mewtwo when Sakurai said it would be added in a free update, and trophies as pre-order incentives are weak as fuck even for Nintendo.

Ah, that's a good point about the Miiverse stage. If this leak is somehow real, it sure would piss off a lot of people if that was suddenly part of a paid DLC pack...

Cronox

Banned
Yeah, I'll reset after this if it doesn't come up.

Good games. Frustrated, as usual, but such is my life as Bowser.

Edit: of course I forgot to save replays for you Karsticles. Just as well since my phone crashed twice while I tried to record the gfycat I put up a couple days ago, I don't think it's in great shape to take full match videos. Let's just say trip sapling in the middle of the stages aren't great, especially ones without platforms or a small one like battlefield. I wonder if the moving stages would be better stage counterpicks... Then again, in 6 matches I picked the stage twice, so you may not get that choice. Really makes me appreciate Anther's ladder, where you have to check back in between every match and loser always picks the stage.

Good games. Frustrated, as usual, but such is my life as Bowser.

Edit: of course I forgot to save replays for you Karsticles. Let's just say trip sapling in the middle of the stages aren't great, especially ones without platforms or a small one like battlefield. I wonder if the moving stages would be better stage counterpicks...

I think a stage like Skyloft would be pretty helpful for you.

Actually, I don't know. You'd still have to deal with the sling shot.

Edit: The more I think about it, I think that's just a really rough match up for Bowser. Especially with the customs.

Cronox

Banned
I think a stage like Skyloft would be pretty helpful for you.

Actually, I don't know. You'd still have to deal with the sling shot.

Edit: The more I think about it, I think that's just a really rough match up for Bowser. Especially with the customs.

I personally don't like Skyloft, but that's the idea anyway. It's probably a 60-40 matchup normally, though Karsticles would disagree I'm sure. Trip sapling makes it worse.

Masked Man

I said wow
It's fake in all likelihood, but it sure would be awesome if it wasn't. My two cents: it's a pretty well-done fake, but the amateurish writing in the rest of the images (see the link) gives it away. Nintendo's marketing text is typically much more professionally-written than this.

I can't source the renders, so it's still up in the air in that sense. The copyright at the bottom of the screen still says 2014, though, which strikes me as a bit odd. Plus, the whole concept of a website "leaking" is pretty absurd. That said, I wasn't impressed with the writing in the 3DS/Wii U versions, so the quality of this text doesn't disprove it for me. ;P

FSLink

Banned
Why the fuck are we even entertaining a fake that took a camera shot of a supposed web page? Who would even do such a thing if it were real?

If it were real, the leaker is an idiot and can't use print screen or take any decent photos. And yeah I agree that the text is badly written. :p

I can't source the renders, so it's still up in the air in that sense. The copyright at the bottom of the screen still says 2014, though, which strikes me as a bit odd. Plus, the whole concept of a website "leaking" is pretty absurd. That said, I wasn't impressed with the writing in the 3DS/Wii U versions, so the quality of this text doesn't disprove it for me. ;P

Yeah, the whole idea of a website or web page leaking in the first place was one of the initial red flags for me.

Why the fuck are we even entertaining a fake that took a camera shot of a supposed web page? Who would even do such a thing if it were real?

If it were real, the leaker is an idiot and can't use print screen or take any decent photos. And yeah I agree that the text is badly written. :p

I don't think anyone's entertaining it. It's just fun to discuss these leaks in a "What if?" fashion. SmashGAF's best days were easily the pre-release hype days with all the fake leaks and the (almost) endless, raw speculation they fueled.

Cronox

Banned
Livejournal time.

To top off my night of assbeatings I met probably the best player I've ever played in FG tonight, and for some reason he decided to stay and beat me over and over for a while. First he beat me with Captain Falcon, then Metaknight, Sheik, Diddy (yay Diddy matchup experience) and Fox. He's probably the best player I've played with 3 of those characters. His spacing, shielding and timing were ridiculous, he had the reads like no one I've fought. And some of you have very good reads. He just knew where I was going at all times, tricks that work even on GAFers were useless against him. Sometimes I meet players and I just don't know if they're playing the same game I am. As if they were using a controller that made everything take half as long, or they didn't need to follow the rules like I did.

I'm not even discouraged, the experience just forces acceptance that I'll never be that good. And that Bowser just can't keep up people playing these fast characters. These characters generally don't commit themselves when they do their moves, but I have to commit myself in attempting to punish them. When there's no way to land against a Captain Falcon, when we both whiff grabs at the same time and he turns around and grabs me before Bowser's grab whiff animation finishes, when he shields fortress, punishes every move's ending animation (ftilts in particular were asking to get punished against him, and I don't think I landed a single fire breath without getting punished)... I don't even know what to say. Every landed attack was a major victory, but with Bowser there are no followups, just the reset to neutral. He ledge trumped me from onstage, online. Who does that? In local play, yeah, but online I find it nearly impossible to pull off. But he did it, multiple times. He let me get back to the stage for more punishment most of the time, though he eventually demonstrated his ability to edge guard me easily.

I'm tempted to look him up and see if I was on a stream or something. Just a surreal experience, I suppose. I remembered to save some replays this time, at least.

Look at those polies on Mewtwo's tail! Nintendo's smash renders are always super clean

Also Nintendo never does exclusive stuff with DLC like the pre-order trophies. "Pre-Ordering" pack DLC in Nintendo games nets you the bonus thing no matter when you buy it, even after it's been released. Dark Link and Gold Mario are still obtainable in Hyrule Warriors and Mario Golf, and the Yoshi/Shy Guy colors will still be available.

More likely, if Nintendo does packs, there will be some kind of bonus for buying both packs, which you get day 1 of being able to pre-order, not necessarily a pre-order bonus. And it probably won't be something as trivial as a single trophy (seriously?), much more likely it's some alt colors or a costume for a character.

Livejournal time.

To top off my night of assbeatings I met probably the best player I've ever played in FG tonight, and for some reason he decided to stay and beat me over and over for a while. First he beat me with Captain Falcon, then Metaknight, Sheik, Diddy (yay Diddy matchup experience) and Fox. He's probably the best player I've played with 3 of those characters. His spacing, shielding and timing were ridiculous, he had the reads like no one I've fought. And some of you have very good reads. He just knew where I was going at all times, tricks that work even on GAFers were useless against him. Sometimes I meet players and I just don't know if they're playing the same game I am. As if they were using a controller that made everything take half as long, or they didn't need to follow the rules like I did.

I'm not even discouraged, the experience just forces acceptance that I'll never be that good. And that Bowser just can't keep up people playing these fast characters. These characters generally don't commit themselves when they do their moves, but I have to commit myself in attempting to punish them. When there's no way to land against a Captain Falcon, when we both whiff grabs at the same time and he turns around and grabs me before Bowser's grab whiff animation finishes, when he shields fortress, punishes every move's ending animation (ftilts in particular were asking to get punished against him, and I don't think I landed a single fire breath without getting punished)... I don't even know what to say. Every landed attack was a major victory, but with Bowser there are no followups, just the reset to neutral. He ledge trumped me from onstage, online. Who does that? In local play, yeah, but online I find it nearly impossible to pull off. But he did it, multiple times. He let me get back to the stage for more punishment most of the time, though he eventually demonstrated his ability to edge guard me easily.

I'm tempted to look him up and see if I was on a stream or something. Just a surreal experience, I suppose. I remembered to save some replays this time, at least.

I know the feeling. I encounter better players than me, since I'm not that great (And I main a Zelda so thats another factor). But only a couple of times I encountered a truly amazing player. Encountered one Luigi player that literally got me from 0% to 89% in a few seconds and I can't even respond since I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the hell he's doing. I was happy just to even hit him lol. (I only managed to hit him for 12% lol)

Puruzi

Banned
Whenever I play against a Luigi in FG I feel like they just jump and press buttons until they hit the ground. Over and over again.

Top Bottom