• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I don't see Ridley as being realistic, he's already a stage hazard. Wolf I guess... though his specials already nearly exist as customs. For Bayonetta, if she shows skin during her attacks that's definitely past ZSS. Also, I think Nintendo being who they are, they would have their DLC rated, or a warning to parents or something that would make them unlikely to consider her in the first place.

Btw, the Bowser amiibo for Mario Kart 8 looks terrible :(
I don't care about Amiibo. :p

Lucas' specials exist as customs, but he is here. I agree that Bayonetta and Ridley are super unlikely. Actually, I think I won't vote at all. If I vote, then I will get my hopes up and invest myself into getting that character. It will be harder to focus on Mewtwo if I vote for Ridley and convince myself that he has a chance. I'm cool with not partaking in the poll and just getting whatever comes. Mewtwo looks fantastic, so I am happy.

Quoting this for folks that want info:
Here's what folks might have missed in the Direct:
Mewtwo is coming April 28 as DLC.
If you bought both versions and registered, you will get Mewtwo on April 15.
Lucas is currently in the works. He will come out in June.
Sakurai is opening a survey for people to vote for more character DLC.
The poll closes on October 5, 2015. That basically confirms DLC for Smash all the way into 2016.
A balance patch is coming.
Mii Costumes are coming - they let you dress as characters like Dunban, Megaman X, and Protoman.

A full trailer. Pretty much Melee Mewtwo.

Masked Man

I said wow
MY BOY LUCAS IS BACK!
BEST NEWS EVER!
THANK YOU BASED SAKURAI!
ヽ(;▽;)ノヽ(;▽;)ノヽ(;▽;)ノ

Cronox

Banned
Lucas' specials exist as customs, but he is here.

Yeah, that's the rub, Wolf is likely because of this. Actually, I think it's generally easier for them to remake old smash characters since (based on Mewtwo and Lucas) they obviously didn't do any rethinking of their movesets. I'm a little disappointed with that. Mewtwo was not exactly high tier in Melee, I hope they at least did some tinkering with speed, priority and power cause otherwise I don't see Mewtwo changing the competitive scene much. Surprised they kept the dsmash that only hits one side, the character already has a major coverage problem because of that. His usmash will be a much more unsafe commitment for catching rolls.

This is me waiting for Mewtwo right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

You've been reduced to gibberish, and then your head explodes?

TWILT

Banned
The Direct has me so hype right now. I mean the Smash news was hype of course, but Fire Emblem oh my god

Also prolly voting for Wonder Red or/and Bayonetta

SoldnerKei

The Direct has me so hype right now. I mean the Smash news was hype of course, but Fire Emblem oh my god

that SMTxFE wasn't what I was expecting at all thou... like seriously, nothing on that trailer looked like anything from those games, it looked more like PersonaXHatsuneMiku

but yeah, the other FE trailer, gosh, I need that game asap

as for Mewtwo I am glad that he can actually do damage with reflected projectiles now xD

Fighting game characters are very expensive to make. Each Skullgirls character costs $500,000, and Seth Killian once said that's a great price for a well-made character.

Does anyone have a Youtube link to the Mewtwo trailer? I can't find it standalone.

Yeah, that's the rub, Wolf is likely because of this. Actually, I think it's generally easier for them to remake old smash characters since (based on Mewtwo and Lucas) they obviously didn't do any rethinking of their movesets. I'm a little disappointed with that. Mewtwo was not exactly high tier in Melee, I hope they at least did some tinkering with speed, priority and power cause otherwise I don't see Mewtwo changing the competitive scene much. Surprised they kept the dsmash that only hits one side, the character already has a major coverage problem because of that. His usmash will be a much more unsafe commitment for catching rolls.

You've been reduced to gibberish, and then your head explodes?
KABOOM!

Mewtwo got the change I wanted: reflected projectiles have hitboxes now. So now he has a projectile and an anti-camping tool, plus the great teleport and stun. I'm pretty happy. He just needed polish from Melee, not a complete reworking. Plus, don't forget he will have custom moves. Those are guaranteed to be odd, because no other character has a teleport without a hitbox with variations.

Fire Emblem was good, but WTF at having to buy two copies. That is not making me happy. That chick in the purple, though...

that SMTxFE wasn't what I was expecting at all thou... like seriously, nothing on that trailer looked like anything from those games, it looked more like PersonaXHatsuneMiku

but yeah, the other FE trailer, gosh, I need that game asap

as for Mewtwo I am glad that he can actually do damage with reflected projectiles now xD
It looked just like a Persona x Fire Emblem. ;-)

The Link Mii costume bothers me.

I noticed early on that the game was missing a Link hat, and thought it was a strange omission.

I actually kind of wonder if it was held back for DLC... I don't want to believe that, but a Link hat seems so obvious as a Mii hat, only to not have it, it's just weird.

But anyway, what's the point of Mii hats if you can't play Mii online with randoms to show off how much money you have?

SoldnerKei

Fire Emblem was good, but WTF at having to buy two copies. That is not making me happy. That chick in the purple, though...

It looked just like a Persona x Fire Emblem. ;-)

the trailer making the "hard choice" statement and then they just sold me to the path of Nohr lol

and yeah, that game is pretty much PxFE, totally not what I was expecting, but I'll still be looking forward to it

Wonder TWILT, my bro. :D
the trailer making the "hard choice" statement and then they just sold me to the path of Nohr lol

and yeah, that game is pretty much PxFE, totally not what I was expecting, but I'll still be looking forward to it

Yo for real though I'm gonna give her the S rank #Kreygasm

I saw the blue-haired dude and thought "that looks like SMT!Marth, could it be?" Then I saw the high school shit and thought "nah", then I saw other dudes looking like FE characters and I'm like wait a minute then Iwata came on and said "yep that's SMTxFE"

Like I'm hype and all but one of those chicks looked like Hatsune Miku, and I couldn't tell if that was Eirika or Lucina. :/

Cedric

I think we, as a forum, should put together a short list so everyone can reflect on the most viable options. No one will be forced to vote for any one particular character, but it will help everyone think about what they want to do.

Yea would be a good idea, however I think most people already went ahead with impulse votes. My most wanted characters are in already, so everything else for me is just a bonus. That being said though, I hope people don't go for characters from games that aren't released yet like Splatoon, the inklings' popularity pretty much guarantee them in the next Smash game anyway.

edit: seems you can vote more than once...

Thank you!

Now that got over Lucas' inclusion, I'm really curious as to what balance changes are gonna be coming.
I'm less curious about what the changes are, and more curious about how big the changes are. A few tweaks to a handful of characters, or significant reworks of characters that have proven to be conceptual failures (like Zelda)?

Damn straight. I'm already more about war than peace. It would have been hard if she were in the other side, though!

I just want to have Zelda be able to hold phantom charges. That would completely change her metagame.
There are enough characters with that mechanic. Instead, I'd like for it to be more like a stand character (Jojo's, Persona). Let Zelda use the Phantom, and give it close to zero recovery. Like she has a teammate she gets to attack with. It would completely change her metagame, and it would fit her "setting traps" playstyle extremely well. I might even consider maining her with such a change.

There are enough characters with that mechanic. Instead, I'd like for it to be more like a stand character (Jojo's, Persona). Let Zelda use the Phantom, and give it close to zero recovery. Like she has a teammate she gets to attack with. It would completely change her metagame, and it would fit her "setting traps" playstyle extremely well. I might even consider maining her with such a change.

Seems pretty drastic of a change though. I doubt they'll go that far in a balance patch.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Voted for Masked Man and Hector. There are about two dozen characters I'd want to vote for, but those two seem to make a lot of sense to me.

ffdgh

Loving the mother 3 references.
KuGsj.gif

TZm45AA.png

Man, Lucas came out of absolutely fucking nowhere. I love it. Really happy for Lucas mains and I can't wait to pick him up myself!

Mewtwo looks like his Melee self but in beautiful HD, which is exactly what I expected. <3

I can't wait to see what the balance patch brings. I hope Mega Man, Kirby, Palutena, and Zelda get some buffs and Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, and Rosalina get some much-needed nerfs.

Also, HOLY SHIT AT THE MEGA MAN X COSTUME FOR MII FIGHTERS. The Mega Man love continues at Nintendo and it is SO REAL.

The most exciting part of all this, though, is that it basically confirms that Smash will continue to get DLC throughout the rest of the year and well into 2016. I'd say Wolf is practically a lock at this point, too!

Tipster is gonna love my future Proto Man Mii gunner. ;)

I really hope Mewtwo at least is quick and deals good damage.
He will be floaty and slow, like Rosalina. His teleport is super fast, though. Watch the trailer.

4 euros for a character is absolutely nonsense IMO. Nintendo handled DLC with MK8 way better.
It's very fair. Fighting game characters are extremely expensive to make compared to stages.

Cronox

Banned
I'm less curious about what the changes are, and more curious about how big the changes are. A few tweaks to a handful of characters, or significant reworks of characters that have proven to be conceptual failures (like Zelda)?

Not going to lie, I'm going to be pissed if they don't fix Bowser's reverse up b problem. Even if he could keep up with certain characters in the neutral, which I don't think he can, that up b gets taken advantage of by good players and results in gimps + neutered edge guarding if they make it back to stage first. Really holds the character back.

While I'm thinking of it, I think Bowser's bair is the way to go for Yoshi aerial confrontations. A lot of yoshi's love to space their fairs, and for one reason or another Bowser's fair seems to either get outprioritized or doesn't come out fast enough against Yoshi's air mobility. In a fight against a good Yoshi yesterday I decided that if I was going to have to trade on aerials, I want a trade in my favor - my 18%+ to Yoshi's 12 or 13. And it works.

On the subject of Mii costumes, what do they think the appeal is when you cant use them online? Who out there is clamoring for new costumes to dress their Mii fighters in? Is this really a thing?

RomanceDawn

So happy for Lucas fans! As if Mewtwo was really the only one!

So glad Mewtwo has a real reflector now! Hopefully disable proves useful.

It's very fair. Fighting game characters are extremely expensive to make compared to stages.

I know, but selling a character alone is not really a bargain when you compare with Ultra street fighter 4 which gives you 5 characters plus a lot of new content, it feels a little bit too expensive.

Also disappointed that Mewtwo specials are the same, it was the worst part of him. But is it me or the side b can reflect projectiles ? It wasn't the case in Melee right ?

(Did anyone find some differences in his moves ? )

PLS BUFF IKE

Kind of awkward now that they changed Ness' PSI Magnet to have a hand out front because of the Lucas custom. They put a lot of work into making sure Lucas' moves worked on Ness... and now they didn't really need to bother.

Really does show me this wasn't planned at all. I don't even think Lucas was on the radar when Smash released.

Not going to lie, I'm going to be pissed if they don't fix Bowser's reverse up b problem. Even if he could keep up with certain characters in the neutral, which I don't think he can, that up b gets taken advantage of by good players and results in gimps + neutered edge guarding if they make it back to stage first. Really holds the character back.

While I'm thinking of it, I think Bowser's bair is the way to go for Yoshi aerial confrontations. A lot of yoshi's love to space their fairs, and for one reason or another Bowser's fair seems to either get outprioritized or doesn't come out fast enough against Yoshi's air mobility. In a fight against a good Yoshi yesterday I decided that if I was going to have to trade on aerials, I want a trade in my favor - my 18%+ to Yoshi's 12 or 13. And it works.

On the subject of Mii costumes, what do they think the appeal is when you cant use them online? Who out there is clamoring for new costumes to dress their Mii fighters in? Is this really a thing?
Bowser's fair comes out in 13 frames. It is actually much slower than bair.

Mii Fighter costumes are super cheap to make. They don't have to sell a ton to recuperate costs.

Apparently, Bowser's up B had the same problem in Brawl. I don't remember, but others have said so. If so, it may be a design decision, and not an oversight. Unfortunate, but there isn't much we can do. I've mostly dealt with the issue by:
1) Jumping off the platform backwards when trying to gimp, and just going for less gimps in general.
2) Using side B to reverse my facing during recovery.
3) Recover early and high above the ledge if I am low % but am afraid of a gank. I will get hit, but I will survive.

I know, but selling a character alone is not really a bargain when you compare with Ultra street fighter 4 which gives you 5 characters plus a lot of new content, it feels a little bit too expensive.

Also disappointed that Mewtwo specials are the same, it was the worst part of him. But is it me or the side b can reflect projectiles ? It wasn't the case in Melee right ?

(Did anyone find some differences in his moves ? )

PLS BUFF IKE
Um, 4 out of 5 Ultra Street Fighter IV characters were basically ports from SFxT, and the third is a reskin of an existing character. That's a horrendous comparison. The more adequate comparison would be Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which added 12 new characters for $60, or about $5 per character plus stages and such. BlazBlue charges $8 per character. Mewtwo is competitively priced, and I feel pretty certain that anyone saying it's too high just doesn't have a strong frame of reference.

Mewtwo's specials are fine. They just needed tweaking, not replacing. Shadow Ball is still a strong projectile, Disable now reflects projectiles AND makes them hit the opponent (this is massive - no other character in the game has a reflector AND a projectile kill move), his teleleport is ridiculously fast (someone needs to GIF the moment where he evades Palutena + Zelda and punishes them - we're talking about the startup, recovery, a new jump, and a nair all coming out before Zelda recovers from a fair - that's insane), and Confuse...hey, why not?

His teleport is his defining move. Just look at the trailer and watch how fast the move recovers. This is like...almost Project M teleport recovery. We're talking about being able to teleport next to someone throwing a projectile and grabbing them before they recover. That's massive. What else would you even want him to be? That's an important question I hope you're ready to answer.

No one should think that him being Melee Mewtwo means he will be bad. Melee Mewtwo would be very strong in the Smash 4 roster.

He also looks to get guaranteed combos off of dthrow - even into usmash for KOs.

Mewtwo's specials are fine. They just needed tweaking, not replacing. Shadow Ball is still a strong projectile, Disable now reflects projectiles AND makes them hit the opponent (this is massive - no other character in the game has a reflector AND a projectile kill move), his teleleport is ridiculously fast (someone needs to GIF the moment where he evades Palutena + Zelda and punishes them - we're talking about the startup, recovery, a new jump, and a nair all coming out before Zelda recovers from a fair - that's insane), and Confuse...hey, why not?

His teleport is his defining move. Just look at the trailer and watch how fast the move recovers. This is like...almost Project M teleport recovery. We're talking about being able to teleport next to someone throwing a projectile and grabbing them before they recover. That's massive. What else would you even want him to be? That's an important question I hope you're ready to answer.

No one should think that him being Melee Mewtwo means he will be bad. Melee Mewtwo would be very strong in the Smash 4 roster.

He also looks to get guaranteed combos off of dthrow - even into usmash for KOs.

I want to address the bolded:

1) That was an airdodge, not a Teleport.
2) That d-throw totally did not combo into his up-smash lol. Although, it does look like you can combo off it.

jnWake

Yeah, the fact that Mewtwo is similar to Melee shouldn't mean much. Yoshi isn't that different from his previous incarnations (moves wise) and he's a completely different beast in Sm4sh.

Lucas looks so hype. I loved using him and his obscene USmash in Brawl. He looks pretty damn good too.

Also, as I expected, having a team working on just one character didn't make any sense. I'm expecting Wolf back now. I bet they'll release like 4 characters from here to October before the Smash ballots close. April, June, August and October make sense. Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf and... Snake? Or maybe Popo like one of the fake leaks said.

People need to let Snake go. :-/

I want to address the bolded:

1) That was an airdodge, not a Teleport.
2) That d-throw totally did not combo into his up-smash lol. Although, it does look like you can combo off it.
Oh damn, that does look like an air dodge. Looking at the Megaman Fsmash, the teleport has significantly more windup. That is somewhat disconcerting.

The dthrow totally combod into his usmash. :p At least, I am going to say that until he comes out. ;-)

Agreed about Snake, especially with the current mess going on at Konami right now.

Does anyone want to play? I feel like I've finally decided the customs I like best with my characters. I'm still not understanding why I should use Dashing Assault though...

Not the right place to talk about the SF 4 DLC but I just will say that even if USF 4 characters are coming from SF X tekken, Capcom still needed to rework these characters for the Street 4 gameplay + the new modes + the others contents, I think that 15 dollars is a bargain for this compared to a character sold alone but I disgress.

For Mewtwo, yeah, it's not bad if his moveset is coming from Melee but I still find sad that he has the same specials, remember that he can learn such powerful move like Thunder, Fire Blast or Blizzard and there are plenty more ! Disable feels weak compared to what he can learn.

Snake has no chance to came back. Remember that Kojima is fired from Konami and is the person that really wanted Snake for Smash. Besides, Konami just doesn't care anymore about Nintendo so...

I personally voted for Hades, he is a great vilain (and Smash 4 lacks vilains) and he has a big moveset potentials but it seems that it's not a really popular choice :/

jnWake

People need to let Snake go. :-/

Haha yeah I don't honestly expect him to be back but I guess they'll release returning characters as DLC first because they're probably easier to make... So after Wolf I didn't have many options left (Pichu lol, Roy is already in the game and Popo/Nana are unlikely saldy).

Anyway, this is a good day. Smash will be fresh for a lot of time with new characters and stuff. I hope there are stages included into the mix too though.

WALKMAN04

Serious question here, whenever I just glance into this thread on a normal day all I see you guys doing is playing online with each other, is the online not super laggy for you guys, it's unbearable for me I can't play a single game without extreme lag. I don't have this problem with Mario kart or battlefield so I'm pretty sure my internet connection is suitable for online gaming. I didn't even have this much lag on the 3ds version. Is the lag not present for you guys? Does the fighting with friends option help the connection? I really don't get it the game is unplayable for me and I never see any of you complain about it.

MY BOY LUCAS IS BACK!
BEST NEWS EVER!
THANK YOU BASED SAKURAI!
&#12541;(&#65307;&#9661;&#65307;)&#12494;&#12541;(&#65307;&#9661;&#65307;)&#12494;&#12541;(&#65307;&#9661;&#65307;)&#12494;

We did it, man. We never gave up hope for our boy, and the end result is so beautiful. ;_________:

Just look at how happy he is; he's actually smiling!!

Top Bottom