• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Puruzi

Banned
I barely ever lag and I'm on wireless. If you always lag it's almost assuredly on your end, because the chances that everyone you've ever played against has shitty internet is pretty low.

I'm stuck between the Chorus Kids and Shovel Knight for my ballot vote.

They're my two most-wanted newcomers by far, but I feel like even though Shovel Knight is going to get a lot more votes than the Chorus Kids, he ironically has far less of a chance simply because he's a third-party character... not to mention the "iconic blue third-party character" quota is already more than filled by Mega Man and Sonic. Shovel Knight doesn't exactly bring anything exceptionally new to the table, and we know from what Sakurai has said that a third-party character has to be particularly special and fill an obvious gap in the roster to even be considered.

So... I guess I'm leaning more toward voting for the Chorus Kids. Hmm.

It doesn't matter anyway, because Ridley is obviously going to get the most votes. :(

Nabster92

Serious question here, whenever I just glance into this thread on a normal day all I see you guys doing is playing online with each other, is the online not super laggy for you guys, it's unbearable for me I can't play a single game without extreme lag. I don't have this problem with Mario kart or battlefield so I'm pretty sure my internet connection is suitable for online gaming. I didn't even have this much lag on the 3ds version. Is the lag not present for you guys? Does the fighting with friends option help the connection? I really don't get it the game is unplayable for me and I never see any of you complain about it.

Do you have an ethernet adapter for your Wii U? That definitely should make a difference. There's still potential for things to be bad with random other people that don't have an adapter or just have bad internet themselves, but for the most part games should be fine as long as you have it.

WALKMAN04

I barely ever lag and I'm on wireless. If you always lag it's almost assuredly on your end, because the chances that everyone you've ever played against has shitty internet is pretty low.
Really damn I always thought it was the game, I might try moving my wii u to another room I was always skeptical that this was the problem because Mario kart never had problems, but maybe it is thanks at least I have some hope

WALKMAN04

Do you have an ethernet adapter for your Wii U? That definitely should make a difference. There's still potential for things to be bad with random other people that don't have an adapter or just have bad internet themselves, but for the most part games should be fine as long as you have it.
No I connect wirelessly, I believe the problem might just be my room, it is kind of known for being a dead zone at times but didn't think it was the problem since my set up is close to the door and I didn't have problems with other games on wii u
Edit: sorry for the double post didn't realize

Boney

Banned
Really damn I always thought it was the game, I might try moving my wii u to another room I was always skeptical that this was the problem because Mario kart never had problems, but maybe it is thanks at least I have some hope
Racing games (and FPS) and fighting games are very different from one another. Mario kart is gonna masquerade the lag because you feel you're not lagging, however other players will get bad connection and see you lag all over the place

Nabster92

No I connect wirelessly, I believe the problem might just be my room, it is kind of known for being a dead zone at times but didn't think it was the problem since my set up is close to the door and I didn't have problems with other games on wii u
Edit: sorry for the double post didn't realize

It's also entirely possible MK8 actually does lag a bit for you as well, but it's less noticeable because lagging there can be masked more by not affecting your framerate in the race itself and just desyncing with your opponents a bit so it may be harder to hit them with a green shell or something even though things still run smoothly on your end.

WALKMAN04

Racing games (and FPS) and fighting games are very different from one another. Mario kart is gonna masquerade the lag because you feel you're not lagging, however other players will get bad connection and see you lag all over the place
Yeah I know I guess I just didn't realize,probably should have mentioned that I play battlefield in another room so I'm gonna try moving my wii u to that room and seeing if it works, after brawl I just thought they messed up again as the lag is on brawl level lol

Not the right place to talk about the SF 4 DLC but I just will say that even if USF 4 characters are coming from SF X tekken, Capcom still needed to rework these characters for the Street 4 gameplay + the new modes + the others contents, I think that 15 dollars is a bargain for this compared to a character sold alone but I disgress.

For Mewtwo, yeah, it's not bad if his moveset is coming from Melee but I still find sad that he has the same specials, remember that he can learn such powerful move like Thunder, Fire Blast or Blizzard and there are plenty more ! Disable feels weak compared to what he can learn.

Snake has no chance to came back. Remember that Kojima is fired from Konami and is the person that really wanted Snake for Smash. Besides, Konami just doesn't care anymore about Nintendo so...

I personally voted for Hades, he is a great vilain (and Smash 4 lacks vilains) and he has a big moveset potentials but it seems that it's not a really popular choice :/
The point is that the SFxT characters costed almost nothing to port over. It's all about finances. SFxT characters were easy to develop and adapt compared to fresh characters, so we got them cheap. It is like comparing MvC2's roster number to MvC3 - it's just not fair when MvC2 is a bunch of copy-pasted sprites from other games.

Agreed that we are lacking in villains. If we got Hades, Demise, Ridley, and Wolf, the roster would be perfect in my eyes.

Haha yeah I don't honestly expect him to be back but I guess they'll release returning characters as DLC first because they're probably easier to make... So after Wolf I didn't have many options left (Pichu lol, Roy is already in the game and Popo/Nana are unlikely saldy).

Anyway, this is a good day. Smash will be fresh for a lot of time with new characters and stuff. I hope there are stages included into the mix too though.
Yes! A good day! DLC through 2016 is incredible.

They're my two most-wanted newcomers by far, but I feel like even though Shovel Knight is going to get a lot more votes than the Chorus Kids, he ironically has far less of a chance simply because he's a third-party character... not to mention the "iconic blue third-party character" quota is already more than filled by Mega Man and Sonic. Shovel Knight doesn't exactly bring anything exceptionally new to the table, and we know from what Sakurai has said that a third-party character has to be particularly special and fill an obvious gap in the roster to even be considered.

It doesn't matter anyway, because Ridley is obviously going to get the most votes. :(
Where is my Game Xplain of Mewtwo?

Wireless SUUUUUUUUCKS. You can't expect a good experience unless you are wired. Mario Kart desyncs during lag, which isn't possible in a fighting game.

jnWake

Voted for K. Rool in the ballots. Was torn between that and Dixie but I can see Dixie being in Sakurai's mind already so...

Ah, I hope we get more trailers in E3. Smash trailers are always so hype.

Mewtwo's specials are fine. They just needed tweaking, not replacing. Shadow Ball is still a strong projectile, Disable now reflects projectiles AND makes them hit the opponent (this is massive - no other character in the game has a reflector AND a projectile kill move), his teleleport is ridiculously fast (someone needs to GIF the moment where he evades Palutena + Zelda and punishes them - we're talking about the startup, recovery, a new jump, and a nair all coming out before Zelda recovers from a fair - that's insane), and Confuse...hey, why not?

Confusion (his sideB) now makes the projectiles hit people, yes, but it doesn't make it hit them. I think you're bring confused by Mewtwo's animation for his battering item attack, if you saw the beam sword part of the trailer. Disable (downB) still looks like it does the same thing as Melee.

Ryce

Nitpick: did Sakurai/the art team forget to give Ness blushed cheeks? Lucas has them, and it's kind of jarringly inconsistent when they're interacting with each other in the trailer.

Masked Man

I said wow
I love that Lucas' down throw now buries the opponent. Nice touch! :D

We did it, man. We never gave up hope for our boy, and the end result is so beautiful. ;_________:

Just look at how happy he is; he's actually smiling!!

I KNOW! I thought of you as soon as the Love Theme started playing. So happy to have our boy back. It's so great to see him and Ness fighting together again!

Well, we are about 90% sure that the Chorus Kids were in development at some point, so theoretically they already have some sort of moveset worked out. In that sense, it would be a more "realistic" vote. ;) I would imagine that they're going to be putting out characters that require the fewest labor hours, so I think Wolf is just about a given at this point.

I'm voting once in JP and once in EN. I'll be submitting one vote for my beloved Chorus Kids, and the other for the most adorable adventurer ever: Captain Toad!

WALKMAN04

Thanks for those that helped with the lag issues, I moved my wii U to another room and it worked much better some lag on some matches but it was definitely bearable, and I may try the Ethernet thing too I know I got one around here just gotta find it, glad I got this fixed so I can have some more fun with the game and especially since I now know I won't be playing splatoon in that room

Ryce

I'm voting once in JP and once in EN. I'll be submitting one vote for my beloved Chorus Kids, and the other for the most adorable adventurer ever: Captain Toad!
Vote for the Chorus Kids in Japanese. Sakurai is probably more likely to read those submissions himself. #teamchoruskids

Neoxon

But the effort to get Ridley in will fall short given the reason why Ridley wasn't added in the first place. Plus the Chorus Kids were previously worked on.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can't process all of this. It's too overwhelming.

Yeah, That's how I felt when I had to intake all information from Smash trailer.

Agreed about Snake, especially with the current mess going on at Konami right now.

Agreed. I think people need to stop voting for third party characters because I don't think they would have time to deal with all processes that they had to get third-party characters.

Snake, Bayoneta, etc. Also people, for love of master hand, STOP VOTING for filler characters (Waluigi, Daisy, Roy) because all votes for third-party characters and filler characters are more likely to be waste of votes.

Vote for the Chorus Kids in Japanese. Sakurai is probably more likely to read those submissions himself. #teamchoruskids

Yeah, I would love to vote for Chorus Kids but I'm still not sure since I want to let Sakurai know that people still want Isaac so he might have better chance to be in Smash 5.

I still have a feeling that they probably finalized DLC characters list but they probably use the datas from ballots for Nex Gen Smash.

Hatchtag

Banned
But the effort to get Ridley in will fall short given the reason why Ridley wasn't added in the first place. Plus the Chorus Kids were previously worked on.

The old reasoning was stupid and the new reasoning is even dumber. The new reasoning, which, iirc, boiled down to "he would no longer be menacing" may have been true in Melee or Brawl. But play Bowser or Ganondorf in Smash 4. They're slow, but they still have a menacing presence because they need to connect a much smaller amount of attacks to kill than most other characters. They pull off being menacing, arguably more so than in any other Smash game. I just don't think it's a very good excuse.
Plus having the only Ridley in Smash 4 be clone Ridley means regular Ridley can be present without screwing things up too much.

I KNOW! I thought of you as soon as the Love Theme started playing. So happy to have our boy back. It's so great to see him and Ness fighting together again!

the moment that love theme started playing my heart stopped

ommggggggGGGHGGGGGGG

Nitpick: did Sakurai/the art team forget to give Ness blushed cheeks? Lucas has them, and it's kind of jarringly inconsistent when they're interacting with each other in the trailer.

I'm convinced Sakurai and the team based Ness off those figures that've come out in Japan over the past several years, which don't have blushed cheeks.

It is weird Lucas has them, ya, but not so much as him actually smiling!

Buff Rosalina, guys!

$4 for a new character seems reasonable to me, I was afraid it'd be more.

Who? Who? Ridley probably not and Wolf very likely.
Dude, if you don't know who Hades is, you haven't played Kid Icarus: Uprising. And that is on you.

Demise is the demon that becomes reincarnated as Rekindled every game. Final boss of Skyward Sword.

I know they aren't likely. But they are what I want.

Confusion (his sideB) now makes the projectiles hit people, yes, but it doesn't make it hit them. I think you're bring confused by Mewtwo's animation for his battering item attack, if you saw the beam sword part of the trailer. Disable (downB) still looks like it does the same thing as Melee.
I don't follow the distinction you made there in the first sentence. Help me out?

Disable seemed to have better range.

Boney

Banned
There are too many great stage candidates from that game. Thunder Tower would be great, but I would also love to see Saturn Valley or Tanetane Island!
Tanetane would be waaaaay to uncomfortable. Somebody in the Lucas thread recommended sunflower fields, thad be great too.
$4 for a new character seems reasonable to me, I was afraid it'd be more.

Who? Who? Ridley probably not and Wolf very likely.

Kid izaría up rising and skyward sword baddies.

Is it too late to sign up for the doubles "tourney?" I went ahead and ordered an ethernet adapter so I won't have to worry about the possibility of making things worse for other players. It'd also be nice if it prevents me from throwing out a jab when I'm trying to do a smash attack. Anyway, if anyone is looking for a partner, I'm down. If not, I'll just throw my name in and get paired up with someone at random.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Posted by Spainkiller

Fuck it, I'm just gonna put it out there:

(And I'm not saying this to troll fans or keep the hype up or whatever.)

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.

Sooo, we just had Lucas announcement....

Masked Man

I said wow
Submission complete!

Character you're voting for: Captain Toad
Title of game the character appears in: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Why should this character become a fighter?: Toad established himself as a capable adventurer long ago in Super Mario Bros. 2, but he has rarely enjoyed the same limelight as Mario, Peach, and Luigi. Now, however, my favorite fungus has shown even more potential in his latest outing as a treasure hunter, and it's time to let him shine! I would love to see him rolling around in a minecart, lobbing gems and turnips, swinging his pickaxe, and smashing his way to victory. Captain Toad is ready for adventure—and a good fight!

Tanetane would be waaaaay to uncomfortable. Somebody in the Lucas thread recommended sunflower fields, thad be great too.

Uncomfortable? Yes. But awesome? Yes! ;)

I would love Sunflower Fields, though! I just hope I'll be able to keep myself from crying every time I play...

With eight player Smash, it's New Pork City's time to shine!

Yeah, given that the team is probably trying to do as much as they can while expending as few labor hours as possible, I suspect NPC is the most likely candidate if we do end up getting a Mother 3 stage.

Thank goodness for Omega stages if New Pork City actually does return. Barf.
I don't follow the distinction you made there in the first sentence. Help me out?

I dunno, I was confused by your sentence wording because you made it seem like Confusion made the item it reflected auto-whack people.

Is it too late to sign up for the doubles "tourney?" I went ahead and ordered an ethernet adapter so I won't have to worry about the possibility of making things worse for other players. It'd also be nice if it prevents me from throwing out a jab when I'm trying to do a smash attack. Anyway, if anyone is looking for a partner, I'm down. If not, I'll just throw my name in and get paired up with someone at random.
Sure, form is here by quoting the post!
Posted by Spainkiller

Sooo, we just had Lucas announcement....
Is he banned? Don't feel like checking, the whole thing was suspect anyhow. :/
Hey guys! My buddy's over again and we're looking to 2v2 if anyone is interested?

We'd need two people of course!

I'll be his first opponent, anyone else?

lVDBJzM.png
Did my part, how about you guys?

Heading to bed. I need to get the rest of my ranbats in this weekend. Twilt, Ammo, and Cronoc, will you be available?

Thank goodness for Omega stages if New Pork City actually does return. Barf.

I dunno, I was confused by your sentence wording because you made it seem like Confusion made the item it reflected auto-whack people.
Oh, I just meant that reflected projectiles wouldn't hit the opponent in Melee, but they do now, which is a huge change for him.

DooD1234

I'm going to throw my vote for Kid Icarus Uprising Hades tomorrow. We could use more villains and he is a villain I would love to see. Only Bowser could match his humor.

Hopefully Martha gets some buffs so her sword normals actually have hitboxes... I feel like I'm hitting thin air sometimes. Palutena's buffs = give her customs as default, make her f-air hitbox align with the model, make her spike not suck, and slightly less lag on all her smashes because they suck..

Cronox

Banned
Buff Rosalina, guys!

Dude, if you don't know who Hades is, you haven't played Kid Icarus: Uprising. And that is on you.

Demise is the demon that becomes reincarnated as Rekindled every game. Final boss of Skyward Sword.

I know they aren't likely. But they are what I want.

No 3DS for Kid Icarus. With 0 experience playing Skyward Sword, Demise just looks like a muscley, shirtless Ganondorf. Based on his artwork, I think Hades might be cool to play as though.

On the gaming side there's a lot of support for Wonder Red, who could be cool. I wonder if they could add in a new playstyle of character by making Red collect people around the stage to make his attacks bigger, but if hit they go flying and he goes back to default power... would make him a real glass cannon type of character like Smash doesn't have at the moment.

Edit: also, I don't think we're missing much by not having the ice climbers. Given that their moveset wouldn't be reimagined, without their melee-specific tricks they're garbage competitively IMO.

Edit: also, I don't think we're missing much by not having the ice climbers. Given that their moveset wouldn't be reimagined, without their melee-specific tricks they're garbage competitively IMO.

Uh, if by that you mean their dual character shenanigans then probably, but we ARE talking about Ice "S tier in Brawl" Climbers right?

Cronox

Banned
Uh, if by that you mean their dual character shenanigans then probably, but we ARE talking about Ice "S tier in Brawl" Climbers right?

No chain grabs in this game though. And given the technical issues with the 3DS version they would probably disallow desyncs as a workaround if they added them as a duo. And one ice climber by itself...? I don't see it. Oh who knows, I'm talking out my ass really.

No chain grabs in this game though. And given the technical issues with the 3DS version they would probably disallow desyncs as a workaround if they added them. Oh who knows, I'm talking out my ass really.

Well just saying because you said "melee specific". In the hypothetical case they were in the game and worked the same as they always have, I'm sure they could probably have some pseudo chain grab shenanigans but that's just speculation. As long as they're a dual character I think they'd have potential.

Edit: Oh yeah, and still looking for someone to play.

Top Bottom