• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

How do you beat Donkey Kong's down b? Can't believe this move would be so much trouble, but it covers every option. You can't shield it or else your shield breaks, you can't roll because it will hit you the second the roll ends, you can't jump in because it recovers fast enough for Donkey Kong to up tilt. It seems to shut down every single approach as well as lets Donkey Kong walk up to you for free.

Boney

Banned
Yeah I'm still up for some games, add me!
Alright, adding you now :)

How do you beat Donkey Kong's down b? Can't believe this move would be so much trouble, but it covers every option. You can't shield it or else your shield breaks, you can't roll because it will hit you the second the roll ends, you can't jump in because it recovers fast enough for Donkey Kong to up tilt. It seems to shut down every single approach as well as lets Donkey Kong walk up to you for free.
If you have projectiles those are always gonna come Connect if you don't or you're in need of something more meaty, then you. Need to get the aerial really fast, before he can cancel it. This means in the first or second pound no more, meaning you have to anticipate it.
If you take too long, you should just hold back, you're not punishing it and you should let him end it safely. It's a fantastic control tool and yu don't want to get caught by the edge with it.

If you have projectiles those are always gonna come Connect if you don't or you're in need of something more meaty, then you. Need to get the aerial really fast, before he can cancel it. This means in the first or second pound no more, meaning you have to anticipate it.
If you take too long, you should just hold back, you're not punishing it and you should let him end it safely. It's a fantastic control tool and yu don't want to get caught by the edge with it.

It makes it seem like something that can be punished, but it isn't at all. It really destroys characters who rely on a ground approach and don't have aerials with strong knockback and keeps zoning characters from getting their footing. If Little Mac didn't have his side B or counter then this move alone would completely negate him. Stronkey Kong.

Boney

Banned
Lylat cruise recovery op
edit: halberd too
Stupid diagonal aether lol

Stupid lylat hehehe, can't believe you survived when you hit your second jump underneath

That game was pretty close! Managed to close it with the spike thankfully!

Try to have your ranbat matches done by Sunday. If not, you still have the one-week grace period. After the grace period, I will remove any players with unfinished matches from future participation via a ban. We will wait one week for sign-ups for Season 3 before beginning it, as well.

I plan on playing my 3 remaining matches this weekend. Bloodborne took my entire last week. :-O

I don't plan on redoing the polling questions. Customs are in vogue, and the stage bans were pretty one-sided. Does anyone have a polling question they want added to the next season of sign-ups? I plan on changing the rules for stage selection slightly.

I don't plan on redoing the polling questions. Customs are in vogue, and the stage bans were pretty one-sided. Does anyone have a polling question they want added to the next season of sign-ups? I plan on changing the rules for stage selection slightly.

Mewtwo is gonna be out by then. Are we gonna allow Mewtwo even though not everyone will be able to play as him (the only choice is yes)?

Also I request items on medium and damage ratio set to 1.5, and ban Ness and Rosalina. #Kappa

edit: also make Pac-Land a legal pick and ban lylat cruise unless both players agree to it

edit 2: /s

Mewtwo is gonna be out by then. Are we gonna allow Mewtwo even though not everyone will be able to play as him (the only choice is yes)?

Also I request items on medium and damage ratio set to 1.5, and ban Ness and Rosalina. #Kappa

edit: also make Pac-Land a legal pick and ban lylat cruise unless both players agree to it

edit 2: /s
That's a lot of /s!

Mewtwo is ok. Others playing as him doesn't harm your ability to face them. This game doesn't have a meaningful training mode, anyway. If you want Mewtwo practice, go find someone who plays Mewtwo and get your practice in. For Glory will be flooding with him.

Just idling on Anther's and he should be there often enough? Alright, thanks.
Do you want me to PM you his e-mail?

That's a lot of /s!

Mewtwo is ok. Others playing as him doesn't harm your ability to face them. This game doesn't have a meaningful training mode, anyway. If you want Mewtwo practice, go find someone who plays Mewtwo and get your practice in. For Glory will be flooding with him.

Sounds good, I was worried you'd be really weird about the whole thing. '~' Can't wait to see a season full of Mewtwo dittos.

Also, Flux is already playing Shammles using Anther's, it would seem.

Cronox

Banned
Zex is from NorCal but currently residing in SoCal so he's not the best "in" NorCal. According to our PR, X is, but he didn't place as good as he normally does.

Back in March Zex was put at 0 on the Norcal power rankings. I know he doesn't live in Norcal but when he comes here he wrecks house. I hadn't paid attention to the PR in the last month, I didn't know Sean had fallen so far. Back in March it seemed like it was always Sean vs Zex in grand finals at the Foundry or at the one in Redwood City (IIRC?), but I haven't been paying attention to tourneys since.

At this point it's almost safe to say Zero is one of the gods of smash 4.

I'd say his position is closer to Ken's back in the early Melee days. There are no other gods - Zero is the king of Smash 4. His closest competitors at best take a single game off him in best out of 5's.

Puruzi

Banned
Knowing that Lucas is coming back and not being able to play him yet is suffering. Like I am in literal pain waiting for him. help

Boney

Banned
Fun games dude, not sure why you said you sucked at the beggining you're pretty good!
Damn rosa is a pain in the ass to play and you were using her well, not flux or nabster level but don't feel bad, tbose guys are monsters.
You need to pressure more and control the neutral with hitboxes. Abuse that damn luma so I can't get to you so easily. You might be jabbing a bit too much, and I got to punish a lot of those. You just need to learn how to properly space so the up smashes and fsmashes are barely hitting me and I can't reach you at all.

You did good with the foxtrots, but I didn't see you use many pivot moves. Also with rosa you need to be edgeguarding deep. You'll come back so you need to get in there
Also, I'm pretty upset I have to wait to extra weeks for Mewtwo, I already gotta pay for him why should I wait!

Neki

GGs Boney, still gotta work on my Rosalina. That Charizard custom side b is super annoying lol. Do you have any tip for me to help improve my game? :p

edit: Thanks for the tips, yeah, it's hard. I'm too used to Link's jab which eats rolls, I wish Rosalisa's jab was that good. :( I still have trouble killing people to, hard to connect with her heavy hitting movies sometimes.

Boney

Banned
GGs Boney, still gotta work on my Rosalina. That Charizard custom side b is super annoying lol. Do you have any tip for me to help improve my game? :p

edit: Thanks for the tips, yeah, it's hard. I'm too used to Link's jab which eats rolls, I wish Rosalisa's jab was that good. :( I still have trouble killing people to, hard to connect with her heavy hitting movies sometimes.
You're a bit too reliant on down smash. That should be used to catch rolls, but you need to learn how to use the other two.
Also, up air man, with up air you'll get lots of ko's you need to shark better.

But you did good man, fun fights, we played a lot!

Back in March Zex was put at 0 on the Norcal power rankings. I know he doesn't live in Norcal but when he comes here he wrecks house. I hadn't paid attention to the PR in the last month, I didn't know Sean had fallen so far. Back in March it seemed like it was always Sean vs Zex in grand finals at the Foundry or at the one in Redwood City (IIRC?), but I haven't been paying attention to tourneys since.

I'd say his position is closer to Ken's back in the early Melee days. There are no other gods - Zero is the king of Smash 4. His closest competitors at best take a single game off him in best out of 5's.

It makes you wonder just what lets Zero do so well in this game. I mean, he's not even just a good Sm4sh player (and that's an understatement); he's a top Fox in Melee, dominates Brawl as well, and is one of the best in PM. He's got powerful fundamentals that let him go far in any Smash game, and he's shown to memorize info like kill percents for his attacks and such. He's the Diddy to end all Diddy players, and pretty much nobody has been able to stop him. The only one who's come close to dethroning him is Dabuz, and he's still a clear second place if anything.

I'm really curious to see how much the upcoming balance patch affects Diddy, and whether any potential nerfs he receives will impact how ZeRo plays the game. Could any nerfs be severe enough to make him switch mains entirely?
Hmm. Have I done something to make you expect that I would set an odd rule like that?

Oh no, I just had the misfortune of dealing with some TOs who made unusual decisions recently (1111 gunner is ass, let me tell you.)

Neki

You're a bit too reliant on down smash. That should be used to catch rolls, but you need to learn how to use the other two.
Also, up air man, with up air you'll get lots of ko's you need to shark better.

But you did good man, fun fights, we played a lot!

Yeah I still have problem getting up airs because most people just spam air dodge when I come up, I still have to get use to hovering below them so I can get out two, but that's just something I need to work on. I'm awful at spot dodging too, I never really feel like there is a good time to use it. I've been practicing my pivot smashes and grabs but I haven't gotten comfortable enough to use them in real games, so that's something that's still a work in progress! :p

But it was fun, I'm only really competent at two characters in this game though lol :p

It makes you wonder just what lets Zero do so well in this game. I mean, he's not even just a good Sm4sh player (and that's an understatement); he's a top Fox in Melee, dominates Brawl as well, and is one of the best in PM. He's got powerful fundamentals that let him go far in any Smash game, and he's shown to memorize info like kill percents for his attacks and such. He's the Diddy to end all Diddy players, and pretty much nobody has been able to stop him. The only one who's come close to dethroning him is Dabuz, and he's still a clear second place if anything.

I'm really curious to see how much the upcoming balance patch affects Diddy, and whether any potential nerfs he receives will impact how ZeRo plays the game. Could any nerfs be severe enough to make him switch mains entirely?

Oh no, I just had the misfortune of dealing with some TOs who made unusual decisions recently (1111 gunner is ass, let me tell you.)
I only make good decisions. ;-)

If there is ever a doubt in my mind regarding the best decision to make, I tend to lend on the liberal side of things (i.e. allowing it to occur), or I put it to a community vote, since the people playing in the ranbats should be the ones making decisions about the event they are participating in. My own local Smash community is still SO skeptical about customs. When I brought up Evo to them, one even said "We'll just have to adapt on the fly - that's what fighting games are about". I wanted to pop his head off, since he clearly wasn't using it. I got everyone to use them yesterday, and I received a lot of complaints about Dash Slash. >_>

Boney

Banned

Zero and I have the same Chilean blood coursing down our veins. I can win I can win yes yes yes!

I only make good decisions. ;-)

If there is ever a doubt in my mind regarding the best decision to make, I tend to lend on the liberal side of things (i.e. allowing it to occur), or I put it to a community vote, since the people playing in the ranbats should be the ones making decisions about the event they are participating in. My own local Smash community is still SO skeptical about customs. When I brought up Evo to them, one even said "We'll just have to adapt on the fly - that's what fighting games are about". I wanted to pop his head off, since he clearly wasn't using it. I got everyone to use them yesterday, and I received a lot of complaints about Dash Slash. >_>

I have stuck to playing PM locally since they aren't too receptive to Sm4sh after the whole "PM getting dropped by everything" shitstorm, and the things I hear make me wonder how such bad impressions were made. Stuff like Diddy being worse than MK in Brawl, custom moves as bad as equipment, and how Mii Fighters were "worthless" like Mr. Wizard was saying before. >:T Thankfully some of the players there were stepping up to correct them, but I still wanted to say some choice words to them.

To top it off, the tournament I want to play at says no customs, so I have to make sure I know default Mario, Fox, and Falco inside and out and I've been ignoring custom moves lately. :'(

FluxWaveZ

Lost to Shamrock 3-5. Man, those were some close matches.

Ah, yeah, I got in touch with him easily. I only got a single point in my bracket though; I messed around too much in some matches, just wasn't good enough in others. What happens when there's more than one person who has the minimum number of points in their bracket?

Zero and I have the same Chilean blood coursing down our veins. I can win I can win yes yes yes!
Wait wait, you just mean you're both from Chile right? :O
Wow. Unreal. My GOSH.

I'm going to wait patiently for Falco buffs, and if he doesn't get them I will shave my head and only play top tiers.

You and me both, brother. Let us pray for shortened endlag on lasers and a jab that reliably hits (there's no reason that jab3 isn't a guaranteed hit.)

I have stuck to playing PM locally since they aren't too receptive to Sm4sh after the whole "PM getting dropped by everything" shitstorm, and the things I hear make me wonder how such bad impressions were made. Stuff like Diddy being worse than MK in Brawl, custom moves as bad as equipment, and how Mii Fighters were "worthless" like Mr. Wizard was saying before. >:T Thankfully some of the players there were stepping up to correct them, but I still wanted to say some choice words to them.

To top it off, the tournament I want to play at says no customs, so I have to make sure I know default Mario, Fox, and Falco inside and out and I've been ignoring custom moves lately. :'(
I feel all this pain!

Lost to Shamrock 3-5. Man, those were some close matches.

Ah, yeah, I got in touch with him easily. I only got a single point in my bracket though; I messed around too much in some matches, just wasn't good enough in others. What happens when there's more than one person who has the minimum number of points in their bracket?
The tiebreaker is who won between you and the person you share the lowest score with. So if you and Shamrock both had 1 point only (just an example), but Shamrock just beat you, you would move down to Bracket 2.

You and me both, brother. Let us pray for shortened endlag on lasers and a jab that reliably hits (there's no reason that jab3 isn't a guaranteed hit.)

His changes are all so completely devastating to his playstyle that I can't even imagine what they were thinking. Hopefully him being bottom tier in Japanese tier lists will lead to something, but probably can't hope for too much in the way of buffs with the update.

I feel all this pain!

The tiebreaker is who won between you and the person you share the lowest score with. So if you and Shamrock both had 1 point only (just an example), but Shamrock just beat you, you would move down to Bracket 2.
Luckily I'm a fighting game hermit so I never have to deal with these problems... I need to find a local scene..

FluxWaveZ

Alright, cool. Well, either way I'm getting demoted, so it'll be fun to try to climb back up.

His changes are all so completely devastating to his playstyle that I can't even imagine what they were thinking. Hopefully him being bottom tier in Japanese tier lists will lead to something, but probably can't hope for too much in the way of buffs with the update.
Do you have a link to the latest tier list, by chance? Sakurai tends to go by what JP players think.

Alright, cool. Well, either way I'm getting demoted, so it'll be fun to try to climb back up.
Great. My bracket loses a Megaman player, and gains a Sonic one. :p

I have a lot more tricks up my sleeve against Sonic now, though. >:-D

Quote the text here to sign up for Season 3. I will let sign-ups go for the next two weeks.

Players that were banned during Season 1 may return for this season. However, getting banned this season will result in a permanent ban from play (burn me once, etc.).

A new stage selection rule will be coming. I will write it up in the next week or two. Instead of polls, I added a comment/suggestion box for anyone who wants to throw a thought out there.

Bracket 1 was a blood bath! Having played everyone in that bracket before, it's neat to see how the results compared to what I thought. It's cool to see how the character match ups play into it.

It's a shame we don't always get the details of all the matches though!

I'm eagerly awaiting the results in my own Bracket 2.

Top Bottom