• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Cronox

Banned
The best way to avoid the 150% kill is realizing that Bowser Bomb can punish in 99% of the cases Klaw can, and just learning to switch over to it. It is more high risk, but that just means you need greater certainty. ;)

I should record more matches. I saved a few of ours tonight. I guess I feel like I am not that good at the game, so I shouldn't waste people's time. Then again, only one other Bowser player has impressed me on YouTube.

From spending a little time in training I can already see that dash slash goes with Bowser bomb well - it's easy to do a reverse bomb after doing an aerial DS, a diagonal input works. While standing or running, you have to be much more exact, a diagonal input will do a DS rather than bomb. I also figured out the timing for a safe DS onto stage from the ledge. Yeah, even in FG I catch myself doing klaw when I could have used bomb to punish harder. Then again, I whiff a lot of klaws... but bombing from a DS approach is much more certain, the opponent is already on the defensive and less likely to move out of shield.

As for videos, I mean, Calmanimal has his moments, but there's not much else. Every once in a while an ok Bowser player gets on stream at a random tournament just through luck of the draw, that's pretty much what we've got right now. Anyone playing competently would be welcome, the bar is pretty low. If my phone wasn't complete shit I'd be uploading a number of replays right now myself.

Edit: more time training - DS to dtilt has more range than DS to ftilt or jab, Bowser keeps his forward momentum slightly as dtilt starts. Wish you could DS past someone and do a pivot grab, there's no way to do that instantly it seems.
Edit edit: I've been trying to get as close to the ground with my DS'es as possible (I figure unless I'm trying to go over someone, the lower the better for getting out an attack), sometimes Bowser cancels the DS entirely as he hits the ground but still slides a little over a Bowser-size length. Can't do it consistently though.

I hope the upcoming patch fixes custom characters reverting back to default colors, that is such a pain. Half our matches were default vs default color Bowser because of that.

Boney

Banned
From spending a little time in training I can already see that dash slash goes with Bowser bomb well - it's easy to do a reverse bomb after doing an aerial DS, a diagonal input works. While standing or running, you have to be much more exact, a diagonal input will do a DS rather than bomb. I also figured out the timing for a safe DS onto stage from the ledge. Yeah, even in FG I catch myself doing klaw when I could have used bomb to punish harder. Then again, I whiff a lot of klaws... but bombing from a DS approach is much more certain, the opponent is already on the defensive and less likely to move out of shield.

As for videos, I mean, Calmanimal has his moments, but there's not much else. Every once in a while an ok Bowser player gets on stream at a random tournament just through luck of the draw, that's pretty much what we've got right now. Anyone playing competently would be welcome, the bar is pretty low. If my phone wasn't complete shit I'd be uploading a number of replays right now myself.

Edit: more time training - DS to dtilt has more range than DS to ftilt or jab, Bowser keeps his forward momentum slightly as dtilt starts. Wish you could DS past someone and do a pivot grab, there's no way to do that instantly it seems.
Edit edit: I've been trying to get as close to the ground with my DS'es as possible (I figure unless I'm trying to go over someone, the lower the better for getting out an attack), sometimes Bowser cancels the DS entirely as he hits the ground but still slides a little over a Bowser-size length. Can't do it consistently though.

I hope the upcoming patch fixes custom characters reverting back to default colors, that is such a pain. Half our matches were default vs default color Bowser because of that.
It reverts to the color you have assigned to it. You can set it up so you keep your fav color all the time, it's done on the custom screen

Cronoc, when doing a reverse Bowser Bomb, I have learned that pushing the proper diagonal is actually really difficult. Instead of hitting the diagonal, the Bowser boards recommended making a QCB motion, but you push B at the start. So hit down B, and then roll the stick back. This works 100% of the time, and it is easier than finding the diagonal down sweet spot.

Ohhh, so that is why you kept picking default color. I was mildly annoyed with you for that.

I'd vote for 2 where you can't vote for a stage you just won on. Banning a pick for the whole set seems a bit cumbersome in first to 5 sets IMO. How does banning work on Omega stages by the way?
All Omega stages are considered the same stage.

Cronoc, you warmed up yet?

Some of you guys and your comments in the sign-up...

One thing Twilt brought up is the stage selection process. Letting the game pick has led to some unfortunate situations in matchups. I would like to solve this. There are two options that come to mind:

1) We do a stage selection process on GAF for every match. I am not a fan of this because it is cumbersome. If it is popular, I will implement it.

2) We ban the re-use of a stage you have won on in some fashion. Your opponent can still pick it, but not you. This could be a ban on a stage until the end of the set, or until you lose, or...there are a lot of options.

Do folks have a preference for 1 or 2? Or a third option? The only thing I am strongly opposed to is implementing some kind of mandatory chat room. I started the ranbats to build community and discussion on GAF, and I would rather this place not be overshadowed by another system.

Quote the text here to sign up for Season 3. I will let sign-ups go for the next two weeks.

Players that were banned during Season 1 may return for this season. However, getting banned this season will result in a permanent ban from play (burn me once, etc.).

A new stage selection rule will be coming. I will write it up in the next week or two. Instead of polls, I added a comment/suggestion box for anyone who wants to throw a thought out there.
Requoting for efficiency.

TWILT

Banned
I think option 2's prolly the best choice. I actually wouldn't mind posting/editing my post in the thread everytime I want to counterpick to another stage, but I understand that it can get a tad messy if we're posting 3-5 posts every FT5 match.

JulianImp

It reverts to the color you have assigned to it. You can set it up so you keep your fav color all the time, it's done on the custom screen

I'm still wondering if there's a way to change the default custom color, because manually doing it each time you select it is a bit annoying. I think I remember being able to change it once or something using the L and R buttons after selecting the slot or something, but I'm not entirely sure if that was during character creation or anytime you wanted.

Oh, by the way, if you happen to be up for a few matches sometime just shoot me a PM or something.

Good games guys! Fun as always, and pretty intense in many cases!

Thanks for playing everyone!

I only picked him because your Fox is brutal and I wanted the practice (Plus he's super fun haha). You've got great grab defense with the nairs and I like the jab to throws. Plus your speed makes commitment to moves scary.

And when it's you and DQ, you made me pay for every throw. And I was all out of zenny!
You're scary quick with grabs so I gotta be quicker with the counters. I figured, no offense to DQ, that I'd let him engage you and try to punish everything you do to him. Sorry to make you a decoy, DQ!
I'm still wondering if there's a way to change the default custom color, because manually doing it each time you select it is a bit annoying. I think I remember being able to change it once or something using the L and R buttons after selecting the slot or something, but I'm not entirely sure if that was during character creation or anytime you wanted.

Oh, by the way, if you happen to be up for a few matches sometime just shoot me a PM or something.
Yeah, when you're at the customize character screen and you're picking a slot to edit you can change the color with L and R.

Cronoc, when doing a reverse Bowser Bomb, I have learned that pushing the proper diagonal is actually really difficult. Instead of hitting the diagonal, the Bowser boards recommended making a QCB motion, but you push B at the start. So hit down B, and then roll the stick back. This works 100% of the time, and it is easier than finding the diagonal down sweet spot.

Ohhh, so that is why you kept picking default color. I was mildly annoyed with you for that.

All Omega stages are considered the same stage.

Requoting for efficiency.

Want to play our ranbats now?

You're scary quick with grabs so I gotta be quicker with the counters. I figured, no offense to DQ, that I'd let him engage you and try to punish everything you do to him. Sorry to make you a decoy, DQ!

Yeah, when you're at the customize character screen and you're picking a slot to edit you can change the color with L and R.
Don't worry I also did that in the last game :p.

Also if any ranbat bracket 5ers want to play tonight, I want to finish my ranbats tonight..

Boney

Banned
Anybody know at what frame does sonic ftilt come out?

That move is just so infuriating.

Also anyone up for some games?

JulianImp

It's weird that the game keeps picking my stages... I keep forgetting which ones are tournament legal, so I'm just picking the few that I remember.

Boney

Banned
Be right back, making some custom movesets.
Alright! Let me know! Fun fights you're pretty good! Was just about to bring samus back out, poor Charizard can't do shit against ness. A pk fire either means death or 35%

Ness is best.

until Lucas arrives
I get so salty against him. Make his pk thunder not had the invincibility on start up and I'd tolerate his sss aerials and ground game

JulianImp

Alright! Let me know! Fun fights you're pretty good! Was just about to bring samus back out, poor Charizard can't do shit against ness. A pk fire either means death or 35%

I get so salty against him. Make his pk thunder not had the invincibility on start up and I'd tolerate his sss aerials and ground game

I'm done, I guess. It turns out I ahve little to no unlocked moves in my WiiU version, so I couldn't make that many changes.

I should get into the habit of blocking more, since I kept eating free flare blitz customs all day.

Still, I think Ness finally getting start-up invincibility on his thunder is a really welcome addition, since his recovery's still slow and predictable, but at least it's less likely to be gimped by a single projectile unless timed right.

Boney

Banned
I'm done, I guess. It turns out I ahve little to no unlocked moves in my WiiU version, so I couldn't make that many changes.

I should get into the habit of blocking more, since I kept eating free flare blitz customs all day.

Still, I think Ness finally getting start-up invincibility on his thunder is a really welcome addition, since his recovery's still slow and predictable, but at least it's less likely to be gimped by a single projectile unless timed right.
If you want we can do customs off. But yeah unlocking them is a pain in the ass. I don't have that many, just a few for characters I use.

Ness does have the front of him vulnerable, but it's a relatively short window in which you already had to be on top of him to punish. And if you're not careful, you'll die. I mean he's a great character, glad he's so good this time, but I can't help feel frustrated with that back throw and them aerials

JulianImp

There, I SDed for you. I really hate starting a spin dash only to realize I've already spent my double jump.

EDIT: Dat meteor smash! I think I had my second jump left but forgot to use it, though :/

Top Bottom