• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Boney

Banned
That up smash was totally intentional

There, I SDed for you. I really hate starting a spin dash only to realize I've already spent my double jump.

EDIT: Dat meteor smash! I think I had my second jump left but forgot to use it, though :/
That meteor felt great :)

Cronox

Banned
GGs! I think I'll have to take a look at custom moves. Never bothered with them before but some of them seem really good. That sliding slash of Bowser took me off guard lol.

Hey, we can do our ranbats soon if you're around. Looks like we're fighting to see who gets kicked down to bracket 3...

I didn't think gunner or swordfighter would be good for her lol
I have a Fuyuhiko gunner, a Byakuya gunner, and a Peko swordfighter too

That's a good point. I usually just default to gunner if I can't figure out what a character fits with best i.e. Gabe Newell (gunner works with him, right?)
Seriously no Ikusaba? I would've expected that to be the first one you'd pull out.

JulianImp

I hope when Lucas arrives that Ness's head gets nerfed back to Onett.

Lucas was the one with the worse up aerial in Brawl, though, so there isn't a precedent for Ness getting the worse one. :p

I'd much rather have them nerf the characters which are just a bunch of overpowered setups and combos rather than the few reliable moves in lower tier characters' arsenals.

Something I'm looking forward to is Lucas's fast fsmash, since that makes reflecting projectiles a lot easier to do.

Edit: Yay, more SDs...

Give me a few minutes to warm up, then sure.

Edit: Ok I'm around for ranbats now, you have a very old friend request from me (Cronoc) to approve before we can match.

Oh sorry, my friend list has been full for a while and I thought you were a random from for glory :p. Do you make the room?

GGs Ammo. I am sorry about the sudden departure.

Yep, come on in. Are you a DDD main? Doesn't matter, I'll find out in a moment if I took the right customs set against you...
1311?

We're in one of these shitty situations where I'm winning and get to pick the stage every time for some stupid reason. Please let me know if there's a stage you want, I'm just going to stick to standards in the meantime.
Do you think that locking out a stage for repick after winning would help?

Maybe each player should just list 1 stage they want banned to make it smoother, too.

Boney

Banned
Was it me or did you connect with a Koopa Klaw and I somehow ended up lying on the floor instead of getting grabbed?
I didn't use klaw at all that match. Lylat is glitchy as hell though, you can tumble at different times.

Spirit of brawl lives on

We're in one of these shitty situations where I'm winning and get to pick the stage every time for some stupid reason. Please let me know if there's a stage you want, I'm just going to stick to standards in the meantime.
Alright GGs! Going to sleep now though, it's getting late here and I'm tired :p

Cronox

Banned

Good games Ammo! Funny how our games could be so one sided sometimes, I 2 stock you, you 2 stock me... A little bit of lag but I don't think it made too much of a difference. It's rough for heavy characters in the customs meta. I'd look into some of DDD's customs. I know there's a weird bounce gordo that may have situational use, perhaps something else too?

1311?

Do you think that locking out a stage for repick after winning would help?

Maybe each player should just list 1 stage they want banned to make it smoother, too.

Against DDD the correct choice is 2311 actually. Recall our previous discussion on the topic... I got Ammo a few times with Gordo reflects right as he tried to pull one out a midrange because of the fireball.

I think one or two general stage bans might help. But Ammo and I were generally cycling through Battlefield, Smashville and FD (omega Palutena's temple). When he got to pick the stages we went to Battlefield and Smashville, so if I had intentionally not picked those stages again he would have been denied the stage of his preference too... I think not picking the same stage twice consecutively is a good general rule though. Maybe there should be a rule about if you have stage picking control consistently and are winning, you should pick neutral stages (Smashville/Battlefield/FD) or check to see if the person posted on GAF in between matches as to their stage choice? Like "if you win 2 matches in a row on 2 stages you picked, check in on the Smash thread to confirm a stage with the other player, or types of stages they prefer." ?

Good games Ammo! Funny how our games could be so one sided sometimes, I 2 stock you, you 2 stock me... A little bit of lag but I don't think it made too much of a difference. It's rough for heavy characters in the customs meta. I'd look into some of DDD's customs. I know there's a weird bounce gordo that may have situational use, perhaps something else too?

Against DDD the correct choice is 2311 actually. Recall our previous discussion on the topic... I got Ammo a few times with Gordo reflects right as he tried to pull one out a midrange because of the fireball.

Yeah, I've never bothered unlocking customs. I have no idea what most characters customs even are. I think I have all of Wario's by now but never bothered checking them out.

Boney

Banned
What an underwhelming final fight. Freaking lylat sucks

Alright dude, fun games! Connection was pretty smooth as well!

JulianImp

What an underwhelming final fight. Freaking lylat sucks

I meant two not counting the one we were playing, so I could play another.

Ow. Two-stock FTL. I guess I should step up my shield game, because I kept walking into attacks for little to no reason.

Boney

Banned
Oh boy, worst roll of your life right there. Fun stuff, cool luigi, we don't see many of those around here and then ice ball were hell for bowser (tough guy doesn't work there). You we letting me live for waaaaaay too long though, rage kicked in and a back air could seal the deal at 60% for you.
Nifty sonic and ness, you need to start playing here more often so you can learn new tricks for those guys, some people here are nasty with them.

Really enjoyed the fights :)

Edit: yeah a few fortress where I should've been punished bad hit you. Guess you underestimated the horizontal distance

Cronoc, we should get doubles going with your Puff.

Thanks for staying up to finish the ranbats! Are you sticking around for S3?

I think one or two general stage bans might help. But Ammo and I were generally cycling through Battlefield, Smashville and FD (omega Palutena's temple). When he got to pick the stages we went to Battlefield and Smashville, so if I had intentionally not picked those stages again he would have been denied the stage of his preference too... Maybe there should be a rule about if you have stage picking control consistently and are winning, you should pick neutral stages (Smashville/Battlefield/FD) or check to see if the person posted on GAF in between matches as to their stage choice? Like "if you win 2 matches in a row on 2 stages you picked, check in on the Smash thread to confirm a stage with the other player, or types of stages they prefer." ?
Oh right, 2311. I agree with that. I don't like move-counterpicking, though. My brain does not adjust well. I need consistency.

Asking your opponent for stage picks means:
1) You may be stuck as your opponent forgets to post.
2) The flow of the fight breaks as you wait.

Maybe we will do 1 stage ban per person + stages you win on being banned from you picking them for the next two fights.

Cronox

Banned
Cronoc, we should get doubles going with your Puff.

Oh right, 2311. I agree with that. I don't like move-counterpicking, though. My brain does not adjust well. I need consistency.

Asking your opponent for stage picks means:
1) You may be stuck as your opponent forgets to post.
2) The flow of the fight breaks as you wait.

Maybe we will do 1 stage ban per person + stages you win on being banned from you picking them for the next two fights.

Unfortunately I have some work to do until dinner now. I made time to finish the ranbats but that's probably it until after dinner+cleanup which translates to 10pm pacific time.

I was thinking about this, in tournament if someone decides to use an omega stage, the opponent should be able to ban 2 omega stages. Generally that will mean Lylat and one other particular omega stage they feel their character is weak on. Why is this not part of the EVO rules? It really should be.

Anyway, my feeling is more that they just shouldn't take the same stage twice, but that's up to you. I personally have no trouble checking in, and I think when people haven't readied up online after more than a few moments that should be an indicator to check this thread and see if they posted anything. I agree on stage bans, but why not two? Think that's too much?

Regarding flow, conversely Anther's ladder and other Smash 4 3rd party matchmaking services have these breaks in flow also...

Unfortunately I have some work to do until dinner now. I made time to finish the ranbats but that's probably it until after dinner+cleanup which translates to 10pm pacific time.

I was thinking about this, in tournament if someone decides to use an omega stage, the opponent should be able to ban 2 omega stages. Generally that will mean Lylat and one other particular omega stage they feel their character is weak on. Why is this not part of the EVO rules? It really should be.

Anyway, my feeling is more that they just shouldn't take the same stage twice, but that's up to you. I personally have no trouble checking in, and I think when people haven't readied up online after more than a few moments that should be an indicator to check this thread and see if they posted anything. I agree on stage bans, but why not two? Think that's too much?

Regarding flow, conversely Anther's ladder and other Smash 4 3rd party matchmaking services have these breaks in flow also...
That could work. Two Omega bans + Two Stage bans. I would like to get other opinions on this, as well. Maybe I should add questions to the sign-up survey and have people go back and edit answers...

Not everyone has easy access to GAF. Just a few years ago, I had to go down two floors to access my PC and post. It is an unfair assumption that conversing is easy for everyone.

JulianImp

Oh boy, worst roll of your life right there. Fun stuff, cool luigi, we don't see many of those around here and then ice ball were hell for bowser (tough guy doesn't work there). You we letting me live for waaaaaay too long though, rage kicked in and a back air could seal the deal at 60% for you.
Nifty sonic and ness, you need to start playing here more often so you can learn new tricks for those guys, some people here are nasty with them.

Really enjoyed the fights :)

Edit: yeah a few fortress where I should've been punished bad hit you. Guess you underestimated the horizontal distance

The fun thing with Luigi is I only picked him up after I saw Boss's performance a few days ago, since before then I always felt like Smash 4 hadn't been kind to him at all with his low range and priority, as well as reduced KO potential on most of his aerials, but I see that can be used to his advantage to build some nasty combos. I think ice balls could probably be bad against some opponents, but I personally like how much of a spacing/zoning tool they can be. The lack of KOs were because whenever I went for a nair you kept air dodging it or I ended up hitting with the sourspot, so I kind of fell back to just using fair, which wasn't that much of a good idea in retrospect.

So yeah, I still have a long way to go in terms of my shield game and being able to apply pressure more consistently. I feel at home with Sonic because of how fast he can switch from horizontal and vertical game plans, even if he's kind of predictable and relies on mindgames and proper spacing to do well consistently. Another thing I want to get better with is ledge-guarding, since it often felt like waiting for opponents to get up and hope I get the right read for a punish probably isn't the wisest thing to do.

As for playing in here a bit more often, I guess I could try and do some lag tests with everyone I can to see if I can find other people I can play without input lag screwing things up. You being in Chile probably helps immensely, which is why I think I'll hardly have any luck with people in the US... I mean, back when I played Team Fortress 2 on US servers, I reliably got a ping of 150 ms or more, which throws everybody's timing off in smash, since they get to share my high ping by virtue of playing on a peer-based connection system.

Brackets 1 and 2 are completed.

Bracket 3 is near completion.

Brackets 4 and 5 are looking kind of rough. :/ Get those matches done, gentlemen!

Top Bottom