• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Cronox

Banned
That could work. Two Omega bans + Two Stage bans. I would like to get other opinions on this, as well. Maybe I should add questions to the sign-up survey and have people go back and edit answers...

Not everyone has easy access to GAF. Just a few years ago, I had to go down two floors to access my PC and post. It is an unfair assumption that conversing is easy for everyone.

How about making the first battle on a neutral (Battlefield/Smashville/FD) stage also? There's the added wrinkle that based on the other person's main, the bans may be different. For example, I don't want to take customs Villager to Duck Hunt (sapling is hard to see) or Battlefield, but wouldn't think to ban those for most other characters. Should people identify their characters before starting/doing stage bans? It get's complicated, admittedly. Reveals some inherent problems within our bbforums style of communication and Nintendo's online implementation.

Well, if the Wii U is online, odds are there's internet around. A smartphone would suffice... Personally I use the same TV for my computer and Wii U so I just switch video inputs for a moment to get back to GAF.

Nabster92

Cronoc, you warmed up yet?

Some of you guys and your comments in the sign-up...

One thing Twilt brought up is the stage selection process. Letting the game pick has led to some unfortunate situations in matchups. I would like to solve this. There are two options that come to mind:

1) We do a stage selection process on GAF for every match. I am not a fan of this because it is cumbersome. If it is popular, I will implement it.

2) We ban the re-use of a stage you have won on in some fashion. Your opponent can still pick it, but not you. This could be a ban on a stage until the end of the set, or until you lose, or...there are a lot of options.

Do folks have a preference for 1 or 2? Or a third option? The only thing I am strongly opposed to is implementing some kind of mandatory chat room. I started the ranbats to build community and discussion on GAF, and I would rather this place not be overshadowed by another system.

How about something like allowing each person 1 or 2 stage ban(s) for the whole set and you can optionally choose for the set whether you want to allow or ban picking the stage last won on in case they actually want to do salty runbacks.

If that optional salty runback ban is too much, then it's fine to just default to preventing the winner from picking the stage they won on for the next game like option 2.

Edit: ^^ Neutral stage first game sounds good too.

Boney

Banned
There should be like obvious counter picks as well, nobody is taking a siddy to halberd so if you're a diddy, don't do halberd

jnWake

We could also use tags (as in, Smash 4 tags) to choose stages.

For example,

BTFLD = Battlefield.
HLBRD = Halberd.

Something like that. Adding O or the omega symbol (I have no clue if you can use it in the game) for Omega stages too.

It may be a bit cumbersome to set up but it avoids cluttering the forums.

Reposting from Smash Boards:

I just want three Bowser changes:
1) Aerial Fortress can now be B reversed so it latches when facing away from the ledge.

2) Klaw no longer whiffs at point blank range.

3) Klaw is altered such that landing it is never a dubious decision. I don't care about the specifics here.

Then I would be happy. Though I would still use Dash Slash because I have grown to love it. Outside of these three major fixes, I would just love to see buffs to his customs so that they are worth considering. Make Flying Fortress KO at like 80%, let the fireball recover faster, let Fire Roar either do sick damage or last longer, let Turbulent Bomb break shields, let Slip Bomb trip for twice as long or recover faster, give Klaw armor, and let Sliding Fortress startup and recover faster.

Then we would have an interesting full set of customs to work with and consider.

Is Roboleon still alive? I don't recall seeing him post in here and he's only done one ranbat match
If you haven't played someone, screenshot your attempt to contact them. I wont ban you for him not being here, but if you didn't even try to PM him then you share in fault.

Boney

Banned
Holy moly that WFT

Getting wrecked by volleyballs! Need to start paying attention a little better. Nice stuff though!
Oh my god!!

I guess I should be challenging you mor if I wait in shield for both the volley and the aerial, in getting hit.
So more aggressive

Boney

Banned
Err that was an accident lol
Hehehe yeah, not a fan of horizontal up b's.

Also, dude you're way over abusing that volley. You need to learn to go in when you have the advantage after landing one of those or for some other reason. They're good spacing but you need to switch it up!

Alright dude, fun games, you were giving me trouble that last game with zss, hard to hit you. Also it took me a while to adapt to those custom volleyball but once I did you kept getting punished by using them. You have some cool little tricks but you're over reliant on them. You should try fixing that, stills, good games!

Beats

Hehehe yeah, not a fan of horizontal up b's.

Also, dude you're way over abusing that volley. You need to learn to go in when you have the advantage after landing one of those or for some other reason. They're good spacing but you need to switch it up!

Alright dude, fun games, you were giving me trouble that last game with zss, hard to hit you. Also it took me a while to adapt to those custom volleyball but once I did you kept getting punished by using them. You have some cool little tricks but you're over reliant on them. You should try fixing that, stills, good games!

Good games!

yeah, I know. Wii Fit Trainer doesn't have much when it comes to her ground moves or aerials though. I think all of her normal attacks are unsafe on shield even at max range, so I rely on her projectiles a lot which can be a problem. : <

Man I don't think I'm going to find anyone I truly truly like. For some reason I really like playing Lucina a lot (she's more direct than Palutena), but she gets rekt by a lot of people. Here's hoping she gets some decent buffs in the upcoming patch..

Oh and any bracket 5ers up want to play? Or people down for more 2v2s?

Man I don't think I'm going to find anyone I truly truly like. For some reason I really like playing Lucina a lot (she's more direct than Palutena), but she gets rekt by a lot of people. Here's hoping she gets some decent buffs in the upcoming patch..

I am good for 2v2.

I heard a Bowser player on Smashboards got destroyed by a Robin. I wonder what that Robin did...something about lots of nairs.

I didn't realize you wanted more. I'm up for more 2v2s.

Cronox

Banned
Reposting from Smash Boards:

I just want three Bowser changes:
1) Aerial Fortress can now be B reversed so it latches when facing away from the ledge.

2) Klaw no longer whiffs at point blank range.

3) Klaw is altered such that landing it is never a dubious decision. I don't care about the specifics here.

Then I would be happy. Though I would still use Dash Slash because I have grown to love it. Outside of these three major fixes, I would just love to see buffs to his customs so that they are worth considering. Make Flying Fortress KO at like 80%, let the fireball recover faster, let Fire Roar either do sick damage or last longer, let Turbulent Bomb break shields, let Slip Bomb trip for twice as long or recover faster, give Klaw armor, and let Sliding Fortress startup and recover faster.

Then we would have an interesting full set of customs to work with and consider.

Ha don't I recall you making a list of 5 changes somewhere earlier in this thread? There were two more on top of these 3 at the time. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy if they didn't allow klaw to go over the ledge. Just attach it to the stage/platform it started on like how you can't dash slash or fortress off of the stage or a platform. That'd be fine with me, even when I'm up a stock self-preservation and the shittiness of suicide kills lead me to steer into the stage most of the time anyway.

I've realized the thing with klaw is actually not a Bowser specific thing, it's game-wide. Many characters in this game whiff attacks when the opponents player model is somewhat within their own. DK has similar problems with normals, as does Bowser's jab and ftilt - I whiff on people all the time who rolled into me but not past, landing inside me. Fixing klaw entails fixing a lot of hitboxes that simply don't start close enough to characters. Of course the largest characters are most effected since it's more likely other players will be inside their character model. I think they should at least pay attention to the bigger characters, of course they want to avoid placing the hitboxes so close into Bowser and others that their attacks hit behind them so perhaps compromises would need to be made. Maybe those compromises were already made :( Of course the higher tier, smaller characters don't deal with this as much due to their size.

Like the suggestions but the flying fortress one is craaaazy though, considering it is such an easy jump canceled out of shield attack. I don't think that one is realistic. Not that any of these are happening, I doubt the balance patch will change any customs besides maybe nerfing the most exploitable ones. Maybe not even those...

But it is nice to dream.

Edit: found the smashboards thread regarding characters whiffing, OP's list is incomplete obviously.

I am good for 2v2.

I heard a Bowser player on Smashboards got destroyed by a Robin. I wonder what that Robin did...something about lots of nairs.
I could see a good Robin being a threat to Bowser. Not my Robin though... You should try playing Tipster's Robin..
edit: Join Tipster's game.

Top Bottom