• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

FlowWayfarer

Neo Member
Hey dudes, figured I'd introduce myself as this thread is why I signed up for GAF.

Tipster is a good friend of mine and recommended the forum as a good way to find some fun and skilled people to play! FG is lame and I always seem to get paired off with the Samus on a 56k modem who does nothing but roll and charge shot. Fuck that. I've already played with some of you guy in 2s with Tipster, but I suck so hard at 2s; it's a new concept to me.

I just recently started playing Smash4 while being laid up with an injury and have once again been sucked into the smash craze. I have some learning to do and haven't quite settled on a main yet (although close). Looking forward to learning a bunch and getting my ass handed to me by you all. My NNID is Wayfarer113; feel free to add me!

Catch you guys around

Cedric

Tried playing For Glory the other day, haven't had the chance to play Smash in a long time, and it seems my online matches have way more lag than before. Anyone have any suggestions for those internet adapter thingies? I'm going to have a lot of free time soon, wanna get back into Smash 4.

edit: just realized I have no idea how this would work out, I'm guessing I have to plug the adapter to the WiiU then plug it into my router? My router is in a completely different room, what are the recommended cheapest options to make this work?

Anyone wanna help a brother out? I know a lot of you swear by the internet adaptor, was hoping someone had some advice, I'm kinda ignorant about these things.

Hey dudes, figured I'd introduce myself as this thread is why I signed up for GAF.

Tipster is a good friend of mine and recommended the forum as a good way to find some fun and skilled people to play! FG is lame and I always seem to get paired off with the Samus on a 56k modem who does nothing but roll and charge shot. Fuck that. I've already played with some of you guy in 2s with Tipster, but I suck so hard at 2s; it's a new concept to me.

I just recently started playing Smash4 while being laid up with an injury and have once again been sucked into the smash craze. I have some learning to do and haven't quite settled on a main yet (although close). Looking forward to learning a bunch and getting my ass handed to me by you all. My NNID is Wayfarer113; feel free to add me!

Catch you guys around
Yo! Welcome to the thread, and to GAF. :) You can start off by adding me, my NNID is CRQ-L-07. Hope you enjoy your time here and find plenty of matches in the future!
Anyone wanna help a brother out? I know a lot of you swear by the internet adaptor, was hoping someone had some advice, I'm kinda ignorant about these things.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00484IEJS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's the one I use. Simply plug it in to the Wii U, plug an ethernet cable into the adaptor and into your router, and set up the wired connection on the system settings. Easy peasy. Was there anything you needed clarifying on?

Cedric

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00484IEJS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's the one I use. Simply plug it in to the Wii U, plug an ethernet cable into the adaptor and into your router, and set up the wired connection on the system settings. Easy peasy. Was there anything you needed clarifying on?

Thanks, my biggest issue is that our router is isolated in a box in a cupboard, nothing is plugged into it everything is on Wifi. Does that mean I'm pretty much screwed or is there something I can do?

JulianImp

Thanks, my biggest issue is that our router is isolated in a box in a cupboard, nothing is plugged into it everything is on Wifi. Does that mean I'm pretty much screwed or is there something I can do?

If getting a long cable that links the router to your WiiU isn't an option, then getting a LAN adapter would probably be a waste.

Hmm, is moving it not an option? If you can't find a way to run a cable to it, I don't think buying a LAN adaptor is worth it. :(

Masked Man

I said wow
Finished my ranbats with JCX, and he won 5-2. Some pretty close matches! I had a couple of unfortunate SDs, but what else is new? lol
I had fun regardless! Plus, it makes me happy to see people playing Wii Fit Trainer, and JCX's WFT is awesome!
3AQmK.gif

Ranbat Season 3 Signup Link (quote to reveal):

What about a wall plug adapter? Can you route your internet through your home electricity? Some people do that with success.

Catch you guys around
Were you the guy that played Luigi? I was Bowser against you and Blackmage, if so.

Add Karsticles to your NNID list.

After 21pm cest :)
You have 4 ranbat matches to play before next Sunday. Failure to do so will result in a ban from future participation.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You have 4 ranbat matches to play before next Sunday. Failure to do so will result in a ban from future participation.

Yeah, I will do my best for the sake of the others, but I doubt I'll sign up again anyway. I've been asking around for matches both here and in the IRC channel, but I guess EU play times don't always work out with the mostly american based player group here, and it has been hard getting the matches at the hours I usually play in.

Catch you guys around
Oh yeah, and some tips on being a Junior Member on NeoGAF:
1) All Junior bans are permanent - do not get banned.
2) Stay away from the making posts that contain controversial opinions in the Off-Topic Forum.
3) Do not insult, mock, or demean anyone, ever.
4) Resist engaging in any kind of fanboy war.
5) Stick to small OT communities like this one to get your post count in.

That's the safest path to making member. Since you are Blackmage's friend, I figure you are a good person. I have seen good people get banned during their Junior period for a slight misstep, and wouldn't want that to happen to you.

Yeah, I will do my best for the sake of the others, but I doubt I'll sign up again anyway. I've been asking around for matches both here and in the IRC channel, but I guess EU play times don't always work out with the mostly american based player group here, and it has been hard getting the matches at the hours I usually play in.
PMing people is key. Set up dates ahead of time.

Like Karsticles said, PMing people helps out. I had to play someone in Japan, and though it took a while we eventually got our match done due to keeping in touch with each other through PMs. You gotta put in the work to get past the time zone issues, but it's understandable if you don't feel like you'll be able to do this again. :(

Also real talk, how can you get banned for having controversial opinions? Sure you could feel a very weird way for a very controversial subject, but I thought we were supposed to tolerate that and not go on witch hunts and shit. :( Lord help you if you're a republican on one of the political threads in OT.

Like Karsticles said, PMing people helps out. I had to play someone in Japan, and though it took a while we eventually got our match done due to keeping in touch with each other through PMs. You gotta put in the work to get past the time zone issues, but it's understandable if you don't feel like you'll be able to do this again. :(

Also real talk, how can you get banned for having controversial opinions? Sure you could feel a very weird way for a very controversial subject, but I thought we were supposed to tolerate that and not go on witch hunts and shit. :( Lord help you if you're a republican on one of the political threads in OT.
It's generally ban-worthy to discuss this stuff, so let's stop here, yes?

Anyone down to play?
FYI, if you wanted to give the ranbats another shot, your 1-season ban is lifted now. Up to you.

jorgejjvr

It's generally ban-worthy to discuss this stuff, so let's stop here, yes?

FYI, if you wanted to give the ranbats another shot, your 1-season ban is lifted now. Up to you.
Thank you man, I know, I've been thinking about it. But having two jobs, 12 hours each day and one day off, I'm afraid I might not be able to keep up

Thank you man, I know, I've been thinking about it. But having two jobs, 12 hours each day and one day off, I'm afraid I might not be able to keep up
Up to you. I just want you to know the offer is open. If you didn't come through a second time, the ranban (I like that term!) would be permanent (or maybe 6 months?). Use your best judgment on what you can come through on, and what you are interested in. The ranbats aren't going anywhere, so you can always join up when your life cools down a bit. No pressure.

So when does the new ranbat season start? I might want to get out of the school vortex before playing again...
I am going to start it on April 19, probably. Next week is for catch-ups, and then I need the following week to prepare the brackets. That gives everyone two weeks to sign up.

FlowWayfarer

Neo Member
Oh yeah, and some tips on being a Junior Member on NeoGAF:
1) All Junior bans are permanent - do not get banned.
2) Stay away from the making posts that contain controversial opinions in the Off-Topic Forum.
3) Do not insult, mock, or demean anyone, ever.
4) Resist engaging in any kind of fanboy war.
5) Stick to small OT communities like this one to get your post count in.

That's the safest path to making member. Since you are Blackmage's friend, I figure you are a good person. I have seen good people get banned during their Junior period for a slight misstep, and wouldn't want that to happen you.

Thanks for the pointers. Not too worried about it; I don't think I've ever posted in a controversial topic ever and generally keep such opinions off the internet (they don't accomplish anything here anyway). I live by the rule that there were three things that one doesn't talk about at parties (or online):
1. Religion
2. Politics
3. Biggie vs. TuPac

Truer words...

Anywho, I'll be around later tonight if anyone is interested in some games. Have to start packing up my place for moving. Shoot me now.

I am going to start it on April 19, probably. Next week is for catch-ups, and then I need the following week to prepare the brackets. That gives everyone two weeks to sign up.
Hmm might have to sit that one out.. So I guess it's possible I might go to a lower bracket than 5 if more people join :< .

Yeah we'll end that talk here Karst.

I've been playing around with Ness, but he's a whole lot of challenge to play as. Maybe I'll PK Wait for Lucas like everyone else. Oh, and speaking of, everyone should remember to record any replays they have and upload them to Youtube while you still can! When the new balance patch drops, those replays are gone.

I edited my first post in this thread with a rough draft of Season 3's rules. Things changed:
1) I added a suicide clause.
2) The match timer was changed to 6 minutes to match Evo rules.
3) I added three rules about stage bans to ensure more stage variety.
4) I added links to adapters to help people get a better internet connection.
5) I added a "time out" clause.
6) I added a notice that I am willing to PM e-mail addresses for GAF-banned players.
7) Edited the "how brackets were decided" section.
8) I added a notice re: ranbanned players rejoining.

If anyone has issues with these changes, or would like me to make an additional change, just post about it in the thread, and I will read up on it.

So the banned stages are for all 5-9 battles? Like, if I ban battlefield because I am starting as Yoshi, even if I switch to a character that is good with battlefield, it will still be banned?
Yes, that would have to be the case. Otherwise, your opponent would have to (somehow) know to check the thread for a stage ban change. You can always elect not to ban stages if you want to retain fluidity.

Hmm might have to sit that one out.. So I guess it's possible I might go to a lower bracket than 5 if more people join :< .
Possibly, yes. You could always try to bulk play your matches. I did 3/5 of my ranbat matches between yesterday and Friday night. /shrug

You still have 3 matches to play for this ranbat season! LOL Get those done before worrying about Season 3.

Yes, that would have to be the case. Otherwise, your opponent would have to (somehow) know to check the thread for a stage ban change. You can always elect not to ban stages if you want to retain fluidity.

Alright, I guess that is okay. Chances are I won't pick anyone that is good with Battlefield, anyways. Some clarification on these rules:

• Additionally, each player may post two omega-version stages that are banned for the set.
• All omega-version stages are considered one “stage” for stage ban purposes.

So, each omega stage is its own separate stage, or are they all counted as one stage? I think you mean the former, or the first rule would be useless.

Alright, I guess that is okay. Chances are I won't pick anyone that is good with Battlefield, anyways. Some clarification on these rules:

• Additionally, each player may post two omega-version stages that are banned for the set.
• All omega-version stages are considered one “stage” for stage ban purposes.

So, each omega stage is its own separate stage, or are they all counted as one stage? I think you mean the former, or the first rule would be useless.
Is this more clear?

• When starting a set, each player may post two stages that are banned for the set.
• For the purposes of this rule, omega-version stages and Final Destination are all one “stage”.

FSLink

Banned
Is this more clear?

• When starting a set, each player may post two stages that are banned for the set.
• For the purposes of this rule, omega-version stages and Final Destination are all one “stage”.

That last rule is kinda redundant. Just ban FD.

Also likely without actual internet until the end of the week (just moved to a new place) so I'll have to quickly finish my ranbat matches then.

That last rule is kinda redundant. Just ban FD.

Also likely without actual internet until the end of the week (just moved to a new place) so I'll have to quickly finish my ranbat matches then.
My wording isn't clear, and I'm trying to fix it, but it isn't redundant. What it means is that players may ban two of the omega stages from selection if omega stages aren't banned.

For example, I might ban Lylat Cruise (you better believe it) and Wuhu Island (it's so big). FD is selectable. However, I don't want to play on the omega version of Battlefield, because the ledges are funky. I also don't want to play on the Final Destination, because the lights bother me. So I get those two omega-bans in addition to my general stage bans. However, someone could pick omega-Palutena's Temple, and that would be just fine.

If you have a suggestion as to how it could be better worded, let me know.

when does Season 3 start?
I'm a little confused by the therm "next Sunday, April 26"
I edited it for clarification.

I don't know why I thought I wouldn't turn to absolute shit after not playing for a week. Especially given I wasn't much better than shit to begin with. :x
Oh well, back to practicing when I have time. &_&

Boney

Banned
Man, shiek's rolls are so bullshit. She doesn't even get landing lag from her up b when falling helpless.

Fix this shit

FSLink

Banned
My wording isn't clear, and I'm trying to fix it, but it isn't redundant. What it means is that players may ban two of the omega stages from selection if omega stages aren't banned.
That makes more sense yeah.

I think a cleaner rule is just to stick with FD or omega Palutena (for people who dislike the light) if you don't ban FD. Banning certain omega stages due to the traction/edges is pretty niche, most characters who would have issues with that sort of thing would usually prefer not to be on FD anyway (except Bowser lol. :x)

Is this more clear?

Still confusing, but....

For example, I might ban Lylat Cruise (you better believe it) and Wuhu Island (it's so big). FD is selectable. However, I don't want to play on the omega version of Battlefield, because the ledges are funky. I also don't want to play on the Final Destination, because the lights bother me. So I get those two omega-bans in addition to my general stage bans. However, someone could pick omega-Palutena's Temple, and that would be just fine.

If you have a suggestion as to how it could be better worded, let me know.

I edited it for clarification.

This cleared it up a bit.

In your example, did you ban omega Battlefield and omega Final Destination?

Top Bottom