• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Cronox

Banned
It's generally ban-worthy to discuss this stuff, so let's stop here, yes?

Ha Karsticles you sound scared. A little meta-discussion in a community thread is unlikely to get you banned :p You saw my post a couple pages back, right?

Oh, also, you didn't want to implement the "first battle on a neutral stage" thing?

That makes more sense yeah.

I think a cleaner rule is just to stick with FD or omega Palutena (for people who dislike the light) if you don't ban FD. Banning certain omega stages due to the traction/edges is pretty niche, most characters who would have issues with that sort of thing would usually prefer not to be on FD anyway (except Bowser lol. :x)

It's niche, but has its utility. Just figure out which ones you don't want to play on and make them your standard bans. While it's unlikely a GAFer would take you there, this is a legitimate concern. As Bowser, mine will generally be omega Lylat and omega Battlefield, but if I'm trying to play Puff I'll actually be counterpicking omega Lylat if the opponent doesn't ban it. It's not a bad thing, if you forget to ban 2 omegas and your opponent doesn't take you anywhere you don't want to go, who cares... but it's good to have the option.

Alright, thanks! seems like I won't be buying one then.

So you have an entertainment center with a Wii U and possibly other consoles, perhaps a Bluray player too, all of which are on Wifi, yes? If you can't get a cord over, here's what you do. It costs a little but you'll be upgrading the internet for everything in your entertainment center at once.

Buy:
ethernet adapter for your Wii U
Powerline starter kit (plug one in by your router, plug the other in by your entertainment center) Both need to go straight into the wall. You can expand your home's wired connections with these, and add more points of access if you buy more.
ethernet switch (for splitting the wired connection among your Wii U and other consoles/machines that could use wired internet also)

And lastly, buy some more ethernet cords if you don't have enough spares for all this. Anything on Amazon will be fine, or you could also go to Monoprice and get a fancy Cat 6 cord or even Cat 7 for very little. Not that those would effect the speed on the Wii U, those would just be future-proofing at this point. Seems like a lot of work? About 15 minutes if you read the manuals and know which cord goes where. Seems like a ~$60ish investment? Yes it is. It's a good investment and not just for your Wii U. Personally I was very happy to get my upstairs computers off of wireless and get some snap back into my internet.

Grokbu

Hey all!

If anyone would like to play on Wii U sometime, please add me if you want to!

My NNID is "Soft_Snow" (without the quotation marks).

I'm from Europe, Sweden if anyone wonders.

jnWake

I've been playing around with Ness, but he's a whole lot of challenge to play as. Maybe I'll PK Wait for Lucas like everyone else. Oh, and speaking of, everyone should remember to record any replays they have and upload them to Youtube while you still can! When the new balance patch drops, those replays are gone.

I have so many cool replays but no capture card ;_;

It pains me to lose them. I could always record them with my phone but that sucks...

Cedric

Ha Karsticles you sound scared. A little meta-discussion in a community thread is unlikely to get you banned :p You saw my post a couple pages back, right?

Oh, also, you didn't want to implement the "first battle on a neutral stage" thing?

It's niche, but has its utility. Just figure out which ones you don't want to play on and make them your standard bans. While it's unlikely a GAFer would take you there, this is a legitimate concern. As Bowser, mine will generally be omega Lylat and omega Battlefield, but if I'm trying to play Puff I'll actually be counterpicking omega Lylat if the opponent doesn't ban it. It's not a bad thing, if you forget to ban 2 omegas and your opponent doesn't take you anywhere you don't want to go, who cares... but it's good to have the option.

So you have an entertainment center with a Wii U and possibly other consoles, perhaps a Bluray player too, all of which are on Wifi, yes? If you can't get a cord over, here's what you do. It costs a little but you'll be upgrading the internet for everything in your entertainment center at once.

Buy:
Powerline starter kit (plug one in by your router, plug the other in by your entertainment center) Both need to go straight into the wall. You can expand your home's wired connections with these, and add more points of access if you buy more.
ethernet switch (for splitting the wired connection among your Wii U and other consoles/machines that could use wired internet also)

And lastly, buy some more ethernet cords if you don't have enough spares for all this. Anything on Amazon will be fine, or you could also go to Monoprice and get a fancy Cat 6 cord or even Cat 7 for very little. Not that those would effect the speed on the Wii U, those would just be future-proofing at this point. Seems like a lot of work? About 15 minutes if you read the manuals and know which cord goes where. Seems like a ~$60ish investment? Yes it is. It's a good investment and not just for your Wii U. Personally I was very happy to get my upstairs computers off of wireless and get some snap back into my internet.

This is exactly the type of stuff I was hoping for, thanks a bunch! The price is also way less than I thought this type of setup would be, this is great.

JulianImp

Up for some matches if anyone's interested. NNID's JulianImp.

Will probably have to do a lag test before playing (I use Ness for that), though.

Still confusing, but....

This cleared it up a bit.

In your example, did you ban omega Battlefield and omega Final Destination?
Yes.

Buy:

When authority figures take punitive action that I can't understand, I get very conservative with my actions. Too many bad experiences. A lot of bans around here on GAF are incomprehensible to me, so yes, I am unnerved.

You can't use what others do as a reference for what will or will not get you banned. I have learned that by experience.

Alright. Thanks!
You are welcome.

Cronox

Banned
This is exactly the type of stuff I was hoping for, thanks a bunch! The price is also way less than I thought this type of setup would be, this is great.

You can get a switch with more ports too if you think you'll eventually have more than 4 things to connect to in that spot.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How late do you typically stay up? I think you're 9 hours ahead of me, so the only time I can play on weekdays is 3:30 to 7:30am your time. Or like, 3:30pm your time, but that's when I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, so...

Yeah.. None of that really works generally, 3:30 - 7.30 am for natural reasons, and 3.30pm is right in the middle of picking up kids etc etc. I could try to get in a fast match like 3pm my time on Tuesday though?

JulianImp

Maybe we could do some 2v2s as well? Depends on whether I get a good connection with everybody else, but so far things are looking good.

The latest match barely counted, though. Dem autogimps.

Neki

Man the weekly I go to I do well against everyone except the top three, I can never take a set off of them. Especially a Megaman player, I'm 0-3 against him and 0-2 against the top Lucina player. Though Tipster plays considerably better than the one I always face at my weekly lol. One day I'll beat one of them.

so how is fluxwave being banned gonna affect me in the doubles tournament? he was supposed to be my partner

You'll have to find someone else as he's unavailable. I believe SoldnerKei and Phantom Flapjack are also in search of partners.

I should update the bracket too, now that I think about it.

Oh, and of course I can partner up too. :3

Good games, Twilt! I'm slightly...well, actually pretty disappointed with how I did overall, but it does make me want to improve more, so it's good. I don't know how you seem to be a natural with nearly every sword character. That Ike completely stumped me. And I sure wish Lucina's sword was its actual length so I could compete with Shulk. :p

It's a real shame Lucario's up B nerf completely killed the character for me. And while landing tippers does feel good, I still don't really want to use Marth...

TWILT

Banned
Good games, Twilt! I'm slightly...well, actually pretty disappointed with how I did overall, but it does make me want to improve more, so it's good. I don't know how you seem to be a natural with nearly every sword character. That Ike completely stumped me. And I sure wish Lucina's sword was its actual length so I could compete with Shulk. :p

GGs Anki. Fun matches as usual! Props to you for still sticking with Lucina. Your Toon Link/Lucario were good too. Haha, I'm really liking Ike now that I've been messing around more with his customs. I'm so used to recovering low with him, so his diagonal Aether led me to a lot of SDs before, but I'm really starting to like it now.

BTW, you live in the Toronto area, right? Because next month on the 16th-17th, I'll be entering Toryuken 4 (along with a few other games I haven't decided yet though probably Marvel and maybe Persona). Just wondering if you'd be interested in coming because it'd be cool if we met in person haha. Links here for more info.

Wait, there's a doubles tournament? I haven't been following the thread closely since MH4U and Bloodborne came out, must have missed that. Are the signups closed already?

GGs Anki. Fun matches as usual! Props to you for still sticking with Lucina. Your Toon Link/Lucario were good too. Haha, I'm really liking Ike now that I've been messing around more with his customs. I'm so used to recovering low with him, so his diagonal Aether led me to a lot of SDs before, but I'm really starting to like it now.

BTW, you live in the Toronto area, right? Because next month on the 16th-17th, I'll be entering Toryuken 4 (along with a few other games I haven't decided yet though probably Marvel and maybe Persona). Just wondering if you'd be interested in coming because it'd be cool if we met in person haha. Links here for more info.

Oh yeah, Toryuken! I'll definitely be going to that since I live pretty close to it! I'll most likely be entering Smash only, but yeah! Let's meet there for sure!

JulianImp

Good games, even thogh most of them were fairly one-sided in your favor! Good to know I can also play you without the connection screwing things up.

That last game I thought I had died, but didn't. Then I taunted because WTF and ended up dying to the transition anyway.

Still having lots of trouble actually killing with Luigi, which is really bothersome since I'm just adding to your rage.

Puruzi

Banned
Good games, even thogh most of them were fairly one-sided in your favor! Good to know I can also play you without the connection screwing things up.

That last game I thought I had died, but didn't. Then I taunted because WTF and ended up dying to the transition anyway.

Still having lots of trouble actually killing with Luigi, which is really bothersome since I'm just adding to your rage.

GGs, your Sonic, Ness, and Luigi were great! My go-to kill when I use Luigi is downthrow down b, kills at around 110%. Downthrow Up B works too, but only if the opponent doesn't DI.

geez these matches are so close

since when do you play smash bros

I'm gonna need to play you sometime.

You'll have to find someone else as he's unavailable. I believe SoldnerKei and Phantom Flapjack are also in search of partners.

I should update the bracket too, now that I think about it.

Oh, and of course I can partner up too. :3
I don't see why banned players can't participate, unless it is a permaban. Their partners can facilitate.

Did Maskedman find someone?
Yes he did.
I don't see why banned players can't participate, unless it is a permaban. Their partners can facilitate.
Well, in this case the choice was on the player to participate or not. If someone tells me they wish to withdraw because they don't feel like they can commit, then that's that.

And also, owing to an unexpected occurrence and a very busy week for me, I'm gonna postpone the launch of the tourney to next week. Please understand, I'm only human.

Cherish your relatives and family, everyone. You never know when your next drink with them is the last.

Top Bottom