• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I can't say I have ever struggled against a Rob. He isn't even in the top 10 of characters that annoy me as Bowser.

Ganondorf's Wizard Drop Kick beats all of his projectiles. Bowser doesn't even need Dash Slash, but it makes it easier. Absolutely essential is learning the various ways you can pick up a projectile item thrown by your opponent.

To be fair I've never fought ROB with the Customs on before so things will probably be different.

Masked Man

I said wow
I leave for a business trip on Thursday, so I'm trying to coordinate with SalvaPot to do our matches before then, but he was gone visiting his parents until today/yesterday. Hopefully we can finish our set! D:

I went against a ROB on anthers that literally only used Nair and his projectiles. Occasional Downsmash, and UpThrow to kill. Hell.

That's something I'd expect out of For Glory. I had to deal with a Ness who just stood there and shielded and spot dodged to try and punish approaches. Of course, since he exposed his pattern very early it was simple to bait out what I wanted and punish accordingly, but god was it aggravating to deal with when I was trying out new characters. Some characters just can't punish spot dodge spam without committing, and that's what will hurt you most in this game.

Boney

Banned
I keep trying to play other games, but Smash keeps pulling me back in. I always see some pro player use a character in a tourney and then I want to go learn that character. Curse this over-sized roster.

Anyone up for some games? 1v1, FFA, whatever. NNID TheRealJims.
I am. Adding you

That's something I'd expect out of For Glory. I had to deal with a Ness who just stood there and shielded and spot dodged to try and punish approaches. Of course, since he exposed his pattern very early it was simple to bait out what I wanted and punish accordingly, but god was it aggravating to deal with when I was trying out new characters. Some characters just can't punish spot dodge spam without committing, and that's what will hurt you most in this game.
Bowser eats spot dodges so hard. At locals, it's funny to watch everyone try to abuse them and then get ground up by the shell.

jnWake

Bowser eats spot dodges so hard. At locals, it's funny to watch everyone try to abuse them and then get ground up by the shell.

Spot dodge spam is very annoying online, especially for a chilean player like me! Almost always have a bit of input lag so it's hard to deal with that. At least, Yoshi's jabs eat through dodges easily, and Jab+Down-B is a nice combo...

I'd like to challenge you with ROB sometime Karsticles. I think I'm decent with that character but I've never faced a good Bowser with it. The ones in For Glory tend to be awful.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Main problem I have with ROB is that passive aggression battle you have to play in that matchup. A lot of his attacks have priority over your own like his Uair Arm Flail and you have to wait for that mistake the player makes so you can make your move. Despite playing as a turtle I just want to get in and create an opening but half the battle is "getting to thing" before actually "fighting the thing".

Play enough of those kind of battles and it gets tiresome.

SoldnerKei

I think you just grabbed a bomb that exploded and threw it at me like nothing happened, not sure if that was what I saw on that last Lucina vs Link match xD

jnWake

Main problem I have with ROB is that passive aggression battle you have to play in that matchup. A lot of his attacks have priority over your own like his Uair Arm Flail and you have to wait for that mistake the player makes so you can make your move. Despite playing as a turtle I just want to get in and create an opening but half the battle is "getting to thing" before actually "fighting the thing".

Play enough of those kind of battles and it gets tiresome.

ROB is a pretty annoying character I agree, since he's easy to play defensively.

One tip against ROB is to be aware that Nair (the move where ROB does a vertical flip) has like no ending lag, so don't try to approach when he's doing that since you'll be punished. Other than that, ROB's only quick attacks are his tilts, so it shouldn't be that hard to hit him. Problem for Bowser is the size that makes lasers a good option. At least, Bowser isn't easy to KO with Uthrow so that's a plus!

Boney

Banned
Good games jims! Cool yoshi and you got there very aggressive, I like it! Sadly, it was a bit laggy, but I still enjoyed them inmensely.

Jims

Good games, Boney! Samus is a character that always gives me fits, and yours was no different. I should've just switched away from Luigi (since his fireballs become useless). False's amazing Luigi inspired me to pick him up this week and wanted to get some online practice with him. Got a lot more work to do.

(After that weird/bad game on Halberd, I was determined to play one more.) :p

SoldnerKei

gotta go Anki, I really enjoyed our games, your TLink and Lucina are pretty good, actually the first TL I have ever played here in GAF iirc, his customs got me by surprise in some games too, hopefully our connection is better next time, nevertheless great games man!

Good games! I'm glad I was finally able to play you! Your spacing is so good! I really want to get better at it. Your Link is especially really difficult to fight. In some ways I kind of hate how good Sakurai made him this time around. :p

Sorry for the Lucario/Mr. Game and Watch picks, I was afraid you might be bored fighting the same two characters over and over. Toon Link and Lucina are the only characters I really like to use in the roster, so...:/

Hopefully I'll be getting one of those adapters soon to reduce the lag!

Boney

Banned
Good games, Boney! Samus is a character that always gives me fits, and yours was no different. I should've just switched away from Luigi (since his fireballs become useless). False's amazing Luigi inspired me to pick him up this week and wanted to get some online practice with him. Got a lot more work to do.

(After that weird/bad game on Halberd, I was determined to play one more.) :p
Noticed that lag spike in halberd got you to sd. Bummer.

We should've done more Yoshi samus match ups. It's hard for samus because of yoshi's insane aerial mobility and little end lag on his moves, so likewise it's always a match that tenses me up.

SoldnerKei

Good games! I'm glad I was finally able to play you! Your spacing is so good! I really want to get better at it. Your Link is especially really difficult to fight. In some ways I kind of hate how good Sakurai made him this time around. :p

Sorry for the Lucario/Mr. Game and Watch picks, I was afraid you might be bored fighting the same two characters over and over. Toon Link and Lucina are the only characters I really like to use in the roster, so...:/

Hopefully I'll be getting one of those adapters soon to reduce the lag!

not bored at all! like I said I haven't played many TL, and iirc not a single one with customs lol, so it was a good experience

I pick a bunch of characters but as you could tell I am not as good with them as I am with Link/ZSS/Marf, and even Marf is a char that I want to get really good with but still not quite there yet

also I need to get one of those adapters too xD
I usually have good connection with most gafers but it can be even better with one of those

Jims

Noticed that lag spike in halberd got you to sd. Bummer.

We should've done more Yoshi samus match ups. It's hard for samus because of yoshi's insane aerial mobility and little end lag on his moves, so likewise it's always a match that tenses me up.

Haha, I think that SD was because I forgot I didn't have a jump floating around up there, but for the record, we will blame a lag spike.

Yeah, we gotta do a Yoshi/Samus game sometime. It was killing me to not switch because those eggs are just made to poke Samus while she's charging (Luigi just has no options there), but I really wanted to get some Luigi practice in. Bad timing. Should've played him out the gate versus Bowser. When you Bowser Bombed me to oblivion that one match, I was determined to get a standing Yoshi Bomb in return. So satisfying when you get those.

I notice people powershield a lot around Yoshi because of his crappy grab, so I've been trying to mix in more Egg Lay but I always get lazy and complacent.

I do way better with Bowser than characters I played recently. Feels like since I learned to play this game as him, I try to play everyone but Fox like him and it doesn't work at all. Feels like you have to really learn how and when not to give a shit when playing this game, but Falco and Bowser really taught me to limit dash attacks to the point where I can't read people because they do stupid, unsafe dash attacks when I expect them to play more conservatively.

That's gonna have to be my last one. Good games Karsticles.
Jesus does Mac have any options for approaching Bowser?
Good games.

Yeah, I have lost to my fair share of Macs.

Constructive feedback:
-You roll a lot, and it gets predictable.
-You often use your jump early during recovery, making it easy to gimp you.
-Everything Bowser does besides his jab is punishable. Not many punishes on your end, usually because you are rolling.
-You don't have much of a footsies game. Dash attack is your enemy in the neutral, but you use it a lot. Block to Fortress is an easy counter.
-Jabs arent okay against Bowser until around 60%. He can passive armor through them.
-You are great at timing your counter, but it also got you killed when I would bait it.
-You have the better footsie tools. Armored smashes, ftilts, and your side B can counter everything I do. But it is a game of patience and outsmarting me. If you are predictable or unsafe, those are Bowser's two happiest moments. He is built on punishment and prediction.

Does this mean you're free, karsticles? I don't think we've ever fought yet even though we're friends.
I will play a few. Bed soon, though.

Hatchtag

Banned
Good games.

Yeah, I have lost to my fair share of Macs.

Constructive feedback:
-You roll a lot, and it gets predictable.
-You often use your jump early during recovery, making it easy to gimp you.
-Everything Bowser does besides his jab is punishable. Not many punishes on your end, usually because you are rolling.
-You don't have much of a footsies game. Dash attack is your enemy in the neutral, but you use it a lot. Block to Fortress is an easy counter.
-Jabs arent okay against Bowser until around 60%. He can passive armor through them.
-You are great at timing your counter, but it also got you killed when I would bait it.
-You have the better footsie tools. Armored smashes, ftilts, and your side B can counter everything I do. But it is a game of patience and outsmarting me. If you are predictable or unsafe, those are Bowser's two happiest moments. He is built on punishment and prediction.

I will play a few. Bed soon, though.

Thanks for the tips. How the hell do you punish whirling fortress? I couldn't figure that out for the life of me. It just comes out so fast.
Also, are there any punishes with Mac for when you're off stage? Down-smash didn't seem like it would work against Bowser, and that's Mac's go-to option for most characters.

I am not interested in playing without customs. Good game.

Thanks for the tips. How the hell do you punish whirling fortress? I couldn't figure that out for the life of me. It just comes out so fast.
Also, are there any punishes with Mac for when you're off stage? Down-smash didn't seem like it would work against Bowser, and that's Mac's go-to option for most characters.
You have to block the whole thing and counter. It possesses a lot of recovery frames.

I have never been hit by a Mac during my recovery, so I don't know. Does his dsmash hit most characters?

All right, no worries! Not quite there yet with customs. As in, I haven't bothered with any and am not sure how many I even have unlocked. I'll keep that in mind for future games.

Everytime I get hit with it I can only blame myself ("he's not going to do it this time..")... If anyone wants to play some games, short ones, nnid:direct_quote

Yo DQ, what sets do you recommend for Pally? I've been switching between 2312 and 1312 because I love Warp, but I'm interested in hearing things from the guy most known for repping the Goddess. :)

RomanceDawn

Hold shield while it happens wait for each hit then grab. Other than that nothing really but a projectile from afar. Once you get hit by it your stuck. It's Bowser's one true get off me move. Got I wish DK had that on the ground. His spinning kong is that but in the air.

Yo DQ, what sets do you recommend for Pally? I've been switching between 2312 and 1312 because I love Warp, but I'm interested in hearing things from the guy most known for repping the Goddess. :)
I do 2312, and 2112 for projectile users... I see the better Palutenas in tournaments use jump glide though because it gives great mobility options, just it's vertical distance sucks and sometimes you forget that and die..

Quote this post to see the link for Season 3 sign-ups:

I do 2312, and 2112 for projectile users... I see the better Palutenas in tournaments use jump glide though because it gives great mobility options, just it's vertical distance sucks and sometimes you forget that and die..
I think Jump Glide is better for the neutral, but Warp is better for ledge chasing and recovery. It is a matter of preference, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

If you're still here, I can play you in about an hour from now

Just woke up xD

Masked Man

I said wow

Same! EF is so slow that I wonder if Auto-Reticle might be the better choice, but the unblockable last hit can be useflu. Gonna have to play around a bit more, though.

And I agree about Jump Glide: it's good for mixups, but I prefer the safety of knowing that Warp will get me back up to the ledge over the risk of falling short with JG.

Top Bottom